SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

How about implement some features from 16th century mod such as custom troop tree for your own faction and building your own castle and village?

And the lack of good head armors sucks. AI ranged go for headshots so you basically instantly die time to time since head armors lack armor points.

Kalew said:
The sellswords in Essos are rather tedious and OP.

Then recruit some of your own. They arent OP in essos because they are so easy to obtain and everyone has them, and they arent op in westeros because you have to sail the narrow sea to get them.

And unsullied shred them to bits.

Stannis Frog said:
Doom_Carrot said:
Kalew said:
The sellswords in Essos are rather tedious and OP.

you have to sail the narrow sea to get them.

You talk bull**** :grin:
Just chooseo ne of the essos cultures for your kingdom and you get 16 sellswords for 800 gold.. :grin:
Ah, well if you are a king, yes. But in that case Im pretty sure most people would choose the even more op targaryens xD

In my game KL got taken by Dragonstone and the Westerlands and the North made peace with each other. After a while I did a merchant's quest and had the Iron Islands and the North make peace with each ohter, too. Is there any way to have them go to war against each other again?
Well, I know, some lords will give you a quest to raid a village or attack some caravans in order to provoke that other faction, but this was always useless to me. They never declared war. This leaves me with the North only fighting the Wildlings (did the questline obviously) and the Iron Islands being inactive.

If I am not interferring with the Vale in any way, they don't do anything and are inactive, too. Once in an older version I attacked the Three Sisters (as the ruler of my own faction) and immediately was at war with the Vale, because of some alliance I guess, that was fun. This time in 2.0 I joined Volantis in order to finally get rid of the Khizra Khalasar, was lucky that Volantis was provoked by the Three Sisters and persuaded my liege to declare war on them. The Vale didn't interefere in any way.
Now the question is how do these provocations of factions happen (those that are not player related), how often do they happen and what's the AIs response to that (which I guess is "not doing anything at all"). Can this be improved in a way that factions, don't like each other (North - Iron Islands, e.g.), will just be waiting for the moment to declare war again?

I'm not complaining, but I my opinion there is actually not much happening on the world map if the player doesn't interfere. Bringing up the Targaryens onto the world map gives the whole thing a new dynamic, having the Stormlands split and probablyy reunite after a while is good either. But somehow I am missing something. I understand the fact that there is a lot of work done so far based on lore, which leaves the Vale for example being so inactive and little caring about what's going on in Westeros, but all in all there seems to be a limited amount of wars that actually can take place.

So...I would like to ask if it would be possible to unlock the diplomacy in Westeros a little more, too. If not in general, then probably as a "mod option" (perhaps with the warning: if you turn this on, your game will be definately lore-breaking :wink: ). Although I don't know if this can be implemented at all, just a thought.

tnoPLUTO said:
In my game KL got taken by Dragonstone and the Westerlands and the North made peace with each other. After a while I did a merchant's quest and had the Iron Islands and the North make peace with each ohter, too. Is there any way to have them go to war against each other again?
Well, I know, some lords will give you a quest to raid a village or attack some caravans in order to provoke that other faction, but this was always useless to me. They never declared war. This leaves me with the North only fighting the Wildlings (did the questline obviously) and the Iron Islands being inactive.

I found this out too, only it was the Reach who took King's Landing and the popup said Renly sits on the Iron Throne so the Westerlands and the North declared a truce. Was hoping if the Westerlands took KL back that they would declare war again but... So far nothing. Kind of unfortunate since the Westerlands needs the handicap of being at war on two fronts, north and south.

Doom_Carrot said:
Kjertesvein said:
@Cozur

A small thing:
Melly Waterman is armored with Lordly Iron Guntlet and it seem to lack blood effect on the wrist area.
http://i.imgur.com/HdrIooq.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/DWp0CCD.jpg?1

I have infinite arrows. I don't use cheats or change stats in anyway. Am I the only one here?

a. I shoot some arrows.
b. Hold Ctrl ( zoom ) + click W, A, S keys. If I'm on horseback it seem to restock if I only use Ctrl + W.
c. Then I magically get my quivers restocked.

Am I the only one here who gets infinite arrows?

