What monitors and graphics card do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
Bought my computer in early 2013.  Didn't have a clue about graphics cards until recently.  Bought a 40" uhd and now I realize the limitations of my graphics card.  To think I was stuck with 1650 x ...1200 for such a long time.  Now I use that slightly higher 2160 x..  1440. 

Also on occasion I use my old 32" 1650 as a secondary monitor.  This has been fun so far.

How is your set up?

A 40 inch computer monitor? That must've cost a fortune.

I'm rocking a brand new Acer 27" 2560x1440 monitor with an AMD R9 290. Runs most things well, but definitely starting to struggle to maintain 60 on all games. Will be using the old 1080p as a secondary for whatever people use secondary monitors for.

Graphics Cards: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (512MB) + NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (512MB)
Monitors: Primary: 23" Acer X233H (1920×1080), Secondary: 17" Acer AL1715 (1280×1024), Tertiary: 19" Acer AL1916 (1280x1024)
23" is connected to GTS250, other two to 8500GT.

Nothing runs smoothly!

(Anyone have extra gfx cards laying about by any chance?)

Well, its a Sharp tv.... 

Just don't love GTA V enough to bother upgrading.  BUt I think I should do some maintenance, I think its been 2 years and I haven't dusted the interior yet.  Wonder how often you're supposed to do this....

Geforce GTX 980 Ti with some old BenQ 24" 1920x1080 monitor. Though it can do 120Hz and supports nvidia 3dvision, which can look nice in those few games that support it.
Might save up for a nice 34" 21:9 monitor...except they're stupidly expensive. It would go together with an Oculus Rift when that comes out.

J said:
(Anyone have extra gfx cards laying about by any chance?)
I had 2 geforce gtx 680 cards lying around that I practically gave away for free a few months ago as nobody wanted to buy them. If I had known the situation up north was so dire....

I'm new to computer building and don't know much about computers except that the better graphics the better games you can play.
Had a friend recommend me these items.
I was curious how ya'll think about it.
Any recommendations or advice will be very appreciated.

1 x AZZA Solano 1000 Black Japanese SECC Steel/Meta
1 x ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 88W BX80646I54690K
1 x WD Purple 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
1 x RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI
1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-1996-KR 6GB HYBRID GAMING

And the monitor I got is a Dell S2716DG 27" Quad HD LED Monitor 2560x1440 @ 144Hz TN Anti-glare with 3H Hardness

All these parts are waiting for me back home. I'm in no rush to get something else.
Still looking for a good keyboard and mouse.

Thank you in advance for your time, very appreciated.

You have pretty much the best graphics device there is right now, and approximately the same for CPU. No improvement necessary.

You could, if you have time and patience, wait for Nvidia/AMDs next generation of cards as they will be 16nm manufacturing process (smaller transistors) which means less power usage. They will also implement 3d memory for rather large amounts of it, 32GB on the highest tier of cards. That said, they'll probably be 25% better than current cards at best, so it might not be worth the wait for you.

Well that's good to hear about my graphics card.
And sorry for the noob-ish question but what exactly is the cpu? The motherboard?

And what are your thoughts on DDR3 vs DDR4. My friend was telling me very general things how DDR4 is still new or something and that DDR3 still gets the job done.

I also don't know much about monitors, did as much research as I could and read that 27" 2560x1440 @ 144Hz TN is the best for gaming?
That's another thing I forgot to say was that my build is for gaming...
Something about how there is IPS and TN something with monitors, not sure what those are. And how there is a IPS cult of people and TN is apparently the best for gaming.

Thanks again for the help.

Maybe you should create your own thread for that?
The CPU is your main processor, the Intel i5 4690k. It's an older generation but still very good. And yes, DDR3 "gets the job done".
Have you already bought your components? There's still some room for improvement price/performance-wise. Also, PLEASE get a better power supply!

I was thinking about doing that but then I saw this thread and thought it would be a good place to talk about such things.

