War Diaries (POSTS 1 AND 3) Continued! Royal Highlander Greatcoat Kilt Fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Baktech

Sergeant
88bbe6863733fc90c2e1b05f9637e2e7.png

This is more of an After Action Report thread.

Post your experiences from your adventures in Napoleonic Europe!

Keep it like a journal/diary where you have dates, and maybe times, if you want.​

Greatcoat-Kilt bug, fixed: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322316.msg7632317.html#msg7632317

DerpingtonPryce - War Diary, Maj-Gen. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham and Eckington, 1st Anglian Foot Guards

His story:

Alexander Wolsley was born into a family of noble blood in East Anglia. Alexander grew up helping out Mister Brannigan, an Irish engineer tasked with the construction of bridges in the surrounding area. Alexander also attended a military academy from which he graduated at the top of his class. By the age of 18 his family had fallen on hard times and Alexander's father was suffering of pneumonia. In his will, his father had given most of his fortune to Alexander's two older brothers, this included their estate and most of their wealth. Alexander did however receive a sizeable amount of 50,000 pounds. Thinking back on his experience at the military academy and the war that was raging in Europe, Alexander decided to try his luck and purchased a Major's commission in the British Army and was put in command of a company of fusiliers.

Monday, 17th April, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers

A week ago I purchased my commission with the money my father left me, I am now in command of the 1st Anglian Fusiliers, a regiment of 220 men. I have been ordered to sail for France in order to harass their armies and weaken them bit by bit. I have also been ordered to capture any cities if possible.

Tuesday, 18th April, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers

I have set off for France, today my career begins.

Thursday, 20th April, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers

Glory! Glory for Britain! Mere days after my arrival in France I made a daring move towards Paris. To my amazement my gamble had payed off as I found Paris to be defended only by a garrison barely larger than my regiment. I decided that it was all or nothing and moved in for the kill as a wolf moves in on its prey. I would never have thought that my first engagement would be an assault on Paris.

We attacked at dawn, in an attempt to catch the defenders by surprise. Using a strategy of having one platoons fire while the other two advanced allowed us to make a rapid advance towards the city while overwhelming the enemy with superior firepower. This allowed us to score almost a hundred casualties on the enemy by the time we reached the defenses, I then sounded the charge and we crushed the remaining frog bastards.

I only wish my father could see me now,

Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers, conqueror of Paris

Early morning,Friday, 21st April, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers

Disaster has struck, I should have expected it, but it's too late now. Not even a day after my victory at Paris, an French force of 1,600 troops led by Napoleon himself arrived to liberate the city. I could have left, I could have avoided the disaster, but that would be cowardly. Instead, me and by 166 remaining troops decided that we would not give up without a fight. I positioned my men just behind the ridge of the defenses, like this we were able to cut down the French vanguard including the Emperor himself. We then charged the attackers and were able to push them out of the city, until the second wave arrived. My men fought valiantly, taking down 350 of the attackers, but there were just too many.

I am now travelling back to England, where I will attempt to rebuild my regiment. I have heard rumors that the King was so impressed by the bravery of the 1st Anglians that he has decided to make them a guard regiment. I guess I will have to find out. Whatever the future holds, I vow to avenge the men of the 1st Anglian Fusiliers.

Afternoon, Friday, 21st April, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers

Things are going from bad to worse, while travelling back to England I was ambushed by Dutch deserters. They captured me, however I was able to escape during the night. I hope this is the end of my misfortunes.

Dawn, Sunday, 23rd April 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Fusiliers

Oh Lord, hath thy forsaken me? Shortly after I escaped from the deserters I was captured by a Dutch patrol. I have once again managed to escape, but it seems they have taken me farther inland. I fear I may never see Old England ever again, and with that would go my chances of avenging my men.

Wednesday, 26th April, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards

Thank goodness I have reached London. I was once again attacked by deserters but I managed to fend them off with the help of six Brunswickers I encountered in a Dutch tavern.

