When do you think they will really properly start 'scene-ing' the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I know they have added like 5 new villages recently, but I'm so sick of each culture having one tavern!

I crave more buildings

I thought I read once that they had plans to make every castle in the game utterly unique.... but I now get the feeling maybe I was just hallucinating? Was it just me?

(The answer "Soon" is not allowed and will get you a slap with a large wet fish across the face!)

Last edited:
They definitely did say that, and it seems like a massive undertaking considering it's said to take 2-4 weeks or more for a single siege scene. I don't know if they said anything about unique taverns, but now you've mentioned it that'd be great and could do a lot more to sell the cultural differences than just individual towns.

They definitely did say that, and it seems like a massive undertaking considering it's said to take 2-4 weeks or more for a single siege scene. I don't know if they said anything about unique taverns, but now you've mentioned it that'd be great and could do a lot more to sell the cultural differences than just individual towns.
1 siege map is in reality 3 siege maps if you dont include seasonal changes. The mapping in this game is a massive undertaking.

trubadix_814042.jpg

The problem with things like unique tavern scenes is that the developers know a large number of players will never actually enter the taverns. With 'quick talk' added, you barely have to enter the towns. I think this is something that legitimately could be left to modders; those who are interested can download it, those who aren't - don't.

I know they have added like 5 new villages recently, but I'm so sick of each culture having one tavern!

I crave more buildings

I thought I read once that they had plans to make every castle in the game utterly unique.... but I now get the feeling maybe I was just hallucinating? Was it just me?

(The answer "Soon" is not allowed and will get you a slap with a large wet fish across the face!)

They definitely said there would be unique scenes for each siege. I really hope this completed eventually as it was the thing that kept me playing Warband until i conquered the map. Just the joy of sieging a new castle I hadn't seen before. Especially those that are based on real castles - so awesome.

The problem with things like unique tavern scenes is that the developers know a large number of players will never actually enter the taverns. With 'quick talk' added, you barely have to enter the towns. I think this is something that legitimately could be left to modders; those who are interested can download it, those who aren't - don't.
Agree with this. Seems everything is being stripped for more convenience and taking away the M&B experience

I crave more buildings

soon™

(mine has the ™, so I demand a slap with a wale to the face)

I'm sure there wont just be ONE tavern scene for every city in each culture. That would be TRULY awful. Especially for a game in 2020.

I was thinking more along the lines of at least just one different styled tavern for each different culture, but of course a few more for variation would always help. Forgive me if that's already in, it's been a while since I played.

There's nothing to do in any of the town scenes anyway, not sure why people are worried about taverns.

For me, taverns are at the heart of the game. They're important for roleplaying, a place where you recruit and meet new people, they give an impression of the town in which they sit.... and its culture. Of course towns in general need work, no one would disagree with that.

On a side note... personally I really do hate the 'quick talk' facility... I would like an option to turn it off so that I have a reason to enter towns and walk around and talk to people. But then I am a big fan of the RPG elements of the game.

There's nothing to do in any of the town scenes anyway, not sure why people are worried about taverns.
I think that should get rectified to be honest. I've always found the scenes in WB to be exceptionally useless, just extra pointless loading times. Hopefully in the end BL turns out differently.

I think that disconnect between scene and map has been an issue in warband and basically this format of the game. It's hard to find that balance. On on hand I'd love to have towns and scenes as detailed as an RPG game like say kingodom come deliverance. On the other hand in WB/BL it can be frustrating to walk through a bland town to locate a village elder or someone when you need to have a 1 second exchange with them.

I think in a way this game fights with itself. Are you the guy on the map view menuing your way to success, or are you a person in the world and the world is more than text descriptions? I think the thing is just the way gameplay systems are designed right now, you fly around to towns and treat them like skill hits as you would in another game.

For example the, "I want a bigger/ better armry", you are ping ponging around to the town and looking for recruits. Because you only get a few troops here or there per town, you are required to ride to multiple towns and interact for half a second. It's not an interesting interaction in itself, and loading into the map feels like a chore because you only have 5 seconds of non decision making interaction before leaving it. If you had to spend 5 minutes in town, and had meaningful gameplay there, it would not feel like a chore.

So many systems though lend to, stop by a town check/refill on 'stuff' and go look in the next town. They are clicking waystations and don't provide much other type of gameplay and hence, not really a drive to have elaborate scenes, despite having an engine that is capable of showing them.

I think that disconnect between scene and map has been an issue in warband and basically this format of the game. It's hard to find that balance. On on hand I'd love to have towns and scenes as detailed as an RPG game like say kingodom come deliverance. On the other hand in WB/BL it can be frustrating to walk through a bland town to locate a village elder or someone when you need to have a 1 second exchange with them.

I think in a way this game fights with itself. Are you the guy on the map view menuing your way to success, or are you a person in the world and the world is more than text descriptions? I think the thing is just the way gameplay systems are designed right now, you fly around to towns and treat them like skill hits as you would in another game.

For example the, "I want a bigger/ better armry", you are ping ponging around to the town and looking for recruits. Because you only get a few troops here or there per town, you are required to ride to multiple towns and interact for half a second. It's not an interesting interaction in itself, and loading into the map feels like a chore because you only have 5 seconds of non decision making interaction before leaving it. If you had to spend 5 minutes in town, and had meaningful gameplay there, it would not feel like a chore.

So many systems though lend to, stop by a town check/refill on 'stuff' and go look in the next town. They are clicking waystations and don't provide much other type of gameplay and hence, not really a drive to have elaborate scenes, despite having an engine that is capable of showing them.

This is very true and well put.

The beauty of Mount and Blade has always been that it's always tried to be both of those things..... and in previous M+B games, TaleWorlds managed it fairly well. The challenge is that BannerLord, to really be a worthy successor, needs to do the same (be a cohesive strategy level game AND a reasonably detailed town / battlefield game as well). (With good RPG elements)

For BannerLord to really be a success it needs to actually be better in both aspects than Warband or Viking Conquest.

The progress towards that so far has seemed quite limited, I think that's why a lot of people are getting nervous and twitchy... which we can see and feel here on the forums.

Personally, I am pleased that the settlements are proposed by scenes configured in detail in a meticulous way; just as they have done and despite the fact that it takes more work. The pity is that all that work behind each scene is " skipped " due to the lack of possibilities with the pc-npc-dynamic-scene interaction.

On the other hand I don't like that the concept of scene creation has been transferred to the open field battle scenes (tile-biome). I'm not advocating a return to the genesis of steep hills where gravity was challenged as we had in Warband, but rather in a semi-procedural system that is totally feasible in these times. This kind of terrain genesys system would favour (or would have favoured imo) a much more random playable experience without the current "déjà vu battles".

Personally, I am pleased that the settlements are proposed by scenes configured in detail in a meticulous way; just as they have done and despite the fact that it takes more work. The pity is that all that work behind each scene is " skipped " due to the lack of possibilities with the pc-npc-dynamic-scene interaction.

On the other hand I don't like that the concept of scene creation has been transferred to the open field battle scenes (tile-biome). I'm not advocating a return to the genesis of steep hills where gravity was challenged as we had in Warband, but rather in a semi-procedural system that is totally feasible in these times. This kind of terrain genesys system would favour (or would have favoured imo) a much more random playable experience without the current "déjà vu battles".

Totally agree with returning randomly generating maps. I was surprised when Taleworlds confirmed in a dev blog long ago that randomly generated maps were not in the game. Especially when they were a solid part of the NW MP experience. Add in battle mode, customer servers and randomly generated maps and I feel like multiplayer will revive somewhat.

I remember reading an old blog post interview with one of the sceners who said it takes them around 2 weeks to make each scene, and that really worried me. Think of how many towns and villages are on the map, and if it takes them 2 weeks to make each one, its gonna be a pretty long time before they have unique scenes for every location. How much harder will it be for modders, if the actual developers who built the game engine take that long?

I remember reading an old blog post interview with one of the sceners who said it takes them around 2 weeks to make each scene, and that really worried me. Think of how many towns and villages are on the map, and if it takes them 2 weeks to make each one, its gonna be a pretty long time before they have unique scenes for every location. How much harder will it be for modders, if the actual developers who built the game engine take that long?

If you read the modder's guide, in there it says it takes them ~3 weeks to do an entire settlement which includes 3 scenes. I'm assuming those 3 are the siege battle, the village "walk-around" and the keep. Not sure about the dungeon or how that plays in. But it's possible the 3 scenes could be the seasonal for all the maps too. So I'm thinking an individual village map is probably 1/3 of that time.

Back
Top Bottom