Which leveling system do you prefer Warband or Bannerlord?

Which has the better leveling system?

• Warband

• Bannerlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I am confused.

If the current system gets optimized and doesn't feel grindy anymore, will you all like it?

Or do you prefer to have your character become a master trader simply because he killed 100 looters? Because that's what the old system was. Sure, it was WORKING, but it wasn't GOOD in my opinion.

A GOOD system for me is a system that rewards me only if I try. Finding good trade deals and making profit makes me better at trading, and that makes me happy.

I am sorry but I don't want to have a lvl 40 godlike character that is the best fighter, commander, pathfinder, surgeon, engineer and trader in all of Calradia. This kills all the fun. If this happens, I want it to happen because I actually tried to learn all these things.

The new system needs MUCH improvement and optimization to decrease grinding and make skills matter, but its philosophy is better for me.

I definately love killing looters and becoming able to smith instead of having to craft 1000 useless swords with a forced 'sit around' period.

There are two parts here people interlink - unnessecarily so.
1) what gives XP - XP for trading/crafting/whatnot is imo a great idea and should be done.
2) Skills specific XP - in trading skill can only be earned by trading.

Now skill specific XP is a big hinderance often enough. You can't bypass levels where the skill sucks. Devs have to give enough options for each skill to actually level said skill and need to design the whole game around that (which so far Taleworld has failed to do).
Or to put it differently - i much prefer bashing the heads in because of the core game loop and then invest said XP into Smithing, than smithing 10.000 daggers to become able to actually design a weapon i'd like to design. So far i can't even judge the smithing system and if it's worth it, beause i haven't reached even 75 points in it.

I hate it too. So unrewarding, so limited, so irrelevant. One of the things that is stealing all the fun from me. But hey, it is EA. So I still have the hope.

Horse Arching is the way to go. 40m hits stationary on a horse against any opponent will give you up to +3 skill for Riding. With full focus that is, I managed to get to 105 Riding and 95 Archery with 20 engagements against groups of 4-6 Looters. Pretty sure headshots and neck shots have a slight bonus to XP, as well.
Polearms are reasonably fast to level on horse, too, yet here Riding seems to not scale as well accordingly. I suspect that skill increases on these rely on speed, damage dealt (raw I hope) and body part hit. Also range for archery. However it does not scale well. Stationary on horse with long range shots, will give way more riding XP than Archery XP. Moving on Horse fast and shooting targets 10m away will grant more Archery skill than riding skill (albeit the difference is not as much).
I still go up by +2 riding when engaging 4-6 Looters.
The level system works, it is not fine-tuned though. Also I believe they should either scrap attributes all together or make them increase by doing stuff in these fields.
Also levelcaps shouldn't exist and the skill prerequisites for a level should be more like +2 or +3 instead of +5. That way the min-maxers can get all perks, and Roleplay dudes can have a character representative of their actions. The way it is now, the optimal way is to put all focus into 2-4 disciplines to maximise level gain.

Polearms couched lance does level riding ok (not as fast as polearm though). A couched lance hit deals like 200-1200(yes!) damage. But achieving 100 riding skill takes decades. I guess leveling as horse archer is the way.

Sometimes I wish games used leveling systems like in Kenshi, as it's incredibly fun and rewarding to start weak in that game and become better, due to every action that you take helping you... even if you fail. The way you get tougher in Kenshi is to get knocked out often but keep coming back for more, increasing your Toughness stat.

I wouldn't mind if attribute points were removed from level ups and were simply received for succeedding AND failing to perform certain actions. Like an XP bar that isn't tied to levels but keeps filling until you are given a free attribute point (or a corresponding attribute increase by itself based on what you are doing). That way, leveling up only carries the bonus of getting focus points, which I think is reward enough, and you'll never be hard-capped.

