Warband Battle Size Changer v1.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
Download it Here (v1.5)

NOTE: THIS TOOL ONLY AFFECTS THE BATTLE SIZE IN THE SINGLE PLAYER GAME, NOT MULTIPLAYER.

With this tool you can get around the game's battle size limit of 150 and instead choose up to 1000. Note that overly large battle sizes can very easily crash Warband if your computer isn't able to handle them, or at the least cause horrible slowdowns. Don't even expect to be able to have battles of size 1000 even if you have the latest and greatest hardware; that upper limit is that high to give plenty of leeway. If you experience crashes, you should lower the battle size.

This tool is packaged in an installer and will optionally create a desktop shortcut.

How to use this tool:
1. Make sure to have run Warband at least once so the configuration data files are created.
2. Make sure Warband is not running when you use this tool.
3. Run this tool, choose your desired battle size, then save and exit.
4. When you next run Warband, the desired battle size will be set (which can be confirmed on the options screen).

Changelist:
v1.5
  • update to support Warband 1.112+, since the configuration file location was changed
v1.4.1
  • properly fixed support for regions which use "," as a decimal separator; oops, previous such fix didn't quite cut it
v1.4
  • fixed support for regions which use "," as a decimal separator
  • working detection of Steam Warband installation directory
v1.3
  • initial release

This is a revision of my old Battle Size Changer for the original M&B.

EDIT: by the way, for Warband, I had to take out the lower limit battle size of 2, since it has a hardcoded lower limit of the default minimum battle size (30, at this point). So, that's the lowest you can set it. Oh well.

nice work - hope u don't mind that i listed your work in this thread, attempting to get all the mods in one place so whoever moves them to the upcoming warband mod forum will have an easier job - as well as everyone else wanting mods right now.

Warband Mod Compendium
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=103106.new#new

Very nice.
A word to the downloaders; even powerful computers may have difficulty providing all the vertices in a large battle. You should eliminate corpses so that large battles down heap up with dead bodies which the cpu still has to provide.

I was having difficulty with 150 sized battles which surprised me because I have a moderately powerful comp, but it was perfect after taking care of the body count.

I noticed that battlesizer for Warband doesnt stay on memory... have to run it every time when starting game.
Doesnt matter really, but is it on purpose?

Well it shows the correct number in game when I change the battle size using the Steam version, it just didn't auto detect the install directory which is no big deal.

StrikeQ said:
Well it shows the correct number in game when I change the battle size using the Steam version, it just didn't auto detect the install directory which is no big deal.
Hmm, I thought I had the Steam method set up correctly, but I guess not. If you don't mind, could you send me a PM with some additional info?
1. What was the correct installation path for Warband through Steam?
2. If you go to Steam's installation path (normally "C:\Program Files\Steam\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\"), check in the "appcache" folder. Is there a "app_48700.vdf" file located in there? That should be the pseudo-Registry file kept by Steam for Warband.
3. If the "app_48700.vdf" file exists, could you zip it up and send me a copy of the file by uploading it to Mediafire, MegaUpload, Rapidshare, or some other free upload service?

I think its a bit overcomplicated for something that's as simple as going into the cfg file in your AppData folder and changing a 1.000 to a 6.000, I would advise people to do that over using a 3rd party app since the game already supports this- at least this way the setting is always set at the start of play.

Mr_Cyberpunk said:
I think its a bit overcomplicated for something that's as simple as going into the cfg file in your AppData folder and changing a 1.000 to a 6.000, I would advise people to do that over using a 3rd party app since the game already supports this- at least this way the setting is always set at the start of play.
That's basically what this utility does, edit that config option. Back in the original M&B the battle size was stuck in a binary file which couldn't be edited by hand (unless you knew what bytes to edit and were handy with a hex editor). It is nice that they changed the file to a standard easily readable text format.
If you feel more comfortable editing the battle size as a number like 1.000 to 6.000 in a file in your AppData folder, either not knowing or not caring exactly what the battle size will be or just calculating it in your head (assuming you know the algorithm), that's certainly an option. The Battle Sizer simply reads that number from the file, converts it to the actual battle size you'll see in-game, and then converts it back and writes it to that file when you choose to save the battle size.

The Battle Sizer simply reads that number from the file, converts it to the actual battle size you'll see in-game, and then converts it back and writes it to that file when you choose to save the battle size.

That probably is one advantage of the mod that it can convert it into actual unit counts. But its not necessary for people to need this with warband like we did with MB1. Actually what would be real hot is for an actual in-game implementation now- just bypass the process completely. I think that would be ideal if we could pull it off this time around.. I don't recall the reason for it not being possible last time but it'd be great if the game was actually able to do what your app does via modification. Just something to think about- it definitely does annoy me that the in-game slider breaks when you change this setting, fixing that would be awesome. It would be a lot more ideal for it to work inside the game while its running as opposed to externally.

Back in the original M&B the battle size was stuck in a binary file which couldn't be edited by hand (unless you knew what bytes to edit and were handy with a hex editor).

As someone who relied on your mod for a long time I have total respect for what you've done and thankyou, don't mistake my comments as disrespectful in anyway :wink:.

Hmmm it seems that it doesn't work for me.

I changed the battle size to 150 (it was on 72) and I clicked save and exit.. But then still nothing changed..

Also you said you will be able to see it then on the option screen..

Where exactly can you find this? cause I can't find anything about battle size in the option screen..

Help would be appreciated I would like to have these big battles again :smile:

Yitue said:
I changed the battle size to 150 (it was on 72) and I clicked save and exit.. But then still nothing changed..
What do you mean "nothing changed"? When you ran the utility again, the number was reset back, or what exactly? Since you couldn't find the battle size option in-game, I guess I can assume that's not what you're talking about. Please be specific.

Yitue said:
Also you said you will be able to see it then on the option screen..

Where exactly can you find this? cause I can't find anything about battle size in the option screen..
Right there on the first options tab, "General Options". I guess you just missed it.

HolyDevil said:
i want to use this, but i have no idea how to remove corpses!  :cry:

i looked into options but nothing is there
In Options, on the "Video Options" tab as "Number of Corpses". That determines how many corpses to allow at any time before it starts removing old ones.

Janus said:
Yitue said:
What do you mean "nothing changed"? When you ran the utility again, the number was reset back, or what exactly? Since you couldn't find the battle size option in-game, I guess I can assume that's not what you're talking about. Please be specific.

I mean that the battle size in-game remained the same.

OK then, a few questions to help me pinpoint the problem.

What OS are you on, what version of Warband are you running, and is it the Steam release?

If you run the Battle Size Changer and set a battle size, then Save and Exit and run the Battle Size Changer again, is it showing the changed battle size there, or is it reset at that point?

Finally, if you set a normal acceptable battle size using the Battle Size Changer (75, 40, really anything in the range of say 31 - 149), does Warband then show this changed battle size or is it still not showing it?

Janus said:
OK then, a few questions to help me pinpoint the problem.

What OS are you on, what version of Warband are you running, and is it the Steam release?

If you run the Battle Size Changer and set a battle size, then Save and Exit and run the Battle Size Changer again, is it showing the changed battle size there, or is it reset at that point?

Finally, if you set a normal acceptable battle size using the Battle Size Changer (75, 40, really anything in the range of say 31 - 149), does Warband then show this changed battle size or is it still not showing it?

I run vista.
Yes, It is the steam release.
No, If I run battle sizer and increase it to 140 and I save and exit then I close it it changes back to 30 when I reopen it.

Very strange. If it encounters a problem (like not being able to save the file), it outputs an error message. So my best guess is that the OS is pulling some tomfoolery or other.

Hmm... do me a favor and try running this debug version at the link below, and tell me what message pops up when you click "Save and Exit".
http://www.mbrepository.com/WB_BattleSizer_debug.zip

Back
Top Bottom