Best trade perks? Workshop or Caravan

Users who are viewing this thread

I am doing a dedicated trader playthrough this time and I am wondering which perks work best.
BTW not a fan of the mandatory choice between two perks.

Apraisser vs Whole Seller:
Appraiser
15% decrease in sell price penalty for equipments.
Your profits are marked.

Whole Seller
15% decrease in sell price penalty for trade goods.
Your profits are marked.

As a trader I choose Whole Seller. But the amount of loot after battles makes me think that a bonus to selling equipment in the long run is way more profitable.

Caravan Master vs Market Dealer:
Caravan Master
Party can carry 30% more weight.
Mark item prices relative to average price.

Market Dealer:
Your shop have 20% less upkeep.
Mark item prices relative to average price.

Does the Caravan Master perk only apply to your weight limit or also to your caravans?
At to moment I cannot check in-game, but what is the average upkeep for a workshop and is the 20% reduction a good investment?

Traveling rumors VS Local connection
Traveling rumors:
Your caravans gather trade rumors.
15% decrease in buy price penalty from villages.

Local connection:
Your workshops gather trade rumors.
15% decrease in sell price penalty for Animals.

I think both options are ok. Is there a big difference between the trade rumors? I assume that if you pick up items at a town where you have a workshop, you can benefit directly from a good rumor related to the finished product.

Any advice on the way to go as a trader?

I usually pick whole seller for my character and appraiser for parties because you get enough money for battles either way. Whole seller is better to get more trading xp I think since you get more profit.
Shops have a little upkeep so I go for caravan master since the new herd penalty, that way I can carry extra war horses for upgrades.
And the last one depends, I prefer travelling rumors since I buy a lot from villages, but you can make a huge profit with local connections.
Those are my 2 cents

Are all of those perks actually implemented in game (1.5.4)? I've alternated different characters between the caravan and workshop perks (mostly in 1.5.3) and can't really tell if there was a difference at all.

Strategically, I'd go for the workshop perks, as once I've got a city or 3, I move all my workshops there to avoid the capriciousness of kings. By contrast, caravans make more sense early-game before going merc and having vast portions of the map hostile and ready to chew up said caravans. Avoiding losing caravans OR workshops--at 15k each--seems to be highest priority.

Late-game caravans get snuffed too easily; and by then my companions are better use as governors or party leaders. Yet companions leading caravans seem to level up quick in scout, steward & trade...making them good governors later on.

Back
Top Bottom