SP - Economy Workshops and Caravans

Users who are viewing this thread

Flesson19

Not a Cookie
Knight
@Duh_TaleWorlds @Dejan I have to ask again since nothing has been done in a year. When will caravans and workshops get help in the game. Workshops costs too much and give very little return especially early game when the economy hasn't stabilized. And caravans are ok but once again why doesnt the trade skill f the caravan master make a difference. The difference from 0 to 300 skill might be 20%. That is virtually nothing.
I was told you guys would evaluate it and make changes as needed. I have given data for years and yet nothing is done. Why are these mechanics ignored for years?

As expected nothing but crickets. I am finally doing a workshop video, my first since 1.1.6 and get ready people. You will see how bad things have fallen since full release. Many shops losing money. Working as Intended TM, I guess

Just wanted to "+1" this topic since I do believe Workshops need a buff in baseline profitability since you pretty much have to monopolize and shrink the market to make real money as it currently stands and it should be profitable enough (maybe averaging 150-200 silvers per day in a non-inflated economy) that you don't need to be married to the lifestyle to make it work.

My suspicion is that the root issue is supply and demand; there's too much supply (hence frequent Haltings) and not enough demand (hence low to non-existent profits when not trying corner and shrink the industry). A simple fix might be to just increase the demand of goods or the cut of the share players get from the workshop (perhaps even cheating in the money Workshops. need to add to their Capital if necessary).

I still want the ability for players to become Caravan leader in battles, see your caravan in trouble, click a certain key, and you are commanding the caravan forces against the bandits.

Should be very easy to implement and add substantially to game play.

Just wanted to "+1" this topic since I do believe Workshops need a buff in baseline profitability since you pretty much have to monopolize and shrink the market to make real money as it currently stands and it should be profitable enough (maybe averaging 150-200 silvers per day in a non-inflated economy) that you don't need to be married to the lifestyle to make it work.

My suspicion is that the root issue is supply and demand; there's too much supply (hence frequent Haltings) and not enough demand (hence low to non-existent profits when not trying corner and shrink the industry). A simple fix might be to just increase the demand of goods or the cut of the share players get from the workshop (perhaps even cheating in the money Workshops. need to add to their Capital if necessary).
I think your on to something, as the game advances, the goods seem to get more rare driving up the cost of things. I know there is also inflation but look how tough it is to get certain things later in the game. But I think like the last 1-2 years, it will go mostly ignored by TW as they don't feel it important enough

I too am sick of how little money caravans and workshops produce compared to how much they spend on merchandise. It would be nice if workshops especially where given a leveling system. Something that revolved around, the higher the level ofvthe workshop, the better to quality of the product (especially for the wood workshops since they produce bows and crossbows)

I think your on to something, as the game advances, the goods seem to get more rare driving up the cost of things. I know there is also inflation but look how tough it is to get certain things later in the game. But I think like the last 1-2 years, it will go mostly ignored by TW as they don't feel it important enough
I remember, when I did a long (to completion) playthrough last-ish year, prices changed quite a bit after 20 or so in-game years with the result being you could stop at one town for 6 denar Grain and sell it for 20 per unit at the next as the new normal. Luxury goods likewise had a high contrast.

But that's way in the future, beyond when you really need itinerant trading to be profitable. In my continued playing with the economy as a would-be monopolist of Oil and Velvet, I can confirm this practice is a highly effective way of not just making money but getting very rich as well. Again, I don't think smoking a cigar and tipping a fedora (m'lady), er, I mean, top hat, should be necessary to make mercantilism a viable gameplay route to paying your soldiers' bills but I can say it's at least an effective way to save for potential political entry if you like to do as I do and play it safe, stack the deck, raise lots of kids, and/or shake up your norm with tourism and mercantilism for its own sake.

I too am sick of how little money caravans and workshops produce compared to how much they spend on merchandise. It would be nice if workshops especially where given a leveling system. Something that revolved around, the higher the level ofvthe workshop, the better to quality of the product (especially for the wood workshops since they produce bows and crossbows)

I remember their being a "Workshop level" thing in 1.0 (early this year) but apparently having no gameplay affect (I'm guessing because it wouldn't really be a benefit to inflate the circulation of goods further). It would certainly help curb inflation by simply having goods, especially high end luxuries and low-end but popular consumables, have half a dozen or so variants based on quality.