SO there really is a hard cap past the red? I had a glimmer of hope when I saw I could still get exp on some skills that we at the red, but if they stop eventually, that's too bad. Of course I'm hoping for a full revamp anyways. I think FP should just help you learn faster, not learning limits though. And it might be nice to have 2 modes for differant types of skills. FP for active skills that you actually do like combat, trade, smithing.... and some other 'knowlege/study" point that you get that just give you the ability to do something useful like SURGERY or engineering.

Btw we need real surgery, I haven't played M&B without rushing max surgery in years and now I remember why.

Bannerlords is better but needs some work. First they need to get all the perks working, they also need to increase the amount of attribute points we're given (do they actually increase anything other than skill leveling rate btw?), and they also need to clean up the perk lists a little bit, 5% raiding speed in the Two-hander skill tree? Come on.

Yeah, I hope that the leveling system gets significant reworking. I like the idea of being able to train skills past the cap, albeit very slowly. And I haven't gotten anywhere near level 24 yet but I hope we can get higher than that in future updates!

I used CharacterTrainer mod from nexusmods. Character is currently level 39. But most of the perks are not working. Like example, A perk in Steward level 250 gives +1 Companion for every city you own. I own half the map and i still can only get my clan level limit.

So i don't think they want to to reach it. Since it's not working yet.

Another Example: Roguery level 275 Merry men. You can recruit bandits instead of attacking them. That isn't working yet either.

If it takes more and more skill increases to level up each time, why on earth do you learn skills slower as your skills increase? It seems to me that they should pick one: either make levels take increasing numbers of skill increases, OR gradually slow down the rate at which you learn skills as they get higher.

I hate this system. It's garbage. There should be no focus points or attribute points; it is nonsensical to level up one handed faster than two handed when doing the exact same thing - hitting someone with a weapon - just because you've allocated an imaginary point towards the abstract notion of one handedness.

It is unfortunate, but M&B had a much better system. On the skill cap however, I have also observed that I can progress over the limit. For instance my trade skill has a limit of 50, and now I am at 54. Maybe it is just a bug? :grin:

Level difficulty:

Easy: Stewardship (different food)

Normal: Weapons, Rougery (pillaging villages)

Possible: Horse, Healer(but useless), Smith(stamina), athletics, Engineering, Leadership(clan lvl2), Tactics

Impossible: Charm

You can level Charm relatively easily by defeating enemy lords and release them, I've seen - off the top of my head - a skill gain after releasing every couple of lords.

I'm pretty sure you can learn past the learning limit and its.just slow.

yep you can but at a slower rate and thing is when you lvl up your base skill gain rate beginns to slow down from 1.43 at lvl 1 to around =0.84 at lvl 14 didnt get higher cause map was conquert by this time

I now own two nice warhorses (and a camel) that I won in tournaments. They all require 90 riding skill. My character will most likely die of old age before he ever has the riding skill to use them. Getting skill on polearms seems to work okay. Getting skill in riding, not so much.
Don't worry the game will end with one empire controlling the map before your character hits 40 (likely by 35)

The easiest way to fix this.... is just to remove the hard cap and let skills increase to the maximum at .5 rate. Not exactly complicated. How in the hell TW hasnt' figured this out is beyond me.

I mean with how slowly skills increase past the 100 mark even with 5x focus and attribute investment... it's not exactly a balance issue... damn characters still going to die of old age long before anyone can max skills.

It is really weird that charm doesn't level up from attempting and passing persuasion checks. My merc spent the early game mostly negotiating blood feuds and convincing wayward maidens to return to their fathers. Somehow this career as a negotiator didn't make him any more persuasive.
Hey! This is a bug that will be fixed in the upcoming patches. Also successful bartering will give some charm xp as well.

Thanks for the update.

It's funny how many people don't understand the definition of Early Access

They just need to be patient, I really appreciate this daily updates. Even one of my reports was fixed yesterday!
And we all have to remember. There is a pandemic going on and everyone is working at home. And they are still releasing daily updates. Which is pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom