B Medieval [WB] Warband: Total Realism, 1148 A.D. - (MAPPER needed)

How do you feel about the name of the mod?

• Its great and should stay the same.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Its not so great, but I don't mind it.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I don't like it, and here is my opinion (please post suggestions).

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I would like if it changed to 1148 - The Siege of Damascus

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

kuauik said:
when the 1257 mod reach its beta,then i am free to make some textures for you,in case you like my textures of course :mrgreen:

I love your textures D:

Especially the Castillan, Jerusalem and the other mails in 1257, i wish every mod had that quality stuff!

This is some awesome progress.
Sorry I haven't been replying, its mainly because I was traveling and due to my Laptop dying on me.

@ Sahran, that is some gorgeous stuff right there. I will get to adding a post for the Fatimids right away. We will finish their other information as well and have them and the SSR done so we can move on to next factions.
Also, Ghulaman Al-Khass are a very important rank that I seemed to have forgotten/ignored. Thanks for them! I will replace the Senior Ghulam with that.

@Al-Mansur:
Check your inbox please :wink:

@Kuauik:
Be sure to PM me when you reach the beta so I can start giving you jobz =)

Who should be worked on roster wise next? I'd be most up for doing the Almohads, Armenians, Castile/aragon (Maybe Navarra and Portugual if I can find stuff on them), the French, and maybe Sicily. I could try and do the Abbasids as well.

I just wanted to say something about armor, it's that mail costed more than any soldier could afford, it was only worn by knights at that time (or so said someone who seemed to know what he was talking about). A trained soldier would use "Things like studded leather, or Asiatic silk robes, or rusty mail", as he says. I don't know if what he says is true, but it seems plausible, as mail required a lot of work to do. Rusty mail would be discarded by knights probably and therefore more accessible for a trained soldier.

All this to say, that if you put heavy armor on a troop, make sure it's a knight (or equivalent status). Could you also make the weapon list for Seljuks?

I'll start work on that soon.

Also Sahran, it would be good if we finished Muslim factions first because they make a good chunk of the work and are probably the most demanding in terms of research and what not. I'm guessing Crusader States would be easier to research. Since we have someone working on Almohads, or at least they had a mod regarding the Iberian Peninsula so might have some information about them, I think the Abassids/Danismends/Zengids/Burids might be good next.

What do I dooooo??  D:
Kamikazuh wants to get working.

Great work everybody. :smile:

Edit. @ Outlawed & Sahran
Thanks! Glad to help!

@Kamikazuh

Here's a nice concept screenshot. The equipment is a tad late for the mod, but it can serve as a basis for a composition. Maybe it'll make a nice background for a signature.....

mb17.jpg

Just for something to try. I am in no way mandating you to do it. And Outlawed may come up with something better anyway.....

NordArcher said:
I just wanted to say something about armor, it's that mail costed more than any soldier could afford, it was only worn by knights at that time (or so said someone who seemed to know what he was talking about). A trained soldier would use "Things like studded leather, or Asiatic silk robes, or rusty mail", as he says. I don't know if what he says is true, but it seems plausible, as mail required a lot of work to do. Rusty mail would be discarded by knights probably and therefore more accessible for a trained soldier.

All this to say, that if you put heavy armor on a troop, make sure it's a knight (or equivalent status). Could you also make the weapon list for Seljuks?

I think that's a tricky question because it's clear that almost every faction had access to mail and did use it, and use it beyond the knightly sort of class. Part of the reason for the myth of the unarmored saracen is because it was popular if not outright necessary for them to wear their armor beneath their cloth (and also for fashionable reasons), hence they could appear unarmored when in fact they weren't. And some stuff like the "kazanghand" was actually a cloth kaftan with 2 layers of mail.

But there seems to be something to the idea that Frankish mail, or at least the mail worn by a knight was thicker or more layered than the mail Saracen's wore, and also a belated and unscientific realization of mine that you can often see concept art or a visual art of a mail coat with only one, almost see through layer of mail on a poorer, low quality soldier and then the mail of a knight and their similars which would seem thicker.

So mail shouldn't be limited to just knights, nor would just knights be the heaviest soldiers around (See the Frankish accounts of the Gesta Francorum and they comment that at the siege of Antioch the Muslims had 3,000 men called "Agulani" (Though they may have been Mamluks/ghulams) whom the author says they and their horses were fully encased in armor and feared no weaponry), but knights would be amongst the heaviest soldiers around.

Outlawed: Gotcha, I'll see what I can do.

Sahran said:
NordArcher said:

I think that's a tricky question because it's clear that almost every faction had access to mail and did use it, and use it beyond the knightly sort of class. Part of the reason for the myth of the unarmored saracen is because it was popular if not outright necessary for them to wear their armor beneath their cloth (and also for fashionable reasons), hence they could appear unarmored when in fact they weren't. And some stuff like the "kazanghand" was actually a cloth kaftan with 2 layers of mail.

But there seems to be something to the idea that Frankish mail, or at least the mail worn by a knight was thicker or more layered than the mail Saracen's wore, and also a belated and unscientific realization of mine that you can often see concept art or a visual art of a mail coat with only one, almost see through layer of mail on a poorer, low quality soldier and then the mail of a knight and their similars which would seem thicker.

So mail shouldn't be limited to just knights, nor would just knights be the heaviest soldiers around (See the Frankish accounts of the Gesta Francorum and they comment that at the siege of Antioch the Muslims had 3,000 men called "Agulani" (Though they may have been Mamluks/ghulams) whom the author says they and their horses were fully encased in armor and feared no weaponry), but knights would be amongst the heaviest soldiers around.

Outlawed: Gotcha, I'll see what I can do.
Yep, basically in that period, the Eastern Roman Empire and the Persian influenced Muslim states in the East had the heaviest cavalry. Basically encased horses(and soldiers).

Counterpoint, that's an awesome screenshot but the late equipments are too much obvious, especially great helms. We will see them immediately.

Al_Mansur said:
Counterpoint, that's an awesome screenshot but the late equipments are too much obvious, especially great helms. We will see them immediately.

Don't worry I already spoke to 'Ze Artist' and instructed him :wink:

Also Sahran, if you could try and finish up the research for the Fatimids in terms of the template and I'll start on the Zengids.

For the Template, just so we're clear I'm not really one for doing the non military research.  :grin: I can figure out maybe a few things, like the leader/banners, but I was hoping someone else could handle the "Administrative" part of the Fatimids. My forte is more with regards to military organization, nomenclature, appearances, that sort of stuff.

I can streamline that part of it (the military, the units) into the template although it basically is done since I split up the different troop trees under local, merc, and special. I just need to update them with the additional research I did.

Also when you mentioned in the past the remaining 4 East Islamic factions, I think it's fair to say that the Danismends would largely be a duplicate of the Seljuks of Rum and the Burids a duplicate of the Zengids up to a certain point. With the Danismends I really can't see how their roster would be any different, since when in the past I did research on various Seljuk States it pointed to a fairly regular appearance whether they were in Anatolia, Syria, or even Iran. And I don't see any possible research showing up for the Danismends that wasn't for the Seljuks of Rum.

For the Burids, it'd pretty much be the Zengids again with a few changes. I know the Zengid's big three ethnic groups of their soldiers were Turks (Primary), Arabs and Kurds and also Armenian mercenaries, so the Burids would pretty much just be Turkic and Arab troops with the usual Ahdath and so on.

Hmm. Maybe it would be a good idea to have the Burids under the Zengids and the Danismends under the Rums then.
I think that would make work easier and would help us with the duplicate problem. Also, I'm still getting to learn how to make maps with the Map Editor, so it might take a while before I actually get the map done =p
I'll get on the administrative of the Fatimids then.

So, that means we have Fatimids and Seljuks out of the way, military wise. Ofcourse some name changes are needed for my troop tree, I'll go ahead and add yours the way it is right now and if you want to update it, just let me know.

I've updated all the main flags for the Muslim factions in this Mod. Spoilers next to faction names on the first post and here they are in this one.

The Seljuks of Rum
SeljuksofRum.png

The Zengid Dynasty
ZengidDynasty.png

The Almohads
Almohads.png

The Fatimid Caliphate
FatimidCaliphate.png

The Abbasid Caliphate
AbassidFlag.png

So I made some researchs for some Fatimid units with the books I have. Of course, Sahran would be far more useful than me with that as he knows a lot about Fatimids, but I think what I've done is a good start.

Concerning Ajnad, al-Muqta'un, al-Hujariyya Faris, here interesting drawings of 12th century Fatimid/Arab horsemen:
16450401555324_fatimidfaris.jpg
From left to right: mid 12th century Fatimid horseman (source: Armies and ennemis of the Crusades 1096-1291), 12th century Fatimid horseman (source: Saladin and the Saracens, Osprey), early 12th century Arab Faris (source: Saracen Faris, Osprey).

So I think that besides a turban, a spear and a sword the Ajnad Faris can wear a simple tunic or leather light armor and have a small turs (round shield).
Concerning Al-Muqta'un, they should wear a short hauberk, and have small kite shield or turs. A turban on the head is sufficient.
Finally, al-Hujariyya should be protected by a long hauberk, sometimes covered by a tunic, as it was often the case in all Islamic world. Both kite shields and turs (of all sizes) are good for them. They should wear mail coifs with turbans or mail coifs with helmets and turbans.

Otherwise, a Sibyan al-Khass (from Saladin and the Saracens):
18161571341232_fatimidguard.jpg
He is heavily armored. Under his tunic he wears a full hauberk.

Concerning mid 12th century Syrian horsemen, they are nice drawings in Armies and ennemis of the crusades:
10267696657647_sans_titre_6.jpg
They fit with the description made by Sahran in his troop trees.

I continue tomorrow, I'm too tired now to write clear things, especially about items..

Great work on the flags, Outlawed.

Al-Mansur, you did a good job and I can't imagine I have more visual resources than you.  :grin:

I pretty much agree with your work on the Fatimids, although Armies of the Crusades 1096-1291 does seem to stress the relative rarity of the kite shield though it was in use. The only big thing I'd change is with regards to the leather light armor. I am sure they and other Muslims did use leather armor but generally it does seem more likely that quilted/padded cotton would be used instead of leather - which I don't think is very comfortable for the wearer in the heat of the Mid-East and which I know would crack, warp and break more easily (one of the reasons the Wehrmacht switched from leather to canvas webbing for their equipment in North Africa in WW2).

From the Hamblin's Thesis I was given by someone on a Wargaming Forum, written for the University of Michigan by this author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Hamblin

There were not substantial differences between the military tech of the Fatimids and the Crusaders, and if anything the Fatimid technology may have been superior.

However, the relative proportions of heavily as opposed to lightly armed men in the two armies could have a significant impact on the results of campaigns. In attempting to explain the reasons for the Fatimid defeat at the hands of the Crusaders some modern historians have made the assumption that the Fatimid troopers were in general more lightly armed than the Crusaders.

Precise data on the types and quality of arms and armor for the Fatimids is not readily available...(ect.), nonetheless, a careful exmanination of the available evidence even if it will not as yet produce a complete picture of the fatimid armament, will at least allow us to dismiss the theory that the Fatimids were poorly and lightly equipped.

Cavalrymen's equipment

(Paraphrased) "While the Berbers that helped the Fatimids conquer Egypt may have been for the most part lightly armed, a signifigant portion of the Fatimid Cavalry adopted heavier armor in the later periods."

1000 AD - Fatimid cavalry regiment described as 400 mamluks wearing kazaghand armor and helmets, swords and war maces, and taifif (barding) for their horses.

1060 AD - Nasir-i Khusrav describes "10,000 cavalry with expensive equipment. Each horse is covered with armor. (Almost certainly exaggerated)

1144 AD - Usama notes that in a battle the Fatimid army had 'donned armor for combat'.

1163 AD - 6000 Fatimid cavalry are described as heaving costly armor and excellent weapons.

Some fatimid armor is described as being double strength, consisting of a kazaghand covered by mail. While this might suggest some Fatimid cavalry were heavier than the Frankish counterparts, it's not to say all were as heavily armored as those described above. Many or most of the irregular troops with their lack of regular pay and equipment distrubutions from the state would be more lightly armored, or even unarmored.

1136 AD - When "Bahram" fled to Upper Egypt he was accompanied by about 2000 Faris rumat = mounted archers.

Albert of Aix confirms the use of bows by mounted Fatimid troops in the garrison of Ascalon, sending forth men well skilled in the use of lance and bow.

Dr. Hamblin suggests (as I've read elsewhere) of the Armenian cavalry being the most accomplished at horse archery, and that it was mentioned by a "Maqrizi" that in the days of Al-Zahir the Hujariya were trained in horse archery.

Infantry Equipment
Lutut/Lutat - a war mace of an elongated head and iron shaft two cubits long (3 feet), square in form. Was used by cavalry and Sudanese infantry (the Azoparts).

Reinforces the predominance of the javelin amongst the sudanese (along with them using shields), and that the Daraqa would have a metal or silver boss.

Archers/Crossbowmen are important but few in numbers. 8000 infantry were present in a military review of unknown date, only 1000 of which are armed with bow or crossbow. Another review of 5000 brings up only 500 crossbowmen.

Reinforces the Armenians being excellent bowmen, an anecdote of Bahram saying a thousand armenian bowmen could help him conquer the world to the gates of Constantinople. When Al-afdal ruled (until 1121), Armenians probably had a monopoly on Archery.

Armor
Survey of Artistic gorelik has recognized the armor of the Fatimid period included:
Mail (dir' or zardiya), lamellar jawshan, a type similar to scale with a rounded scale edge upwards beyond the mail and finally the scale (quilted or lined) qazakand. Like the contemporary short syrian mail coat the long mail coat had full length sleeves and often served as an undershirt. Lamellar armor, being knee length, probably had a hemmed slit in the front. Armor similar to scale was waist long and poncho-chaped.

"kazaghand armour reinforced by mail covered in finely wrought silk brocade, and jawshan armor reinforced ( Madfuna - literally 'buried') by chain mail and gold."

"Kazaghand/Khazaghand/qazakand) and jawshan were types of lamellar, scale, or splint armor which included a large number of different specific styles" - Not necessarily true, as I believe a Kazaghand was typically a mail coat within a quilted/cloth tunic. However the nomenclature is tricky and it may be that the Jawshan is the armor with 'buried' mail

Horse barding is "Taifif" (I think)

Daraqa is the small round shield with no wood - just leather and possibly metal rim/boss

Turs is a large round shield, possibly and probably convex, with a wood and leather design and the optional metal rim/bosses/studs.

Some metal shields were used, as were poorer quality ones of reed or whatever.

Weaponry
Usual faire of weaponry: Swords, lances, ect.

Comments that in the most important arsenal helmets and most of the many types of mail suits and swords were decorated with silver

Arab style swords
Qaljuriya swords - long, slightly curved Persian saber, the qalachur
Lances
Painted and gold washed Qartariya (a very long cavalry lance)

Bows - for shooting by hand according to the respective skill of the archer. Khatut bow was appropriate for skilled archers.

Crossbows - Qisi al-rijl
Stirrup Crossbow - qisl al-rikab (May not be a stirrup to load the crossbow, but rather a horseman's crossbow since rikab is usually for mounted)

Thats some good work for the day. You guys make an excellent team in terms of a visual and a historic reference. Good work you both.
I'll leave the Muslim factions to you guys and work on the Crusader States so that more work is done.
Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom