"Baldur’s Gate 3 is Causing Some Developers to Panic"

Users who are viewing this thread

I have enjoyed BG3 a lot so far, I am in the middile of the act 2 at the moment. However I have heard that since late act 2 and especially in act 3 game is not finished (similarly to DOS2). Entire chunks of game are missing such as companion interactions, half of the city, many quests etc. Lot of these things were datamined and many of them were actually finished or almost finished and were removed in last moment for some reason.

Its hard to know whom to believe anymore with gamers and their hype/rant -I swear Starfield is either "the best Bethseda thing since an arrow to the knee" or its "Woke madness loading screen garbage". Thats why I almost never buy games on release anymore -gives time for reasonable opinions to rise up among the toxic sludge

Whoever complains about something being woke is 100% a
1. Crybaby ***** compulsive complainer
2. Straight up wrong or a hater lmfao

I'm curious, why are people calling Starfield woke? I haven't played or seen any gameplay of it. Are these people crying about there being a pronoun selection in the character creator or something?

I'm curious, why are people calling Starfield woke? I haven't played or seen any gameplay of it. Are these people crying about there being a pronoun selection in the character creator or something?
because you can choose pronouns for the character you created (he/she/they(=it)).
thats it.

honestly there doesnt need to be a reason why. such subjects are choosing whatever the f they want if they feel like.

btw i can highly recommend starfield. especially if you are into any bethesda game like skyrim, oblivion, new vegas, etc. also if you are into sandbox games.
goty to me as bg3 is a dos2 rip off and not that as special as starfield.

because you can choose pronouns for the character you created (he/she/they(=it)).
thats it.

honestly there doesnt need to be a reason why. such subjects are choosing whatever the f they want if they feel like.
Not surprising, it's also pretty stupid and frankly disgusting to assume that the protagonist (i.e. a character meant to largely be a self-insert for players) cannot be trans/NB (or even Black or SE Asian, etc) or that Trans & NB people can't even just exist in a fictional setting as NPCs. Granted, "wokeness" can be jarring, and even racist if the "representation" is done poorly in historical settings, like the depiction of Suleiman the Magnificent in Civ 6. But in most cases nowadays, when someone calls a piece of media "woke" as an insult, it's mostly because it has characters who are LGBT and/or have skin colour slightly darker than an albino.
btw i can highly recommend starfield. especially if you are into any bethesda game like skyrim, oblivion, new vegas, etc. also if you are into sandbox games.
goty to me as bg3 is a dos2 rip off and not that as special as starfield.
Yeah I would like to try it when I get a better PC, I have a soft spot for Bethesda games.

How is it a rip-off if it's the next game from the same studio? It's a straight upgrade from DOS2, which was a great game on its own.
it's a rip-off because the ip is completely different and i would rather say that it's a downgrade at least to some parts, for example battleboard interaction with elements. "upgrades" from dos2 are barely noticeable or impactful. not saying bg3 is a bad game at all. because of the dos2 similarity i think it's not as exciting as people praise it.

it's a rip-off because the ip is completely different and i would rather say that it's a downgrade at least to some parts, for example battleboard interaction with elements. "upgrades" from dos2 are barely noticeable or impactful. not saying bg3 is a bad game at all. because of the dos2 similarity i think it's not as exciting as people praise it.
"it's a rip-off" ------ "not saying bg3 is a bad game at all". have you lost your mind ??

Its okay to prefer Starfield and think it's a better contender for the GOTY, but everything else you said is an extremely wild take, in the extreme minority and awfully hypocritical.

in the extreme minority and awfully hypocritical.
how so? have you even played dos2? it's commonly called dos3 by a lot of guys who played larian before. because of that iam by far not the only one having such claims. it's not about being hypocritical, it's just what it is.
i like bg3 a lot so you can calm your pitchfork and torch.

Last edited:
Nonsense like that is causing some developers to laugh.

Now what? Look, someone pointed out the obvious and thus must be true. Only a non-developer would believe that a game being made and released is going to effect another developer in such a way. Its just clickbait and fake outrage. The game could sell 100x more copies than it has and it will change a grand total of nothing in the industry. Players will keep pre-ordering games at the same rate from the same companies. They will keep buying lootboxes. They will keep buying games with microtransactions and keep buying the microtransactions they sell. They will keep buying games that openly state they are going to base their income off of overpriced DLCs and will keep paying for those overpriced DLCs. They will buy the next game from the last company that released an unfinished, buggy game they raged about.

Nothing is going to change, because consumers are not going to change. If you do not know who I am talking about. I mean you. Especially those of you that watch clickbait fake outrage videos. You are raging against things you will actually do NOTHING to change in your own consuming choices which feeds the thing you PRETEND you hate so much. You are basically a self-harmer and love it. Now then, hop onto reddit and post about how much you despise Nvidia and their business practices before you go research the next Nvidia card you are going to buy soon...or post about how much you hate Disney and how they are ruining your favorite IP while you watch Disney+ and that same IPs new show you are posting about hating so much...🤡s

Nonsense like that is causing some developers to laugh.

Now what? Look, someone pointed out the obvious and thus must be true. Only a non-developer would believe that a game being made and released is going to effect another developer in such a way. Its just clickbait and fake outrage. The game could sell 100x more copies than it has and it will change a grand total of nothing in the industry. Players will keep pre-ordering games at the same rate from the same companies. They will keep buying lootboxes. They will keep buying games with microtransactions and keep buying the microtransactions they sell. They will keep buying games that openly state they are going to base their income off of overpriced DLCs and will keep paying for those overpriced DLCs. They will buy the next game from the last company that released an unfinished, buggy game they raged about.

Nothing is going to change, because consumers are not going to change. If you do not know who I am talking about. I mean you. Especially those of you that watch clickbait fake outrage videos. You are raging against things you will actually do NOTHING to change in your own consuming choices which feeds the thing you PRETEND you hate so much. You are basically a self-harmer and love it. Now then, hop onto reddit and post about how much you despise Nvidia and their business practices before you go research the next Nvidia card you are going to buy soon...or post about how much you hate Disney and how they are ruining your favorite IP while you watch Disney+ and that same IPs new show you are posting about hating so much...🤡s

That was the biggest anti-rant rant Ive ever had the pleasure of witnessing

That was the biggest anti-rant rant Ive ever had the pleasure of witnessing

tenor.gif

Nothing is going to change, because consumers are not going to change.
It's trickier than you think.

Consumers do change, not because they revolutionise themselves at some point, but simply because a new generation emerge with people becoming old enough to be considered as main consumers.

I'm slowing heading to my late 30's, I grew up owning a SNES, a Playstation 1 and 2, I remember using CD and even floppy disks (yes !) to enjoy PC games.

My favorite games were Another World, Secret of Evermore, Metroïd, Tekken 3, Street Fighter Alpha, Ridge Racer Type 4, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, also Baldur's Gate 1, Age of Empire III, Civilzation Call to Power, World of Warcraft, Counter Strikes (when my internet connexion was actually working...) and SO many more.

I'm pretty sure this can sound very boomer-ish for Fortnite or Word of Warcraft (retail version) gamers. Couldn't care less, I genuinely feel blessed.

I guess the main difference between what I could call "my generation" and the actual one (even the next ones ?) is the fact I've been bottle-fed with finished games to enjoy with siblings and friends on a sofa.

I've seen the rise of connected consoles and platforms where you had to create an account and log in, in order to play a game, with online achievements and new fancy stuff. And I have also seen the decay of physical version of games in favor virtual ones to download, until it turned into a norm and updates became mandatory.

And slowly, a whole new population arrived, knowing only things like Steam, Playstation 3 and 4 (even 5 ?), microtransactions, pre-orders, unfinished games endlessly updated and so on.

So yeah, you are right, "consumers are not going to change", but it's just because they are part of a generation that doesn't know any other way to appreciate video games, as mine as its own marks.

Ironicaly, my generation also has a big responsability in all of this since there are good chances many current games are developped by people from...my generation.

From my POV the game industry obviously shapes consumers. I'm not missing proper finished games because I'm some kind of maniac, but because things used to be like that for most of my childhood.

I suppose the responsability of developpers, editors or whatever isn't to release good/finished games only, but also to "educate" (don't like this word, but didn't find a better alternative at the moment, sorry for this) the generations to come by giving them not just what they are willing to give them, but the best they can give them. Good planning and less greed might be a good start.

Yes, I'm 100% aware of the naivety of this statement, no need to remind it.

And for what it worth, since I'm the OP here, I also came back to say that I value discussions, debates and interesting ideas, rather than another "oh you HATER" GIF. Just saying...

Cheers

Last edited:
Nothing is going to change, because consumers are not going to change.

That's clearly wrong though, because preorders and microtransactions and loot boxes didn't always exist, and when introduced most people hated them, and that was barely 10 years ago. The average consoooomer follows the industry and the industry follows the most successful games.

A game that sells a lot absolutely does make publishers and developers change what they're doing, but nobody outside those companies sees the effect for years. We'll probably see a handful of really high budget baldurs gate type games in a few years, just like how some of the fortnite clone games came out a couple of years ago.

Many things are wrong in your post, but this one might the most obvious.

Consumers do change, not because they revolutionise themselves at some point, but simply because a new generation emerge and start to be old enough to be considered as main consumers.

I'm slowing heading to my late 30's, I grew up owning a SNES, a Playstation 1 and 2, I remember using CD and even floppy disks (yes !) to enjoy PC games.
Average age of a gamer is around 33-35. They are (for the most part) people who were playing games 20-25 years ago.
That's clearly wrong though, because preorders and microtransactions and loot boxes didn't always exist, and when introduced most people hated them, and that was barely 10 years ago. The average consoooomer follows the industry and the industry follows the most successful games.
I wouldn't say most people hated pre-orders or MTX; most self-identified gamers did but they've been a declining niche of the industry since like 1995 so who cares what they think.

Average age of a gamer is around 33-35. They are (for the most part) people who were playing games 20-25 years ago.

I wouldn't say most people hated pre-orders or MTX; most self-identified gamers did but they've been a declining niche of the industry since like 1995 so who cares what they think.
Declining as the self-same millenials (your 33-35 age or wider) are just simply growing up, and, for the most part, have the expendable cash. Industry is just catering to that moving population/demographic bell-curve. Until it shifts again.

Baldur's Gate 3 recently released a large patch for the game, naturally it broke every mod ever made for the game and ruined half of ongoing campaigns... oh wait no it didn't, it was fine, barely an inconvenience really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom