SP Native [WB] Kunst des Fechtens (Art of fighting) (initial testing has begun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Interesting stuff about the different fight schools^^
As long as I don't have to do modern foil sport fencing I'm looking forward to a Renaissance setting :wink:

Lo there Ares! Good to see you still working faithfully to better Warband. Hope you can reuse some of this for Mount and Blade 2.

I also notice you mention that you need a historian to help you out..? Do you also need help on the weapon/armour stats (how are those going, BTW?)?

Just google "mount and blade 2 announced" and you should get the youtube vid. There is some chance it's a misunderstanding... but it oughtn't to be.

Sorry guys I haven't kept the topic updated.

Haven't done a whole lot since the last update. You know that thing called real life...

Anyhow, Thanksgiving is coming up and I'll probably get some work done then. I will basically be working on this when I get breaks in school; don't have much time at all for it during school...

I have had a problem getting the ai to block in the correct direction. Apparently other modders have had problems with this as well. It apparently was not a problem until a certain update (can't remember which one) when it started messing up. Another modder reported the problem on the bug tracker and a dev responded that the coding operation was never intended to work in combat. But it wasn't a problem before! :shock: :mad: usually the devs are awesome, but this time :???: (of course, it's not like they're busy with something else :wink: )

Anyhow, I'll have to figure out some way to get around it. I may not worry about the fight-master part for the initial testing release.

I've finally decided to go ahead and update my Warband to 1.143, so I'll probably be working on improving my current code during Thanksgiving

@Conners
I'm not exactly sure what I'll need in terms of historian or weapon/armor stats. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have someone well versed in the history of fighting guilds and the art of fighting in the medieval/renaissance eras. It also wouldn't hurt to have some input on weapons and armor stats. But it will be hard to get the stats just right until we've got some testing under our belt.

Of course, I welcome any suggestions about history or weapons/armor stats.

In terms of Mount & Blade 2... It's probably not coming out for a while, so I'm not worried too much about it. I imagine the module system will remain largely the same, so porting my work will probably not be too great of a deal. However, I've got no clue how the combat system will change in MnB2, so I've got no clue what I will need to port and etc. We will just have to see once the game comes out.

elorian said:
Wooohooo awesome mod is awesome!
Quoted for truth.

Good to see you Ares. When the mod is closer to completion we can try to get a historian. Ron might help integrate the RCM, too.

It sounds like a good idea to implement the RCM; we will just have to see how things work out and what everyone wants.

Well, I've decided to go ahead and upload the first testing version. The only thing included is the new mechanics:
Master strikes - basically 1-time counters. Certain strikes will defeat other strikes if simultaneously released. This is the setup:
-thrust defeats left attack
-left attack defeats overhead
-overhead defeats right attack
-right attack defeats thrust

Grappling - you may defeat an enemy's block with a block of your own (based on direction). The directional setup is the same as for master strikes. When you "defeat" an enemy's block, it staggers the opponent slightly but does not damage
-low block defeats left block
-left block defeats up block
-up block defeats right block
-right block defeats low block

"Minimum" range - at very close distances, any block direction will stuff an enemy's attack (except against short weapons). In addition, attacks have reduced damage at very close ranges.

Half-swording - most two-handed swords can be held and used as very-short-range polearms by pressing 'x'

note: this is the first release, and the mechanics are a bit unrefined right now. With each new release, I plan to fine-tune the balancing and polish the presentation up. For example, "Grappling" range still needs to be tweaked and refined, and I plan on refining the clashing sound of the master-strikes to represent the weapons being used.

note 2: the mod uses Papa Lazarou's enhanced combat animations. They look very good (and way more realistic) in my opinion, but you will need to adjust to the new chamber positions (note: chamber blocks actually look good and believable now) :smile:

download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44346183/Kunst_des_Fechtens.rar

Happy Testing! :grin:

awesome, can't wait to hear what you think

oh, and a third note: master cuts are not easy to pull off :razz: (best way to see them work is either to start a server with someone and test them out, or to go into the tutorial and spar a novice fighter backing up until he's holding an attack and you have time to figure out the correct master strike)
also, I think I've got the "minimum range" set too long. I think it's a bit too easy to stuff attacks right now.

also forgot to mention, this is for Warband 1.143 :smile:

Yeah I have the newest Warband, so no worries there. Just did the whole OMFG AMBUSH part in single player. Will be going to the training camp and having fun.

But that brief fight was awesome.  :grin:

EDIT: did my first counter. This is quite impressive! Makes the fighting a lot more intuitive in my opinion. And has the option of making it much more intense.

awesome, that's good to hear!

my next step will be to isolate an npc and work on his combat ai (will probably use the trainers at the training fields and give the player an option to spar the trainer). I can already give an npc precise distancing, now it's time to get him to have good timing, then the ability to mix up tactics.

Back
Top Bottom