SP Sci-Fi 2132 - [dead]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

octoburn

Grandmaster Knight
2132banner.jpg

In 2049, due to overpopulation and the decline of natural resources on their home planet, mankind took on the formidable task of terraforming the planets of Venus and Mars. With plans to begin their initial work on Mars, a research group was sent to Mars on an investigative mission. But they found something they did not expect.

Upon their return to Earth, the researchers discovered something frozen in a fragment of Martian ice. Recovering and analyzing the Martian DNA was a tedious task that spanned two decades, discovering that the Martian gene code was less vulnerable to harsh weather conditions, as well as the ability to develop the strength of an adult by their early teens. But with the analysis of the DNA came a controversial decision. The Global Expansion Committee approved a plan to combine the Martian DNA with that of humans. The GEC planned to use the bioengineered men, genetically altered to be extremely strong, but have a low capacity for creativeness in and of themselves, to develop and assist in the physical labor required to terraform the new homeworlds of mankind.

But the engineers could not remove the will for a man, or Martian, to be free. The better minds among the new race of men, calling themselves the Ginomi, the arisen, demanded compensation for their race, saying that anything otherwise would be utter enslavement. The Homeworlds granted the Ginomi occupation of the planet Mars as their home planet, so long as they agreed not to raise arms against the other Homeworld governments.

In 2113, with the terraforming of the Homeworlds nearly complete, the Ginomi revolted, having secretly armed the planet of Mars against the other Homeworld planets. Caught off their guards, the Homeworld forces were pushed from their homes, beyond the Asteroid Belt, while the Ginomi took abode in their homes and slaughtered their families. Taking refuge on moons of the outer planets, the Original Men, naming themselves the Remnant, slowly prepare for an assault to retake their homes.

In 2132, the Remnant found themselves ready to take on the Ginomi to retake their homes and lives.

2132 is an RPG-style planned complete conversion of Mount&Blade.

Planned features:

Mirathei's battlefield tactics kit

dstemmer's command cursor mini mod

Jedediah Q's companions overview

All new weapons, armors, scenes, UI, etc. That come with a complete conversion.

Elimination of merchants. All new equipment will be gained through missions, quests and advancement within the army.

Basic elimination of troop trees and "tavern" recruitment. You will be in charge of a small group of soldiers and will gain companions through quests and assignment. Both factions will have about a dozen possible companions.

There will be a linear storyline for both factions, rather than just roaming around attacking random people.

green=done
blue=patially done
red=not done at all

Physical Progress:
map
weapons (started on; many modelled, not textured yet)
armors (I did a few, but they'll only be place holders. Very unsatisfied with them. DaBlade is working on some)
helmets (done a few models. Still uncertain the shape looks right.)
scene props
UI replacement
music (have 3 people working on music.)
Coding progress:
dialogs
factions
races
items
game menus(started on them, mostly just got the starting menus started)
map icons (planets/moons done. no ships to travel around in yet.)
mission templates
parties (towns done, but not any "travelling" parties)
party templates
quests (many planned, but no coding accomplished yet)
scene props
scenes
troops

Credits:

Me - map, coding, modelling, textures, etc.

cj31388 - some weapon models (about a dozen or so)
Deyshawn, vadermath, waraelm, vorudain - general story and gameplay ideas

Dablade - Remnant armor textures (in the works)

HokieBT - for the OSP clothing (though they're being retextured) I know someone else made them, I'll look it up and fix it later.

WHAT I NEED:

Mainly, I need a good conceptual designer. I can model myself, I just need someone to come up with some original ideas, for everything from ships and interiors to weapons and armors. I have a general idea of what I want, just not some of the better details of design.

I am also looking for a texture artist to texture ships, interiors and possibly armors.

Idea person. seriously. The Sci-Fi thing has become so cliche I need some people to give me some ideas that aren't the norm.

also:

Name for the human alliance. the Remnant
Name for the "new man" race. Ginomi (greek for arisen, born, created)
Names for towns on Mars. (I can come up with these, but I'd like to see if there's any astronomical experts out there)
Names for Towns on Venus. (See above)
Which cities to use on Earth.
Name for the "insurgent" alliance. the Exiles

Names for NPCs, in all races. For this, I want anyone who has had or has friends/family who are or have been in the military to give me some names. Kind of an "In honor of" kind of thing. This applies to the Human alliance only.
Anyone interested in helping out, post here or PM me.

Signatures

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,51408.0.html][IMG]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2474/2132bannerfj2.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,51408.0.html][IMG]http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2015/2132banner.jpg
[/IMG][/url]

POLLS

How should the Ginomi be differentiated from the Remnant, weapon-wise?

make one melee-based (swords, knives) and the other ranged based (blasters) 13 (44.8%)

differing viewpoint in firearms. one values power over speed and vice versa 16 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted:  29

Should the Ginomi side be played more like native instead of an RPG?

yes.

9 (29%)

no.

22 (71%)

Total Members Voted:  31

what skin color(s) should the Ginomi use?

red  6 (18.8%)

blue  5 (15.6%)

grey  10 (31.3%)

all three  7 (21.9%)

another combination/different color (post it) 4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted:  32

which method of travel should be used?

map travel.

49 (79%)

menu-only travel.

13 (21%)

Total Members Voted:  62

should formations be implemented?

yes.
    101 (65.2%)  (will be implemented in situations that are appropriate)
no.
    54 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Your premise sounds a lot like Exosquad, though those dynamics would not work in M&B engine. In Exosquad your "new men" were called neo-sapiens , quite literal I think, it should work.

Other than the obvious comparisons I'm making the idea sounds good. Scifi could really work in this game if done correctly. Maybe look to Nathan Lowells "Share" series for non cliche scifi ideas even if it is perhaps not what you think your looking for.

If you check out the galactic mercenary thread, you can look at the concept art that I have done for it. (He don't have all of it up there actually, and I'm working on giving him the rest of them)

Through out the thread, there are some other ones in there hidden somewhere.

nice mod idea. just coruise what will the human milltary armour look like. if you need a hand with that i would be more then happy to assist.

if you what to have an honuor of list why dont you go on the british commenwealth war graves commision, you will find idian,austrialian,african and other nationatlys who fought and died for the british empire and british commenwealth.

About the new man faction, you could call them MAN, Marsian Alliance of Nations. And the human race, those could be UHG, the United Homeworld Government. Also, i think your story needs a bit adjustment, since the marsian dna project began in 2132, and the marsians rebelled in 3132, it isn't very likely it took them a 1000 years to prepare. You could place the timespawn between 2132 and 2560, for example.

You could make the Homeworlds the "Terran Confederacy" though I'm not sure what you would call the New Men. Talon's idea of "neo-sapiens" sounds good.

For the cities on Earth, I would attempt to balance between getting the most important ones and having an even number from around the globe. I don't know how many you plan on having but here are some suggestions:  Beijing, Moscow, New York, London, Brussels, Tokyo, and Paris. 
Heres a good resource for important cities:  http://www.diserio.com/gawc-world-cities.html

I can't be of much help for names of Martian and Venusian towns if they have to astronomically based, but I could come up with names based on the faction that occupies those areas.

I would like to help with the conceptual areas of this mod, as I am only a mediocre modeller and can't texture or code anything. If you need any ideas, just let me know.

Talon said:
Your premise sounds a lot like Exosquad, though those dynamics would not work in M&B engine. In Exosquad your "new men" were called neo-sapiens , quite literal I think, it should work.

Other than the obvious comparisons I'm making the idea sounds good. Scifi could really work in this game if done correctly. Maybe look to Nathan Lowells "Share" series for non cliche scifi ideas even if it is perhaps not what you think your looking for.

inded, ExoSquad (one of my favorite mid-teen years shows) was the main inspiration. though I have absolutely no intentions of including "E-Frames." it would be nice, but would be a bit too much of a stretch for the game engine, IMO. the closest I may get to the E-Frames would be to possibly include some of the JumpTroop type armors.

@ vadermath: I like the MAN and UHG ideas. I also like Interplanetary Martian Commonwealth (IMC) for the "new men."
the martian DNA project began in 2049, with the rebellion coming in 2113. the 3132 in the original post was a typo...  :oops: :oops:

@ waraelm: I have a pretty simple idea for the human armors. that's one of the things I really didn't want to translate from ExoSquad to the game, they were cool for a cartoon in the early '90s when I was a 12, but they're just a little over-the-top, both in design and colors. like I said, I did a few versions of a pretty crappy retexture of the human body, but am very unsatisfied with the result. the basic premise was to make an armor similar to the unmodified "survival suit" shown in Batman Begins (before made into the Batman suit.) here's my shameful attempt:

I want to make the Human armors simplistic. functional and not overdone. not showy or flashy.
The "new men" on the other hand, I want to have an arrogance to their armor. more "design" put into it and perhaps an overarrogance, making their armors more about show, intimidation than about actual protection and functionality.

@ Deyshawn: nice ideas. Terran Confederacy isn't bad, but as with "NeoSapiens", I want to stay away from ExoSquad related names. I was hesitant to even call Venus-Earth-Mars the Homeworlds, as that's what they are called in ExoSquad.
I am planning on about 12 cities per planet and 3-4 bases on moons. off the top of my head, I knew that New York, London and Paris had to be in. Moscow, Beijing are good. may include Sydney and Cairo. Mexico City perhaps. the options are limitless, just need to figure it out.
I'm still undecided on how to name the Martian and Venusian towns. The vast majority of astrological names come from Greek/Roman mythology, but I wanted to keep away from ExoSquad again, as most of their characters are named after Greek/Roman gods and heroes.
I could use some more menu art also (as well as an update on the UI) as pictures of Venus Earth and Mars are the only menu pics I have as of now.

EDIT: here's a few of the map icons...

Not half bad, "boss". Though the size of ideas that will come to life in this mod will make our job quite long. But we have plenty of time.

Are you going to have the equivalents of castles and villages or will they all be towns?
Heres my 12 earth cities: (in no particular order)
1) London
2) New York
3) Paris
4) Beijing
5) Moscow
6) Tokyo
7) Sydney
:cool: Los Angelos
9) Singapore
10) Brussels
11) Mexico City
12) Seoul

Will the homeworld factions be untited or will there be multiple factions? It would be interesting if this was made into a more RPGish game with some unrest amongst the homeword faction. For instance, there could be a radical islamic faction that has become tired of the secular rule and is plotting to overthrow them. Just to add a level of subterfuge and make it more interesting.
Also, how will you do the map? Will it be 3d with 3d planets? Because each planet has to support multiple towns so you can't just make a planet the town icon like in Star Wars Calradia.

Just out of curiosity, what tech level are we at at this point in time. You will almost certainly need to make or borrow animations for guns and the like.

One last thing, will there be space combat, as in two space ships firing missiles/lasers at eachother and maybe boarding parties?

Deyshawn said:
Will the homeworld factions be untited or will there be multiple factions? It would be interesting if this was made into a more RPGish game with some unrest amongst the homeword faction. For instance, there could be a radical islamic faction that has become tired of the secular rule and is plotting to overthrow them. Just to add a level of subterfuge and make it more interesting.

I have planned an "insurgent" faction, though it's still unnamed and I'm still uncertain of their nature. I just know that I want a neutral faction that can be swayed by money, arms, or other empty promises.
that, and I also want for there to be a bit of friction between the Humans and the "homeworld resistance" members.

Deyshawn said:
Also, how will you do the map? Will it be 3d with 3d planets? Because each planet has to support multiple towns so you can't just make a planet the town icon like in Star Wars Calradia.
actually, it will be exactly like that. the map is the space travel. once you're on the planet, you travel around the globe between cities via trains, ships or what-have-you. I think this will be satisfactory, as about half of the missions would take place in space while the other half would take place on the planets/moons.

Deyshawn said:
Just out of curiosity, what tech level are we at at this point in time. You will almost certainly need to make or borrow animations for guns and the like.
I have no experience myself with animations, but there are quite a few people around here who have an I'm sure will lend their knowledge. I, for one, would like to make the "firing stance" for crossbows into a crouching position.

Deyshawn said:
One last thing, will there be space combat, as in two space ships firing missiles/lasers at eachother and maybe boarding parties?
I'd like to, but not as a main part of the game. I want to have spaceship battles as either a mini-game or part of a system of challenges.

So you are going to have three spherical planets each with about 12 cities on them? Will the planets be rotating? Will you add outposts on each of the moons? Im not sure that Thorgrim's Map Editor is capable of something like that. You could have one of Mars's moons be a type of a criminal/fringe type outpost that you can get a lot of quests from. Almost like Zendar. Also, do you need any help with story lines, coming with quests, dialog, character background, etc.? I could probably help in any of those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom