B Medieval [WB] Warband: Total Realism, 1148 A.D. - (MAPPER needed)

How do you feel about the name of the mod?

• Its great and should stay the same.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Its not so great, but I don't mind it.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I don't like it, and here is my opinion (please post suggestions).

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I would like if it changed to 1148 - The Siege of Damascus

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Chessmen from Uig, Lewis, western isles of Scotland, c.1150-1175, Portraying Warriors
attachment.php

A hoard of 78 pieces was found in 1831 in the parish of Uig on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.
Scots Isles Warder 116
Scots Isles Warder 117
Scots Isles Warder 118
Scots Isles Warder 119
Scots Isles Warder 120
Scots Isles Warder 121
Scots Isles Warder 122
Scots Isles Warder 123
Scots Isles Warder 124
Scots Isles Warder 125
Scots Isles Warder NMS
Scots Isles Warder NMS-berserker

A Scots Islesmen from Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath - based on the Lewis chessmen.

MIRROR SITE
Chessmen from Uig, Lewis, western isles of Scotland, c.1150-1175, Portraying Warriors
A Scots Islesmen from Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath - based on the Lewis chessmen.

Druzhina
12th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Thanks Druzhina for the research.
And no the mod isn't dead. I'm learning coding on M&B right now so I can code in the features and maybe have an alpha out sometime in the next couple of months.

Outlawed said:
Thanks Druzhina for the research.
And no the mod isn't dead. I'm learning coding on M&B right now so I can code in the features and maybe have an alpha out sometime in the next couple of months.
Very nice good luck

That's great Druzhina. According to David Nicolle, the wicked portrayed in the Beatus of Liébana are based upon Andalusion warriors.
Otherwise, I made the helmet showed in the Codex Calixtinus:
1348592449-cross.jpg

Al_Mansur said:
That's great Druzhina. According to David Nicolle, the wicked portrayed in the Beatus of Liébana are based upon Andalusion warriors.

Al_Mansur,

There are many copies of the Beatus of Liébana, mostly Spanish.  In some of those earlier than this the 'Four Horsemen' have long arab style robes.  e.g.: The Four Horsemen in the Facundus-Beatus, 1047

In a  Beatus of Liébana from SW France, 1060s the style is European.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Liber ad honorem Augusti, by Pietro da Eboli, Sicily, c.1197
The Liber ad honorem Augusti sive de rebus Siculis tells the story of Tancred of Lecce's attempt to take control of Sicily, an attempt thwarted by the successful military campaign of Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor.

attachment.php

Thumbnails for Liber ad honorem Augusti, by Pietro da Eboli
The Image Links:
Folio 95r. Virgil, Ovid, Lucan
Folio 96r. The facts in the life of Roger II. / Birth of Constance d'Hautville. / Henry VI and Constance married. / Their departure for Germany.
Folio 97r. Illness and death of William II. People and magnates of Palermo weeping
Folio 98r. Mourning for William II of Sicily
Folio 99r. The people and the soldiers of the Kingdom cheering respectively for Tancred and the Count of Andria, candidates to the throne of Sicily.
Folio 100r. Matteo d'Ajello tries to induce Gualtiero d'Offamil to support Tancred of Lecce.
Folio 101r. Greek, Saracen, Latin & Jewish Notaries. Messengers of Tancred de Hauteville
Folio 102r. Triumphal entry of King Tancred into Palermo
Folio 103r. Allusions to the future fall and deformity of Tancred.
Folio 104r. The Count of Andria in jail.
Folio 105r. Henry VI went to Rome to be crowned by Pope Celestine III.
Folio 106r. Messengers of the Emperor / Messengers from Germany
Folio 107r. Frederick Barbarossa on the 3rd Crusade / his death in Salef / Henry VI arrives in Sicily
Folio 108r. The abbot of Montecassino Roffredo meets the emperor. Surrender of Rocca d'Arce. The emperor accompanied to Capua by the Archbishop.
Folio 109r. Henry VI besieging Naples (1191) / Count Richard of Acerra wounded by an arrow.
Folio 110r. Dressing of the wound of Count Richard of Acerra / Tancred fights Bohemian Knights / Ambassadors from Salerno before the royal couple
Folio 111r. Entrance of Constance d'Hautville into Salerno. / Fighting between the forces of Salerno, Tancred and the Empire in the castle, and those on the other hill called Tuoro
Folio 112r. Visit of the Archdeacon of Salerno to the sick Emperor in Naples.
Folio 113r. Public discourse of Count Richard of Acerra and the Archbishop of Salerno because the Neapolitans will not leave the city. Neapolitan women.
Folio 114r. Departure of the ill Henry VI for Germany
Folio 115r. Salerni uprising against the Empress Constance.
Folio 116r. The people of Salerno attack the palace wherein dwells Empress Constance. The Empress talks to the Salerni.
Folio 117r. Assault by the Salerni on the Terracina Palace, Salerno. / The Empress Constance prays.
Folio 118r. The Empress Constance in prayer. / Constance prisoner of Elia di Gisualdo
Folio 119r. Departure of the captive Empress Constance d'Hautville for Messina.
Folio 120r. Empress Constance Arriving in Messina. / Empress Constance talks with Tancred.
Folio 121r. Tancred saddened thinking about the future. / Count Richard of Acerra advances on Capua.
Folio 122r. Speech by Conrad von Lutzelhard besieged in Capua, his soldiers and Capuans.
Folio 123r. Episode of the assault on Capua by Count Richard of Acerra. / The burial of the bodies after the battle.
Folio 124r. The Empress Constance conducted as prisoner to Palermo. / Constance in conversation with the Queen Sibyl.
Folio 125r. Message exchanges between Tancred and Queen Sibyl about the prisoner - Empress Constance.
Folio 126r. Empress Constance imprisoned in the Castle of the Saviour in Naples at the behest of Matthew of Ajello.
Folio 127r. Matthew of Ajello embraces his two wives. / Matthew of Ajello bathes his feet in the blood of a child to treat gout.
Folio 128r. The Empress Constance released at the intersession of Pope Celestine III. / Constance leaves for Germany.
Folio 129r. Arrest, defence and forgiveness of Richard the Lionheart, back from the Crusades.
Folio 130r. Storming of S. Germano by Diepold von Schweinspeunt
Folio 131r. The army and the fleet of the Emperor Henry VI to conquer the kingdom of Sicily.
Folio 132r. Salerno attacked by the imperial troops
Folio 133r. Diepold von Schweinspeunt. / Escape of Guido di Castelvecchio, who had tried to seize the prey made by Diepold von Schweinspeunt in his raids
Folio 134r. Castles of Sicily. / The Emperor Henry VI in Favara receives ambassadors of Palermo. / Sadness of Queen Sibyl. / Entrance of the Emperor into Palermo.
Folio 135r. Queen Sibyl while praying to the Apostles Peter and Paul.
Folio 136r. Henry VI. / Conspiracy of Sibylla of Acerra against Henry VI in favor of William III's son Tancred
Folio 137r. Denunciation of the conspiracy, capture and imprisonment of the conspirators.
Folio 138r. The Empress Constance, when leaving for Sicily, entrusts the little Frederick Roger (the future Frederick II) to the Duchess of Spoleto.
Folio 139r. Dedication image. The poet, accompanied by Chancellor Konrad von Querfurt, hands over the work to the Emperor Henry VI
Folio 140r. Peter of Eboli invokes Wisdom.
Folio 141r. Picture alluding to the peace that occurred under the Emperor Henry VI.
Folio 142r. The chancellor receiving tribute from Arabs. Markward von Annweiler stands on the right.
Folio 143r. Six paintings from the Old Testament that adorn the Sicilian Palace / Frederick I and his sons Henry and Phillip / Frederick I orders the cutting down of forests in Hungary on his crusade
Folio 144r. A notary and people.
Folio 145r. Under a large arch Chancellor Conrad talking to the nobles of the kingdom to his right, behind him two armed with swords in hand.
Folio 146r. Henry enthroned among the seven virtues and the triumph over Tancred, who lies under the wagon of Fortuna
Folio 147r. Henry VI on the throne flanked by Marcovaldo (Markward) of Anweiler to his right, Chancellor Konrad of Querfurt to his left & Heinrich von Kalden below him

MIRROR SITE
Liber ad honorem Augusti, by Pietro da Eboli, Sicily, c.1197

Druzhina
12th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Not only because of the tassels, but also because of the mid sleeved surcoats upon the hauberks of the king's guards, if I remember correctly. What's more, there are four horsemen with turbans appearing in the same side:
1349001102-apocalus.jpg
(probably "horsemen of the Apocalypse").

The Spanish spearman's shield in the frescos from the Church of San Baudelio de Berlanga is perhaps influenced by Islamic fashions.

Al_Mansur said:
Not only because of the tassels, but also because of the mid sleeved surcoats upon the hauberks of the king's guards, if I remember correctly. What's more, there are four horsemen with turbans appearing in the same side:
1349001102-apocalus.jpg
(probably "horsemen of the Apocalypse").

Thanks Al Mansur,
David Nicolle did not mention the mid sleeved surcoats in'El Cid'.

This drawing isn't the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse (the 1st 3 would have bow, sword and balance scales respectively) but of 'Monstrous Cavalry' who ride lion-headed horses.  Are they from the Las Huelgas Apocalypse by Beatus of Liébana, Spain, 1220AD copy, Manuscript M.429 - the museum does not display an illustration of this scene.  Different Beatus manuscript copies have different influences. Does Nicolle give a date or manuscript name as his source for these drawings?
Here are the Monstrous Cavalry from the Commentary on the Apocalypse by Beatus of Liébana, from Saint-Sever SW France, 1060s. Note the snakes for tails in this version.

The 1st 2 'Horsemen of the Apocalypse' from the Las Huelgas Apocalypse by Beatus wear helmets with nasals

The Spanish spearman's shield in the frescos from the Church of San Baudelio de Berlanga is perhaps influenced by Islamic fashions.
Or vice-versa?

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Thanks for these sources, this is very interesting.
David Nicolle mentions the "surcoats" (in fact quilted armors) in The Moors, The Islamic West. The source he gives is the same as yours (Beatus of Liébana, Spain, c. 1220). I have taken these drawings of him in Arms and Armours of the Crusading Era, vol. 1. Here all the drawings of this Beatus he recorded in the book, along with explanations:
1349081539-35-maures.jpg

Or vice-versa?

Indeed, that's possible. However, such decorations are rather associated with the Islamic world.

Al_Mansur said:
Thanks for these sources, this is very interesting.
David Nicolle mentions the "surcoats" (in fact quilted armors) in The Moors, The Islamic West. The source he gives is the same as yours (Beatus of Liébana, Spain, c. 1220). I have taken these drawings of him in Arms and Armours of the Crusading Era, vol. 1. Here all the drawings of this Beatus he recorded in the book, along with explanations:
1349081539-35-maures.jpg

Or vice-versa?

Indeed, that's possible. However, such decorations are rather associated with the Islamic world.

Al Mansur, Thanks for the drawing, I have managed to find the folio of the Horsemen On Lion-Headed Horses.  I think David Nicolle is incorrect to call this another picture of the 'Four Horsemen' as they are 'The Four Angels that are Bound at the River Euphrates" (Rev 9:14).

I doubt that tassels on shields denote pagans in the picture above as the defenders of Jerusalem all have tasseled shields, while Darius' guards in folio 162r do not have tassels. It is just as likely that they are associated with the Islamic world because Christians stopped using them well before Andalusians.

Re: the pointed hats of 2 Babylonian archers. The Sicilian drawing refered to is :  Liber ad honorem Augusti, folio 102r. Triumphal entry of King Tancred into Palermo

Here is the Maciejowski Bible to which he refers.

There is no mention of the kite/almond shields (only in Nebuchadnezzar's army) in these captions. Does David Nicolle have anything to say about these?

Druzhina
13th Century Illustrations of Soldiers

Nicolle does not say anything about the kite/almond shields, which appear in many of the pictures representing Muslims, even in Muslim sources themselves, since the 10th century.

Some sites with more pictures of the Maciejowski bible:
http://www.keesn.nl/mac/mac_en.htm
http://www.themorgan.org/collections/swf/exhibOnline.asp?id=200

Otherwise, I'll ask to that guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sh4m69
Where he found all the Cantigas pictures he puts in his music videos.

Back
Top Bottom