(268) Unit equipment requests

Users who are viewing this thread

Little jars full of Greek Fire to throw at people would be nice, but pretty much impossible...

On the topic of number of thrown missiles to carry...  Factors:

1.) Weight.  Most javelins and darts are fairly light, especially those with hardened wood points or bone instead of metal. So that  typically isn't your major concern. But there are exceptions.  The pila and its close cousins are all quite heavy as far as javelins go,which is obvious given the amount of iron used in thier construction, and they could not be thrown terribly far.

2.) How to carry them. Typically if you had javelins you would carry them in your shield hand, ready to throw.  So how big is your hand? I would suggest that up to seven missiles is plausible.  Beyond that, you would require some sort of Gumbi-like extensible hands to wrap around them. If you had some kind of quiver or bag you could carry more, but despite what native M&B says I've not seen such a thing.

3.) Role/requirement.  Javelins were never meant to be the primary weapon of your primary force.  They were either used by skirmishers, who would withdraw if their brief barrage didn't inflict enough casualties/disarray to close with swords,  or they were used by close order infantry just before the lines met.  Therefore there are practical limits as to how many you would WANT to carry.

I would suggest that Pila stay at 2.  That "heavy javelins" be renamed simply "javelins", and get 4 throws,  with a slight bump upward in melee skill for peltasts and others who depend heavily on their thrown weapons.  That native "javelins" be removed completely unless somebody can show relevant images of troops  with bags of ammo on their backs.  Finally, that a new weapon be made, "darts" (very short javelins with fletching), which get 7 throws, and do about 24 damage. The Romans might get plumbatae (as a dart, with added lead weight),  which have 5 throws and do 30 damage.

don't forget to count the shield handle, that reduces your hand space too. I can't imagine anyone holding 7 javelins. Darts the thickness of an arrow? maybe..Two or three javelins max imho.

I'm looking at shields which had loops for the forearm but no handle, or could be carried by the loops alone before engaging in melee once you'd thrown everything.

Momaw said:
I'm looking at shields which had loops for the forearm but no handle, or could be carried by the loops alone before engaging in melee once you'd thrown everything.

not many of those used by javeliners actually. Celtic, german, roman shields, all of them are held by the handle. Maybe the crescent peltas, maybe some hoplite hybrid units with aspis..

Momaw said:
On the topic of number of thrown missiles to carry...  Factors:

1.) Weight.  Most javelins and darts are fairly light, especially those with hardened wood points or bone instead of metal. So that  typically isn't your major concern. But there are exceptions.  The pila and its close cousins are all quite heavy as far as javelins go,which is obvious given the amount of iron used in thier construction, and they could not be thrown terribly far.

2.) How to carry them. Typically if you had javelins you would carry them in your shield hand, ready to throw.  So how big is your hand? I would suggest that up to seven missiles is plausible.  Beyond that, you would require some sort of Gumbi-like extensible hands to wrap around them. If you had some kind of quiver or bag you could carry more, but despite what native M&B says I've not seen such a thing.

3.) Role/requirement.  Javelins were never meant to be the primary weapon of your primary force.  They were either used by skirmishers, who would withdraw if their brief barrage didn't inflict enough casualties/disarray to close with swords,  or they were used by close order infantry just before the lines met.  Therefore there are practical limits as to how many you would WANT to carry.

I would suggest that Pila stay at 2.  That "heavy javelins" be renamed simply "javelins", and get 4 throws,  with a slight bump upward in melee skill for peltasts and others who depend heavily on their thrown weapons.  That native "javelins" be removed completely unless somebody can show relevant images of troops  with bags of ammo on their backs.  Finally, that a new weapon be made, "darts" (very short javelins with fletching), which get 7 throws, and do about 24 damage. The Romans might get plumbatae (as a dart, with added lead weight),  which have 5 throws and do 30 damage.

good thoughts there. Pila will at least stay at 2 since thats the only historical number we have to run with for now. The bags were originally omitted from .903, I must have overlooked to remove them again in the port over.

Do you have any intentions to make bracers to replace gloves for say, Romans or Greeks? I think my Praetorian and Patrician suits will be perfect with those. :smile:

It would be nice with some more middle eastern inspired weaponry and armour. Such as curved sabers and swords, Falcoins etc.

Aswell as those nifty helmets that have chain-faceguards.  Would make a nice addition I think  :smile:

And where are the Beduin warriors? Hordes of angry people on mounts, dressed in wide white or black clothing and face covarage, with their curved swords and bows.

Ah well.. I'd just love to see some additional stuff in that part of the world, it does not differ too much from the greek atm imo.

Anyway, keep up the outstanding work that has been done so far! Huzzah!

Eklund said:
It would be nice with some more middle eastern inspired weaponry and armour. Such as curved sabers and swords, Falcoins etc.

Aswell as those nifty helmets that have chain-faceguards.  Would make a nice addition I think  :smile:

And where are the Beduin warriors? Hordes of angry people on mounts, dressed in wide white or black clothing and face covarage, with their curved swords and bows.

Ah well.. I'd just love to see some additional stuff in that part of the world, it does not differ too much from the greek atm imo.

Anyway, keep up the outstanding work that has been done so far! Huzzah!

Bedouins are Arabs, and Arabs, as we'd best recognize them at the time (and they'd still look different) are still down in Arabia for the most part. There are the Nabataeans, who are a Semitic people in what the romans called Arabia Petra, they were more of a trading people. Diodorus described them as a tribe of about 10,000 warriors, they were quite prolific with the trade of incense and so forth, and usually attempted avoiding fighting, but when they went to fight fought akin to desert nomads, if not mistaken. However, I think you're thinking too far in the future with such designs, and I believe you meant 'falchions'; falchions are a type of single-edged medieval European sword (or even more of simply a very big knife, depending on which one is looking at), not Middle Eastern, and way out of period (about the 11th century on into the early Renaissance). They wouldn't look like you might expect. Curved swords in the area, like the saif and shamshir were evolved out of straight bladed middle eastern swords from the early medieval period mixed with influences of a Turkic saber-type weapon.

I humbly request more variety in the patterns for greek and italic hoplon shields.
Here is a website with a lot of different patterns. I know there is a lot of different eras, but so what? :razz:

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/se/~luv20009/Greek_shield_patterns_1.html

EDIT: I just read that you were already researching a lot about faction symbols and shield patterns  :oops:

something nice to see in this mod would be more elaborate eastern-styled armours and weapons, because most of the roman/greek styled armours look kinda static and unpleasing to the eye  :lol:

And I don't know how it's done with all those armours ans such but you rpobably noticed that many armours don't look like they fit on people as if they were wearing it through their flesh and through other armour-parts(for example the cuirasses).. will this be addressed or is it impossible to correct?

not that it bothers me that much though, since I find plently of other armours who still look good..

Bunduqdari said:
something nice to see in this mod would be more elaborate eastern-styled armours and weapons, because most of the roman/greek styled armours look kinda static and unpleasing to the eye  :lol:

And I don't know how it's done with all those armours ans such but you rpobably noticed that many armours don't look like they fit on people as if they were wearing it through their flesh and through other armour-parts(for example the cuirasses).. will this be addressed or is it impossible to correct?

not that it bothers me that much though, since I find plently of other armours who still look good..

Yeah, I dont have access to programs required to edit animations, so therefore armours cant be retouched.. correct me if im wrong on that. Still looking for a modeller who may be interested in carving a few armours, but ultimately I may end up trying to reskin some native items to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom