B Medieval [WB] Warband: Total Realism, 1148 A.D. - (MAPPER needed)

How do you feel about the name of the mod?

• Its great and should stay the same.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Its not so great, but I don't mind it.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I don't like it, and here is my opinion (please post suggestions).

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I would like if it changed to 1148 - The Siege of Damascus

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks promising... if you need help with the Iberic Peninsula just ask me (as you did  :razz:)

But there is something wrong, or at least I think so: in the Bedouin trooptree, there is a three way upgrade (tribesman to raider, noble or archer), as far as I know it can be only a two way upgrade.

Btw, Outlawed, I'll pm you maybe in Monday or so, because this weekend I'm in a medieval fair in Ávila with my girlfriend, and I'm not going to use any pc in those days (not because of the fair, but to disconnect a little).

I'm not sure if you should start out with the Askar as the beginning of the infantry. I've almost always heard the term used to define the professional cavalrymen, rather than infantrymen. You can see on the page 18 of the Armies and Enemies of the Crusades book how it seems to really specifically focus on cavalry. Again when it goes to troops 35 through 38, whom "The figures themselves are probably syrians, representing the Turkish mamluks of the various askars". And given their professional nature, I don't understand why they should upgrade into the Ahdath (who are City militia) given it would go from professional to unprofessional.

#44 talks about the Syrian infantry, who are "provided largely by the city militias and other irregular volunteers (thus not the askaris)". The only Turks in this period who really were big proponents of Infantry were the Eastern Khorasan based dynasties (Ghaznavids/Ghorids). I believe in the West the guys who used the closest things to regular, well trained heavy infantry amongst the Seljuk states were the Zengids - I don't really think Rum did.  Units #49 and #50 of the aformentioned book are cited as the Seljuk Infantry, "usually unarmored and most were either javelinmen or archers, and some crossbows". Personally I would recommend they replace the Askari at the bottom of the infantry roster and maybe even cut out the top tier of infantry, make various heavy/professional infantry available as mercenaries for the Seljuks of Rum based on Georgian/Byzantine/Syrian mercenaries.

No offense meant of course, just some research ideas.

Sahran said:
I'm not sure if you should start out with the Askar as the beginning of the infantry. I've almost always heard the term used to define the professional cavalrymen, rather than infantrymen. You can see on the page 18 of the Armies and Enemies of the Crusades book how it seems to really specifically focus on cavalry. Again when it goes to troops 35 through 38, whom "The figures themselves are probably syrians, representing the Turkish mamluks of the various askars". And given their professional nature, I don't understand why they should upgrade into the Ahdath (who are City militia) given it would go from professional to unprofessional.

#44 talks about the Syrian infantry, who are "provided largely by the city militias and other irregular volunteers (thus not the askaris)". The only Turks in this period who really were big proponents of Infantry were the Eastern Khorasan based dynasties (Ghaznavids/Ghorids). I believe in the West the guys who used the closest things to regular, well trained heavy infantry amongst the Seljuk states were the Zengids - I don't really think Rum did.  Units #49 and #50 of the aformentioned book are cited as the Seljuk Infantry, "usually unarmored and most were either javelinmen or archers, and some crossbows". Personally I would recommend they replace the Askari at the bottom of the infantry roster and maybe even cut out the top tier of infantry, make various heavy/professional infantry available as mercenaries for the Seljuks of Rum based on Georgian/Byzantine/Syrian mercenaries.

No offense meant of course, just some research ideas.

Oh, none taken at all Sahran. This is actually good because this discussion probably means that we will end up with a troop tree thats even closer to being historically valid. Thanks for your input.
Now for my reply =p

The fact that Askars were just cavalry is a misconception. Askars were mostly cavalry yes, because seljuk armies only used infantry as a form of foot archers or shock troops with their Mercenary shock troops such as Bedouin Nobles and Ghazi's being more effective at it. However, the same source we are discussing clearly states that the term Askar wasn't just for the Sultan's own slave mamluk force. He said that amirs or high ranked Iqta'dars also had their own Askaris who were sometimes composed of 'Freemen'.

Also, the way the Syrian infantry will be built is quite different than the Seljuk system because I do not think the system of Iqta'at had been implemented there yet. I think Saladin implemented it when he took the whole area much later, but look me up on that one.

Also, these infantry units are very light armored. I might not have specified that in the unit description so my bad, but these final tier spearmen are very basic Light Infantry and shock troops nothing more really.

