Worldmap speed toggle

Users who are viewing this thread

Arkki

Sergeant
Any chanse a speed toggle for worldmap could be implemented? 9.1 - 7.6 - 4.9 = all relative numbers in that the worldmap speed could be chanced in percent (%). The thing that makes my eyes bleed is the -from time to time- snail pase of the game.
Example: Your roaming the countryside with an army, heavily dragging down the speed to say.. 5.1. Speed toggle is 0%. You scroll up the speed toggle to say 50% and everything in the world map responds accordingly. Travel speed would stay the same (5.1) but you would not have to wait such a long time for your army to get to their destination(being there 50% faster in real time).

If for some reason this already has been discussed and I havent found it in search, I apologize. If not, I dont.  :cool:

It's been suggested in the past a few times, though I don't blame you since it's quite hard to find the previous related threads. One reason being many of the mare part of a "Some Suggestions" or "My Ideas" thread which I personally wouldn't bother reading with such a title. Here is one more specific related thread:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,8755.0.html

However, I'll make this one the official one since it's well explained and move it out to the King's Court.

Must have! It'll make the chace scenes where you're trying to catch a pirate with speed 6.2 when your speed is 6.3 far less boring.
And trading will be easier!

Hugglez!
=^-^=Jerky=^-^=

This sounds like a good idea and indeed I had experimented with this some time ago. The problem is that with this option, you spend your time trying to optimize your travel speed rather than paying attention to your vicinity and as a result it made map travel less fun and less game-like. Therefore I decided against it at that time.

armagan said:
This sounds like a good idea and indeed I had experimented with this some time ago. The problem is that with this option, you spend your time trying to optimize your travel speed rather than paying attention to your vicinity and as a result it made map travel less fun and less game-like. Therefore I decided against it at that time.
What about setting it so that the game automatically accellerates when you can't see other parties, but slows down to normal when another party comes into view?

What is the hurry anyway? I just don't understand this at all. You guys must drive like maniacs when you get a motorcar.

No! Think of trading! Would be far too easy because you wouldnt have to wait. You could go so fast from city to another that you would get huge amounts of money. I did that with cheat mode :grin: Searching enemies etc. must be a little bit boring. Why would you otherwise need faster horse, spotting skill, tracking skill..

The way I understand the original post, if you increase speed %, EVERY party on the map gets an equal speed increase - that is, its not so much that you go faster, as that time passes more quickly.  Like the fastforward on a video player.

I do indeed like this idea, but like Eogan says, there needs to be an auto-reset to the standard speed whenever you 'spot' another party.  Or perhaps limited to enemy parties.   

It could in fact be limited to two speeds, which would solve the problem of looking for an optimum speed.  Picture this;

You leave Zendar, loaded with tools for Tulga.  There are no other parties visible, you click on Tulga.  Immediately, time passes at 250% 'real' speed.  You are halfway to Rivacheg when you spot a Vaegir caravan and get bounced back to 'real' speed.  After the caravan is out of sight, your speed AUTOMATICALLY increases again.

any comments?

I know that. There is a same system in RTW and it works there but not here. Read my last post. I think reasons said there are enough.

I see....  I think.  When you compared it to the cheat mode, I assumed you were envisaging a player-only acceleration.

And I agree, there have to be incentives for buying better horses, but for me, map speed is the last one.  This is anyway influenced more by the number of horses in your personal baggage than by the standard of your equipped mount.

It's not such an issue in the original M&B, but some mods have maps of 150x150 or so - effectively four times the surface area of the original.  Thats a lot of gameplay hours just watching 'Party.  Travelling to XYZ'  move across the plains.  I'm probably not alone when I say that the best bits about M&B are when the travelling ends and the action starts.

Ofcourse it is, but now it feels a lot beter (I believe) because you cant get it immediately.

I'm all for this idea, I have never tried to make money by trading because I just be bothered to wait for my party to walk all the way across the map when I could be doing better things, at the very least a way to make your party walk until they spot an enemy so that you can just click and walk away, not having to worry that you will run into someone.

As a slight shoot off of this idea...I would be perfectly happy if the only time overall time increased is when I use the "Wait" function. Traveling about the map faster would be superb, but I am also not too upset by the time it takes. However, if I need to wait in an area for a specific amount of time (using the spacebar {default wait button}) Im often bored out of my mind waiting for a day to pass. It would be great that when waiting time would speed up to even double, much like how time passes when you spend a night in a tavern or when captured at enemy towns.

bschnarr03 said:
As a slight shoot off of this idea...I would be perfectly happy if the only time overall time increased is when I use the "Wait" function. Traveling about the map faster would be superb, but I am also not too upset by the time it takes. However, if I need to wait in an area for a specific amount of time (using the spacebar {default wait button}) Im often bored out of my mind waiting for a day to pass. It would be great that when waiting time would speed up to even double, much like how time passes when you spend a night in a tavern or when captured at enemy towns.

I agree completely 100% with this post. Speeding up the game while trading would make it too easy. Waiting for say....A nobleman to show up takes forever and bores the crap out of everyone.

Did I misunderstand the suggestion or what?

You can not cheat or make the game easier with the "speed toggle" or in some other games it's called "time compression" or just simply "game speed". A few games that I remembered are: Supreme Ruler 2010, Patrician 2 and 3, Kohan: Immortal Sovereign, tactical combat of the Total War series, and some (old) fly Sims. All it does is allow player to run the game at either fast-forward speed or slow-motion speed (and of course something in between). At the fast-forward speed, it would still take you the same amount of game time to go from Zendar to the Salt Mine, but it would only take you half the real life time to watch as compared to the normal speed (now).

For me, I really like the idea. Especially, if there is increase/decrease speed button. Speed would remain the same when skipping time. Menu option item: option to pause game or reset speed to normal when hostile spotted or ignore hostile. 

Back
Top Bottom