Yes I already bought everything that I mentioned.
If there's more room for improvement please tell me what I need to do.
And what's up with the power supply? Is it not enough?
Thank you for the knowledge.

It's an off-brand, and for something that is the single point of failure for your entire system, you want it to be reliable. You don't need more wattage, you should just invest in a proper brand like Cooloermaster, Corsair, or Thermaltake. You wouldn't want to buy something that technically meets spec but explodes in a month because it was made with ****ty hardware.

Your i5-4690k only supports DDR3, so that choice is made for you. It won't impact performance at all.

Biggest things to look for on monitors, in order of approximate importance are:
Resolution. More pixels = sharper picture, at the cost of more processing power to get higher framerates in games.

Refresh rate. This represents the highest framerate your monitor can display. Higher is better.

Latency. Lower latency gives less 'ghosting', an effect where pixels change color slowly so you see a black or white 'ghost' effect when moving fast.

Color quality. Higher is better. Hard to compare because each manufacturer has different standards.

'Features'. Don't buy a monitor because it has "super awesome amazing color aauto-adjustment for superior gaming experience". It doesn't.

That's what I meant, thanks Splintert.

PSUs are a difficult matter, because most brands don't have their own production facilities. So, even renowned brands like Coolermaster or Corsair offer some bad PSUs. I'm also no expert in any way, but I can repost a few recommendations I read quite often:

Antec "True Power Classic" or "Edge" series
Bequiet "Straight Power" or "Dark Power Pro series"
CoolerMaster VS or V series
EVGA SuperNova G2
Seasonic G series
SuperFlower "Golden Green HX" or "Leadex Gold/Platinum" series (SuperFlower was once known for producing cheap and unsafe PSU, but is supposed to be quite good, now.)

Over here, those range from 80 to 110€ in price, but for such high-performance components as you have, I wouldn't want to save on the PSU, which is basically the only thing that can destroy your whole PC is something goes wrong.

For a single-GPU-rig such as yours, even with a 980ti, 500-550W should be enough.

Best time to get a new tv...

Jan 21st 2012  |
http://www.economist.com/node/21543215
Flat screens are everywhere, but no one earns money making them

May 16th 2015
http://www.economist.com/news/business/21651266-troubles-two-big-firms-show-how-far-corporate-reform-still-has-go-sharp-end

The troubles of two big firms show how far corporate reform still has to go

EUPHORIA has recently broken out over a supposed new dawn of better corporate governance and higher profits for Japanese industry. But bad news this week from Sharp, a firm once a symbol of the country’s economic clout, and Toshiba, another engineering giant, were reminders of how incomplete the transformation is.

2x AOC IPS 23inch monitors - 1920x1080
AMD R9 390 8GB Overclocked
i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz

Pretty much everything runs 60fps or more, which is why I'm hesitant to make the shift to any higher of a res, because that'll change quick.

The above is my main gaming PC, but I built a second one a week ago for the lounge room...

Mini-ITX
AMD A8 7600 which turbos @ 3.8GHz
AMD R7 370 2GB
50inch Panasonic 1080p TV

The above build is really cool. A couple pics for ya -
RcOO5.png

J said:
But but but this thread is just for monitors and GFX cards. Full specs go into the Your Comp Specs thread. :razz:

Fair point. But those are my two main screen + gpu configs. I mentioned the CPUs for a reason though, just happens that I forgot to say what the reason was. Basically I learnt that AMD APUs have muuuuch better integrated graphics than intel CPUs and are cheaper too. They're a good choice for cheap little entertainment units.

I wish they would put them in laptops. I spent a year digging for a quality AMD-based budget laptop and couldn't come up with anything worthwhile. Had to settle with an i3, which is fine, but leaves little room for lightweight mobile gaming. Although some games run impressively well, like Dragon's Dogma and Wargame: ALB.

Back
Top Bottom