What is a really good fiction series...?

Users who are viewing this thread

A Song Of Ice And Fire. Greatest fantasy series ever written, bar none. It should also satisfy your historical fiction urge somewhat, as the books are quite plausible for fantasy.

read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it

Aw man, now if I ever want to check it out, I won't be able to give it a fair chance, because of the bitterness I'll associate with it.

While I'm going to check out both of those, I'll go for Black Company first, I think. Because many compare it to Malazan Book of the Fallen. Which is the best series of books ever. :razz:

Its pretty much a given Bernard Cornwell is a ****ing amazing author; I think we should try and throw some "lesser known" guys in.

Also Family: Anything specific you are looking for? Easier to reccomend different series with a more narrow view to sift through.

Dryvus said:
A Song Of Ice And Fire. Greatest fantasy series ever written, bar none. It should also satisfy your historical fiction urge somewhat, as the books are quite plausible for fantasy.

read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it

I support this whole heartedly, as well as Flashman.

And since you mentioned Flashman, the Coward books that James Delingpole has written are pure ****ing gold. Coward At The Beach, and Coward At The Bridge. I believe Delingpole stated Flashman was a part of his inspiration to write this.

I've only read The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe.
well written but also hard work (not light reading at all)

and while I am posting, I'll recommend The Sunset Warrior series by Eric Van Lustbader

The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell (John G. Hemry) and Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.

Military science fiction.

The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss and all books by Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm. All awesomeskies! I do not care to eloborate. Tirednessesses  :sad:

+1 for the Name of the Wind.  Bloody brilliant book, and I'm hanging out to read the sequel - due in March, I believe.

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, whilst fantasy, like most of his books, are inspired by historical periods - in this case, medieval Italy, I guess.  Actually, he's a fantastic writer, just read anything of his and you'll be happy.  But Tigana is the best of 'em.

Was it Katherine Kerr who wrote that book about the half-faerie Crusader?  Again, lots of historical research went into a good fantasy novel.  Anyone help out with a name - it's been like 15 years since I read it!

:razz:
It seems to be praised almost universally, I was just wondering if people around the same age as me who have read many of the same books/series that I have had anything good to say about it.

Back
Top Bottom