The rumours were correct, I have met with His Majesty the King and he has decided to turn the 1st Anglians into a guard regiment. Tomorrow begins the long and arduous task of raising a regiment of 220 elite guardsmen. 1st Anglian Fusiliers, I will avenge you.

Wednesday, 17th May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards

I have finally rebuilt the 1st Anglians. With the help of two gentlemen I met during my travels, one 'Dandy' Donnel and an easterner by the name of Antoun Soliman, I have done the King's bidding and raised a regiment of 220 elite guardsmen. In a few days I will set for France once again, where I will avenge the men of the old regiment.

Friday, 18th May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
I have arrived in France, Paris will burn, and Napoleon will know fear.

Sunday, 21st May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Today I encountered a company of French troops under the command of Maréchal Bernadotte. They appeared to be preparing for an attack on English soil, so I decided that it would be wise to prevent such a thing. We defeated the French, taking minimal casualties and routing a large portion of their forces which we then hunted down and captured. During the battle I successfully captured a French Eagle, which I will carry with pride upon my return to England.

Monday, 29th May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
I am back in London, and it has been over a week since my last entry. The situation in France kept me on my toes every second of every day. Where to begin…

Shortly after my victory over Maréchal Bernadotte, I came across a company of French cavalry under the command of some frog bastard whose name escapes me. We engaged them and I was able to cut down their charge with a well-timed volley, we then charged and dispatched the remaining riders. We captured two eagles.

A few days later I came across an old enemy from Paris, Ney, marshal of France and Napoleon’s little favourite. I decided it was time to avenge the men of the 1st Anglian Fusiliers and engaged him in combat. Although we were outnumbered, the men of the 1st Anglian Foot Guards stood fast and after a long and bloody struggle, we had defeated Maréchal Ney. We captured three eagles.

We were returning back to Britain to recruit new troops to replace those that had fallen when I came across yet another French general, he had obviously suffered a defeat recently as his force was only composed of 70 or so men, the battle was over almost as soon as it had begun. We captured two eagles.

I am resting in London, tomorrow I will bring the captured eagles to the military depot, where I expect the officers will be pleasantly surprised.

Monday, 29th May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Barely minutes after writing my previous entry, one of my men came running up to me reporting that a joint force of French and Bavarian troops had landed near Norwich and were headed for London. He informed me that several of our generals had already moved in to block their advance and were holding them fifty miles outside London. However, I was informed that two other generals had outflanked our forces and were going to attack London from the north. I immediately mobilised my troops and we set out to save the capital. Fortunately the presence of the other British forces had scattered the enemy and I was able to attack the two generals one by one. Textbook victories, both of them. Hopefully now I will be able to rest and recuperate.

Tuesday, 30th May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
It seems that yesterday’s attack was France’s final push on Britain. This morning, Napoleon concluded a ceasefire with His Majesty’s Government. Long live England, long live the United Kingdom!

Now that peace has been established with France, our main objective is to repel any Dutch and Bavarian invasions. I believe our marshal has plans for a campaign in the Netherlands, but that has yet to be confirmed. For the time being I will replenish the ranks and carry out policing duties.

Tuesday, 30th May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Defeated a small company of Bavarian troops near Hartford, I was aided by a patrol. Light casualties, no dead.

Wednesday, 31st May, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
I have decided that it would be wise to invest part of my war winnings into a productive enterprise. I have chosen to set up my own Silk and Dye company, the Wolsley Dyeworks. I have currently bought land in London and Wilton, however I hope to expand to the rest of the country once I have the sufficient funds.

11 AM, Thursday, 1st June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
We have made peace with the Netherlands.

Saturday, 3rd June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
We go to war. The newly appointed marshal Beresford has called for a campaign, I believe we will be setting for the Confederation of the Rhine, it’s time to teach those Bavarian bastards a lesson.