In the end of the day, when you look at the Merc and Special units list you'd see that the Rums do not actually have access to any heavy infantry unit per say because they did not use them in the conventional style. Their infantry had to be light to match the flow of the rest of army.

Here is my support =p
Askariinformation.png

As a 400 000 or even 70 000 army composing of pure Askaris of the Sultan, suggesting that they were all elite Ghulams and Mamluks is quite suspicious.

Perhaps what I can do is change the Askar basic name, since it esuggests a more professional troop, into an Ahdath Freeman, or Ahdath Recruit.

Lope de Rojas said:
Looks promising... if you need help with the Iberic Peninsula just ask me (as you did  :razz:)

But there is something wrong, or at least I think so: in the Bedouin trooptree, there is a three way upgrade (tribesman to raider, noble or archer), as far as I know it can be only a two way upgrade.

Btw, Outlawed, I'll pm you maybe in Monday or so, because this weekend I'm in a medieval fair in Ávila with my girlfriend, and I'm not going to use any pc in those days (not because of the fair, but to disconnect a little).

Glad to hear that you're joining us. I'll make an edit on first post when you PM me to see how exactly we are going to merge. Regarding the Bedouin troop tree, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: I did some research on the Muslim factions we have left out here. Most of them had mainly 1 province/area or main town and its fiefs. The two main ones that seem to have had a direct impact on the rest of the factions in the biggest way due to alliances/treaties/areas were the Ortuqids, or Artuqids and the Burids.

For me, the Burids of Damascus are a must. Since they held Damascus against the Crusaders and managed to get them to break the siege in 4 days. Some say they bribed their old allies, but we cannot know for sure. The Burids later became Vassals of the Zengids under Nur Al-Deen.

As for the Artuqids allied with Edessa against the Zengis. In 1144 when Edessa was taken they became vassals of the Zengids under Nur Al-Deen's father, Imad Al-Deen aka Zengi. They were also good allies to Salahudin against the Rum Sultanate.

So while adding the Artuqids is debatable mainly due to them being under the Zengids, we could add them.
Personally I think it will not have a good cost/benifit ratio but I want to hear what the rest of you think.

This post will explain how the weapon systems will work in WTR 1148.

Basically, there will be things called weapon trees that match the troops trees for each faction.
Most of the time, the factions will wield unique weapons for their units. However, if we follow a weapon through its tree evolution you wouldn't see that drastic of a difference between the base troop of the tree, and the final troop of the tree. Most of the time the players will notice that upgrading a unit is now somewhat harder, especially when you get towards the later branches.
Units will make the difference, not the weapons that they carry.

Also, there will be several copies of the same weapon (stats wise) but it will look different merely for asthetic purposes. I'm debating doing the same thing for some armors.

Also, pierce damage will be increased. Arrows now do more damage, bolts do more damage. Arrow/Bolt fire rate is now slower and the animation will be tweaked for that as well. Archers will take longer to actually get the arrow from the quiver and set it on the string, crossbowmen will take longer to set bolt and ready the crossbow.

You make a good point and one I normally agreed with, that it's unlikely the Askars were just slave warriors. While I suppose they weren't entirely cavalry I do think the vast majority of the Askars in the usual usage of the term would be cavalrymen. Any self respecting professional warrior of most backgrounds (Arab, Kurdish, Turkish, ect.) would prefer to fight on horseback. I think I am just nitpicking with the nomenclature of the term Askar, and your explaination allays any concerns about them being too heavy or too durable.

But remember that Ghulam and Mamluk doesn't necessarily confer elite, heavily armored status - there would certainly be hierarchal and quality rankings there.

Hi, i'm Pirate. I'm investigating some medieval weapons, mainly swords and backswords, and i'm making a .txt file with usefull links, just thought i'd let you know.

Also, i wonder if it's possible to make the player have to sheathe his weapon before unsheathing another weapon? Maybe by changing animation or something. Just suggesting.

Outlawed said:
...If you can model, texture, animate, code or skin please join our team...

I can't do any of those.
But I can draw.  :smile:
I've wandered on this forum once in a while and now I managed to make a account. This seems to be a very cool mod and I would like to help, if I can. Concept art, promotional art or something like that...
My stuff you can find here: http://kamikazuh.deviantart.com/    And here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190081&page=4

And hello everyone!!

I finished my research on 12th century swords, and here's what i found out:

- Middle-Eastern swords (which Turks had) were mostly straigth bladed, although it is common belief that they were curved.
- Arming swords were the ones used by Knights and corresponded to Oakeshott's Typology's Type XI, XII and XIII, but only XI fitted the timeline for Europe (Aparently, there were Type XIII Middle-Eastern swords). It appears all Swadian swords are Type XI and XIa swords (XIa is the short sword), and that Nord swords are Type X (which is the original "viking sword") and XI, since X and Xa are too short to fit.
- During the 12th century, Longswords and Hand-And-A-Half Swords (Bastard Sword) didn't exist or weren't widely used, nor were Great Swords (or Zweihänders), this means they'll need to get removed (which i can do, if you want, only need to edit three files).
- I researched the weight of those weapons and it seems to range from 1.1kg to 1.4kg. In Native they were all 1.5kg, so i fixed it.
- Type X swords were mainly used for cutting, and had rounded tips. Type XI were generally acute and could allow thrusting.

Aparently what made European swords powerfull cutting tools was their weight (Arming Sword Review).

I know we're not even onto Europe yet but i found all this stuff while researching eastern swords.

Just letting you guys know.

Nice project. Maybe my 3D stuffs would interest you.

NordArcher, that's good but as I already said "Saif" is only the Arabic word for sword (straight or curved).  :wink:

Al_Mansur said:
Nice project. Maybe my 3D stuffs would interest you.

NordArcher, that's good but as I already said "Saif" is only the Arabic word for sword (straight or curved).  :wink:

Yeah i know, i forgot to edit it out :p. But the thing is, if you look for Saif in google images (atleast english version) it comes up with scimitars.

Yes I noticed it, it's because of the false idea that Arab swords are curved. Besides none of the swords which appear are medieval. Otherwise when you write "Sayf", all swords are straight.  :wink:

Al_Mansur said:
Yes I noticed it, it's because of the false idea that Arab swords are curved. Besides none of the swords which appear are medieval. Otherwise when you write "Sayf", all swords are straight.  :wink:

True that.

Awesome stuff Kamikazuh. I'll try and have the Fatimid Roster squared away with in a day or two

Sahran said:
You make a good point and one I normally agreed with, that it's unlikely the Asks were just slave warriors. While I suppose they weren't entirely cavalry I do think the vast majority of the Askars in the usual usage of the term would be cavalrymen. Any self respecting professional warrior of most backgrounds (Arab, Kurdish, Turkish, ect.) would prefer to fight on horseback. I think I am just nitpicking with the nomenclature of the term Askar, and your explaination allays any concerns about them being too heavy or too durable.

But remember that Ghulam and Mamluk doesn't necessarily confer elite, heavily armored status - there would certainly be hierarchal and quality rankings there.

Yeah, pretty much I just wanted a unit paid for by the Sultan that was not a cavalry unit. Something like pure soldiers which made up the small minority of the Askars.

Also regarding Slave Mamluk tree, its mainly classes I had came up with, except the first and the last Hasham class. I have not been able to find proper hiearchy references regarding Seljuk Mamluks anywhere.

Kamikazuh said:
Outlawed said:
...If you can model, texture, animate, code or skin please join our team...

I can't do any of those.
But I can draw.  :smile:
I've wandered on this forum once in a while and now I managed to make a account. This seems to be a very cool mod and I would like to help, if I can. Concept art, promotional art or something like that...
My stuff you can find here: http://kamikazuh.deviantart.com/    And here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190081&page=4

And hello everyone!!

Oh that is some beautiful stuff. It would be an honor for us to have you do some concept art for us. I'll go ahead and add you for the team and will contact you very soon about what sort of stuff we'd be looking for =) Thanks for you interest!

@NordArcher, that is some good solid research, which would help me create those weapon trees for you, unless of course you would read the description and try to match trees yourself?

@Al-Mansur
I replied to your pm, and I'm adding you to the team as modeler. Thanks!

For a name change for 1 of the Ghulams, from Saladin and the Saracens Osprey (Which also testifies to what you said and I doubted  :mrgreen:, that infantry and garrison troops were part of the askaris):

(Senior Ghulams) - Ghulaman-i-khass: Belonged to the rule or the senior military leaders, princes, and generals yet were separate from the small elite force of court ghulams who were a ruler's bodyguard/trusted aids (the Hasham). Khass generally translated to elite, it'd come across as Senior/Elite Ghulams.

