Add weight to Two-Handed Weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Please, devs, consider adding a heavier weight to two handed weapons, so that the user of such weapons are slower.

My primary concern with this post is how damn OP are menavlions, I KNOW THEY SWING VERY SLOW, but please make them heavier. I rather not target specifically menavlions by themselves, but more the category where they are, that is two handed weapons. This "fix" plus the rework of footwork found on other post (where the speed of movement magically shifts from right, left, front, right, left, etc. without any consideration of momentum), would decrease the effectiveness of pretty OP behavior: swinging wildly any class of menavlions on tdms.

Also consider making them not usable on horseback. My two cents.

2H weapons being slow are a relic of game balancing.

2H weapons have two hands on them, creating a lever action instead of relying purely on the swing to strike. This makes them faster IRL.

Not only is keeping 2H weapons generally faster than 1H weapons realistic (not taking into account weapon balancing, i.e. axe heads on the end of a long pole), imo it is also balanced gameplay wise because using 2H weapons means you can't equip a shield. And especially with how OP missile weapons are right now, shields are very important.

Please TW, don't make 2H weapons arbitrarily slower "because they do more damage." That's stupid. Weapon speeds should be based primarily on length and weight of weapon, and then slightly tinkered with for gameplay purposes.

Much more of an issue is the HUGE, wide swing arcs that deal seemingly full damage in a 180+ degree arc around the person swinging.

2H weapons being slow are a relic of game balancing.

2H weapons have two hands on them, creating a lever action instead of relying purely on the swing to strike. This makes them faster IRL.

Not only is keeping 2H weapons generally faster than 1H weapons realistic (not taking into account weapon balancing, i.e. axe heads on the end of a long pole), imo it is also balanced gameplay wise because using 2H weapons means you can't equip a shield. And especially with how OP missile weapons are right now, shields are very important.

Please TW, don't make 2H weapons arbitrarily slower "because they do more damage." That's stupid. Weapon speeds should be based primarily on length and weight of weapon, and then slightly tinkered with for gameplay purposes.

Much more of an issue is the HUGE, wide swing arcs that deal seemingly full damage in a 180+ degree arc around the person swinging.
Actually, I reread the OP and saw their main issue was with movement speed not swing speed.

I agree that the tactic of swinging wildly should be addressed by tweaking player movement speed.

I would disagree with making 2H weapons heavier though. They really aren't that heavy at all.

I think the OP's concern can be immediately resolved by significantly reducing the width of the attack arc for ALL weapons, not just 2H. This will force more skill involved to get a successful hit in general, reduce the effectiveness of the run-away-while-swinging-at-people-chasing-you tactic we all have an issue with, and it will have the nice side effects of less teamhitting, hitting the target you actually want, and left and right attacks becoming more viable in tight-knit group fighting.

no, they already too slow
the animation and the block delay just needs work

and about the menavlion,
they need less damage not less speed

Last edited:
Actually, I reread the OP and saw their main issue was with movement speed not swing speed.

I agree that the tactic of swinging wildly should be addressed by tweaking player movement speed.

I would disagree with making 2H weapons heavier though. They really aren't that heavy at all.

I think the OP's concern can be immediately resolved by significantly reducing the width of the attack arc for ALL weapons, not just 2H. This will force more skill involved to get a successful hit in general, reduce the effectiveness of the run-away-while-swinging-at-people-chasing-you tactic we all have an issue with, and it will have the nice side effects of less teamhitting, hitting the target you actually want, and left and right attacks becoming more viable in tight-knit group fighting.

Hey man, I appreciate you rereading my initial statement. I fully agree with that last paragraph!

Back
Top Bottom