Buy land for a profitable venture

Users who are viewing this thread

Grummen said:
There are some things that aren't clear though, like how much raw goods are used verses how much is produced.  Or if I fill up the warehouse with the raw materials, will they go nuts and produce an insane amount, or will it not affect production at all.

Check out the new table (3rd spoiler) I got consumption and production rates from the code.

Yeah, velvet might not be as unbalancing as I had initially thought. Some of the other facilities I setup are cheaper and produce almost as good or even better profit with no help from me.

As you pointed out, you can build a cheap place and scrap it later, and given enough time there can still be a decent ROI.

its indeed a good way to make profits. But i must say when playing without cheats, i was only able to set up like 4. And it takes a few weeks before they make up for their costs. Also I noticed that when a town is being besieged, most workshops produce much lesser income

example: halmar
(in order that gm gives it)

Kellick said:
Check out the new table (3rd spoiler) I got consumption and production rates from the code.

Yeah, velvet might not be as unbalancing as I had initially thought. Some of the other facilities I setup are cheaper and produce almost as good or even better profit with no help from me.

As you pointed out, you can build a cheap place and scrap it later, and given enough time there can still be a decent ROI.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice you'd updated the first page. Handy info to have there, it seems that oil and wine presses are two of the most inefficient industries, and ale is the most efficient. It's too bad ale just isn't worth much, though it looks like there might be a few Rhodok and Nord towns that might be profitable on the low end of the spectrum.

I started a new character to test my strategy and so far getting somewhat mixed results. I think war and village raiding is having a pretty strong detrimental affect on some of my bakeries.  Last week the one in Praven went into the red for the first time and a few of my others were producing less than half their ideal income. Luckily I don't have a very large army, but hopefully it will go back to normal soon. I've only got 5 built so far, and the first couple of weeks netted me 600ish. It isn't quite as much income as I originally thought, but once I find a good place to start my 6th and things cool down I should be getting around 700 from them, which isn't too bad for a low level character.

Yeah, while it may seem unbalancing when everything is going well, I think the fact that at any given time half the villages on the map can be looted and production at a standstill there are plenty of times when your business is not going to do so well.

One thing about grapes and olives to bear in mind, other than their presses there is no demand for them, so their prices should remain more consistent.
Even though both count as food they aren't bought as consumer goods.

Grain for instance besides being used in mills and breweries also has consumer demand.

Something to remember is that prosperity affects production, production does not affect prosperity. So sieges and looting is going to hurt prosperity, which hurts production. Bringing goods in helps production but it doesn't help prosperity. Only the caravans and villager partys and a few other things I haven't figured out yet (and which we as players have no control over anyway)

Interesting factoid: Praven has more 4x as many breweries as any other town. Coincidence? I think not.  :cool:

Kellick said:
Interesting factoid: Praven has more 4x as many breweries as any other town. Coincidence? I think not.  :cool:

Well.....

kingharlaus.jpg

(artist is unknown)

Well I'm happy to say my bakery in Praven has more than bounced back, and last week actually earned me 210, more than any of my other 4, but those are doing better as well, just not that good.

My character has been doing better financially and I've started to purchase bigger and better things, starting with the toolsmithy in Ahmerrad, which was too profitable to pass up for the price. The tool smithy has a start up cost of 3.5k and nets me around 562 a week. My next purchase was another tool smithy in Bariyye, which doesn't do quite as well, only about 320+ a week, but for the start up cost, it isn't a bad deal. I think the initial estimate was 446 a week but the market fluctuated. I then opened up a linen shop in Shariz, which brings in 630+ usually, and my latest acquisition is one of those pricey velvet shops which I was told will bring in about 600+.

My initial trait picks were geared towards being able to win tourneys early and often, and the bets I made on myself helped me bankroll my bakeries and hire a retinue, and in between I started hunting bandits to equip my companions and get some loot to sell. I haven't bought a single piece of equipment or horses, its all been looted. I also ended up having to run errands for some lady's father because I chatted her up without asking permission first  :roll: and the guildmaster in Narra wouldn't let me setup shop there until I got back on his good side. So of course he asks me the one thing that'll put me on Narra's bad side, collect taxes, so then I had to do quests for the guildmaster to settle with them.

Anyway my long term goal is to set up shops everywhere to establish a financial infrastructure that will pave the way to me taking over the world  :twisted:

So Grummen, did having a negative relationship with the town itself prevent startup?
Or was it only the lord who mattered?

Kellick said:
So Grummen, did having a negative relationship with the town itself prevent startup?

Both actually, you have to have neutral or positive standing with the lord AND the town.

Grummen said:
Kellick said:

Both actually, you have to have neutral or positive standing with the lord AND the town.

k good that's what I was expecting

it might be a stupid question, but can i get this feature implented in other mods too?
let's say age of change.
i should be able to track down all the codes needed for it. if i then just paste them in the right txt-files of the mod i can use it there too?

How much renown do you need to get this to work. Only had 30 in my last game and it worked no problem. Started new game and have 30 renown and now none of the citys will let me start a business.

Hmm strange? :smile:

@Perin- I made corrections to the initial post, although any in between I didn't. After looking through the scripts I didn't find anything about renown (that isn't conclusive there is no check though, it is highly possible I could have missed it). That being said, I tend to pick the impoverished noble background and I did so for my tests with new toon so it might be that I started with enough. You should still see the option if you have enabled the menu tweak (or turn on cheatmenu)

@William - Not a stupid question at all. It depends what version of the module system they compiled the mod with as I believe it is new to 1.12 (possibly 1.125) This is a feature that Taleworlds is still testing; it isn't something I created.

Well here is some weirdness..I updated to the latest version of Diplomacy. And it changed the 1 back to a 0. So it was turned off in my game. I don't know why that mod would even effect that part of the dialog but oh well it's working again.

I'm happy. :roll:

i read it was in beta but then disappeared.

i read through the scripts and i found it in 1.113, but their was added between '{}' that they were still working on it. i'll be trying to unlock and see if that works, than it should be able to do in all released mods.

Perrin said:
Well here is same weirdness..I updated to the latest versions of Diplomacy. And it changed the 1 back to a 0. So it was turned off in my game. I don't know why that mod would even effect that part of the dialog but oh well it's working again.

Simple if the mod replaces the edited file then the changes will be over writtten.

The Darklord said:
Perrin said:
Well here is same weirdness..I updated to the latest versions of Diplomacy. And it changed the 1 back to a 0. So it was turned off in my game. I don't know why that mod would even effect that part of the dialog but oh well it's working again.

Simple if the mod replaces the edited file then the changes will be over written.

I know that... :grin:. My question is why is it replacing a file that isn't even active in the native version, but it doesn't really matter it's working again.

Just a small update since I am not playing until the next patch is released (at least for beta) and the module system synchronized to the live module.
I added Monnikje's analysis to the main post (another spoiler to keep the page size reasonable) which if you follow Me, Floris you read last chapter.

Just a small bit of information I haven't seen anyone else give yet, I was able to close and sell my bread mills for 1,200 denars each. Since I opened them all at different times, it seems safe to assume there is only a one time, flat depreciation of roughly 20%. I haven't had cause to sell any other businesses, but I imagine they're all about the same. This information significantly advances my theory that as a low level character, bread mills are a viable entry point investment, even more so than I originally thought.

Back
Top Bottom