SP Dark Ages [WB][BL?](S) 500 AD - The Dark Ages

Users who are viewing this thread

AelleCyning

Sergeant
1468439540-the-dark-ages.png

Five hundred Anno Domini. Clovis has defeated the Kingdom of Soissons and the Visigoths. Britain lays in ruins, the warring native kingdoms vying for supremacy. The Roman Empire is dead, replaced by King Odoacer's Kingdom of Italy, now ruled by the Ostrogoths. Foul weather, floods and dying crops drives the remaining Germanic tribes to other climes. The Byzantine Empire, ruled by Emperor Anastasius, stands strong as the Bulwark of Eastern Europe. To the East, the ill-tempered Emperor Ohatsusenowakasazaki is slowly conquering the Island of Japan, and Vainyagupta rules India proudly.

Hello everyone!

I have been modelling some dark ages armour and weapons for a while. Until now, no mod from the period has satisfied me. Brytewalda came close but I find it lacks a lot of variety, and only concentrates on Britain.

So I've decided to make a Dark Ages mod for Warband, possibly bleeding into Bannerlord (if it's easy enough to port) when it comes out. It would focus on the entirety of the known world at that point. No faction will be left behind, with hundreds of them to choose from. You can play as a Dumnonian, a Frank or a Sassanid, lending your sword to any of them.

Would anyone be interested in helping me make this a reality? I am mostly a modeller. I can edit basic things with the script editor, but nothing fancy like adding sea battles or changing the scripts in any significant way other than replacing values and variables. Any modellers are also welcome!

Images

Very nice project, i love dark ages too, do you plan to do it around 800's with vikings franks britons saxons and others? This period would fit so well Warband or Bannerlord. You have a Dwarf helm in TLD that could be transform quite easily in frankish elite troop or noble helm.

12380519_10156690408200230_2133301387_n.jpg
890885frankhelm.jpg

Edit: i didn't read the banner 500 AD quite surprised in 6 th century the frank are almost barbarians the britons are almost romans, and there is no vikings, vikings raids starts in 793. But it can be a good period too :wink:

Armaury said:
Very nice project, i love dark ages too, do you plan to do it around 800's with vikings franks britons saxons and others? This period would fit so well Warband or Bannerlord. You have a Dwarf helm in TLD that could be transform quite easily in frankish elite troop or noble helm.

12380519_10156690408200230_2133301387_n.jpg
890885frankhelm.jpg

Edit: i didn't read the banner 500 AD quite surprised in 6 th century the frank are almost abrbarians the britons are almost romans, and there is no vikings, vikings raids starts in 793. But it can be a good period too :wink:

The Franks were far from being Barbarians, and the Britons far from being Romans. It's a fascinating period.

Actually I think the Late Romans were more barbaric than the so-called barbarians. Check this pack for these swords.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,264791.0.html
NIMVo74.png

Ed0FkQ0.png

VlF8chN.png

I might be interested. Also some replicas.
http://templ.net/english/weapons-antiquity_and_early_middle_age.php

I like this period too, can you show what progress you've made so far?

@Gothic Knight: Nice link, bookmarking that one :smile:.

Gothic Knight said:
Actually I think the Late Romans were more barbaric than the so-called barbarians. Check this pack for these swords.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,264791.0.html
NIMVo74.png

Ed0FkQ0.png

VlF8chN.png

I might be interested. Also some replicas.
http://templ.net/english/weapons-antiquity_and_early_middle_age.php

Thanks, those are really useful!

matmohair1 said:
Justinian's War: Belisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the West
R.Boss, R.Chapman, P.Garriock. -  Montvert Publications, 1993

01.jpg
02.jpg

03.jpg
04.jpg

05.jpg
06.jpg

07.jpg
08.jpg

09.jpg
10.jpg

Thanks, always love the Late Romans!

kraggrim said:
I like this period too, can you show what progress you've made so far?

@Gothic Knight: Nice link, bookmarking that one :smile:.

Not much, I'm afraid. So far I've got some Pictish weapons, extensive research on the Britons, Saxons and Franks. I'm starting to make some Frankish things too.

b9e099fea0.jpg

de1dd6ab48.jpg

1474119855-salian-bee.png

If you support the mod, feel free to put this in your signature!

Otherwise, here are some Pictish tunics!

305bc2cd02.jpg

-Noble Tunic: dyed with madden and overdyed with indigo to create a rich marroon colour. It is made in imitation of the southern Romano-British tunics, which are coptic tunics. On it have been woven symbols of a Mermaid and the V-Rod.
-Tunic: dyed with alum and then post-mordanted with copper salt.
-Tunic: dyed with alum, with attested (though their use is unknown) bands going down the middle and sides.

How many kingdoms are you planning to include in this mod?  Will it focus mainly on western Europe or also include eastern Europe and more?

Redleg said:
How many kingdoms are you planning to include in this mod?  Will it focus mainly on western Europe or also include eastern Europe and more?

From Western Europe to Japan, including Northern Africa. I'll probably have to fuse some factions, since there's a 120 faction limit, but I'd guess around 120 kingdoms.

Wow, that's a lot of faction man, I mean, do you know how complicated is to add a faction to this game right?Believe me is not easy, especially the banner's  part. Despite I liking the idea of the mod I think that is too much work for one person, also modding gets a bit tedious after a few months, so I suggest starting with something smaller, cause it would be a shame to see this mod dying in mid-process due to lack of interest of the author, pls note that this is just my point of view and a friendly advice, I wish you the best of  luck with this mod, if it comes to live its going to be probably the biggest mod around here.

Made those axes as well.
a1pfJ16.png

Can make seaxs or other weapons.
156_all-v.jpg
From Western Europe to Japan, including Northern Africa. I'll probably have to fuse some factions, since there's a 120 faction limit, but I'd guess around 120 kingdoms.
That's not a good idea. You will have too much work in my opinion. I suggest making a mod of more narrow scope to attract more people.

I appreciate that you want to stay true to your vision of the mod.  If that vision is what motivates you to work on the mod than it's probably better to not change it.  I have to say though that I agree with Slavos and Gothic Knight about the scope being too large from a practical point of view.

From my perspective, having a medium-sized map and number of factions would hit a sweet spot that so few mods target.  For example,  AD 1257, Europe 1200, and Annis Tenebrarum are on the large size in terms of map while Brytenwalda and some of the Crusader-themed mods are on the small to medium size.  If you limited your factions you could still have a large variety of different troops, say from the Eastern Roman Empire or parts of Asia Minor, in the form of mercenaries.

Anyway, it is very nice to see a focus on the early dark ages.  I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Do some historical fiction, the 6th century Pictish invasion of Japan. :lol:.

Seriously tho, looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. Remember there's no harm in using plenty of OSPs alongside your own stuff, especially with that many factions/locations.

Redleg said:
I appreciate that you want to stay true to your vision of the mod.  If that vision is what motivates you to work on the mod than it's probably better to not change it.  I have to say though that I agree with Slavos and Gothic Knight about the scope being too large from a practical point of view.

From my perspective, having a medium-sized map and number of factions would hit a sweet spot that so few mods target.  For example,  AD 1257, Europe 1200, and Annis Tenebrarum are on the large size in terms of map while Brytenwalda and some of the Crusader-themed mods are on the small to medium size.  If you limited your factions you could still have a large variety of different troops, say from the Eastern Roman Empire or parts of Asia Minor, in the form of mercenaries.

Anyway, it is very nice to see a focus on the early dark ages.  I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I'm not interested in compromising. 120 factions is already a knocked down figure.

Back
Top Bottom