SP Native [WB] Kunst des Fechtens (Art of fighting) (initial testing has begun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Belendor Torheal Artendor said:
di-1FKF.png

I hope he returns. So much efforts he seems to put in indeed.
wow, I didn't see this earlier. If it's ok, Belendor, I'd like to put this somewhere in the initial post. It would be cool to have a picture with the text "Kunst des Fechtens" or "dies Kunst des Fechtens" to put at the top of the initial post (and maybe even some parts of the mod).

Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks! :smile:

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving! :grin:

Ah, well. That is actually pretty disgusting and bad. I am sure i can arrange you much better looking if that is what you want. :smile:

I played the mod and I think it's great.But I have 1 idea:
You play the mod with standard Mount and Blade animations.
If you have Power Strike 3 and Weapon Master 5,you unlock the possibility to fight with Papa's animations.Papa's animations always are 1-time counter vs. normal anims.
If both fighters have PS 3 and WM 5,then 1 time counters are like yours.

I don't think it's currently possible to control which animations are used; otherwise that would be an interesting idea.

Once I get the AI working how I want it, I will most likely make what tactics they use depend on their stats, so your idea will be partially reflected in that way.

I have definitely considered using WSE and I probably will. There are definitely some nice operations that I can use.

is this currently available in the first release?  :smile:

> allow the player the possibility of becoming a student of a fight master NPC and eventually to become a fight master (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of working for a Lord as a fight master (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of purchasing a building and setting up his/her own school (conceptual stage)

soozo12 said:
is this currently available in the first release?  :smile:

> allow the player the possibility of becoming a student of a fight master NPC and eventually to become a fight master (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of working for a Lord as a fight master (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of purchasing a building and setting up his/her own school (conceptual stage)

sorry, not yet. The current release only has the new combat mechanics. The next release will polish these a bit as well as incorporate some ai improvements (only for one npc at first, then the next step will be to integrate it for all npc's). The release after that will likely continue to refine what is already in the mod, possibly expand ai improvements to more npc's, and possibly add in the beginnings of a large "fight guild" quest. I can't really give an exact estimate of what will be worked on in what order beyond that though.

There are quite a lot of moves to keep track of. I find chambering comes easiest, maybe because I'm most used to it. It's kind of hard to know what is going on, did I do some counter or was that just a normal hit?
Will still have to play around for a bit, but I like that you've decided to use Papa Lazarou's animations. I like them, but they aren't perfect and a lot of people seem to dislike them for being different.

well, in terms of attacks, the only addition is the 1-time counter. When a successful counter is made, you will hear the sound of your weapons clashing; this will not happen with regular attacks. So you can know if it was a counter based on the sound. :smile:

But there are definitely more "moves". One of my goals is give Warband combat more technical diversity which means more technical options/tools available to the player which means more moves to keep track of :smile: Of course, I want the new mechanics to be refined and intuitive enough that it's not too difficult to keep track of after some practice.

I do know that some people don't like Papa's animations. I know they're not perfect, but they do look way better than the stock animations. The real reason people don't like them is because they have to get use to the new chamber positions. Until you get used to them, it's hard to block; this is why people don't like them.
However, it is easier to chamber block with the new animations (because it looks so intuitive), and it looks a whole lot better when it's actually done. Also, the 1-time counters would look pretty awful with the stock animations in my opinion.

That being said, it's not too difficult to take the new animations out. If enough people have problems with them, I can always offer a version without the animations (or at least give instructions to turn them off)

what are your thoughts regarding the "grappling" features?

It's kinda hard for me to test, since I've mostly been playing against bots, who don't seem to be blocking all that much.  :razz:

Though I do think the bot did a grapple on me one time. O.O

Fighting with sword in one hand still looks unrealistic, especially the stabbing animation, and the left hand when the player is blocking. The 2h weapon animations is great though. Also, will it be possible to code in hitting with spear without releasing the left button?  Like if a horse comes against you, all what you do is to hold the attack button without releasing it and the horse rides on your spear.

@Kazzan:
yeah, the bots aren't that great at blocking :razz:

hopefully I'll figure out a way to take control of bot blocking and make them good blockers :smile:

@Daniel
Yeah, the one hand animations are a little subdued. I think they need more hip/shoulder action. However, I still think they are significantly better than the stock animations personally.

About the spear thing. That's not something I had considered, but I'm pretty sure I could do that. I don't think it's on my top priority list, but it's definitely something I will consider putting in. I have been annoyed when a horse runs right through my "braced" spear. I would like to add it, but I want to get some of the other aspects of the mod going first.

Downloading now :grin:!

Something that might interest you, Ares, is this fellow's new project: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,211833.0.html
Going to be working with him. With time, his project might meld with yours perfectly. Would love it if we could get a compilation of mods that make a very authentic medieval experience.

PS: Sorry if this is off-topic, but I'll also mention this: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa
PPS: What's, "WSE"?

Back
Top Bottom