What is a really good fiction series...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Familyguy1

Sergeant Knight
More in tune with Historical fiction than anything, but Ill take ones that are good too.

I have read Conn Igguelden and his stuff....

but would like to know of others out there that are good too...

Dies the Fire isn't really historical, per se, but it is in a medieval setting, in this world. Basically a big ole flash of light shuts down all electronic, motor, and gunpowder devices around the modern day, and the people have to rebuild a medievalish society. It's a fun series.

Evilknightz said:
Master and Commander

Very boring. If one was to look for a naval combat fiction series, they should check out the author Dewey Lambdin.

If you are interested in Roman stuff, Familyguy, then check out Steven Saylor's "Roma Sub Rosa" series. Its a mystery series that takes place in ancient Rome. I never thought I would be interested in mystery books, but these were damn good and entertaining.

Familyguy1 said:
That was a damn good movie too  :wink:
The movie tries to compress the first ten books into a two hour film. The books however are much better :razz:

Facemelter said:
Very boring. If one was to look for a naval combat fiction series, they should check out the author Dewey Lambdin.
Depends on what you're looking for. O'Brien wrote what is basically a dramatisation of actual events so it's pretty straight lace historical fiction, as the famous description goes, it's what Jane Austen would have written had she been a Royal Marine. Lambdin is writing more generic action fiction with the 19th century simply used as a setting, it's basically Andy McNabb does Waterloo albeit with a sense of humour.

In terms of historical fiction it really depends on what you're after. Hornblower By C.S. Forrester is naval fiction, a little less dry than O'Brien. It's what inspired both Sharpe and Star Trek, funnily enough. Flashman by Fraser on the other hand is an absolute riot. And of course there's always Sharpe.

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Diffrent from most of his work, it focuses on a Post Apocalyptic theme. Not what you'll expect, but still has what you'd expect of a Post Apoc theme as well.

Enjoy.

I have been deciding whether to get into King or not, but I think Ill give in and give it a read..... Ive never actually read any of his stuff...just saw some of the movies....like that clown one..

Archonsod said:
Flashman by Fraser on the other hand is an absolute riot.
plus 1 on that

for WW2 I would recommend Spike Milligan's War Memoirs starting with Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall (followed by Rommel, Gunner Who?; Monty, His Part In My Victory; Mussolini, His Part In My Downfall; Where Have All The Bullets Gone?; Goodbye Soldier and finishing with Peace Work).
probably one of the most honest accounts of life as a gunner in the Royal Artillery.
funny and moving at the same time.

For historical fiction I would recommend the Brethren Trilogy by Robyn Young, it's about a secret group in the Templar order, but not a Dan Brown-esque one.

Yeah, Sharpe is good. The Warlord Chronicles by Cornwell are very good as well, easily my favorite series.

The Night Angel trilogy is quite goos as well, though if you're looking for historical fiction, maybe the first book, until they start using magic near the end. Theres also an entertaining mash-up of real world natons. A Teutonic Order style force, a Japanese style nation, Mongols, and there's a nation that reminds me of Russia for some reason, though with more foot troops instead of mounted armies.

Back
Top Bottom