What are the best non-KO throwing troops? At what proficiency/PT is throw useful

Users who are viewing this thread

I've always wanted to mess around with throwing troops but never got around to it really. What are your favorite non-KO throwers? We all know that the top throwing troops are SLC/Scorps-->Krakens-->LVs. I know throwing weapon accuracy and damage are both influenced by power throw (particularly the requirement vs your current stat) and proficiency, but I don't know which of the two is more important. The top 3 above the above have have PT9 with 390 or better proficiency.

Empire troops generally have 300-320 proficiency, PT6, and use PT4 broadheads.
Fierdsvain troops have 280-310 (Huscarl) and have 6-7 PT, and use PT1-3 throwing weapons. I'm guessing they're substantially more accurate than Empire troops, but will do less damage.
D'Shar troops mostly have 300, PT6, and use PT2 war darts. Noble cav have PT7/300 and use PT4 assassin throwing knives. I don't know if PT7 is enough to make a PT4 weapon accurate.
Vanskerries have 250, PT6, and use PT2-3 axes and javelins.
Mercenaries have 290, PT7, and use PT1-3 weapons.

One of the 2 top contestants is the Melitine Imperial Guard. Those Old Empire Hastae are no joke with 9 Power Throw and 350 throwing profs. Although only 6 ammo :sad:

The Iron Circle Centurions are the other top non-KO throwers. Very accurate, but they do less damage with Throwing Spears (have 10 ammo in return!). Still, they are guaranteed with throwing weapons and also have 9 Power Throw and 500 throwing profs. They are basically slightly upgraded SLC stat-wise :grin: However, they are very rare troops and beside getting them as a rare offer from Ramun the Slave Trader, the only other option is to have Agathon Legatus reinforce a garrison as a fellow Empire lord or as your vassal and then take the fief for yourself (convince king, get enough votes, whatever). Marrying him is not possible iirc.

Overall, I think accuracy and higher ammo capacity is more important after a point (9+ Power Throw), so imo Iron Circle Centurions are the actual top non-KO throwers (guaranteed ranged and 10 ammo). Throwing Spears are one-shotting most units with headshots already (which are more common with higher profs). Only their rarity is what makes them questionable for the top place...

I brought a couple Huscarls to a bandit raid and was pleased with their throwing performance. They were landing direct hits with their throwing axes from a moderate range, and of course were very competent in close melee. Performed better than I expected and better than I remember Legionnaires doing. The 1 point higher PT and lower weapon damage looks like it's enough to make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom