What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II ; vanilla, Chaos Rising and Retribution.

Gotta say I like the pseudo Company of Heroes style a lot more over the more traditional RTS of the original Dawn of War. Now Space Marines truly feel like badass killing machines, even outnumbered.

I watched Band of brothers and had to reinstall Hidden & Dangerous 2. Unfortunately the AI is so ridiculously ****ty and the movement is so clunky that it turned me off of it and I quit after the first mission.

CK2: Large empire that I'm getting tired of. Some ancestors being listed as sacrificed to pagans. Good job Paradox.

TF2: Played hoodoo. Old glitch where the cart advances by itself. Good job Valve.

Warband: SP new start, got a bounty, moved around town and game crashed. Good job Tale Worlds.

NWN SOU. The last time I finished the game, it was using an imported epic character from the original campaign (which lead to crazy things like just waltzing into Tymofarrar's lair and beat him up in a straight-up fight), so I had no idea it was that. freaking. hard. (And yes, for the longest time ever I thought the Hero of Neverwinter and the Student of Drogan were the same guy. Silly me.)

Beat SOU with a pally. Long time since I played it, the only hard battle I remember is a glowing ball. Played it solo cos' I didn't like the limited party system. Brought Deekin along and left him out of fights.

A pity the plot has nothing to do with the M&M/HoMM universe.

A pity Ubisoft ruined the franchise. Even if they firebombed Erathia to oblivion, Axeoth >>>> Ashan. The former is basically medieval fantasy Fallout, enough said.

Erathia was the best, though that might be the nostalgia speaking.

Also, it made me surprised as **** when I learned that the Infernos are supposed to be super-futuristic people or something (as evidenced by the laser gun thing in MaM VI, I believe.)

McBeverage said:

Also, it made me surprised as **** when I learned that the Infernos are supposed to be super-futuristic people or something (as evidenced by the laser gun thing in MaM VI, I believe.)
It really was. Everything started going downhill after HoMM 3.

Really? I can't remember any laser gun in there.

McBeverage said:

Basically,

The universe was "seeded" and/or colonized some many thousand years before the games by an extremely advanced human civilization called the "Ancients", who connected their holdings with a multitude of warp gates. In comes the Kreegans, the devils/demon as people from Erathia/Enroth call them, a kind of alien that literally cannot help jumping from one world to the next and sucking everywhere they go dry of resources because of their extremely rapid breeding. A war broke out, the Ancients were wrecked, connection with their outlying colonies broken as the Kreegans trashed the warp gate system. These worlds, without the precursors to guide them, rapidly fall into barbarism and a stereotypical medieval fantasy world is what Erathia became after one/a couple thousand years of forgetting the Ancients exist.

At the end of M&M VII, if you follow the path of Light you'll help Resurrectra, one of the Ancients crash-landing on Erathia on a spaceship conveniently called the Lincoln, to reboot the warp gate system and enabling traveling from world to world. Judging from the closing lines ("Where do we go from here?" "Oh, anywhere you wish! Maybe, one day, you'll even come across the Ancients' world yourselves" - Not exact quote) however, it's considered to be more or less impossible to get back to the Ancients' world even with that.

Of course there's a ton of inconsistencies even if you're to buy the sci-fi plot, mostly to do with the nature of magic and the gods, or where did the elves/dwarves/other fantasy races come from. As you can see, sci-fi and magical fantasy doesn't mix very well.

Teofish said:
McBeverage said:

It really was. Everything started going downhill after HoMM 3.

Really? I can't remember any laser gun in there.

Really? I thought Axeoth is really cool. If only they focus more on survivors' tales like Emilia Nighthaven, Gauldoth and Lysander, they'd have the recipe for a post-post-apocalypse high fantasy right there.

Axeoth was just a slight dip in quality. And that might've been a lot of nostalgia deciding for me beforehand. But Ashan is an absolute ****e pile in comparison.

The Half-Dead campaign was easily my favourite, thogh it only slimly beat Lysander's.  I haven't even had the game installed since before I got my current computer, and I still remember the intro word-for-word.
None of the new heroes beat Gelu, Crag Hack, Sandro, or the dragonslayer wizard guy, though, in terms of overall badassery.

@Argeus: Ah, **** yeah, never actually had the whole story spelled out for me, and I've only played VI, tbh.  Danke!  Kinda awesome/ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom