Beta Patch Notes e1.5.7

Users who are viewing this thread

I understand what a beta is. I expect new features to incomplete, wonky, buggy. That's fine.

What I don't expect is repeated regression on things like menu performance or overall performance. Obvious memory leaks. Repeated statements that something is fixed when it isn't or it pops back up after being fixed. It's amateurish.

We're approaching a year of EA. This isn't a 2-man indie company; it is a well-funded professional studio making a sequel in a beloved franchise. If you want people to test the beta, basic UI functionality needs to work. Testers shouldn't have reboot every couple of hours due to a memory leak.

This isn't a knock on the devs. It seems more like a planning and organization thing.

What I don't expect is repeated regression on things like menu performance or overall performance. Obvious memory leaks. Repeated statements that something is fixed when it isn't or it pops back up after being fixed. It's amateurish.
That actually occurs fairly regularly when you're constantly refactoring code. "Oh hey, let's move this bit in its own method for better clarity and maintainability" and then bam, you forgot to pass the argument by reference, the returned value isn't set to the correct variable, etc. You broke what just got fixed. That's what happened to dismount with 1.5.6 (was working in 1.5.5, got broken in beta 1.5.6 because they moved stuff around). Refactoring is a necessity in pretty much any large and evolving project.

I carried over my 1.5.6 save over to 1.5.7 since I was on a good run. It worked fine and I like the new education for young siblings and children that eventually come in.

The biggest issue though, like some other posters noticed, is the performance issue. Stuttering in campaign map become a much bigger issue in 1.5.7 even though the battle seem to run smoother. I tried to play around with graphics setting to see if it improve. If anyone has any suggestion on what to turn down (my rig is mid range: 3700x + 5700 XT + 32Gb RAM) to keep the stuttering at bay, I would be grateful.

Reason of map stuttering is found. It will be fixed with next hotfix (probably tomorrow).

With patch 1.5.7, minor freezes and lags began, which I had not previously noticed in the game. Starting a new company did not improve the situation. A question for developers: is it really that hard to add the ability to choose between the new and old ordering system? Give people the freedom to choose. And for console players, you can generally make one-button control :xf-smile:, if the old control was difficult for them ... If only it did not interfere with PC players.

It's a minor thing, but in 1.5.7. most helmets seem to be off somehow, like they are position lower than what they should be, just check various troops trees to see what I mean.

ok,
- as of new pt i see 3 villages in Sturgian land with only one notable left. which means this village is dead. it serves no purpose unless i want some raw resources... like a cow for quest >_>
- issues be it village or town are rather rare, which means less charm, fewer troops, less renown, fewer supporters. a little add to this, artisans and merchants, in general, provide fewer quests than before. gang leaders always have something going on though.
- in 1.5.6. certain quests provided us with village-wide relation bonuses, like bring X number of tools. it's a good thing, considering that we need like 40 relation with notables to unlock all recruitment options, change of relation with all notables available from a single quest is nice. but you guys really need to change how scaling works. deliver 37 cows? really? just set a certain number of goods but scale reward with charm or something. there is a huge difference between fetch x number of goods quests and quests like "in and out", when you just go to the tavern, pay the dude, get your 200%++ profit and relation.
- and maybe it's my mice is getting old, but i experience an issue with shield bash after blocking. character stuck in blocking and i can't perform a bash unless i stop blocking with the following consequences (like an axe in the face from a mob)
----
guys, like... put some cloth on female children, please. >_>

Last edited:
Thanks @mexxico. Any chance this is also affecting sluggish UI response?
The performance problems may not be directly related to UI but shaders. This is something we are looking into. Anybody who is experiencing performance issues can help with this process by switching to the telemetry branch and sending us a recording of the issue. Please note the telemetry branch is using version 1.5.6 (so it is practical for MP as well). However, likely these issues affect both versions.

Settlement Actions (Town, Village, Castle and Hideout)
  • Notables were starting with too much power, nearly all had 200+ power (powerful). This has been balanced, 20% are now powerful (200+) while 60% are influential (100-200).
Well this is disappointing, personally it was nice to finally see and have some option to recruit noble troops without having to convert bandits. We are now back to it being a rarity and villages dropping down to 1 notable due to low power. I still think its wrong the most viable option for recruiting noble troops is through bandits.

Why does TW have the opinion that noble troops from villages need to be rare (only from landowners who are powerful (200+)? Also im curious if this reduction in notable power hit landowners harder than the other types by accident or if it was a reduction to 20% of notables of each type. Personally I only care about the power level of landowners, and honestly I wish it wasn't a factor in recruiting. It should simply be how long has a troop been siting in a village to decide their tier, but I digress.

Who actually has the time in game to spend focusing on a village notables power level, we don't even have easy options to increase landowners power levels (like investing in them) and have to get lucky with quests.

The performance problems may not be directly related to UI but shaders. This is something we are looking into. Anybody who is experiencing performance issues can help with this process by switching to the telemetry branch and sending us a recording of the issue. Please note the telemetry branch is using version 1.5.6 (so it is practical for MP as well). However, likely these issues affect both versions.

Roger. Will do later today.

Well this is disappointing, personally it was nice to finally see and have some option to recruit noble troops without having to convert bandits. We are now back to it being a rarity and villages dropping down to 1 notable due to low power. I still think its wrong the most viable option for recruiting noble troops is through bandits.

Why does TW have the opinion that noble troops from villages need to be rare (only from landowners who are powerful (200+)? Also im curious if this reduction in notable power hit landowners harder than the other types by accident or if it was a reduction to 20% of notables of each type. Personally I only care about the power level of landowners, and honestly I wish it wasn't a factor in recruiting. It should simply be how long has a troop been siting in a village to decide their tier, but I digress.

Who actually has the time in game to spend focusing on a village notables power level, we don't even have easy options to increase landowners power levels (like investing in them) and have to get lucky with quests.

While I do agree with this, I have to say that it was unbalanced in 1.5.6. I started a campaign where I was able to get 50 Vlandian Knights before day 100 (I got the perk which gives an extra recruiting slot).

I would love to see some kind of notables in castles giving access to noble troops.

Back
Top Bottom