Using workshops the way they're intended actually prevents levelling the trade skill

Users who are viewing this thread

When you buy resources as cheap as you can find them and use warehouses as a production hub to sell in faraway places, esp if you put in the effort to make even somewhat of a monopoly, you can make absurd profits off even 1 warehouse.

Even with oil, which is not the best resource to trade by any means, you can buy olives for around 10-15 and sell the oil it produces for 300+ depending on how monopolized the market is. Those are huge margins that even compare to traditional merc/warlord playthroughs and smithing.

The downside is that for some reason your trade skill doesn't level when selling goods your workshops produce if you pick them up from the warehouse. As far as I can tell this doesn't count toward any skill, which seems like an oversight. Imo, this should level your trade skill at more than the standard rate, as it is a pretty advanced way to trade esp if you're building monopolies. It's kinda the monolith for a trader playthrough.

Bug? Oversight? Intended? I do love this game and can say that trading is definitely improved from what it was in EA, as I couldn't really stand it at the time and am now thoroughly enjoying it. Hope to see this count toward something in the future.

Yeah, maxing out Trade would be a cinch if the money made between the difference in Input (say, 10 denars for 1 Raw Silk) and Output (say, 1,000 for one Velvet bolt) contributed to Trade XP.

As it stands, you have to buy your own produced stock (say, 500 for 1 Velvet bolt) and sell it abroad (for, probably, 1,000+) at a much lower profit to get the Trade XP, making it stupidly gamey if you want to use Workshops to grind Trade XP rather than actually maximize your bottom line.

This should definitely be looked at by the developers. I'm guessing it's an oversight because Warehouses probably weren't on the original design document so this specific situation was most likely not accounted for.

I heartily agree with the idea of getting trade XP when micromanaging warehouses.

The current gain from saving output into the warehouse is miniscule and not noticeable past 50 - 100 trade skill. I honestly only saw its affect from 0 - 15 or so, then I began trying to increase the trade skill in other, more traditional ways (read: exploiting a loophole because it goes up so slowly :cry:).

48. Workshops.
  • The total price for purchasing a workshop has been reduced to its real value.
  • When selling his workshop, the AI takes a small premium for the prosperity of the city.
  • Each workshop in the city now has its own price.
  • By price, you can determine success workshop.
  • The purchase price of a workshop depends on the prosperity of the city and the current capital of the workshop.
  • You buy a workshop with its current capital, as it is at the moment.
  • The player's selling price for the workshop has been increased to its real value.
  • The player sells his workshop without a markup, because the AI increases the workshop's capital after the purchase.
  • Now it is profitable for the player to buy cheap workshops and sell them after increasing capital.
  • If the workshop is close to bankruptcy (capital less than 5000), then it is profitable for the player to sell it and buy it again.
  • The price for changing production has been reduced to 800 coins, when purchased on a campaign map.
  • You can buy equipment to change production in another city.
  • The price of equipment depends on the prosperity of the city.
  • You can buy cheap equipment in a city with better prosperity for a workshop in another city.
  • Increased passive trading experience when producing products for storage.
  • The experience depends on the player's trading skill level.
  • The storage capacity for workshops has been increased to 12,000.
  • The number of workshops available to the player has been increased.
  • The number of workshops depends on the clan level and the number of cities owned by the player.

48. Workshops.
  • When selling his workshop, the AI takes a small premium for the prosperity of the city.
  • The purchase price of a workshop depends on the prosperity of the city and the current capital of the workshop.
  • The player's selling price for the workshop has been increased to its real value.
  • The player sells his workshop without a markup, because the AI increases the workshop's capital after the purchase.
  • Now it is profitable for the player to buy cheap workshops and sell them after increasing capital.
  • If the workshop is close to bankruptcy (capital less than 5000), then it is profitable for the player to sell it and buy it again.
  • The price for changing production has been reduced to 800 coins, when purchased on a campaign map.
  • You can buy cheap equipment in a city with better prosperity for a workshop in another city.
  • The number of workshops depends on the clan level and the number of cities owned by the player.
Great improvements!
After 1 playthrhough as a merchant i never tried it again, it felt lacking especially if you consider the huge amount of money you can earn by just fighting.
1 suggestion i made was to combine caravan management with workshop management. If you can manually connect your caravan routes to your workshops you have more controle of your trade network. Control over you caravans is needed anawy. I would like to set their routes manually, so they can avoid certain areas and can focus on specific goods.

