Development Update #12: Weather System, Formation Targeting and Warehouses

Users who are viewing this thread

Featured

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

In this development update, we have a look at some of the post-release highlights that were introduced in the current live version 1.1.0 as well as our recent Steam Beta version 1.2.0.

The text version can be found below.

ART​

NEW BATTLE TERRAINS [v1.2.0]​

To start, let’s jump right into our new scene additions. We have introduced an additional six battle terrains, bringing the total to 76 unique battle scenes. They are accessible at the following locations: West of Revyl, southwest of Quyaz, three terrains northeast of Razih, and one around the town of Odohk.

NEW HIDEOUT SCENES [v1.2.0]​

Similarly, bandit hideouts now come in greater variety with 4 new scenes that span desert, forest, seaside, and mountain environments.

NEW ARMOR PIECES [v1.1.0]​

To help you clear out those hideouts with ease - we also added 3 new armor pieces - Ornate Scale Armor, Khan's Coat of Plates, and Khan's Plated Bracers.

CAMPAIGN MAP​

WEATHER & WEATHER EFFECTS [v1.2.0]​

We have introduced rain and snow weather effects to both world map and missions. These occur depending on the season of a specific region. Consequently, the grounds become wet or snowy and this lingers for a period even after the precipitation is gone.

This not only enhances the overall atmosphere of the game but adds a lot of variety to the map and all of the scenes.

But that’s not all. Wet or snowy grounds noticeably decrease mounted infantry and cavalry party speed bonuses. They also double the siege preparation time. As a result, winter campaigns should now prove to be more challenging.

Moving on to the missions, wet or snowy grounds reduce the maximum speed and acceleration of mounts. And finally, if it happens to be actively raining or snowing, that reduces the speed of arrows and bolts, resulting in reduced damage and accuracy of archers and crossbowmen.

AUDIO​

NEW VOICEOVERS [v1.1.0]​

Joining the already present Vlandian, Battanian, and Empire voiceovers, you can now experience distinctive voices when interacting with individuals of the Aserai, Khuzait, and Sturgian heritage.

SIEGE ENGINE SOUNDS [v1.2.0]​

Siege engine sounds have also been revamped, so let me quiet down while you listen to the trebuchets and mangonels rain terror on those defenders.

UI​

FOG OF WAR [v1.1.0]​

In version 1.1.0, we introduced a fog of war mechanic to our encyclopedia. This meant that information was no longer universally available, but would require you to meet characters or scout settlements to see their critical information.

FOG OF WAR IMPROVEMENTS [v1.2.0]​

Our recent Beta builds upon this foundation by introducing new methods of unveiling the masked details.

Taking into account community feedback, we have added the ability to pay the tavern keeper to learn more about a settlement's clan.

At the same time, we have also integrated existing features with the system. Asking the tavern keeper about companions, receiving a marriage offer from another clan, or asking a lord about eligible bachelors now all unlocks the information of these characters in the encyclopedia.

Marriage offers, in particular, also benefit from a new screen that does the occasion greater justice.

BATTLES AND SIEGES​

SALLY OUT AMBUSH [v1.1.0]​

“Sally Out Ambush” missions have been added. Sharpen your blades, wear your best armor, mount your steed, and rush out of the settlement under siege with your cavalry - ambushing the attackers and destroying their siege engines in the process. But take note of time, for as the enemy realizes what is happening, they’ll send reinforcements to protect their siege towers and other equipment.

PUSHABLE SIEGE LADDERS [v1.2.0]​

Siege ladders can now be pushed off the walls in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer even if there are troops on the ladder already. Picture this: you’re in the middle of a violent siege, eager to jump the walls, and just as you’re about to ascend, the defenders push the ladder back with a few of your comrades-in-arms falling to their demise. A shocking scene that must have been fairly common in medieval sieges.

MELEE COMBAT AI [v1.2.0]​

We reworked the melee AI to make agents fight less recklessly and increase the duration of combat. The changes include a decrease of attack frequency, always blocking when within enemy strike range, and a faster target reevaluation when hit by another enemy.

Troops now also detect the risk of becoming surrounded and attempt to escape such situations.

Finally, additional logic has been added to preemptively raise the shield when running towards an enemy that’s preparing to shoot a projectile at them.

RANGED COMBAT AI [v1.2.0]​

Ranged units were not ignored either. They no longer approach the enemy unnecessarily during a charge. Instead, they get in range and open fire until they run out of munition. They also reposition if their view is obstructed by a friendly agent or a tree.

TARGETING SYSTEM [v1.2.0]​

The overall targeting system was refined to improve situations where agents would prioritize the player despite having better targets. This benefits melee, mounted, and ranged troops.

CAVALRY COMBAT AI [v1.2.0]​

Cavalry AI likewise saw changes to its aiming and movement systems. Mounted troops now try to attack the body part that yields the most damage, consider their weapon reach to pick an attack direction, and have a greater tendency to couch lances.

All of these result in increased accuracy against still targets, reduced movement quirkiness, and better effectiveness during a full charge.

FORMATION TARGETING [v1.2.0]​

And to help you unleash your own strategic brilliance, we added Formation Targeting.

Using Charge or Engage orders, you can now choose between general attacks and prioritizing a specific enemy formation as a target. This is done by simply looking at enemy formations and issuing the order when their icon is highlighted.

The Charge order has your units individually rush towards the fight. The Engage order, on the other hand, will see your troops advance towards the enemy in an orderly formation. Ranged units will also seek to keep their distance until they have spent their ammunition.

For now, this feature will offer you a host of new tactical choices in Singleplayer - but we intend to explore it for Multiplayer in the future as well.

AUTO BATTLE CALCULATIONS [v1.2.0]​

Auto battle calculations have likewise been revisited. Mission and terrain types provide positive and negative effects for attackers and defenders.

For example, an attacking horse archer on flat terrain now has a large bonus. But if you throw him into the forest, it turns into a significant penalty. Defending archers do great in a siege while attacking ones receive a penalty and so on.

In addition, the number and tier of perks with a Captain effect that an army or party leader has, now also impacts the bonus given to all of the troops under their command.

KINGDOMS AND DIPLOMACY​

KINGDOM DESTRUCTION [v1.2.0]​

Kingdoms that lose all of their fiefs no longer linger until all of their nobles are killed or defect. Instead, they are destroyed. The kingdom’s clans will become independent, inheriting its diplomatic stances. Over time, they will join available kingdoms or wither away if they fail to do so for more than four weeks.

ECONOMY AND TRADE​

WAREHOUSES [v1.2.0]​

Workshops received an upgrade! Warehouses enable you to provide your workshops with raw resources to use in their production cycle. They also allow you to collect processed goods from them.

This creates a new gameplay loop for all you traders out there. You can buy cheap raw materials, bring them to your workshop and sell the processed products to a settlement where you can sell them for a high profit.

You can manage your Warehouses through the Clan screen, determining which inputs should be used and which outputs should be stored.

SETTLEMENT ACTIONS​

ALLEYS [v1.1.0]​

Have you always wanted to take over an alley and set up a crime gang? Well, now you can. Alleys can be found in towns where gang leaders hold control of common areas.

After clearing out the thugs that occupy it, you can assign a suitable rogue companion to gather gold and bandit recruits. However, this will also generate crime rating.

Mind you, this is not a “Set it and forget it” venture - your alley is not immune to trouble and can be attacked by neighboring gang leaders. So make sure to leave some troops and help them defend it when the time comes.

MULTIPLAYER​

TAUNTS [v1.2.0]​

Prepare yourself for some Multiplayer mayhem because we’ve added a feature that’s bound to spice up your experience. Taunts!

Do you want to express your gratitude for a GG duel? Bow gracefully like a noble knight! Feeling a little sassy? Crumble to the floor in disappointment. Want to admit defeat? Surrender to the master on the other side of the screen.

You can acquire a total of 32 different animations with Loot but only 6 can be equipped at once via the Armory.

SCENE DOWNLOADER [v1.2.0]​

The Dedicated Custom Server Helper module has been merged into the base game - allowing you to download scenes from dedicated servers by default.

CONSOLES​

BIRTH AND AGING [v1.2.0]​

Switching to Consoles - The “Birth and Aging” settings will be available with version 1.2.0 on consoles too.

CONSOLE CHEATS [v1.2.0]​

We’ve also added 15 different cheats. They can be enabled through the Campaign Options or by holding the Left Bumper, Right Trigger, and D-Pad Down. Please note that you will disable achievements by enabling cheats.

GAMEPAD SUPPORT [v1.2.0]​

Console gamepad support has been extended with a variety of additional haptic feedback such as new vibrations during Combat and Campaign.

PS5 & DualSense
Using PlayStation 5 and a DualSense controller you can also feel the tightness of the bowstring when releasing an arrow due to the added support for adaptive triggers.

We have added a new option that allows you to aim and control your attack direction with the integrated gyroscope by rotating the controller.

PS5 & PS4
Available also on the PlayStation 4 gamepad - sounds of impacts, horse riding and more come directly from the controller speaker - getting you more immersed in the gameplay.

PS4 TO PS5 SAVES [v1.2.0]​

PS4 saves can now be migrated to PS5. First, download the save data through the cloud or import it via a USB. Then use the “Transfer PS4 Save” Main Menu option to use the PS4 save.

MODDING CHANGES​

On the topic of modding - We continue to collaborate closely with our amazing modding community, assisting where we can. You can find a link to the many modding-related changes in the description down below.

OUTRO​

Thank you for powering through this chunky development update video with us. We hope that you enjoy the new changes. Links to the full patch notes can be found in the video description and, as always, we invite you to share your feedback with us in the comments section down below. See you in the next one!

The new 1.2 beta has brought a lot of improvements to the game, battles now feel a lot more tactical with the targeting system and the AI prioritizing defending themselves more. Now i hope the next patches will add more depth to the campaing. Traits and relations are very underused in my opinion.
The addition of warehouses is very interesting, and would make caravans a lot more fun to play if we could choose the goods they can buy/sell and in wich cities they enter. @Dejan do you have any plans on making a custom path for player caravans possible? That would make warehouses even better.

Funny that the party role bug for companions is visable in the video.

Next i hope we can assign companions to seige wepons! The icon has been there long enough.

Will we get a new Future Plans / Statement Regarding Singleplayer V post to go along with this @Duh_TaleWorlds ?

From that one - looks like more Cutscenes, Claimant Quests, Scenes, and I guess some Army AI is still outstanding but the scope of deliverables has greatly reduced.

I'd love to hear more plans on future DLC, Diplomacy (Alliances, NAPs, Internal Factions), Improved Faction Leader RP, Minor Faction improvements, more Bandit/Criminal play style, and Civil Wars/Rebellions.

Shops and Trade in general is still in a dreadful state

Credit where it's due, 1.2 is definitely a good step in the right direction, so many improvements to combat alone, hope TW keeps improving the game and we get some love in the diplomatic side of things too.

Gooda patcha. 🍆💦 Game becoming more and more close to actually fun, seems like community is finally being listened to.

Still gotta fix
* Voting being pointless
* War being too constant
* Noble relations being pointless
* Most personality traits not working for player or ai
* Infantry being very underpowered (arrows do too much damage to armour)
* The AI never agreeing to surrender when they have no chance of winning a siege/battle (which adds way too much grind to actually finish a campaign)

Fix these and singleplayer will be much more fun to play.

- Add targeting to the "Hold position" order, essential for archers or infantry harassed by cavalry. Ideally right click, so we would have two targets (offensive / defensive) easily exploitable and very practical.
- Finish designing unique maps for more immersion.
- Add a "sandstorm" effect to the weather, just a little wind and sand no need a big visual effect. Take the opportunity to review the native bonuses/maluses of each civilization in relation to the terrains (example Sturgians with snow).

And everything will be perfect for me.

Last edited:
Correction about my previous message, it's been too long since I relaunched Bannerlord lol, I invented a "hold position" command that doesn't exist, I forgot that "hold position" was their default behavior. 😅
So why not tell the system not to move the archers if we target with the charge order, anyway we will never want to charge with archers we will always prefer the "engage" order to keep the distance...

Hello TaleWorld,
For me the best patch since the first. I hope the "banditry system" will be developed soon with others options.
I heard there would be a plan to develop habitable bandit hideouts like a castle. It would be great if there was a full "bandits" game play. I appreciate the "take a street" system in cities.
The new maps, and the new bandit hideouts are nice.
Otherwise, I find that the fights are going well with the new features, the AI is better.
I appreciate the game again even if I am one of those players who would have liked a more developed "Lore" ("romance").
But technically, the game is getting better and better. Castle attacks are also much smoother and better coordinated.
I hadn't played for a long time, and I feel a lot of progress.
The economy is also more balanced and allows you to "boost" progress (by playing a little "caravan" and "street", you earn enough to progress in the game without too much difficulty). I also find that we progress faster in the game with this new patch. I don't know if it's an impression or if it's me who knows the game too well, but financially, it seems easier and therefore more dynamic.
I appreciate the new companions, even if I hope one day that they will be more "talkative".
I would have liked an option to be able to keep a "sister", or a daughter, after marriage, in our clan. Even if it means having to face the groom's father or family (if we win, she stays, if we lose, she leaves, something like that).
I always thought that these wedding stories could bring a lot of interesting "romance" and conflict to the game.
Overall I like this new patch, even I would have appreciated, it's my obsession, a more elaborate Lore, more endearing companions, more "alive" characters.
But I know, it's complicated.
When I play, I'm always missing a major "stake". That's what I've always felt. Something that would surprise us and put a little pressure on us while being a lot of fun.
But maybe you have a plan that you are keeping secret.

In conclusion, a lot of progress, a lot of work for a small team.

Good luck to the whole team.

P.S. : I forgot to say: I play with a very small configuration, my computer is not powerful, and yet the game runs much better, the performances are very good today. I can't appreciate the graphical progress, my computer doesn't allow me to, but the game runs much better now, the performance is very good. Good Game !

Last edited:
P.S. : I forgot to say: I play with a very small configuration, my computer is not powerful, and yet the game runs much better, the performances are very good today. I can't appreciate the graphical progress, my computer doesn't allow me to, but the game runs much better now, the performance is very good. Good Game !
Thanks for the heads up about performance. I didn't play for a long time because my computer is not powerful too. I'll test this patch then.

NEW BATTLE TERRAINS-NEW HIDEOUT SCENES​

Very nice job overall with this new addition. On the other hand I must point out that there are still scenes without baking (plausible) or where the shadow has an unsightly shading, unreal and visually disturbing. Modding: I wish you would at least release the open field battle maps for editing... you will make the work easier for the sceners.

NEW ARMOR PIECES [v1.1.0]​

Sorry, they are ugly as hell...I had to say it. If they are Ali's concepts, which are unknown to me, the 3d application will not rank high in terms of beauty. :lol:

CAMPAIGN MAP WEATHER & WEATHER EFFECTS [v1.2.0]​

While it is true that I applaud the visual application of meteorology in the campaign map, in mission scenes... well... I think that Realisitc Weather by OrderWoPower overtook you from the right, certainly a proposal to be valued.

NEW VOICEOVERS - SIEGE ENGINE SOUNDS​

Although I have not tested it, but if the improvements are real; I applaud it.

FOG OF WAR [v1.1.0]-FOG OF WAR IMPROVEMENTS [v1.2.0]​

That is emphatically not fog of war; this is:

And I am of the opinion that its application should be a difficulty option in the new game creation settings.

SALLY OUT AMBUSH [v1.1.0]​

From that video in 2016 to the release of 1.1.0, time flies, doesn't it? :lol:

PUSHABLE SIEGE LADDERS [v1.2.0]​

Nice addition, finally we see it working

MELEE COMBAT AI [v1.2.0]​

I commented in another thread. A step forward, but edges need to be rounded.

RANGED COMBAT AI [v1.2.0]​

A step forward, good work.

TARGETING SYSTEM [v1.2.0]​

The best in terms of combat mechanics. Thank you for finally considering this request which was demanded practically since the closed alpha-beta period of 2019.

CAVALRY COMBAT AI [v1.2.0]​

Bad, a step backwards. Some bug has slipped through... everything you talk about, in practice it does not resemble the reality.

FORMATION TARGETING [v1.2.0]​

I repeat, thank you for considering this request. You have expanded the tactical possibilities and improved the gameplay experience. Wonderful that you are going to implement it in the MP, @Ling* will be euphoric wherever he is.

AUTO BATTLE CALCULATIONS [v1.2.0]​

Untested, no comments

KINGDOM DESTRUCTION [v1.2.0]​

Step forward, this was requested. Just look at Warband.

WAREHOUSES [v1.2.0]​

Warband maybe? :lol:

ALLEYS [v1.1.0]​

I guess a step forward... but I guess a far cry from the more complex approach that Foruberie offers.

MULTIPLAYER​

TAUNTS [v1.2.0]​

It is not that I am totally against it, in fact I commented about this at the time. But dang... that you put these animations before swing arcs//2 revision, which is a current problem of combat fundamentals... I don't know, debatable to say the least 😞.

SCENE DOWNLOADER [v1.2.0]​

Good!

MODDING CHANGES​

Good! Among other things, we now have a tag for crouching. Lucon is a happy man now.

Thanks for the heads up about performance. I didn't play for a long time because my computer is not powerful too. I'll test this patch then.
We must set all performance parameters as low as possible (very low). It's not very pretty, but the game is fluid. You can just give some "particles" in the settings to see the clouds on the map (I believe it's necessary to see the clouds (but it's not of major importance, you can play without seeing them)..
For fights, I don't go beyond 200 per team (400). I find, anyway, that the game does not lose interest. The battles just might be longer because regular reinforcements are coming. But it's fun. The battles are probably very different when you play 1000. But I'm not so sure it changes the gameplay much.
Especially the sieges, the battles in the castles are much less "messy". It's fun to play.

My config :
RAM : 6 GA, (it's really the minimum playable, it's really really minimum)
Process : nvidia i3-7100U (it's really the minimum playable, i think i'm really lucky that workes)
Win 10
64 bit
ssd, 250 G, don't remember the performance, not very good.

For the multiplayer game, i play without problems.

That workes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom