Glad that beta version was tested before going live /sarcasm

Users who are viewing this thread

Ted Striker

Veteran
Why on earth would you add these massive money nerfs without testing them? That's what beta versions are for.

- Troops start deserting my caravans right away, literally within a minute after loading the game

- About 10 minutes later caravan is lost

- Another caravan about 10 minutes after that

- Third and final caravan gone right after. Granted these were caravans I had for a long while before this version so I made my money back and then some, but why waste money on them in a new game?

- Towns have very little money after a while so can barely afford to buy the crap I get from looters let alone me running around trading manually.

This is why changes like this are tested in beta versions before being pushed live. I was looking forward to the beta being pushed live all week, and now this. I know it's EA and we're all basically testing this, but wtf is the point of a beta version then?

It's so bad I feel I have to shelve this until it's fixed. IMO it's unplayable. Bandits running amok everywhere, AI ignoring them as they always do, caravans wasting your money with 0 chance of ever seeing a profit, no chance to trade manually and raise your Trade skill. Beta testing would have uncovered this immediately.

Maybe you missed the patch naming. "Beta Branch Patch Notes e1.2.0"

BETA. BRANCH. So just revert.
All of this stuff he mentioned were implemented in the new "stable" 1.1.0 when it was switched from beta to stable. Nobody really knows why they arbitrarily added a bunch of new nerfs in a patch that was coming out of beta when there's literally a brand new 1.2.0 that they could've implemented them into and properly tested them.

To OP, totally agreed, my biggest confusion is why they didn't use their brand new beta system for this.

Maybe you missed the patch naming. "Beta Branch Patch Notes e1.2.0"

BETA. BRANCH. So just revert.
What are you talking about? This is the LIVE version, and they snuck these major changes in without testing them. Basically a week of beta version without these changes which had me really looking forward to it (faster leveling mostly) and then wham! Smack us upside the head with changes so broken the game is almost unplayable.

I didn't opt into the beta because it messes with mods and I feel mods are critical to keep things feeling balanced. I don't even think mods can fix this mess though. It's one thing to mod XP increase to something that feels faster than crawling on your belly with broken limbs, it's another to mod a critically broken economy system.

The caravan changes should be for the 1.2.0 branch, not the 1.1.0? Or did i misread the notes
They weren't even part of the patch notes, they were pretty much "snuck in" as Ted says to the 1.1 stable without testing them in their brand new 1.2 beta which would make way more sense.

At the same time while adding new untested changes,
they didn't fix some of the worst new bugs that appeared in the Beta branch, and were being reported during the last several days...

I just reverted from the beta (1.2) to 1.1 because of this after having a game ruined, but it seems that it was useless then? We need to revert to 1.0.9 to have the game economy working properly? It would have been strange to launch a major bug in the beta version already but in the stable one also? Not just that but moreover all characters lost their eyebrows while I was trying the beta version as well.

How can i roll back to the Version i started my game on Wednesday?
I tried e1.1.0 & e1.1.0.225653 but it seems that they are the same.

new changes should be optional for players but they patched e1.1.0 also and forced it

:sad:

Welcome to early access, my friend!
I say the same in some cases, and the patch is pretty big with nice crashes and performance fixes, but I feel like TW is not sure how to implement changes in the game mechanics.

I mean... I'm not going to be angry or sassy about it, but I still dislike it when I see things I feel is a waste of time and will need to be reworked later for obvious reasons, as it's the case with the caravans thing. This one just feels like it was thrown out there because some players (including me) felt like it was way too easy to obtain huge amounts of money and that caravans were OP.

One dev made a thread asking if caravans should be implying more risk and be attacked more often by bandits and other forces, but I thought it would be... I don't know. Complete. I was thinking it's nice that devs actually ask players about something like this, and there were loads of suggestions for a more well-rounded system on the subject of caravans, economy and trade. In the end that's all there is; caravans being picked off one by one. That's the kind of implementation I would think would obviously create problems, because it's only one change of one element of a whole economic system. Just make us wait for real rework instead of throwing useless by themselves changes.

If they can't imagine things from a big picture perspective... it will be a very bumpy ride.

I say the same in some cases, and the patch is pretty big with nice crashes and performance fixes, but I feel like TW is not sure how to implement changes in the game mechanics.

