Why is this so dead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Notice how PW has supposedly "died" after many different events in the past, stretching right back to the beginning? It is a matter of personal perspective, depending on when the person started playing. The life cycle of most "RP" focused players, observed for many generations: from wide eyed newbie, to passionate learner, to busy organiser and moderator, to respected but cynical oldbie, to grumpy old codger hardly anyone knows about anymore...  :razz:

Grumpy old codger reporting in. Everything was better back in my day, it's nostalgia a proven fact.
[quote author=Splintert]
*Waves cane*
[/quote]

NA_Nemesis(which is still in testing) has hunger implemented and also rewards for those who craft, serf, cook, etc. That should encourage people to roleplay as tavern keepers, farmers, fishermen, miners, engineers, craftsman, tailors, herdsmen, guards, etc. Have a good flowing economy. Not how it is now where there is 0 stocks of every resource, everyone is a fighting class and that is it.

Vornne said:
Notice how PW has supposedly "died" after many different events in the past, stretching right back to the beginning? It is a matter of personal perspective, depending on when the person started playing. The life cycle of most "RP" focused players, observed for many generations: from wide eyed newbie, to passionate learner, to busy organiser and moderator, to respected but cynical oldbie, to grumpy old codger hardly anyone knows about anymore...  :razz:

Ah, well let's be honest here. The PW community used to always be waiting to boil over, and i I feel players used to be more ideologically split and polarized. Seems like the sword's been completely forged by now and it's on display for everyone to admire.

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
Seems like the sword's been completely forged by now and it's on display for everyone to admire.
I disagree with that: the pervasive corruption of the game design implemented on most current servers is so bad that the mod as played now mostly disgusts me (as explained in detail over the years); but since things were gradually let to slide one by one over time, I can't really be bothered to try salvage from the mess. Essentially what remains for me is an intellectual interest in the code implementation details, not much else.

I meant that when people say some ambiguous concept is dead, they often really mean that their particular doctrine adopted when starting out is not followed by as many people anymore; generally there are other groups with their own different rules and personality cults which are then flourishing. There is probably a gradual progression over time from more styles being popular to fewer, but I think it is much slower and longer term than could appear to someone only thinking of their own small group of buddies.

Vornne said:
Suspicious Pilgrim said:
Seems like the sword's been completely forged by now and it's on display for everyone to admire.
I disagree with that: the pervasive corruption of the game design implemented on most current servers is so bad that the mod as played now mostly disgusts me (as explained in detail over the years); but since things were gradually let to slide one by one over time, I can't really be bothered to try salvage from the mess. Essentially what remains for me is an intellectual interest in the code implementation details, not much else.

I meant that when people say some ambiguous concept is dead, they often really mean that their particular doctrine adopted when starting out is not followed by as many people anymore; generally there are other groups with their own different rules and personality cults which are then flourishing. There is probably a gradual progression over time from more styles being popular to fewer, but I think it is much slower and longer term than could appear to someone only thinking of their own small group of buddies.

That's some intellectual **** right there.  :fruity: :fruity:

Vornne said:
Suspicious Pilgrim said:

Someone in the study of sociology or psychology could probably use PW as a treasure trove of material for a scholarly paper. That alone is impressive enough. It would be even better if the most recent ideologies and PW theories were supported by logical thought and archived on this forum, but unfortunately ever since Nexus everything has been entirely focused on external forums. The amount of debate going on behind the scenes was, at least in Nexus' case as I have first hand experience of it, staggering.

Sir Edwards said:
Vornne said:
Suspicious Pilgrim said:

That's some intellectual **** right there.  :fruity: :fruity:
I know! I couldn't understand any of the second paragraph but I agree wth it.

Vornne said:
Suspicious Pilgrim said:
I believe players will always strive towards making the game easier, because they think they will achieve a more entertaining experience by doing so. It's human nature. The same reason people use cheat codes until they eventually get bored due to the lack of competition and difficulty.
When someone makes their server more attractive by offering automated banks and item storage, any server without those things will seem needlessly difficult to play on by comparison. Players won't volunterily make it harder for themselves when posed with an alternative, even if they know that it will render a large part of the mod's gameplay practically nonexistent for themselves and everyone of a similar mind.

I know you've probably considered it. But if you ever decide to try salvaging the mess and releasing an update, my guess is that nothing would help more than not allowing the modification of it. Eventually forcing people to choose between a fun but more difficult experience on a newer version, or a walk in the park with the equipment they had yesterday, as well as a bank full of money, on the old one.

Just my two denarii.

I agree with Rasorath.

It's your mod, and it's giving the mod a very bad image with these scripts causing the community to be pricks. It'll be funny to see all the sad 15 year olds too.

It's easy to blame "the scripts" or "the mod" for peoples' actions, but consider that the blame is equally yours. And mine. And the next guy. Especially the next guy.  :wink:

Splintert said:
It's easy to blame "the scripts" or "the mod" for peoples' actions, but consider that the blame is equally yours. And mine. And the next guy. Especially the next guy.  :wink:
I'd rather blame the scripts and the next guy exclusively. Not the mod, and definitely not you or I.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I personally prefer playing without automated banks and item storage, while the play style adopted by the majority of today's players require it. Well, I don't really care if that's the case. Because what I do know, is that logging in with 6 million in the bank and the tin can armour you had last time you played destroys a large part of the mod's gameplay.
If people reach the end game when it comes to character progression just by connecting, you will eventually end up with a map full of people who are bored. Because it has rendered grinding useless until one eventually runs out of money, which doesn't take long to stack up again when banks keep your valuables safe.

There used to be players who didn't like to grind for their money and prefered to fight for their equipment using a rusty sword they picked up from the ground, like most of our old in-game clique. But now, in some ways, everyone has become like us. With the exception that they can buy themselves greatswords and heavy armour right off the bat, and they aren't fighting for equipment and gold because it's practically without value to them. Even the ones who would spend time mining or cutting wood for a large part of their time in-game has to find other ways to entertain themselves now, because grinding isn't entertaining when they don't need to do it.

As a result, people who used to group up with rusty swords and old knives to fight their way to better equipment, and then die a couple times with the equipment they've looted before retiring for the night, no longer has any place here. Those who liked to challenge themselves in other ways, like by grinding for gold, has lost any reason for playing any longer as well. What we're left with is a group of people who are content with fighting, dying, and gearing up again until they grow bored of the repetitive gameplay.

I'm not to blame, you're not to blame and the mod isn't to blame. Blaming the next guy probably isn't fair either. But giving "the scrips" credit for creating this mess, I don't think that would be uncalled for.

If I were given a time machine by my future self and he told me that I must go back in time and kill Bill Gates at birth and he (myself) then collapsed and died, I think I would just go back to when the RCC server existed and experience it.

True story.

Back
Top Bottom