Also a unit you might want to consider as a mercenary are the "Agulani" of the Seljuks during the 1st Crusade. They were either Ghulams or Ghulams from Azerbaijan, commented in the Crusader Document Gesta Francorum as: "The Agulani were three thousand in number and feared neither lances, arrows, nor any kind of arms, because they and all their horses were fitted with iron all around, and they refused to carry any arms except swords into battle. All of these came to the siege of Antioch to disperse the gathering of Franks." http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/gesta-cde.html#antioch1

You can get a brief idea of the argument over whether they were a people or a military unit here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54144&sid=3d2c76bdf1217ca5fd5400fe0cde0b9a

Reminds me, I'll touch on it in the Fatimid Roster but another big thing to change is with the Bedouin Mercenaries available to the Seljuks. It's very explicit that the Bedouin and Arabs never took to mounted archery - it might have been tried once in a blue moon but I seem to recall early Umayyad/abbasid efforts at training their Arabs to do so failed spectacularly. While they would and did practice archery on foot (The Prophet Muhammad I believe categorizing first the sword, then the spear, then the bow as ideal in terms of martial prowess, but the bow only when on foot), none of them would do so on horseback.

I would make the Bedouin Archer a dismounted foot-archer, arm the Bedouin Raider with javelins and sword/spear/shield and the Bedouin Nobles with sword/spear and shield as a sort of light cavalry.

Note: Just got two great sources from someone on a wargaming site for the Fatimids. Might revise some of this a little, especially in regards to nomenclature. Already found the more accurate term for the Armenian soldiers ("Al Arman al-askariya"), and that "a significant portion if not all of the Armenian cavalry served as mounted archers" (which goes against what I suggested below). It also gives a better name for the Lutat macement, attributed by the historian Albert of Aix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_of_Aix) who says of "Azopart" referring either to Sudani in general, or a specific regiment of Sudani described as "black people from the land of Ethiopia, horrible and black, marshalled in the middle of the thousands of pagans armed with maces like hammers composed of iron and lead", which is what the secondary references I've read of Lutat were based around.

So I'll update this in a day or two.

I had some trouble charting how the Fatimid roster would upgrade because I wanted to avoid any oddities (like free men upgrading into mamluks, or blacks upgrading into arabs). This is what I have for now:

Strengths:

Wide coverage of troop types (almost everything is covered)
Cheap, numerous access to infantry (sudanese)
It's easy to field fairly large numbers of troops (Sudanese infantry, bedouin/jund cavalry) - that's more the old and disproven belief about Fatimid armies in this period (That they were big and unwieldy) but what the hell lets go with it. :grin:

Weaknesses:

Somewhat lighter armored than their neighbors
Low quality rank and file soldiery
Limited Horse Archers

Fatimid Iqta/National:

Jund (pl. Ajnad) Faris/Fawaris - Jund has a double meaning of both a governing province in Syria/Palestine and also an earlier meaning of military unit/army/militia of Arabs. In this case I'm doing the reverse of what the Shatteredlances source says: The Ajnad by being a more anachronistic "Pan Arab Militia/warband/loosely defined unit" are a provincial or militia cavalry, rather than the standard feudal counterpart to a knight.

Al-Muqta'un Faris/Fawaris -
Mounted entourages of an Iqta holding Emir. The Askaris, in other words. They would consist of a wide array of ethnicities and status (freeborn or slave, white or black, ect.). In our case they'd be the bread and butter Fatimid cavalry, armored in light mail.

Al-Hujariyya Faris/Fawaris: The Hujar was the barracks and while the definition of it's usage varied (whether they were slaves, the sons of warriors or whatever), the common feature is that after the failure of the Crusades the Wazir instituted a military reform. In this case he established barracks where troops would live, be maintained and trained as a well trained and easily mobilized regiment.

Mamluk Al-Amir (pl. Mamalik al-Umara): "Mamluke(s) of the Amir(s)"
The decline of the Fatimids, starting perhaps from the mid 11th century seems to have led to a strong presence of private militias and armies for individual Wazirs and Amirs (as we saw with Badr Al-Jamali and his Armenians). Whole regiments of black slave warriors or perhaps cavalry would have a name based on the office of or name of their master (Jamali's being his office). Rather than have individual units of each private army or regiment, I went with a term found in later use amongst the Mamluk Dynasty but since it's simply Arabic for "Mamluke of the Amir", it works fine here.