I wonder how warehouses and monopolizing the board might make the Hardwood and Smithy industries profitable. I can already imagine trying to corner the beer industry and selling it at a huge cost; it might be decently profitable since it seems like middle and more common tier produced goods compensate for lack of individual quality with greater quantity and maintaining value while selling itself at higher numbers per batch.

I remember their being a "Workshop level" thing in 1.0 (early this year) but apparently having no gameplay affect (I'm guessing because it wouldn't really be a benefit to inflate the circulation of goods further). It would certainly help curb inflation by simply having goods, especially high end luxuries and low-end but popular consumables, have half a dozen or so variants based on quality.

I wonder how warehouses and monopolizing the board might make the Hardwood and Smithy industries profitable. I can already imagine trying to corner the beer industry and selling it at a huge cost; it might be decently profitable since it seems like middle and more common tier produced goods compensate for lack of individual quality with greater quantity and maintaining value while selling itself at higher numbers per batch.
😆 if they ever added a campaign multiplayer id love to play with you.you can monopolise the market while i war monger the world 😆

Im too impatient to monopolise the market, i make most of my income from breeding horses and selling loot.

I usually play as the Battanians, and I call my clan Horse Lords of Lewis. Im always a cavalry based clan (because i love horses and im too impatient to charge the enemy on foot, plus i like to win fights being outnumberd by 500+, and the tactics system on console is very broken ypu vant order cavalry to charge without ordering all unots to charge. The problem with that for me is how much time it takes on console to individually order different formations into position, because i like to be in the thick of the battle getting kills to keep moral up and minimise troop loss, so cavalryall the way for me lol.)

Last edited:
😆 if they ever added a campaign multiplayer id love to play with you.you can monopolise the market while i war monger the world 😆

Im too impatient to monopolise the market, i make most of my income from breeding horses and selling loot.

I usually play as the Battanians, and I call my clan Horse Lords of Lewis. Im always a cavalry based clan (because i love horses and im too impatient to charge the enemy on foot, plus i like to win fights being outnumberd by 500+, and the tactics system on console is very broken ypu vant order cavalry to charge without ordering all unots to charge. The problem with that for me is how much time it takes on console to individually order different formations into position, because i like to be in the thick of the battle getting kills to keep moral up and minimise troop loss, so cavalryall the way for me lol.)
Lol. I don't think that'd be playable in a realistic level of time given it's a massive time sink. :razz:

You can do everything on consoles that you can on PC (except console commands, etc.) as far as battles are concerned--you probably just haven't figured the U.I. out yet since it's clunky and unintuitive as hell but fully functional and even muscle-memorizable once you figure it out. For starters, to select an individual company of troops, make sure the other company cards are darkened by pressing down twice (or was it up twice? Something like that) and you'll have only the one card your cursor's on highlighted for orders. I recommend using looters for controls practice since they're low-stakes enough to get away with the risk.

Although I have a few hundred hours with this game, I consider myself relatively new since it's rather slow paced and there's numerous stuff to do. I've played a Battanian man twice but I decided to play as an Imperial since they changed the way cultural inheritance works and I don't want my kids being cultural Battanians due to their ugly hairs and garments. Before patch 1.1, culture was inherited from the mother (leading to a lot of cultural diversity among clans over time) but now it's from the father (which has homogenized cultures of clans since women generally leave their clans to enter their husbands unless the woman in question is a clan head, in which case the man enters her clan).

I've united the world in 2 generations (~40 years) for my first playthrough and left my second one paused indefinitely to start my current/third one after the latest patch. I spent a lot of time in the slammer in the first playthrough due to losing battles (etc.) so I've redeveloped by Warband-era routine of making sure I've got the deck stacked in my favor so I'm not robbed and destitute just because I walked down the wrong goat trail on the wrong afternoon lol.

EDIT: At any rate, I gotta make sure I don't derail this suggestion thread so I'll conclude this tangent with another push for buffing the demand of consumers in Calradia since, as it is, there's too much supply relative to demand for Workshops to be profitable without playing Mr. Monopoly and shutting down you competition.