48. Workshops.
Are these actual patch notes for the vanilla version. Or is this a mod? Grtz Vaan.

I think it is a mod... the warehouses I last looked at in my last game did not have a storage capacity of 12000. Unless this is the next upcoming patch?

I am just assuming it is a mod.

1 suggestion i made was to combine caravan management with workshop management. If you can manually connect your caravan routes to your workshops you have more controle of your trade network.

That would me awesome. This is the sort of automation I would expect as a king! You: make things for me! You: go sell those things.
Everybody bring me all the moneys while I sit on my cushy throne. :cool: Or while I lead armies, anyways. :twisted:

Or at least, let me send my freshly crafted weapons away in a caravan to sell elsewhere so I am not having to do it myself. :wink: I always get amused when a town runs completely out of cash in the market place. :lol: That is one change I like from warband: one big market instead of individual venders.

Great improvements!
After 1 playthrhough as a merchant i never tried it again, it felt lacking especially if you consider the huge amount of money you can earn by just fighting.
1 suggestion i made was to combine caravan management with workshop management. If you can manually connect your caravan routes to your workshops you have more controle of your trade network. Control over you caravans is needed anawy. I would like to set their routes manually, so they can avoid certain areas and can focus on specific goods.
Totally agree on letting us set up routes or like we have with the clan party control agressive, neutral and defensive.
So if its defensive it will rather focus on just your own kingdome's cities.

Still irks me how they could in some cases just run back and forth between 2 cities in teh kingdome and make a killing(like I do..) but no.. lets pick up a few units here and travel all to the other side of the "world".

When you buy resources as cheap as you can find them and use warehouses as a production hub to sell in faraway places, esp if you put in the effort to make even somewhat of a monopoly, you can make absurd profits off even 1 warehouse.

Even with oil, which is not the best resource to trade by any means, you can buy olives for around 10-15 and sell the oil it produces for 300+ depending on how monopolized the market is. Those are huge margins that even compare to traditional merc/warlord playthroughs and smithing.

The downside is that for some reason your trade skill doesn't level when selling goods your workshops produce if you pick them up from the warehouse. As far as I can tell this doesn't count toward any skill, which seems like an oversight. Imo, this should level your trade skill at more than the standard rate, as it is a pretty advanced way to trade esp if you're building monopolies. It's kinda the monolith for a trader playthrough.

Bug? Oversight? Intended? I do love this game and can say that trading is definitely improved from what it was in EA, as I couldn't really stand it at the time and am now thoroughly enjoying it. Hope to see this count toward something in the future.
You get Trade XP for diverting outputs to the Warehouse. It's not much, but you do get XP.
If you have a lot of the output, you can it all at once to a Trader that has the lowest price you can find, then buy most or all of it back and sell it at another Trader that has a higher price. This works best if you have hundreds or thousands of an item, but it will still work with just a few. You will lose a bit of money off the first sale, but gain it back and more off the second.

In my opinion, the current problem of workshops is the lack of demand for the goods they produce.
Cities consume mainly goods produced in villages, and goods from workshops are added as a percentage of all goods, this makes them unnecessary and cheap.
Finished products should have higher selling priority than raw materials.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the current problem of workshops is the lack of demand for the goods they produce.
Cities consume mainly goods produced in villages, and goods from workshops are added as a percentage of all goods, this makes them unnecessary and cheap.
Finished products should have higher selling priority than raw materials.
This is covered with demand. The luxury demand adds consumption of output products. There's a chart floating around that shows the new demand numbers that were added in an update.

Back
Top Bottom