SP - General Environment effects on battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Some what like this:

Wind blowing on the south will have bad accuracy to range units shooting from that direction. >
Marshes on battanian territory debuff heavy units, especially on the battle field. There are marsh place that the heavy army will try to avoid when facing against battanian troops.>
Cloud or misty place on world map can debuff range units accuracy everywhere, also when entering battle scene.>
On hard snowy maps had a debuff on units not acquainted to sturgia or north culture. >

Weather (rain, snow, cloudy), Place (marshes, forest, deserts) or both effects but have different places in the battle field. Like in this battle field, the down part is warm and open, but the top part of the map is snowy or misty. Depending on each weather, or terrain it can change the scale of the battle field. Making light armored units good again and range disadvantages in some cases.

In the last few months I have read several forumites asking about this topic. I'm sharing again the quotes that have been officially brought to the attention of the fan.

Callum said:
Regarding weather effects: we have seasonal changes, so perhaps my statement was a bit off the mark there as they aren't really weather effects along the lines of something like thunder storms.

What we don't have at this moment in time are weather effects that impact directly on gameplay in scenes, such as rain that prevents your crossbow from firing, or anything else like that.
(source link)

Armagan said:
Gameplay effects of weather on horse speed, archery etc work only in single player. In MP there are no effects on any of the stats.
(source link)

The only real effect is on the cape produced by the wind.
giphy.gif

Maybe @Dejan might be able to give us an update about this? :iamamoron:

A "simple" implementation of this concepts could be the addition of flags on top of walls of a settlement to indicate the direction and the intensity of the wind blowing so that you can make adjustments when aiming to whatever direction the wind is blowing. This is a bit hardcore and requires maybe too much work for the benefit it brings. It has also some other problems as well, what if you have no visual clue to where the wind is blowing? You might aim perfectly but some random effect ruined your shot (the opposite can also happen of course, you could make a bad aim and get a kill, that would be satisfying to shoot but not for the one who dies). AI bots are always a problem, how would you tweak their aim, introducing more variables will make balancing more difficult)...

This was just an example, even I thought it could be good but when you are self critical you might see that's not the case ?
Anyways, this was not a good example, many others are.
I have posted some ideas some time ago, where culture bonuses and penalties could exist based on natural conditions like geographical location, whether, flora, etc.. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ts-at-snowballing-problem.434547/post-9577572

Code:
                bool rain = scene.GetRainDensity() > 0.0f;
                bool snow = scene.GetSnowDensity() > 0.0f;

bool badWeather = rain | snow;
                bool badVision = scene.GetFog() > 0.0f;

Mission.Current.SetBowMissileSpeedModifier(badWeather ? 0.9f : 1.0f);
                Mission.Current.SetCrossbowMissileSpeedModifier(badWeather ? 0.9f : 1.0f);
                Mission.Current.SetMissileRangeModifier(badVision ? 0.8f : 1.0f);

So, the above lowers arrow and bolt speed by 10% in rain or snow, the range is dropped by 20% in fog for AI. This was in effect but was disabled as it was causing various issues with the AI. There are currently no plans to bring this back or other weather effects. I will, however, bring this up as a community suggestion and let you know about the decision taken.

Code:

So, the above lowers arrow and bolt speed by 10% in rain or snow, the range is dropped by 20% in fog for AI. This was in effect but was disabled as it was causing various issues with the AI. There are currently no plans to bring this back or other weather effects. I will, however, bring this up as a community suggestion and let you know about the decision taken.

Perfect, we appreciate the extension of info in reference to this topic. I hope that you can solve these problems that affect AI. Thanks for the explanation and we keep in touch to know if this feature is rescued or finally scrapped.

Code:

Wonderful and thank you

Code:

Thanks a lot for keeping us informed !
And yes, I think a lot of the community (myself included) would really like very much more environmental influence on battlefield.
Suggestions :
- Wind altering missiles and fog altering vision, as per the disabled implementation you provided.
- Athletic penalties in snow/heavy rain.
- Fatigue penalty under hot sun in desert (loss of stamina if it is added, or fighting speed penalty if it isn't ?).

Some what like this:

Wind blowing on the south will have bad accuracy to range units shooting from that direction. >
Marshes on battanian territory debuff heavy units, especially on the battle field. There are marsh place that the heavy army will try to avoid when facing against battanian troops.>
Cloud or misty place on world map can debuff range units accuracy everywhere, also when entering battle scene.>
On hard snowy maps had a debuff on units not acquainted to sturgia or north culture. >

Weather (rain, snow, cloudy), Place (marshes, forest, deserts) or both effects but have different places in the battle field. Like in this battle field, the down part is warm and open, but the top part of the map is snowy or misty. Depending on each weather, or terrain it can change the scale of the battle field. Making light armored units good again and range disadvantages in some cases.

There was originally a massive nighttime debuff to archers/crossbowmen but so many people bug reported it that they removed it very early on.

7vjt7rmddlq41.png

e1.0.4 said:
Combat AI
  • Night debuffs, visibility limitation and extra aim error of ranged units have been removed

Taleworlds either goes too far or comes up short, it's a trademark. Instead of calibrating that penalty they decided to cut it out completely...I don't understand.

There was originally a massive nighttime debuff to archers/crossbowmen but so many people bug reported it that they removed it very early on.

That would be great for Forest Bandit lairs :ROFLMAO: although I would like it. It would offer some different possibilities in the campaign.

But I really would like it if the rain, fog, and thunder storms would also be visible on the campaign map.

7vjt7rmddlq41.png

Taleworlds either goes too far or comes up short, it's a trademark. Instead of calibrating that penalty they decided to cut it out completely...I don't understand.
Yeah, it would be interesting to have this implemented again in the future, mainly because even with a small change it would make gameplay more interesting. By adding small penalties to archers at night, players and AI could reconsider their strength based on their armies composition and choose to attack an army that is strong in ranged combat at night rather than during the day. At night, penalties to accuracy and range should not cause much problems, but AI needs to also take advantage of this and not be penalized instead.

Penalties related to weather cannot be implemented unless the player and AI can predict the weather prior to the battle and at all times in the map. This can be done by creating some algorithm that determines the weather for all Calradia. Once the algorithm is there then you have to make AI also consider this new parameter and act accordingly. For the player small UI icon(s) that indicates the weather can be added as well as some small visual effects.

Maybe a little visual effect like flying grass or flower petals. with some sound light wind if you are facing in its direction

THIS is what lacks in the current engine to make truly beautiful sceneries.
Even the cheap knock-off Myth of Empires does it pretty well imo.

I think an attribute that could be easily modified based on weather would be movement speed.

Ever tried running on muddy ground in the rain? Now imagine doing it while wearing heavy armor, which is also collecting weight from the rain.

Or think about how much slower you move in the snow.

I think an attribute that could be easily modified based on weather would be movement speed.

Ever tried running on muddy ground in the rain? Now imagine doing it while wearing heavy armor, which is also collecting weight from the rain.

Or think about how much slower you move in the snow.

I've also pondered, how the position of the sun can become a factor in visibility, and it is a real world combat tactic to put your back to the sun, so that your opponent will lose visibility.

Back
Top Bottom