I mean... I'm not going to be angry or sassy about it, but I still dislike it when I see things I feel is a waste of time and will need to be reworked later for obvious reasons, as it's the case with the caravans thing. This one just feels like it was thrown out there because some players (including me) felt like it was way too easy to obtain huge amounts of money and that caravans were OP.

One dev made a thread asking if caravans should be implying more risk and be attacked more often by bandits and other forces, but I thought it would be... I don't know. Complete. I was thinking it's nice that devs actually ask players about something like this, and there were loads of suggestions for a more well-rounded system on the subject of caravans, economy and trade. In the end that's all there is; caravans being picked off one by one. That's the kind of implementation I would think would obviously create problems, because it's only one change of one element of a whole economic system. Just make us wait for real rework instead of throwing useless by themselves changes.

If they can't imagine things from a big picture perspective... it will be a very bumpy ride.
I think that the moment mexxico mentioned that they wanted vanilla Bannerlord to not be a complex experience was a massive red flag because that definitely indicates that their plan at the moment is to find the easy ways out of development issues and he explicitly called out that modders will create their own trade systems and such. I'm definitely worried that after seeing the modding community's work on Warband their intention now is to make a half-working skeleton that they just ask modders to finish for them, because honestly that's what he heavily hinted at.

I think that performance improvements should be released as soon as possible but changes like this in the mechanics they need better testing before going out, I don't mind waiting a longer time to test something in a better shape, but playing even experimentally something totally broken is not fun at all

Considering how quickly they're pumping out patches, it's not surprising that things like this get overlooked.

It's EA, it's expected. Roll back a patch or two and be patient until they revert or fix this change.

I think that the moment mexxico mentioned that they wanted vanilla Bannerlord to not be a complex experience was a massive red flag because that definitely indicates that their plan at the moment is to find the easy ways out of development issues and he explicitly called out that modders will create their own trade systems and such. I'm definitely worried that after seeing the modding community's work on Warband their intention now is to make a half-working skeleton that they just ask modders to finish for them, because honestly that's what he heavily hinted at.
Ah ****, I wish I could unread this. It makes me mad if that's really the intent of TW.

I was defending them from the angry nerds, but if in the end of everything they really make people pay 50 bucks for a game modders will need to complete... I'll definitely put a cross on their team. ****

Sounds like it really is headed just to be a reskinned Warband.

It feels weird to say this, but maybe TW is a little over-zealous in releasing patches. I thought the Beta version would see a few updates here and there and run for the stated 7 days and then be released.

But instead some untested changes were made and it was released after just 4 days... then a new Beta launches the very same night!

But as others have said, thankfully they leave old versions up to be chosen in the Beta section of the Steam menu. It's just that the 1.1.0 we were playing up until earlier yesterday is seemingly no longer available... just the 1.1.0 + untested changes.

If that is the case then the only major improvement we will see in MB2 in relation to its predecessors will be better graphics? The biggest problem of the last titles was the lack of complexity, after sometime the singleplayer experience usually became too repetitive and all the diplomacy, kingdom management and quests seemed secondary, just something to justify the battles where the real fun was

Ah ****, I wish I could unread this. It makes me mad if that's really the intent of TW.

I was defending them from the angry nerds, but if in the end of everything they really make people pay 50 bucks for a game modders will need to complete... I'll definitely put a cross on their team. ****

Sounds like it really is headed just to be a reskinned Warband.
Exactly my feeling, I was totally behind TW on release, slightly miffed at the snowballing but prepared to wait and see how they address it, which they happily did.

Then they started on the nerfs. First they nerfed workshops which was needed but felt a bit too heavy-handed which definitely annoyed me, then they nerfed tournaments, which I was personally very much against but it seemed the split in the community was roughly 50/50 and I had a mod to fix it. Finally, they release this ham-fisted method that literally destroys the entire game's economy after posting a thread where a bunch of people explicitly warn against being too ham-fisted with it. I get irritated. I then go and read that thread a bit more carefully and realize that the dev's official response to people asking for a relatively complex but creative solution for caravans... is to basically say that they aren't interested in making the game too complex and if people want more depth in any system they'll have to go to mods.

That's where I got pretty angry if I'm being honest.

Back
Top Bottom