Lol. I don't think that'd be playable in a realistic level of time given it's a massive time sink. :razz:

You can do everything on consoles that you can on PC (except console commands, etc.) as far as battles are concerned--you probably just haven't figured the U.I. out yet since it's clunky and unintuitive as hell but fully functional and even muscle-memorizable once you figure it out. For starters, to select an individual company of troops, make sure the other company cards are darkened by pressing down twice (or was it up twice? Something like that) and you'll have only the one card your cursor's on highlighted for orders. I recommend using looters for controls practice since they're low-stakes enough to get away with the risk.

Although I have a few hundred hours with this game, I consider myself relatively new since it's rather slow paced and there's numerous stuff to do. I've played a Battanian man twice but I decided to play as an Imperial since they changed the way cultural inheritance works and I don't want my kids being cultural Battanians due to their ugly hairs and garments. Before patch 1.1, culture was inherited from the mother (leading to a lot of cultural diversity among clans over time) but now it's from the father (which has homogenized cultures of clans since women generally leave their clans to enter their husbands unless the woman in question is a clan head, in which case the man enters her clan).

I've united the world in 2 generations (~40 years) for my first playthrough and left my second one paused indefinitely to start my current/third one after the latest patch. I spent a lot of time in the slammer in the first playthrough due to losing battles (etc.) so I've redeveloped by Warband-era routine of making sure I've got the deck stacked in my favor so I'm not robbed and destitute just because I walked down the wrong goat trail on the wrong afternoon lol.

EDIT: At any rate, I gotta make sure I don't derail this suggestion thread so I'll conclude this tangent with another push for buffing the demand of consumers in Calradia since, as it is, there's too much supply relative to demand for Workshops to be profitable without playing Mr. Monopoly and shutting down you competition.
The problem there again is, the xbox is full of bugs, and even when i only select 1 troop, the moment i tell them charge, everyone charges 😆 so i gave on most tactics except follow and charge. So if im outnumberd. I just get everyone to follow me. And while the infantry catch up, i flank them with the horses and say CHARGE 😆
It works wonders when youre a Horse lord. A army of 60 cavalry 60 hose archers 40 infantry and 40 archers (all elites) can easily wipe out a army of 800+ while only using follow and charge commands if ypu use them at the right moment. Itcworks especially well in forests and mountains. It makes it easier for the cavalry to get around to their sides and attack from behind while the infantry charge the front

Last edited:
Anotehr thing i've pm'ed Flesson about in a question about my observation of the workshop and consumption of raw goods.

I had a smithy in Varnapol, which uses Iron ore, one of the attached towns produce Iron.
There was in Balgard an smithy aswell, I purchased this and put in a wine instead(relative good profit in theese for Sturgia, specially if you provide/ensure there is raw mats, buy cheap grapes in Battania).

Yet the smithy in Vanapol kept on being "no raw mats" in town, as it was "too much of a demand" for the mats.
I did start makeing profit, when I dumped mats in the inventory though.

In another play I had smithy in Epicroeta, this have 1 direct attached iron ore produceing + 1 from the castle, both villages very close to the towncenter, so few times that bandit interfered with delivery etc.

This town I had no need to micromanage at all.

This is part of the problem with some of the mechanics, that some raw materials have either to high demand so there is shortages in the towns, or they consume way too much mats 6 units to make tools? at most it should be 3 ideally revert back to 2.

Then you have the other issue if you base it on real world.
Wages for a workshop, in Sturgia which is relative speaking poor, the wages isnt the same as in a rich city of the Empire.
This isnt reflected either.

an easy way to fix it (well not easy perhaps in terms of programming, since I dont know that aspect) - but to have wages reflect on the prosperity of a town, and cap it at 1 point.
The other is to have our skills in trade instead of giveing 25% production increase, instead give 25% wage decrease, that would in most cases ensure that the workshops was profitable.

Overall the game is "too hard" to figure it out if you are just a casual gamer mindset to find out what workshops actually give profit in what towns, as I've tapped into you'd obviously think that haveing a smithy in Balgard or Varnapol both would make a profit, based on just town's own consumption or villages need for tools or weapons etc, but it dont - go for oil and wine, thats the real moneymakers now even if very often they will have shortage of supplies(unless you micromanage) it will typically yield you 300 and upwards of 450 a turn(and you dont need to micromanage the sales either).

Overall vs warband I think you just made "it to advanced" for its own good at this point.
There is a balance between "fun and realisme" and you strayed to far into realisme realm.
This is a game that should not have so "niche aspects" that casual gamers fall of from makeing a fair profit(I'm not talking about 100's of denars, but atleast 50-250 consistent without the need for the player to micromanage all the aspects of the game)

Dont get me wrong I know how to set'em up profitable, but I just see that too many struggle around with it, even if the guides by players out there is excellent.

Anotehr thing i've pm'ed Flesson about in a question about my observation of the workshop and consumption of raw goods.

I had a smithy in Varnapol, which uses Iron ore, one of the attached towns produce Iron.
There was in Balgard an smithy aswell, I purchased this and put in a wine instead(relative good profit in theese for Sturgia, specially if you provide/ensure there is raw mats, buy cheap grapes in Battania).

Yet the smithy in Vanapol kept on being "no raw mats" in town, as it was "too much of a demand" for the mats.
I did start makeing profit, when I dumped mats in the inventory though.

In another play I had smithy in Epicroeta, this have 1 direct attached iron ore produceing + 1 from the castle, both villages very close to the towncenter, so few times that bandit interfered with delivery etc.

This town I had no need to micromanage at all.

This is part of the problem with some of the mechanics, that some raw materials have either to high demand so there is shortages in the towns, or they consume way too much mats 6 units to make tools? at most it should be 3 ideally revert back to 2.

Then you have the other issue if you base it on real world.
Wages for a workshop, in Sturgia which is relative speaking poor, the wages isnt the same as in a rich city of the Empire.
This isnt reflected either.

an easy way to fix it (well not easy perhaps in terms of programming, since I dont know that aspect) - but to have wages reflect on the prosperity of a town, and cap it at 1 point.
The other is to have our skills in trade instead of giveing 25% production increase, instead give 25% wage decrease, that would in most cases ensure that the workshops was profitable.

Overall the game is "too hard" to figure it out if you are just a casual gamer mindset to find out what workshops actually give profit in what towns, as I've tapped into you'd obviously think that haveing a smithy in Balgard or Varnapol both would make a profit, based on just town's own consumption or villages need for tools or weapons etc, but it dont - go for oil and wine, thats the real moneymakers now even if very often they will have shortage of supplies(unless you micromanage) it will typically yield you 300 and upwards of 450 a turn(and you dont need to micromanage the sales either).

Overall vs warband I think you just made "it to advanced" for its own good at this point.
There is a balance between "fun and realisme" and you strayed to far into realisme realm.
This is a game that should not have so "niche aspects" that casual gamers fall of from makeing a fair profit(I'm not talking about 100's of denars, but atleast 50-250 consistent without the need for the player to micromanage all the aspects of the game)

Dont get me wrong I know how to set'em up profitable, but I just see that too many struggle around with it, even if the guides by players out there is excellent.
The plus side with there being a shortage, is that you can make a serious profit by manually selling the materials to them as well as profit off your workshop. (Too much work for my liking, idctather pilage an army)

Smithy are in terrible shape. The main issue is the cost of iron ore is so cheap that caravans swoop it up fast. Now TW did decrease the consumption of iron however they also made a horrendous mistake as they "lowered" how much villages produce. They might think it washes out but using less is better so more will be in town, but in fact it had the opposite effect. Caravans take it all and less production means less coming in. When they made the change, I notified the devs and they havent felt a change was needed so smithy are one of the worst shops in the game, something I will cover Friday when my 1.2.7 workshop video releases. This is defiantly a video TW doesn't want to see.....bad news coming

As an aside, I'm curious what TW's intended gameplay loop is fo mercantilism since Warehouses are a game changer and do work to make Workshops profitable even if you aren't playing Mr. Monopoly Man.

At the very least, I do believe this is something they're tinkering with since Warehouses probably wouldn't exist if this game mode was inconsequential to them, but I have no idea what their intended end state is since it's very bad for passive income but good, exponentially so if you corner the global market, for selling actively and getting that Mr. Monopoly game started.

Then there's the inconsistencies with what raises Trade. Or rather, things that don't but ought to, from running Workshops (especially when Caravans do provide passive XP) to manually selling their produce (even when sold for a massive profit when you compare the cost of the raw material versus what you sell it for abroad). This makes getting to 300 Trade a lot slower than it could be, and I wouldn't be surprised if these inconsistencies are the result of the developers not recognizing them due to lack of attention on them but they clearly have heard a few things, at least, since I remember it being a huge update at the start of this year when they lowered the needed Trade XP to max it out and made it so Caravans provide passive Trade XP gains.

Now, a question because I don't know for myself, are Caravans safe to operate when you're a vassal/royal? I assume they'll suicide into hostile states rather than avoid them, so I figure it's effectively mutually exclusive with becoming a politician, but am I wrong and they're generally safe and sensible instead? Paying for the more expensive ones has resulted in zero bandit raids over the years I've been operating them from 1086 to 1092, with one exception that ended favorably (maybe because most of them are guys with combat stats and some with Scouting rather than normal, squishy merchants? I am trying to use it as an opportunity to grind up their leader stats so I might make nobles out of them down the line, after all).

As an aside, I'm curious what TW's intended gameplay loop is fo mercantilism since Warehouses are a game changer and do work to make Workshops profitable even if you aren't playing Mr. Monopoly Man.

At the very least, I do believe this is something they're tinkering with since Warehouses probably wouldn't exist if this game mode was inconsequential to them, but I have no idea what their intended end state is since it's very bad for passive income but good, exponentially so if you corner the global market, for selling actively and getting that Mr. Monopoly game started.

Then there's the inconsistencies with what raises Trade. Or rather, things that don't but ought to, from running Workshops (especially when Caravans do provide passive XP) to manually selling their produce (even when sold for a massive profit when you compare the cost of the raw material versus what you sell it for abroad). This makes getting to 300 Trade a lot slower than it could be, and I wouldn't be surprised if these inconsistencies are the result of the developers not recognizing them due to lack of attention on them but they clearly have heard a few things, at least, since I remember it being a huge update at the start of this year when they lowered the needed Trade XP to max it out and made it so Caravans provide passive Trade XP gains.

Now, a question because I don't know for myself, are Caravans safe to operate when you're a vassal/royal? I assume they'll suicide into hostile states rather than avoid them, so I figure it's effectively mutually exclusive with becoming a politician, but am I wrong and they're generally safe and sensible instead? Paying for the more expensive ones has resulted in zero bandit raids over the years I've been operating them from 1086 to 1092, with one exception that ended favorably (maybe because most of them are guys with combat stats and some with Scouting rather than normal, squishy merchants? I am trying to use it as an opportunity to grind up their leader stats so I might make nobles out of them down the line, after all).

From my findings on the Caravan, even if you have the right skills its not really a good investmen it you are a vassal/ruler, as you say they take suicidal routes and get raided too frequent.
Specially when you look at the profit they have pr day which is not very good, then divide by investment 15000/25000, and see how many days they need to operate, vs how long it takes before they get raided.
Sometimes if you are lucky it can be profitable, but its overall "too high risk vs real reward" imo.
Meaning for me I found the erratic income from workshops better, since its not that likely a town will be captured as easily as a caravan raided(and if the town is sieged, you can jump in to defend it aswell..)

Ai for caravans should be abit smarter in terms of avoiding routes through hostilelands.
When you are Sturgia, and the caravan want to trade with Aserai, and you are at war with Khuzait + Western + Northern Empire, the ai should pick the "long scenic route" instead and go around Battania, Vlandia(at that time Ortysia and the castles was in the hands of Aserai + Vlandia in my play so).
The ai seems to only take the shortest route, which kind of makes sense, but not when its through hostile lands.
And with all the lords typically haveing relative small parties, or just being too many of them, it will lead to an interception too frequently.
Scouting is a must though, and that "you pick" the right perks for the tradercompanion, it will help, but still way to frequent I just dont find it a worthwhile investment.
The other skill that is ideal is as you say the combatskills, those are far better than haveing "a merchant".

Sometimes if you are lucky it can be profitable, but its overall "too high risk vs real reward" imo.
Meaning for me I found the erratic income from workshops better, since its not that likely a town will be captured as easily as a caravan raided(and if the town is sieged, you can jump in to defend it aswell..)
Sounds like I should shut down my caravans once I'm ready to enter politics. They're very profitable as they are, averaging 500 denars of profit per day and 6 of them now means 3,000 per day on average, but I don't think it's worth the risk of losing them and the costs of reconstitution to keep them once I'm committed to wars and politics.

Workshops are something I have a question about: do they shut down when the city hosting them is seized and you're a neutral party? Will my Velvet Dyeworks be taken from me in, say Argoron and Myzea, if somebody conquers them despite me being neutral? I know this happens when you're at war with the conqueror but no idea what happens when at peace.

Scouting is a must though, and that "you pick" the right perks for the tradercompanion, it will help, but still way to frequent I just dont find it a worthwhile investment.
The other skill that is ideal is as you say the combatskills, those are far better than haveing "a merchant".
Yeah, my designated merchant caravaner may or may not be making more money on average, but I can say Orachos the Bull bullied whoever tried to mug him since he had zero losses and got stronger from the fight. I think it might be a good way to drill up companions you want to be leaders in the future, but it's hard to say since I mostly hire meat heads to run my caravans and avoid bookworms since my own character is doing that himself and anybody more is just being underutilized at the moment.

Sounds like I should shut down my caravans once I'm ready to enter politics. They're very profitable as they are, averaging 500 denars of profit per day and 6 of them now means 3,000 per day on average, but I don't think it's worth the risk of losing them and the costs of reconstitution to keep them once I'm committed to wars and politics.

Workshops are something I have a question about: do they shut down when the city hosting them is seized and you're a neutral party? Will my Velvet Dyeworks be taken from me in, say Argoron and Myzea, if somebody conquers them despite me being neutral? I know this happens when you're at war with the conqueror but no idea what happens when at peace.

Yeah, my designated merchant caravaner may or may not be making more money on average, but I can say Orachos the Bull bullied whoever tried to mug him since he had zero losses and got stronger from the fight. I think it might be a good way to drill up companions you want to be leaders in the future, but it's hard to say since I mostly hire meat heads to run my caravans and avoid bookworms since my own character is doing that himself and anybody more is just being underutilized at the moment.

I wouldnt shut Caravans down if they are profitable, just let'em run until they get captured, and then reconsider how long they run before the cost to make a new one(so if you rake in 500 pr day vs 25k investement = 50 days minimum at that profit to break even).

You may have better luck at it that I typically have (read when my faction constantly are at war for decades at end with most of the time at war with 2-3 kingdomes you get the idea why its not ideal).

About the workshop.
From my experience if I'm neutral the workshop will in most cases be standing after the siege is over.
However on rare occasions they have been "destroyed" or whatever you want to call it by the "sacking" of the kingdome(there was some message, but I never paid mind to it, and the workshop was gone from my listed).

Should you be vassal/king and a town is taken by siege, then the workshop is 100% of the time lost for you.
So I would be "careful" about which towns you place them in, unless you are sure of your ability to help defend should the need arise.
Example if you play Sturgia, putting a workshop in Omor, Varcheg or Tyal is a really bad idea.
Western Empire will always try to siege Omor if at war with Sturgia.
Varcheg is target if at war with Vlandia.
Tyal if you are at war with Khuzait.

Typically you pick up on which cities typically "fall easy or early or shift hands alot" - Example Lageta will be often flipped, by WE, Battania + Vlandia if you dont meddle.

Overall imo the "profit margins" from the workshops and caravans is pretty weak in the game, and is imo missing maybe even as high as a 0(but may not, should be dialed up maybe 1,5 x of what it typically is, or rather in some cultures - read pretty sure that in rl that a worker in China dont get the same pay pr hrs as they do say in a similar job here in Norway.) (Labor cost isnt reflected well in the game imo)(which makes makeing profitable shops in some of the factions harder than it should be - read if they are up for a long time, and the size of the town explode, the profit margins will typically be reflected by it, then you also have some issues with the resource lacking in some cultures or "too much of the same, so it leads too to much competiton".

You may have better luck at it that I typically have (read when my faction constantly are at war for decades at end with most of the time at war with 2-3 kingdomes you get the idea why its not ideal).
I might have better luck if I can engineer a situation where I have a safe corner, such as the Aserai lands, to be a part of or rule since I find wars are far rarer and tamer if your country has a good position. At any rate, I expect to have to shut them down if I want to join, say the Northern or Southern Empire, and wait until I or they have the northeast/southeast secure before setting them back up.

Then again, I remember, last December, playing for Battania before breaking away being gentler than I read about so I have no idea what the real normal is. Maybe people's kingdoms being at constant war isn't the norm but happens often enough to be complained about. I didn't have that problem last time until I had conquered 1/3rd of the constant since, at that point, everybody who could declared war on me as if I tripped over an invisible threshold.

About the workshop.
From my experience if I'm neutral the workshop will in most cases be standing after the siege is over.
However on rare occasions they have been "destroyed" or whatever you want to call it by the "sacking" of the kingdome(there was some message, but I never paid mind to it, and the workshop was gone from my listed).
Thank you for the clarification. I'll have to make sure I don't leave a lot of uncollected stuff in the Warehouses since I assume they'll be gone if my properties get sacked by the victorious army. I've made a habit of building my workshops in Vlandia since Galend, Jaculan, Ocs Hall, etc. are very safe cities as far as war is concerned and Warehouses let me dump whatever they need into their pockets so they don't need to rely on local resources. Combined with shutting down the competition, I'm averaging 700-1,200 per monopoly per day (I have 3 Velvets but they're making half to one third as much as the single Oil Press and Pottery Shop, indicating I'd probably make more passive income if I shut 1 or 2 of my Velvet Dyeworks down) so I'm now a multi-millionaire with as much money (and more passive income) then I had when I was a monarch ruling half the continent lol. I have screenshots I took over my past 1.5 playthroughs which shows how well I'm presently doing as a mercantile-focused character, so I feel like I finally figured out Workshops in Bannerlord.

Overall imo the "profit margins" from the workshops and caravans is pretty weak in the game, and is imo missing maybe even as high as a 0(but may not, should be dialed up maybe 1,5 x of what it typically is, or rather in some cultures - read pretty sure that in rl that a worker in China dont get the same pay pr hrs as they do say in a similar job here in Norway.) (Labor cost isnt reflected well in the game imo)(which makes makeing profitable shops in some of the factions harder than it should be - read if they are up for a long time, and the size of the town explode, the profit margins will typically be reflected by it, then you also have some issues with the resource lacking in some cultures or "too much of the same, so it leads too to much competiton".
That depends on your patience. At the moment, I agree with you if your intent in Workshops/Caravans is as a supplement to sustaining a professional army like in Warband, because you'll make practically nothing from Workshops and barely enough to cover daily costs with Caravans, but if you dominate the markets so you're the sole product maker (or have no more than 1-2 shops competition, globally) you'll make insane amounts of money (not as insane as smithing, of course, but comparable to winning battles as a warlord/monarch without the risks) and can casually throw cash around after a few years.

I'm tempted to lay low and wait for my 4 kids to grow up so I can send my daughters off running caravans while my son and his bride-to-be get busy making grandkids lol. I may do that if getting Eveything Has a Price takes that long since I love the idea of buying my way to power and prestige.

It's gratifying to be wealthier as a merchant prince than I was as a sultan ruling the entire continent lol. At the moment, my 5 Workshops are producing over 3,000 per day on average (3 Velvets averaging ~350 per day while the Oil averages ~900 and the Pottery ~700) while 6 Caravans average 500 per each or 3,000 per day (usually at least one of them has a bad day but it can spike up, now and then, leading to insane profits both per individual caravan and in total) for a gross average income of 6,000 per day by year 1092.

However, I do think average profits for Workshops in particular could use a boost--maybe by a factor of 2 so that 100-200 per day is the bare minimum passive income you can expect and 1000+ if you're doing what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom