ageing and heir system

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello there !

Ok, I know we have no information about that, but I still want to discuss this topic.
I'll start by saying that adding a feature this demanding ressource-wise in a game is no use if it does not influence gameplay. So I will continue this post assuming it does.
Remember, with so few information, it's only speculations

Ageing would make your character weaker and weaker over time, if we want a bit of realism in there. I don't want that, especially knowing the small time a years is now.

We'd need a heir system if we want to keep playing. That means, if we still want a bit of realism, redoing every cycle all the stats, leveling, skills, lord relationship, influence building... We could keep the title and lands, though. I don't want that either, if I want to do all that again, I'd just start a new game :/

It means other lords would die too. And if we want that to be interesting, that means also rebuilding relations with their heir, having them have their own personalities, etc...
That means, if they don't want each heirs for hundreds of generations to be hardcoded, that we would see the same exact personalities randomly attributed to this or that lord. It would remove the feeling of uniqueness of those lords, and make them bland. Would they even acknowledge their legacy ?

If there is such a system in the game (which I think would be a waste of resources), I really want an easy accessible way to remove it, or a checkbox to completely ignore it, and keep things as they are in warband on those particular matters

This is pretty irrelevant until we get information from TaleWorlds.

But for the sake of pointless speculation, the whole point of parenting is imparting your skills and experiences onto your children to ready them for adulthood.

Second, a healthy man doesn’t become weak and slow until he’s fairly old. I could see a warrior fighting well past his 50s. Also you shouldn’t have to die for your heir to take over. You can still be the title holder but have your Child run your affairs on your behalf(regent, stand-in, whatever) essentially making him the playable character.

An option to set the timescale ourselves would be most welcome however

Like you two suggested, if there are aging and heir system there must be lots of options about it. Like ignoring aging or manipulating how fast or slow time flows in calradia.

I love the idea of having heirs, but at the same time, I am too fond of my player characters. If there is a degradation mechanic for age I'd prefer to mod it out. The game is fantasy enough for me that there can be badass grandpas crossing swords with the best of them.

This is one of many features I'm really eager to test by myself.
Let's see how they implement it in the game, but I think there'll be some kind of pre-training before your children become playable characters, something that will assure you feel like continuing a generation-long campaign rather than starting over again.

Balexander said:
i want to train my Child in Bannerlord  :mrgreen:

I wonder how they'll handle children in game, this is a sensitive subject, many games decide to just don't portray children to avoid community rejection.

I would be surprised if they have anything like this in the game.  I expect it to be pretty much the same as warband, where lords, including the player, don't die and don't have children.  I expect you'll still probably be able to get married though.

BraveheartA7X said:
I would be surprised if they have anything like this in the game.  I expect it to be pretty much the same as warband, where lords, including the player, don't die and don't have children.  I expect you'll still probably be able to get married though.
:???:

Among the Franks in the 10th Century, a noble was considered an infant until 7 years old when he was removed from his mother for military training. He wouldn't come of age until 14 years old when he was given a sword. For your son to become a companion from that date, you need to invest at least 1,239 game days from your wedding night to acquire a weak, but legitimate heir. Hopefully, TW will assume we all have some bastards maturing much earlier.  :grin:

NPC99 said:
Among the Franks in the 10th Century, a noble was considered an infant until 7 years old when he was removed from his mother for military training. He wouldn't come of age until 14 years old when he was given a sword. For your son to become a companion from that date, you need to invest at least 1,239 game days from your wedding night to acquire a weak, but legitimate heir. Hopefully, TW will assume we all have some bastards maturing much earlier.  :grin:

By my reckoning, much of the passage of time in the campaign is going to go fairly quickly as I assume that once winter comes, in the northern part of the map, at least, you will more than likely be resting for nearly 3-4 in game weeks straight per year.

Kehlian said:
Hello there !

Ok, I know we have no information about that, but I still want to discuss this topic.
I'll start by saying that adding a feature this demanding ressource-wise in a game is no use if it does not influence gameplay. So I will continue this post assuming it does.
Remember, with so few information, it's only speculations

Ageing would make your character weaker and weaker over time, if we want a bit of realism in there. I don't want that, especially knowing the small time a years is now.

We'd need a heir system if we want to keep playing. That means, if we still want a bit of realism, redoing every cycle all the stats, leveling, skills, lord relationship, influence building... We could keep the title and lands, though. I don't want that either, if I want to do all that again, I'd just start a new game :/

It means other lords would die too. And if we want that to be interesting, that means also rebuilding relations with their heir, having them have their own personalities, etc...
That means, if they don't want each heirs for hundreds of generations to be hardcoded, that we would see the same exact personalities randomly attributed to this or that lord. It would remove the feeling of uniqueness of those lords, and make them bland. Would they even acknowledge their legacy ?

If there is such a system in the game (which I think would be a waste of resources), I really want an easy accessible way to remove it, or a checkbox to completely ignore it, and keep things as they are in warband on those particular matters

Ageing would make your character weaker and weaker over time,  ---  I think this could easily be remedied by using the "Retire from Adventuring" function that we had in Warband

I, for one, am looking forward to the heritage feature as it would add a very randomized progression to international matters.  Say the king of Vlandia dies and his heir takes the throne, but his heir is also the leader of the wolfskins, which causes a rupturing of the kingdom.  In order to recover dominance the new king enlists the assistance of the Sturgians to the north, while the conservative Vlandian Rebels decide to call in the assistance of the Western Empire, of whom you are currently a lord.  This brings a significant dilemma for you as your most important source of income comes from a network of clay pits that now lie within the realm of the new Vlandian king, so you have to decide whether to retain your title and meager holdings in the empire, or let go of your lands and join the new Vlandian king in bringing a new age to the nation in which those young "werewolves" are now in charge of the most powerful heavy cavalry the world has seen since the height of the Calradian City-States.

That was pretty much confirmed that lords can be killed, even lord's family can be killed. So that means, at one point, we will have completely new lords/ladies in the map, so even if we stick with same player character we will have to raise relations/influince with them as well.

Or, we will have to make one mod that prevents lords/their families from being killed.

I completely love the idea. We discussed it quite a bit in the PC Gamer Weekend thread. Overall i think it fits perfectly into this type of game.

The devs say it themselves- your character is no super hero. You fight and die like everyone else (albeit get KO'd mostly), and it seems theyve finally gone all in on this. Id be pretty surprised if they scrapped it granted how much theyve likely put into it, but i wont hold my breath.

There are too many aspects of this to discuss, but i will just say that they will probably have to cut some corners in terms of realism, because nobody wants to have to get their skills back up or else theyd start a new game. The best thing here would be to say that you just inherit all your parents' skills and the family's relationship towards other lords and factions. Especially back in this time period, family feuds were not simply a single generation thing.

My biggest problem with the replayability of warband is that all characters, companions, lords, etc were the same. Now i think there will only still be some preset starting lords or kings or something at least.

I'd love this, but i fear the timescale would have to be drastically different to justify playing as multiple generations. A week in warband would have to be like a year in bannerlord. And I don't  like the idea of a time slider. I'm  playing a hack and slash adventure, not a grand strategy.

I don't think Warband and Bannerlord are cut for that, but if we are to have it, make it optional please. Don't kill the the game of those who want to play in a modded world with historical characters only.

Kortze26 said:
Ageing would make your character weaker and weaker over time,  ---  I think this could easily be remedied by using the "Retire from Adventuring" function that we had in Warband

I, for one, am looking forward to the heritage feature as it would add a very randomized progression to international matters.  Say the king of Vlandia dies and his heir takes the throne, but his heir is also the leader of the wolfskins, which causes a rupturing of the kingdom.  In order to recover dominance the new king enlists the assistance of the Sturgians to the north, while the conservative Vlandian Rebels decide to call in the assistance of the Western Empire, of whom you are currently a lord.  This brings a significant dilemma for you as your most important source of income comes from a network of clay pits that now lie within the realm of the new Vlandian king, so you have to decide whether to retain your title and meager holdings in the empire, or let go of your lands and join the new Vlandian king in bringing a new age to the nation in which those young "werewolves" are now in charge of the most powerful heavy cavalry the world has seen since the height of the Calradian City-States.

Totally agreed. The heritage system will allow Bannerlord to be a really unique game, even compared with Warband. It's one of my favorite features.

BraveheartA7X said:

Same.  It's probavly one of the  features they worked on, weren't happy with, delayed the game for then scrapped anyway  :facepalm:

I really want a heir system because it resembles me the SPORE evolutionary line, which is pretty cool to look at. If a line is cool, a genealogic tree would be awesome. You, your wife, your banner and your heir right below, and then it follows, showing any banner modification trought the generations.

But first we must consider how much time is 1 year in-game, how long it takes to marry, have a child, raise the child for you be able to pass the house name to him.

What I think it would be appropriate when generating a heir is that we should select what we would taught to the todler. Just like the character creation "questionary", you set up what your son will learn: diplomacy, martial arts, crafting, riding; so when he grows up and you die/retire, he's already trained and you don't have to raise a house from zero.

I tottally support ageing and heritage, because of the possibilities it would imply. Sadly, I don't believe it will be implemented or at least at its full capability. Good part is that if the feature is implemented, i will be happy af.

Back
Top Bottom