Mamluk Al-Khawass Al-Khalifa: "Mamluke(s) of the Khalif/Palace". The "Royal Mamluks" mentioned who numbered around I believe 10,000 on paper, of which a smaller subsection would be the Sibyan al-khass, the young guard.

Sibyan al-Khass Faris/Fawaris: "Young Guard horseman/horsemen". Because the Sibyan al-Khass seemed to include a number of troops, I added (perhaps in the wrong place) the title of cavalry/horsemen. We'll want to amend that on my troop list. They would be the only "Superheavy" cavalry for the Fatimids with horse armor.

Ajnad al-Misr ("Army of Egypt") or Al-Misr Militia (The Egyptian Militia) is slight conjecture. There's plenty on the ahdath but nothing beyond a fleeting comment of a "Cairo army" (although misr means egypt, not cairo) of indigenous militia. Considering the native Egyptians had for a long time lacked a martial spirit I imagine there really wasn't much of a militia for Egypt, save a hastily levied force in an emergency or the more common reliance on the bedouin. So these guys will really be your rabble of peasants.

Arabiyyun Muqatila: "Arabian Fighting men/Fighters" is the idea of those martial family settled/non bedouin Arabs (like Usama ibn munqidh) who were amongst the free askaris though in this case these guys are the poorer variety who can't afford a horse. There's also a lot of period artwork depicting an Arab soldier on foot with a sword or spear and shield, but it's hard to determine who or what unit they were hence the conjecture with the name. I'd like to make them a bit higher in quality, but that would entail either making it a long XP gap with the egyptian levies, adding an in between upgrade or something.

Armenian 'Qaws' - Qaws seems to mean "Bow/bowmen", and it was remarked how successful the Armenians were at archery that Qaws would serve as a synonym for Armenian. They would be unarmored but experienced archers, possibly with small circular shields.

Juyushiyya Archers - The Juyushiyya were a regiment of armenians belonging to Badr al-Jamali, who continued to exist until Saladin wiped them out. They would be mail (maybe lamellar?) armored archers with shields.

Juyushiyya Ghulams/Faris/Askars - The Juyushiyya were a regiment of armenians belonging to the Vizier Badr al-Jamali, who continued to exist until Saladin wiped them out. These would be spear and sword/mace and maybe javelin armed medium to heavy cavalry of Armenian stock.

Ahdath are fairly obvious, available only in Syrian provinces (dunno if the Fatimids held any at this point), above average militia but still militia.

Fatimid Mercenary:

Zanjii are the freeborn mercenaries from East Africa, armed with swords, javelins, shields, no armor and while impetuous are naturally fragile.

Syrian Askaris represents the professional freeborn/mamluk cavalrymen of Syria. The armies of the crusades book depicts them as sword and spear and I'd maintain that, having them be a quick but expensive way of getting good medium cavalry without having to follow the labor of upgrading from Ajnad up to Hujar/Muqta'un.

Daylami were also used as mercenaries by the Seljuks, but may have had a more appealing service with the fellow Shi'ite Fatimids.

Turcomans and Senior Turcomans are as before.

Fatimid Special:

Abid al-Shira are purchased slaves, the lowest of the low quality black slave warriors. Cheap, numerous, crappy quality.

Abid al-Tawa'if is a 'made up' name: Tawa'if is the plural of taifa, which while applied to the Iberian Kingdoms also meant class, sect, body of men/tribe or faction. Because you had a lot of regiments of Black slave warriors named after individuals (such as a high ranking black eunuch courtier named Rayhan - the Rayhaniyya, those Armenian Juyushiyya were named after Jamali's office), I needed a catch all term for them. Hence it's meant to translate as "Slaves of the factions/the regiments". Spear, javelin, shield and soft (maybe some with light mail coats) armor.

Lutat macemen represents the Fatimids use of black slave warriors who could be armed with 2 handed polearms or 2 handed maces.

Abid al-sibyan al-khass are "Slaves of the Young Guard", the elite corps of black slave warriors belonging to and guarding the Caliph. Well armored in mail coats with silvered weapons and equipment.

Fatimid Marines are marines armed with crossbows, used by the Fatimids since the 11th century.

Muttatawia and Ghazi/Ghazawat are as before.

The Bedouin, because of the proximity to the Fatimids and their inhabiting all of the Fatimid Empire are not simply mercenaries for them but rather 'part' of their roster. They would be more available than they are to other factions as mercenaries, but could be more expensive or of a lower quality (not too much lower).

Back
Top Bottom