It may make sense in a defensive siege situation, like seen in Perisno where engineer skill refills quivers for all defensive units every so often. I'm don't think it's very balanced in a field battle though.

http://i.imgur.com/eVPN1Qe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rkXcKkp.jpg

@anyone starting a new kingdom and want to know what the best units are

My second point is about how inferior the Dornish units are compared to the the Sellswords of Essos, The Sellsword Halberdier and the Veteran Sellsword Halberdier. http://i.imgur.com/0eRAg7G.jpg

- Both Halberdier units are clad in top tier armor, 25% more overall armor than the Dornish Knight ( 155 compared to 117 ).
- Their Halberd Can crush through blocks and Bonus versus shields. This Halberd, with it's superior reach ( 148 ), allow them to deal the first strike to other top tier units.
- The Veteran Sellsword Halberdier have a Castle-forged Curved Sword, while the Dornish Knight have a Curved Sword.
- The Sellsword Halberdier require a quarter of the experience needed compared to a Dornish Knight.
- The Sellsword Halberdier have the largest recruitment pool in the game - the entire continent of Essos.
- The merchants of war are renting their product below market value. The Sellsword Halberdier have a decidedly low upkeep cost for their combat stats.

Sellsword Halberdier.
Experience needed 47 892.
Upkeep: 23

34 (head)
66 (body)
55 (leg)

Veteran Sellsword Halberdier
Experience needed 77 233
Upkeep 31

Dornish Serjeants
Experience needed 47 892
upkeep 23

Mounted Dornish Skirimisher
Experience needed 77 233
Upkeep 60

Mounted Dornish Archer
Experience needed 168 636
Upkeep 65

Dornish Knight
Experience needed 195 769
Upkeep 71

I'm not an authority on this, so I won't claim to know how to balance units properly, but it's clear that the Sellsword Halberdier -unit is "a lot of bang for your buck". Their armor prevent most range units from inflicting mortal damage. Their arms beat most infantry and horse. Their upkeep and experience needed to level up is very low compared to other top tier units. It doesn't matter if you are in the White Harbour, King's Landing or in Sunspear, Essos is a short distance away. There is no reason to not fill your army up with these gothic knight.

For reference sake, my Leadership is 7, which lower the general upkeep by 35% I believe.

idian30 said:
And maybe nerf tourney shield a little(smaller) so archer can have some place in tourney .
A main problem with range weaponry is the inherit problem of doing damage while not receiving any damage. It's a constant balancing issue for most games in general. Putting them up against each other, in a Player Versus Environment may not be a good tournament design in my opinion.

The other problem with archery in the Warband sense, is that it scales better than most other things in the game. It already has the highest rate of fire. Weapon Proficiency increase speed and accuracy for archery, while Power Draw increase damage. That is all you need for an archer, Weapon Master and Power Draw.

A melee unit on the other hand have to invest in Ironflesh, Power Strike, Weapon Master, Athletics and Shield. One could argue that Riding is also an essential part of the kit to the melee unit to close the gap to the opposing range unit.

Basically, put some points in archery and get a decent bow and you'll wreck tournaments. Garret Longly is my most feared opponent in the tournaments. ^^

~Wille
Dont have the infinite arrow issue. Also great pictures, they look fantastic, cozur should use them on moddb  :smile:

But as for the sellswords, I believe they are quite balanced. The entire sellsword troop tree is infantry, and they can't be recruited normally at villages, making them just "sliiiightly" harder to obtain. Also, although the halberdiers have great armor and a great polearm, they are relatively uneffective in a cluster****, because they have no room to swing those bulky halberds on ladders, and when they are surrounded. If you want proof of this send 20 halberdiers up a ladder against guys with shortswords and shields. they will most likely get slaughtered. and the normal halberdiers dont have shields, making them very vulnerable to archers.

However, the VETERAN halberdiers... Well, they are very solid, and possibly even among the best heavy infantry in the game, but somewhat balanced due to only having a chance of a halberd, making them relatively vulnerable to cavalry, just like all the other infantry without pointy things.

All in all, if you put 20 sellsword halberdiers against 20 hammermen or 20 unsullied, it will be a damn good fight. I think they are quite balanced.
Thanks for the compliment. :smile:

A Clash of Soldiers of Fortune

400px-HBO_free_cities_sellswords.png

TL;DR I tested out the Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers versus Unsullied. I also tested out the regular Sellsword Halberdiers versus the Unsullied. Both Halberdier units convincingly beat the Unsullied in a field battle. The Unsullied do a better job while standing on a battlement then in a field battle. The Unsullief slightly beat the regular Sellsword Halberdiers in a siege, but still gets beaten by the Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers.

"That would be a damn good idea", I thought to myself "I want to test that out." Do keep in mind that the 78 Veteran Sellsword Helbardiers had a Battle Advantage of -7 versus the 513 Unsullied garrisoned in Qohor. The purpose of this demonstration is to show the initial clash between the two units in a field and siege battle. After the initial clash the AI will spawn almost 2x as many Unsullied so it's taken for granted that Unsullied will overwhelm and crush the Halberdiers in the end. However, the point of this test is to see what happens in the initial clash.

The town is Qohor with 513 Unsullied. The offensive force is 78 Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers. At first there is a Sallying out process which is the field battle. After that, there is the actual siege with ladders. As stated before, to make both sides of the equation balanced I knock out the disparity with cheats. The number can be spotted by the number of wounded Unsullied units. I, nor any companion participated with the units in any way. Just the Unsullied versus the Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers duking it out.

Sallying out is a field battle with 27 vs 27.
http://i.imgur.com/oUpsapr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9rJNJ20.jpg

The result of the field battle was handedly in favor of the Halberdiers. Personally, I've not seen anything so one sided since the start of the Iraq War.  :iamamoron:

After the Sallying out process the battle ended, but the sieged continued, the actual siege with ladders. I knocked out 31 Unsullied with cheats. They made the battle equal with 41 Halberdiers versus 41 Unsullied.
http://i.imgur.com/fWYLOJT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TidBBvL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nr6zLjK.jpg

The result of the siege was not as significant as the field battle, but the result is still there.

I did a similar field battle test with the regular Sellsword Halberdier vs the Unsullied. They beat the Unsullied in a field battle fairly well.

http://i.imgur.com/oR84EIe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VYj665J.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gVRUkQ5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xtozIRu.jpg

A Siege battle with the regular Sellsword Halberdiers vs the Unsullied may go in favor of the Unsullied, but I've not managed to get even numbers on both sides. This is due to my party size being 86, while the garrison units are 513. I don't have time to get the party size just jet. The Unsullied garrison reinforce their ranks before I'm able to test both sides with equal numbers, so I'm hesitant to accept one thing or the other jet. In this case my assumption slides in favor of the Unsullied though.

EDIT: Sellsword Halberdiers versus Unsullied in a siege. I managed to get it to work by knocking out everyone except the main forces. It turns out The Halberdiers loose out on the ladders. Not a landslide, but still conclusive.
http://i.imgur.com/rIyNazU.jpg

~Wille

Stannis Frog said:
Cozur said:
Noted. Tweaking them for 2.1.

Yay, that's what I wanted to hear ^.^

:grin: After long time ago I installed Warband once again and find out that mod... looks so great... never played it before... so I just had to play it... but since I started to fight against sellswords... I must say that I was so damn pissed off that I could not get back to the game. I'm glad that about sellswords I'm not only one with bad experience... I did similar tests myself and wanted to post it there :smile: But results are almost same as above... Tried land battle vs Tyrosh's king... he had about 300 sellswords and only about 55 of them were veteran halberdiers ... 300 unsullieds were just slaughtered... so sad to see them so weak :/ also sellswords are easy to train to veteran level... I was playing as Dorn since start for few in game months and still could not train knight that might fight vs sellswords (I am not great player so I guess many of you could do it) ... but in last few weaks I could easily train many of veteran halberdiers from prisoners since they need a lot less EXP so I didn't even have to buy them... want to say that not only they are that strong (guess best infantry) but also they are very easy to get... anyway your mod looks great and IS great... but those sellswords are ruining it...

sry for mistakes I'm not a native speaker

Kjertesvein said:
Doom_Carrot said:
Kjertesvein said:
@Cozur

A small thing:
Melly Waterman is armored with Lordly Iron Guntlet and it seem to lack blood effect on the wrist area.
http://i.imgur.com/HdrIooq.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/DWp0CCD.jpg?1

I have infinite arrows. I don't use cheats or change stats in anyway. Am I the only one here?

a. I shoot some arrows.
b. Hold Ctrl ( zoom ) + click W, A, S keys. If I'm on horseback it seem to restock if I only use Ctrl + W.
c. Then I magically get my quivers restocked.

Am I the only one here who gets infinite arrows?

It may make sense in a defensive siege situation, like seen in Perisno where engineer skill refills quivers for all defensive units every so often. I'm don't think it's very balanced in a field battle though.

http://i.imgur.com/eVPN1Qe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rkXcKkp.jpg

@anyone starting a new kingdom and want to know what the best units are

My second point is about how inferior the Dornish units are compared to the the Sellswords of Essos, The Sellsword Halberdier and the Veteran Sellsword Halberdier. http://i.imgur.com/0eRAg7G.jpg

- Both Halberdier units are clad in top tier armor, 25% more overall armor than the Dornish Knight ( 155 compared to 117 ).
- Their Halberd Can crush through blocks and Bonus versus shields. This Halberd, with it's superior reach ( 148 ), allow them to deal the first strike to other top tier units.
- The Veteran Sellsword Halberdier have a Castle-forged Curved Sword, while the Dornish Knight have a Curved Sword.
- The Sellsword Halberdier require a quarter of the experience needed compared to a Dornish Knight.
- The Sellsword Halberdier have the largest recruitment pool in the game - the entire continent of Essos.
- The merchants of war are renting their product below market value. The Sellsword Halberdier have a decidedly low upkeep cost for their combat stats.

Sellsword Halberdier.
Experience needed 47 892.
Upkeep: 23

34 (head)
66 (body)
55 (leg)

Veteran Sellsword Halberdier
Experience needed 77 233
Upkeep 31

Dornish Serjeants
Experience needed 47 892
upkeep 23

Mounted Dornish Skirimisher
Experience needed 77 233
Upkeep 60

Mounted Dornish Archer
Experience needed 168 636
Upkeep 65

Dornish Knight
Experience needed 195 769
Upkeep 71

I'm not an authority on this, so I won't claim to know how to balance units properly, but it's clear that the Sellsword Halberdier -unit is "a lot of bang for your buck". Their armor prevent most range units from inflicting mortal damage. Their arms beat most infantry and horse. Their upkeep and experience needed to level up is very low compared to other top tier units. It doesn't matter if you are in the White Harbour, King's Landing or in Sunspear, Essos is a short distance away. There is no reason to not fill your army up with these gothic knight.

For reference sake, my Leadership is 7, which lower the general upkeep by 35% I believe.

idian30 said:
And maybe nerf tourney shield a little(smaller) so archer can have some place in tourney .
A main problem with range weaponry is the inherit problem of doing damage while not receiving any damage. It's a constant balancing issue for most games in general. Putting them up against each other, in a Player Versus Environment may not be a good tournament design in my opinion.

The other problem with archery in the Warband sense, is that it scales better than most other things in the game. It already has the highest rate of fire. Weapon Proficiency increase speed and accuracy for archery, while Power Draw increase damage. That is all you need for an archer, Weapon Master and Power Draw.

A melee unit on the other hand have to invest in Ironflesh, Power Strike, Weapon Master, Athletics and Shield. One could argue that Riding is also an essential part of the kit to the melee unit to close the gap to the opposing range unit.

Basically, put some points in archery and get a decent bow and you'll wreck tournaments. Garret Longly is my most feared opponent in the tournaments. ^^

~Wille
Dont have the infinite arrow issue. Also great pictures, they look fantastic, cozur should use them on moddb  :smile:

But as for the sellswords, I believe they are quite balanced. The entire sellsword troop tree is infantry, and they can't be recruited normally at villages, making them just "sliiiightly" harder to obtain. Also, although the halberdiers have great armor and a great polearm, they are relatively uneffective in a cluster****, because they have no room to swing those bulky halberds on ladders, and when they are surrounded. If you want proof of this send 20 halberdiers up a ladder against guys with shortswords and shields. they will most likely get slaughtered. and the normal halberdiers dont have shields, making them very vulnerable to archers.

However, the VETERAN halberdiers... Well, they are very solid, and possibly even among the best heavy infantry in the game, but somewhat balanced due to only having a chance of a halberd, making them relatively vulnerable to cavalry, just like all the other infantry without pointy things.

All in all, if you put 20 sellsword halberdiers against 20 hammermen or 20 unsullied, it will be a damn good fight. I think they are quite balanced.
Thanks for the compliment. :smile:

A Clash of Soldiers of Fortune

400px-HBO_free_cities_sellswords.png

TL;DR I tested out the Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers versus Unsullied. I also tested out the regular Sellsword Halberdiers versus the Unsullied. Both Halberdier units convincingly beat the Unsullied in a field battle. The Unsullied do a better job while standing on a battlement then in a field battle. The Unsullief slightly beat the regular Sellsword Halberdiers in a siege, but still gets beaten by the Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers.

"That would be a damn good idea", I thought to myself "I want to test that out." Do keep in mind that the 78 Veteran Sellsword Helbardiers had a Battle Advantage of -7 versus the 513 Unsullied garrisoned in Qohor. The purpose of this demonstration is to show the initial clash between the two units in a field and siege battle. After the initial clash the AI will spawn almost 2x as many Unsullied so it's taken for granted that Unsullied will overwhelm and crush the Halberdiers in the end. However, the point of this test is to see what happens in the initial clash.

The town is Qohor with 513 Unsullied. The offensive force is 78 Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers. At first there is a Sallying out process which is the field battle. After that, there is the actual siege with ladders. As stated before, to make both sides of the equation balanced I knock out the disparity with cheats. The number can be spotted by the number of wounded Unsullied units. I, nor any companion participated with the units in any way. Just the Unsullied versus the Veteran Sellsword Halberdiers duking it out.

Sallying out is a field battle with 27 vs 27.
http://i.imgur.com/oUpsapr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9rJNJ20.jpg

The result of the field battle was handedly in favor of the Halberdiers. Personally, I've not seen anything so one sided since the start of the Iraq War.  :iamamoron:

After the Sallying out process the battle ended, but the sieged continued, the actual siege with ladders. I knocked out 31 Unsullied with cheats. They made the battle equal with 41 Halberdiers versus 41 Unsullied.
http://i.imgur.com/fWYLOJT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TidBBvL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nr6zLjK.jpg

The result of the siege was not as significant as the field battle, but the result is still there.

I did a similar field battle test with the regular Sellsword Halberdier vs the Unsullied. They beat the Unsullied in a field battle fairly well.

http://i.imgur.com/oR84EIe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VYj665J.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gVRUkQ5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xtozIRu.jpg

A Siege battle with the regular Sellsword Halberdiers vs the Unsullied may go in favor of the Unsullied, but I've not managed to get even numbers on both sides. This is due to my party size being 86, while the garrison units are 513. I don't have time to get the party size just jet. The Unsullied garrison reinforce their ranks before I'm able to test both sides with equal numbers, so I'm hesitant to accept one thing or the other jet. In this case my assumption slides in favor of the Unsullied though.

EDIT: Sellsword Halberdiers versus Unsullied in a siege. I managed to get it to work by knocking out everyone except the main forces. It turns out The Halberdiers loose out on the ladders. Not a landslide, but still conclusive.
http://i.imgur.com/rIyNazU.jpg

~Wille
Wow, I am VERY impressed by that in depth report. I also find it quite intruiging.

However, due to your repeated results of your data and observations, I must admit that you seem to be right, the halberdeirs are OP  :smile:

Very impressed, good job, now they shall be fixed for 2.1, essos is forever in your debt  :grin:

Cozur said:
Noted. Tweaking them for 2.1.

I would say they need crappier equiptment, but keep the skillset. After all, they are sellswords, and sellswords dont exactly have good armor and weapons. At least not the second sons or Bronn.

I changed their equipment with Morgh's pretty soon after I had a group of 10 of them that I noticed would never die. Maybe some chainmail would be more appropriate than full plate.

Absolutely beautiful work. My only advice is to possibly increase garrisons on some major locations, mainly Kings Landing. In my first playthroughs the Tyrells immediately ride north and stompall over KL, and that's not a bad thing, per say, but I'd like to see it hold out a bit longer. That being said, I guess it's more accurate that KL have a weak garrison because in the books, if I recall, the capitol was in dire straits until reinforcements arrived during the assault. Anyways, once again, this mod is a blast.

Why not have standard armies for the free cities, and complement it with a few sellswords? Say, Volantis having the tiger cloaks mainly and a few hired mercs. Everyone on the continent having only sellswords gets a little bit boring

Othurin said:
Why not have standard armies for the free cities, and complement it with a few sellswords? Say, Volantis having the tiger cloaks mainly and a few hired mercs. Everyone on the continent having only sellswords gets a little bit boring

The essos citys had their own troops back in older versions aslong as I remember, but I'm not sure why they got replaced by sellswords.

And there's a bug that you can't recruit sellsword man at arms and sellsword longbowmans after 1 ~ week ingame, you can just tell them to get ready and leave soon even you haven't hired them :/

Back
Top Bottom