armour weaknesses

Users who are viewing this thread

Amman d Stazia

Master Knight
right:
I know that thrust damage is better than cut damage against plate armour...  the training master says so.

BUT - how about adding a factor to armour and weapons that will have certain weapons being specifically good for certain armour classes?

eg:
axes - bonus against leather armour
thrusting swords/spears - bonus against plate armour
ranged thrown - bonus against cloth, leather armour
ranged shot - bonus against mail, plate armour
thrusting polearms - bonus against horse armour.

After all, we already have bonus against shields...

While i disagree with some of the examples you've given, I agree with the general idea.

Having more strengths/weaknesses for weapons and armour combinations would IMO enhance the game by allowing more diversity in the range of useful weapons, rather than just purely a damage number and speed (lets face it length is a bit meaningless right now with the exception of lances because we have no momentum and can change direction facing and speed almost instantly).

yes, that is the sort of thing I was thinking.  Really at the moment you can have a bastard sword as the best fast/1-hander, or a sword of war as the best two-hander/heavy.  All the other swords are just cheaper versions.
I'd like to have a really GOOD reason to buy the sabre, rather than the bastard sword.

All of this is pretty much in place... cut damage is much better for lighter armor, as the extra damage is a good sacrifice for the loss of penetration. Throwing weapons pierce metal just fine, actually, and I don't see a problem with their place either.

Amman de Stazia said:
yes, that is the sort of thing I was thinking.  Really at the moment you can have a bastard sword as the best fast/1-hander, or a sword of war as the best two-hander/heavy.  All the other swords are just cheaper versions.
I'd like to have a really GOOD reason to buy the sabre, rather than the bastard sword.
Roleplaying?

That put aside, alot of stats should be reworked, E.g. swinging the bastard sword one-handed should require more strength. The Sabre should alot faster. Etc...

Rathyr said:
No. All of that is wrong.

You can role-play just fine without changing how the game works.

When you swing a bastard sword with one hand it does less damage, so that's already taken care of.

The sabre is fine. It's a stick of metal, not a light saber.
A...stick...of..metal... :shock:
Wait until i whack you with that stick of metal and your opinion of that will change! :razz:
The bastard sword may be taken care of, but some of the stats are odd. In alot of cases it is a matter of "this weapon is best!" because it is faster, longer, and deadlier than its competitors. I also think sword-thrusts tend to be underpowered, but that might just be the rapier man in me speaking.

In alot of cases it is a matter of "this weapon is best!"

Which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Some weapons -are- better than others. Simple as that. And this is coming from a guy that usually plays with the 'not the best' weapons, because I like the way they look. I'll happily play a level 30 character with an arming sword, mail armour, and a kite shield. As a matter of fact, that's my 'regular' kit in vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom