SP Dark Ages [WB][BL?](S) 500 AD - The Dark Ages

Users who are viewing this thread

kalarhan said:
AelleCyning said:
I won't change the scope.

it is your mod, which means you can do whatever you want with it. Doesn't matter if takes 1 hour or 100,000 hours of work.

people are just giving you the heads up about the amount of work. Rest is up to you.

you may also consider the difference between size and depth. Lots of generic factions, no new features, etc, would be just another mod among 1000. A smaller one, but with several new features could be something special. But if your skills are in modelling/graphic assets, not coding, best to work on what you know.

Good luck and happy modding!

Thanks. I know what I'm doing, trust me.

Good luck with this mod.

Looks interesting as a concept.

How much of Europe will the map cover?

First in-game screenshot! Very messy, of course, and most of the custom items aren't properly shaded right now. Still, it will give you an idea of the Pictish faction, especially their lighter and smaller (pony) cavalry.

1474492633-mb2.jpg

They shouldn't have trousers either, working on that.

If you insist on including 120 factions then beware of other limitations. You'll barely be able to have one banner map icon per faction if you implement them the regular way, and certain scripts are likely to crash or freeze the game unpredictably unless you go through and simplify or remove them (for example, whenever a script cycles between factions/lords and cycles again within that cycle).

As an example, the critically acclaimed BAFTA-winning mod 1257AD had a fraction of the factions you're thinking of including, but had to have a lot of core mechanics removed entirely to prevent crashes.

I agree with Kalarhan in that this is your mod and nobody can tell you what to do with it (its just a hobby after all), but be aware of the strict limitations of this game and be sure to use other completed mods as a guide for what's doable.

jacobhinds said:
If you insist on including 120 factions then beware of other limitations. You'll barely be able to have one banner map icon per faction if you implement them the regular way, and certain scripts are likely to crash or freeze the game unpredictably unless you go through and simplify or remove them (for example, whenever a script cycles between factions/lords and cycles again within that cycle).

As an example, the critically acclaimed BAFTA-winning mod 1257AD had a fraction of the factions you're thinking of including, but had to have a lot of core mechanics removed entirely to prevent crashes.

I agree with Kalarhan in that this is your mod and nobody can tell you what to do with it (its just a hobby after all), but be aware of the strict limitations of this game and be sure to use other completed mods as a guide for what's doable.

It's hypocritical to keep telling me I can do what I want while also critiscising it. Just critiscise it, don't try and "not huwt my feewings". I'm not an SJW, I can handle people giving critiscism without buttering it up, calling me a special snowflake and saying I can do what I want.

If I can't implement 120 factions, say so, don't say I can "do what I want".

If it was outright impossible I'd say so. I've never personally tested having 120 factions, but I'm just giving you a ballpark estimate of what warband modding is like because judging by your questions in the modding thread, you're not familiar with modding this game.

I simply told you what the limitations are so you don't waste hundreds of hours of your life, but I'm not going to discourage you from diving in and having fun modding for its own sake.

This is the list of currently planned factions (there'll be more) minus tribes.

Factions:
BRITAIN
-Pictland
-Strathclyde
-Manau
-Gododdin
-Bryneich
-North Rheged
-South Rheged
-Ebrauc
-Elmet
-Lindum
-Pengwern
-Cynwidion
-Lundein
-Glou
-Gwynedd
-Powys
-Brycheiniog
-Dyfed
-Glywysing
-Gwent
-Glastenning
-Dumnonia
-Cornubia
-Atrebatia
-Ceint
-Gewisse
-Westseaxe
-Suthseaxe
-Middelanglia
-Suthfolc
-Northfolc
-BRETON KINGDOMS
-Cornouaille
-Domnonia
-Poher
-Bro Erec
-Nantes
-Rennes
IRELAND
-Dalriada
-Munster
-Laigin
-Northern Ui Neill
-Southern Ui Neill
-Connacht
-Ulaid
EUROPE
-Salia
-Visigothia
-Burgundia
-Ostrogothia (Italy)
-Alemannia
-Ripuaria
-Mosa
-Hessia
-Thuringia
-Saxony
-Frisia
-Anglia
-Juteland
-Danmark
-Sweden
-Vasconia
-Suebia
-Longobardia
-Gepidia
EASTERN EUROPE
-Byzantine Empire
-Bosportia
-Lazica
-Iberia
-Albania
-Persarmenia
-Regum
-Gassanidia
-Hirae
ASIA
-Gupta Empire
-Vakataka Kingdom
-Utkala
-Kalinga
-Vishnu-Kundinia
-Pallava
-Chola
-Kadamba
-Ganga
-Chera
-Chola
-Pandya
-Sinhala
-Persian Empire
-Pye
-Champa
-Wei Empire
-Sung Empire
-Malaya
-Yamato
-Ainu
-Koguryo
-Paekche
-Silla
-Kaya

Two tips: Fist you should focus in western europe since the tittle of your mod is Dark Ages....i'm no expert in history but as far as i know this "label" is kind of restrict to Europe wich was affected by the fall of the western roman empire. With that im mind one may say that China for example didnt faced a "Dark Age" , that leads to some debate of course and i may be wrong of course.
The other tip is that its impossible to give life to many small factions , in britain you are planning more than 20 factions it seens. Maybe you should make something like the Britain faction of Rome Total War 1 and one or 2 saxon factions. Good luck!

Laizenbh said:
Two tips: Fist you should focus in western europe since the tittle of your mod is Dark Ages....i'm no expert in history but as far as i know this "label" is kind of restrict to Europe wich was affected by the fall of the western roman empire. With that im mind one may say that China for example didnt faced a "Dark Age" , that leads to some debate of course and i may be wrong of course.
The other tip is that its impossible to give life to many small factions , in britain you are planning more than 20 factions it seens. Maybe you should make something like the Britain faction of Rome Total War 1 and one or 2 saxon factions. Good luck!

The title doesn't mean much. It's also "500 AD", a dating system which almost none of the countries in the mod used.
I don't see an point in a British faction if it's not splintered. It's ridiculous to berate me on the historical accuracy of the title and then say to lump everyone in Britain into one faction.

Western Europe was a bunch of Germanic tribes whining and having "biggest ****" contests. If you want that, go to Amsterdam and say Dutch people suck. My mod will eventually span the known world, that's final.

AelleCyning said:
Western Europe was a bunch of Germanic tribes whining and having "biggest ****" contests.

...and that is bad for a M&B gamebuild how exactly?

Mamlaz said:
AelleCyning said:
Western Europe was a bunch of Germanic tribes whining and having "biggest ****" contests.

...and that is bad for a M&B gamebuild how exactly?

Samish tribes. Arguably the Vascones and Celts are different, but barely so. Both are romanised, and some of those Germans have heavy Roman elements.

They all have:

-Chainmail
-Bucklers
-Migration era german swords
-Cloissoné artwork
-Garnet
-Sameish helmets
-Similar fabrics and dyes

It's boring. They even mostly look the same.

Imagine M&B Warband with the six factions being replaced by:

"Swadians"
"Swadians with silly hats"
"Swadians with slightly different shields"
"Ginger Swadians"
"Swadyans"
"Swadians who don't like mustard"

Would that be fun?

Back
Top Bottom