OSP Code Combat [WIP] Auto-Firing weapons mod

Users who are viewing this thread

I need to update the code quick and then I will give it out to some coders to BETA test. So if you are an experienced coder please send me a PM to help out.

Probably not a good idea to hand it out to other scripters if it's for multiplayer.. hacks could be easily made.  :razz:

It depends, its awful on my computer in medium to large battles. Trees are less costly because they are made up of sphere and cylinder collision boxes. Anything that uses only spheres and/or cylinders is noticeably faster for collision detection.

heres my specs:
Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4Ghz
2GB DDR 400
XFX Geforce 7800 GT
Creative X-FI card

Feuerzeuge, I'll PM you the password so that you can test it.

In light of this new autofire mod I am not giving up, nor am I accepted that the other is better.

I am in need of coders to either BETA test or to help convert it for multiplayer.

Good news, feuerzeuge has created an advanced damage system for this mod. It allows for shields and armor to reduce or absorb a projectiles damage.

Also, I have redone the firing script to have improved performance with barely noticeable lag in singleplayer with 20 machine gunners on my PC. I theorize that multiplayer should have no lag at all because each player can calculate their own bullets.

On top of that, there is now near perfect collision detection with the ground, agents, props, trees, buildings, rocks, etc.

I don't need more testers now since stuff needs improved coding-wise. I hope to have a stable release within one or two weeks.

Are you planning to make soak and reduction factor a customizable stat right out of the box? Also, does the new code still support visible projectiles, and does it support puffs of dust/blood rising up on the hit locations? Methinks that would be a good visual indicator of a player's accuracy, when the white death rays are gone.

The new system supports hit position effects and visuals if it is a continuous beam/ray. You could create a visible projectile after collision detection, but it will be not be what determines a hit. I will leave the old code commented out in case someone wants to use/update it instead.

For the armor soak and reduction system I need to redo it. Using the standard M&B values if you have an armor rating of about 15 you are invincible to the shotgun. Please give me any ideas on what to use for damage reduction.

feuerzeuge said:
Are you planning to make soak and reduction factor a customizable stat right out of the box?
What do you mean by this? Currently any coder could change it.

I meant to ask whether it's included as part of the customizable stats in the item tuple. Just so you can have better or worse armour penetration for different weapons.

15 should grant a soak of 10 and a reduction of 8% of the damage after soak. So, with 30 damage, 20 after soak, 18 after reduction. You sure you (or I) got it right? It seems right. Weapons might seem underpowered if the damage doesn't start higher than average and scales down with distance.

I am double-checking the current equation with a 3d graphing utility. That is a good idea for the items, I will add a penetration and impact rating.

I think I realized the problem. I am applying the reduction on the original damage instead of damage after soak.

I fixed the the damage reduction to use the new bullet penetration and impact values. Unfortunately, it seems that the game likes to still disregard my code and set the damage to less than it should be.

Back
Top Bottom