What is your favourite RPG?

Users who are viewing this thread

i think the rpg i most got engrossed in and played for a very very long time would be arcanum. man that was good :grin:

fallout 2 was brilliant, too, but i played it too late (after i got morrowind etc) so the 640x480 resolution and whatnot was a bit much for my visually spoilt eyes, so i found it hard to get into, i know that's shallow but the transition backwards can be very hard.

morrowind is brilliance. oblivion will be brilliance in a year or 2 with mods.

I'm fairly sure Fallout 2 went up to 800x600, if not the full 1024x960.

Much as I loved Fallout 2, I think Arcanum was the better game. Probably because it was later - there were a number of ideas in fallout that finally saw fruition in Arcanum. I guess we'll never know how far they would have went (although I'm sure Bethesda's efforts will be worthwhile).

And the dialogue with Virgil at the start if your character had low intelligence was hilarious.

it didnt, man, sorry. fallout 2 only had 640x480, or MAYBE 800x600, but i doubt it.

there was a program that definately let you change the resolution, but not only did it **** up the HUD bigtime, it let you see 'beyond' the borders of areas so you had this immersion killing ugly-errors along the border of each area, when in resolutions above default.

manboy86 said:
it didnt, man, sorry. fallout 2 only had 640x480, or MAYBE 800x600, but i doubt it.

It definitely supported 800x600,  I'm fairly certain Fallout 2 supported 1024 too, though I'm not 100% sure (it might have been added in the patch, now I come to think of it).

Recently replayed FO2 and it definately did not have 1024 support for me. And it was patched.

Still, bloody great game.

When it comes down to RPG's the one thing that should be developed most is character development and interactions, that's why games like planescape, baldurs gate and icewind dale stand tall and make it on the high lists fo rme :smile:

other games however that i seriously enjoy are

Gothic 1 and 2 (2 is better although i can barely remember 1  now) A dark fantasy world, but a very smooth game
elderscrolls (just plain addiction and fun)
Dungeon siege 2 (dungeon siege 1 is rubbish compared to the more story aligned 2)
Neverwinter Nights (never has a game such as NWN provided me with a constant two years of entertainment where it was the only game i played)

Generally I appreciate RPGs that allow me to specialize my character with different stats, and have a great replay value. Oddly enough my favourites (the Gothics) sort of violate this, but they have other redeeming points:smile: In order of enjoyment

Gothic 1 (for the story, world, and NPCS)
Gothic 2 with addon
Morrowind (for its replay value)
Baldurs Gate 2 with addon (for the NPCs and replay value)
BG1
Realms of Arkania Blade of Destiny (for the cool setting and ridiculously elaborate skill system)
Darklands (for a "realistic" environment and a neat skill system)
Icewind Dale (for multiplayer hack n slash, its not much of an RPG)
IWD 2 (as IWD1)
The Goldbox games of old, particularly the Krynn trilogy (for nostalgia, but they are still fairly playable, its just unfortunate that non-humans suck in most of them).

Also played Might and Magic III, VI, VII, and VIII quite extensively, but they are only really fun for developing characters and skills. Pretty crappy RPGS. Never got into the Fallouts or Arcanum as I couldnt take the combat system (which saddens me as especially Arcanum has a very cool setting) and the weird levelling of party members. Oblivion wasnt my cup of tea at all. Some old SSI games (Darksun?) were fun-ish but had poor interfaces. Eye of the beholder aged pretty badly (and this is from an old school gamer) but was fun for its time. Darklands also aged pretty badly even if it was superb back in -96.

It's sad that there are so few RPGs that a top 10 list covers half of the ones I've played:sad:

Back
Top Bottom