Weird Historical Amour and Weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Over-under double-barreled blunderbuss by Johann Steckel, converted later to percussion locks. The rammer is stored on the right-hand side between the barrels, rather than underneath, embedded in the stock, where most muskets have them. Gold inlay and ornate carving decorate the stock, tang and upper barrel.

BYb09uH.jpg

Edit: Come to think of it, I guess the rammer is still embedded in the stock, it's just that the stock is shaped differently than usual, due to the barrel configuration.

I think I have seen something like it on a tomb stone relief somewhere. Reverse image search didn't turn anything up but I would guess the original was a standard bearer.

Romans had some weird standards like these of the beneficarii:
Benefiziarierlanze_Osterburken.jpg

pila_hastae30b.JPG

Mindelheim type "Chieftain of Oss" Hallstatt sword
from Vorstengraf (grave of the king) in Oss
Rijksmuseum van Oudheden...

vv2ltMP.jpg

sp2yePT.jpg

bW3BW5t.jpg

Verbogen_Keltische_zwaard.jpg

comparison with other Iron Age, Hallstatt findings

Alice_Schumacher_PA_NHM_Wien_Abb_Salz-Reich_2008_Seite_131_1.jpg

Hallstattfunde.jpg

RC-1136 said:
How about making it unusable for thieves? I'm always a bit sceptical about explaining something as "ritual".

But it's a ritual that makes sense even to us modern humans. You ruin the sword so nobody else can use it, and the honour and mystique attached to the weapon "dies" with the person. Nobody cheapens the honour of the man by re-using his sword and equipment. Some people like to burn wedding dresses or prevent anyone from sleeping in a room where a child died or whatever. It's a form of memorial.

Ungrevling said:
Making it unusable for thieves by making it unusable for anyone? How does that make any sense?
Exactly.
These swords weren't laying around but were used as ritual (:roll:) offerings or burial objects.

JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
But it's a ritual that makes sense even to us modern humans. You ruin the sword so nobody else can use it, and the honour and mystique attached to the weapon "dies" with the person. Nobody cheapens the honour of the man by re-using his sword and equipment. Some people like to burn wedding dresses or prevent anyone from sleeping in a room where a child died or whatever. It's a form of memorial.
I totally understand the logic behind it but just because something is logical doesn't mean it was done. As long as there isn't a source claiming a swords spirit had to be broken (not just some "historian" fantasising about) by bending it I remain sceptical.

I just had a look into the short "Die Kelten" by Alexander Demandt. He says that offerings which were objects of utility ("Gebrauchsgegenstand") - so not just swords - often were damaged. Torcs were broken, chariots disassembled and swords bent. According to Demandt this custom was used to deter theft while still being able to fullfil the oath to sacrifice named object. The same custom was used for burial objects as well.

People in all cultures have done weird and apparently counter-intuitive **** for religious reasons so it's a good guess. You're being contrarian and arrogant.

Ok. Thanks?  :???:
You are free to guess whatever you like. I just wanted to state my opinion and even bothered to look up the opinion of one of the authorities in the field.

This isn't a new idea as can be seen by matmohair calling it "part of the ritual "killing of the sword"". There is a tendency especially among archaeologists and historians to explain things we can't fully understand ("weird and apparently counter-intuitive ****") with them being ritualistic or cultic. So I would remain sceptical and ask for evidence regarding the killing of the soul of a weapon. :neutral: I have little knowledge about archaeology and Celtic history so I totally might have missed some evidence supporting "sword killings"  :wink:

On the other hand being aware of thieves isn't illogical at all. The Romans for example didn't use this custom. So it did occur that they plundered the temples when in danger and in need for available weapons. King David in the bible is another example when he took Goliath´s sword from the temple to use it fighting Saul.

Being sceptical is good, but thinking you know better than archaeologists because of your gut feeling is arrogant. If you leave something as an offering to the dead, how is that anything other than ritual? Both preventing theft and some kind of magic effect may have been considerations when destroying votive objects.

Back
Top Bottom