Monday, 5th June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
This Beresford is a blundering fool, I knew gathering the army at Edinburgh was a foolish move. In our absence the Bavarian pigs have launched an invasion and have captured Sheffield, now Beresford has ordered me to scout around the city to make up for his own incompetence.

Wednesday, 7th June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
We have recaptured Sheffield, I chose not to participate. I am now scouting the surrounding area for any Bavarian troops.

Thursday, 8th June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
That incompetent fool Beresford has put an end to the campaign, apparently content with our total lack of progress. He has returned to Scotland where I hope he will choke on a kilt.

Tuesday, 13th June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
I have been made Earl of Nottingham by his Majesty the King. It is with great honour that I accepted the title. I have already commissioned the construction of a mill which should provide the village with greater revenue. I also have plans for a school, a manor, and possibly a watchtower should the need arise.

Thursday, 15th June 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
The half-wit Beresford called for another campaign today, the rendez-vous point was once again outside Edinburgh. Britain is fortunate that I decided not to go, for a few hours after receiving Beresford’s message another Bavarian invasion force arrived in East Anglia. I was fortunate enough to have four other generals in the area: General Rober Crauford, Sir Rowland Hill, Sir James Kempt, and Sir George Murray. Together we were able to repel the invasion and the Bavarians are currently in full retreat. I am beginning to think that Beresford is in league with the Rheinbund.

Saturday, 17th June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
The king has awarded Liverpool to Beresford, the swine doesn’t deserve it.

Wednesday, 21st June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Wolsley Dyeworks has expanded and is now in Cardiff and Wales. Next I hope to expand to Scotland, and then to Ireland.

Friday, 23rd June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
I have been posted to East Anglia to keep an eye out for any hostile forces; quite a fitting post for the 1st Anglians.
So far all we have seen are trade caravans and farmers, but I have a feeling we will soon be seeing action.

Friday, 23rd June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham and Eckington, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
The king must favour me, for I have been made earl of Eckington. I suppose he was impressed by my short but successful time in France.

Wednesday, 28th June, 1809; Friday, 23rd June, 1809; War diary of Maj. Alexander Wolsley, Earl of Nottingham and Eckington, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Today I was surprised to learn that peace had been made with the Confederation of the Rhine, a week ago. Apparently the government had neglected to inform me. They were lucky I didn’t take it upon myself to lead an attack on the Rheinbund, Lord know what trouble that would have stirred.

I suppose this means peace, at least for now. We are still in a state of war with the Italian States, however they appear to be too preoccupied dealing with Austria’s increasingly successful military campaigns. I have put in a request to be posted to the Polish front as a military attaché with the Russian army.

British Expeditionary Force, Log Book
Thursday, 29th June, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
My request has been accepted; the 1st Anglians are to set sail for St. Petersburg within the hour from where I have been given the right to lead my men however I see fit. Our force is to be called the British Expeditionary Force, and the government of Russia has agreed to let me purchase goods from their cities and station my men within their walls. I shall write as soon as I arrive in St. Petersburg.

7AM, Tuesday, 4th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
We have arrived in St. Petersburg and not a moment too soon, another day and we’d be facing starvation.

Thursday, 6th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Arrived in Grodno. Russia suffering of food shortages. No enemy encountered.

Friday, 7th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Arrived on the Polish border.

Scouts have located two parties:

• 1st Party: Numbering over 400, presumed to be under the command of Ksiaze August I Possibility of engagement; unlikely.
• 2nd Party: Numbering around 50, presumed to be under the command of Antoni Sulkowski Possibility of engagement: highly probable

Engaged General Sulkowski:

Casualties:
- B.E.F: 1 dead, 2 wounded
- Enemy: 37 dead, 19 captured, 3 missing

8AM, Saturday, 8th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Engaged Polish cavalry company under command of General Poniatowski.

Casualties:
- B.E.F: 4 dead, 11 wounded
- Enemy: 81 dead, 7 captured, 13 missing

2PM, Saturday, 8th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Engaged Polish infantry company under command of General Fiszer.

Casualties:
- B.E.F: 10 dead, 15 wounded
- Enemy: 68 killed, 40 captured, 18 missing

Sunday, 9th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Have enlisted the aid of 14 Brunswick Fusiliers to compensate for our losses.

6AM, Monday, 10th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
Have been engaged by Ksiaze August I, outnumbered 2 to 1, God be with us.

Casualties:
- B.E.F: 31 dead, 37 wounded
- Enemy: 363 killed, 50 captured, 109 missing
- Prisoners of importance: Ksiaze August I, leader of Poland.

Monday, 10th July, 1809; B.E.F logbook, Maj. Alexander Wolsley, 1st Anglian Foot Guards
It seems my time in Poland has come to an end. Despite being a short campaign, it has proven to be a successful one. I have assessed that we have done enough to severely cripple the Polish war effort. I will be returning to Britain in a day’s time with Ksiaze August I as my prisoner. Upon my arrival I will deliver my report to King George himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Kermit, we trust - War Diary, Pieter Van Valkmulder

The Diary of Pieter Van Valkmulder. Day 40.

We've been called back to the mainland after we heard news of a truce between Holland and the British Isles. I plan on leading my men over to the Osterreich front, to help the Polish with their war against the Vienna menace. However, I had a quick stop at the Military Depot for my promotion to Lieutenant. I now lead 130 brave Huzaren (Huzaars?) against our enemies. I get resupplied with food and drink and head off for Poland.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 56.

I have arrived in Poland, The place is a mess. Poznan; their last city, is unbearable and the streets are ridden with rat and lice. Many have left in search of better pastures. Those whom stayed have largely resorted to crime in order to put food on the table. The Austrian patrols are now right on the border of the city, and I have taken out 4 so far without any casualties. I hope I have made a good decision in helping our Polish friends.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 60.

The siege on Poznan has begun. My company will meet the menace outside of the gates, where we are better suited. They have already begun bombarding the city, and the citizens are in distress. The remaining lords who haven't deserted the nation are nowhere to be found; the cowards have abandoned their country! How dishounourable, that they would forsake the oath they swore to their nation. God help us.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 65.

The day is ours! We have sucessfully defended Poznan, and driven back the Vienna fools! Albeit I have lost allot of souls to them, and I have many letters to write to their mothers and families. I never liked it; to notify someone that their own child has lost his life in the his duties, but it is needed. I will write again when something good happens.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 73.

Hah! My men and I have been drinking to our hearts content after the battle. Shortly after washing and getting my equipment, I gathered my men and made plans to head to Warsaw. I am planning on laying siege to the Polish capital, in hopes of liberating it from the Austrian menace. I have gathered some local troops to aid with our battle. So far, I have encountered very little patrol or resistance.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 74.

I have arrived at the walls and I have layed siege to the capital. My men are busy at work building the proper equipment, and I have retreated to my quarters for a few hours of rest and drink. With proper planning, we will come out of this battle with little casualties, and victory. Some of my troops have reported a company on the move consisting of 45 men, so I am little worried.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 74(cont.)

Our siegeworks are completed, and we have assaulted the walls. I will be joining my men soon. Truely, I am quite worried. My men have yet to face a battle like this, and I will regret if we lose many. I have heard many screams and the sounds of artillery. The Polish have come to my aid, a local commander whom still has morals and values his oath to his country. I will write again, hopefully if I am still alive.

The Diary of Pieter van Valkmulder. Day 76.

After a hardy day of battle, we have won! Warsaw is under property of the King Louis (Lodewijk for those who aren't Dutch.) for the moment. I will be reinforcing the garrison of the city with local recruits from the country. I hear cheers outside as many crowd my troops whom are weary, and have no need for thanks. My reports have come back, and I have lost 50 men. Sad, really. But they swore an oath to the crown, and they fulfilled it. Now I must catch some rest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MaccaUK - War Diary, Captain William Campbell, Commanding Officer, 44th East Essex Regiment of Foot, Grenadier Company
10th April, 1809 - I traveled to London, the Capital City of the United Kingdom. English from birth, I had traveled all around Great Britain to see the major cities and landmarks. If I recall correctly, it was around 1PM in the afternoon as I was walking through the streets of London. I noticed a man in uniform standing on the side of the road so I approached him and asked who he was. Turned out the rude man in question was a recruiter for the British Army. I decided to enlist right away for King and Country! I joined as the standard rank of Private, so I set out to the military depot to collect my weapons and brand-spanking new uniform.

11th April, 1809 - I had been in the British Army for merely a day, so I decided it was time to gather some companions. I went around the South-East of England searching for military recruits. I now had 23 new recruits under my arm which I needed to train if I wanted to get anywhere within the army. They were trained, and now Grenadiers! Later on that day, I was traveling around when I encountered a group of bandits. I couldn't let them get away from me so I decided to pursue them and hunt them down to bring justice. Engaging in combat, my men and I completely slaughtered the buggers! I was awarded a promotion to Sergeant and headed to the depot to pick up my newly issued Sergeant's uniform.

16th April, 1809 - Now I had enough money to buy a commission. I purchased the rank of Captain, leading my own Company in the 44th East Essex Regiment of Foot. My Company was now 55 men strong, consisting of 50 Grenadiers and 5 Riflemen. I am now awaiting orders from high command on what to do next.

22nd April, 1809 - It's happened, the frogs have invaded! I was immediately dispatched to support the defense of Britain and was ordered to report to the Duke of Wellington (Sir Arthur Wellesley). Once I arrived I was immediately engaged on a ferocious battle between my army and the Frenchies. I beat them in the end, but 11 good soldiers payed the ultimate price. The shores of Britain are once again safe.

[/center]

Date: May, 14th

I joined the British army as a 95th Rifles, Pvt. Later that day I seen my first battle, it was very horrible indeed. The chosen man of the company got killed by a Frog voltiguer.

Date: June, 15th

About 1 month after my first battle, I received a letter from King George himself, thanking me for my efforts in the war, I was promoted to Chosen Man (Corparol).

Date: June, 16th

I was heading down to the Military Depot to get my new uniform, and speak to the officer... Until I was ambushed by bandits they ran out of the woods from both sides, the Rifles I had under my command immediately fired on them, we bearly managed to escape with our lives.

Date: June, 17th

Stripped of my rank. (Patched the mod)

Inzunza - War Diary, Esteban Inzunza

April 7th, 1809

It was suggested to me to keep a journal.  Not sure why.  No point in having this thing around, the only logical reason to have a journal is to be read.  And yet, many covet a journal or diary, to keep it close and safe at hand.  Perhaps even hiding it from foreign eyes.

Whatever the case to have a journal may be, I've finally succumb to writing in this blasted, empty book.  Might as well fill in the damn thing.

My name is Esteban Inzunza, and these are the words of a dreamer.  I've always been called a dreamer, at least by my mother.  Probably why she encouraged this journal in the first place before I left Spain.  After sitting on a petty boat that the captain keeps insisting is a "ship", I can often wonder why I left in the first place.  But, of course, I'm reminded of the ever imposing presence of the French.  I want to return, but as many of my kinsman arm themselves, I find myself in an attempt to arm myself with words rather than weaponry.

Thus, I find myself here.  Below deck of the world renowned "Adler Schrei" which means "Eagle Scream" or something to that regard, I'm told.  Perhaps a fearsome name, to be sure, but it's a privately owned over-glorified sloop.  And on this sloop, I head to the protestant land of Prussia.

Why not England?  Enemy of the French and ally of the Spanish?  Because they weren't always allies with the Spanish, having started a war over speculation by a man named "Jenkins."  My father hated the English (God rest his soul).  My brother hated them too (and God rest his, as well), before the Santissima Trinidad was captured by them and later SUNK by poor seamanship.  He died on the pride of Spain, but his pistol was able to be smuggled away by one of his crewmates.  Thank God for small favors, eh?

Then why not Austria?  They and France have always been fighting, and of course, Austria is a good Catholic nation.  Because they have been fools.  They pride themselves in a dying Empire, they perhaps could have beaten Napoleon if they had taken him seriously.  Besides, any discord I would hope to sew is already done.  Hopefully.

And thus, that leaves Prussia and Russia.  I don't think I'd manage well in the cold.  Besides, they seem a bit too barbaric for my tastes.  Thus, Prussia it is.  Besides, they have lost territory to Napoleon.  Thus, it would be a bit more easy to convince the Prussians (the proud heretics that they may be) to support another fray between themselves and Napoleon.  Who is to say?  Best I can do is to hope.  Or dream.  As I said, I am a dreamer.

April 8th, 1809

Well, the captain told me last night that we'd be in Stettin in the morning.  Maybe I was a fool to doubt him, but he was right.  In a way.  It was well past noon when we got there, but I am content enough to be off his damn boat.

I arrived to German rain.  It's cold, its dark, and I really miss the sun of Spain.  I'll be honest, I rather regret my choices up til now.  But, as bleak as it is, I can't exactly turn back now.  I've committed to this.  If it is to rain, then let it rain.  Glad to be out of it now.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be taking a carriage to Berlin.  It should take most the day, or at least that's what I'm told.  My coin purse is getting light, so if I fail I may end up staying here until I can afford to return to Spain.  So, I pray for my own success, the success of my comrades, and the reasoning of the Prussians.  Nothing is guaranteed.

2015-01-02_00003_zps03427922.jpg

April 9th, 1909

Well, at least I made it to Berlin.  That was my thinking.  I was a bit aggravated after the carriage got here.  It was cramped, bumpy, and still cold.  Really wishing I brought a heavier jacket.  I decided to get a room at the tavern and catch some sleep.

Unfortunately, I ended up bumping into some fool with something to prove.  Literally.  Perhaps if his ass were a bit thinner, I'd have passed by unnoticed.  Alas, it was not.  He spilled whatever alcohol he had upon himself, and rather than remain the charming Spaniard that I usually am, I became the bitter Spaniard my father was.  Maybe being cold and bitter is a Prussian thing.  Would explain why they're always so angry.

Needless to say, I told him off.  Not sure why, but he took offense to this.  Probably something I said concerning his mother and a full crew of sailors (probably still had that ship in mind).  He challenged me to a duel, I accepted, some strange German offered to help me in this circumstance, and now I sit here writing about how much I regret coming to Prussia.  Assuming he is as great as he drunkenly claimed, I'll be dead after only three journal entries.  Probably one of the better reads ever.  Glad I've done my mother proud.

April 10th, 1809

Well, that was easier than I expected.  I didn't expect them to let me use my father's sword, but they did.  I don't think he ever encountered Toledo steel before today, as he seemed rather surprised when I pushed the blade through his chest.  Or maybe I said something again that bothered him.  I don't know, and whatever the case may be, he can't exactly be asked either.

However, no good deed goes unpunished.  The man who "helped" me with the duel seems to be some sort of Customs Agent.  Apparently he was watching the gentleman I dispatched to an early grave for something or another, not sure what because I wasn't entirely attentive.  But, he says there is pay, intrigue, and women.  I needn't say what appealed to me, but I will anyways.  A near empty coin purse, a chance to meet with the superiors of Prussia, and a who could say no to the warm feel of a woman?  Especially since it's been raining almost nonstop.  At times, I wonder if I mistakenly made it to England.

April 11th, 1809

Took our time here.  He specifically waited for me.  We got in a quick gunfight with bandits, and then returned to Berlin.  And some good news, it was sunny today.  Thank God for small favors.

However, that's it for good news.  I tried to enter the palace directly, but the guards refused me entry.  I'm not important enough to bother the king in whatever he's doing.  I tried informing them that I worked with the Customs Agent, but they just looked as confused as I did.

Apparently, I'm rather ignorant of what a Customs Agent is.  For some reason, I was hoping he spoke to the king directly which would have been perfect.  Except the guards don't seem to think he is worth the kings time.  Or maybe he does but hasn't told the king about my interest for Prussia fighting France.  News arrived that Austria declared war on France yesterday, so I'm rather fortunate for guessing so.  Still, I think Austria would be best fitted if Prussia fought with them.  Who is to say?

I still need to figure out how to contact the king and appeal to him to wage war with France.  Though, I doubt they will.  As ignorant as I may be, it turns out Prussia is at war with Russia.  I'm a bit ashamed to not know this before heading to Berlin.  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

April 12th, 1809

I have to say I'm a bit discouraged today.  I enlisted in the Prussian army.  Maybe the military who owns a state would let a soldier see the king, though for some reason I doubt it.  I'm really hoping to be attached to an officer who knows someone who knows the king.  Or something, anything at this point.  Worse yet, there isn't any training.  They just gave me a uniform and now I'm a Prussian soldier, a musketeer of the line.

This wasn't exactly my plan.

Whatever the case may be, I'm in blue now.  I'll figure something out.

April 16th, 1809

Apologies for not writing more.  Been a long march.  I've been attached to Ernst von Rüchel's army, the marshal of the Prussian armies.  We've been raiding villages, in Russia between marches.  I asked not to be a part of this, as it reminds me too much of Spain.  My officer was kind enough to understand.  Besides, it's not an army they fight.  I'm no looter.  I'm barely a soldier.

But, such is life.  I'm here, outside of Grodno.  A Russian city.  The weather is damp, but it's not raining.  Tomorrow, we storm the walls.

My father lead men in battle against the English before.  I still have his sword by my side, but I am not my father.  My brother was a crewman on the Santissima Trinidad and he died fighting the English.  I can't help but think of my sibling's sacrifice.  And now, I'm fighting Russians.  This won't help Spain.  If I die or someone else dies by my hand, this won't help Spain at all.  Maybe I'll get by without doing too much fighting, but being a Musketeer of Prussia, I doubt this as well.

April 17th, 1809

I think I am a lucky man.  Maybe God is looking after me because he knows my intentions are just.  I did end up in the fray, but I was never in any real harm.  The regiment I am with suffered light casualties while inflicting quite the opposite on the Russian foe.  I may have shot one or two, but I'm not sure.  Hard to tell with all the smoke and yelling.

I'm tired, so this journal entry won't be too long.  I'm ready to sleep and not wake up until Russia makes peace with Prussia.

April 18th, 1809

How lucky am I really?  I ask this because now it is I who defends Grodno.  The Russian army is massive, they outnumber us by quite a bit.  I think about deserting, but I represent Spain.  Prussia is renowned for their pride in their military, I'll have to at least prove that Spaniards can hold their ground.  Maybe there will be survivors who'll talk about me if I die for Prussia.  Sympathies for Madrid in Berlin.

Here's to hoping.  Maybe I'll live long enough to regret my decision.  Again.

April 20th, 1809

I survived.  Not only did I survive, but I held my ground where many others have fallen.  My regiment is almost entirely shattered, but the Prussian army is sending more troops to reinforce.  I, however, am being sent to Berlin.  I've been promoted to Sergeant and I'm called a hero.  I'm hoping to meet the king.  Maybe also hoping to forget about the siege.  I must have killed 20 men?  Maybe 30?  I'm a better shot.  Had they charged, I doubt I would have been so fortunate.  But, then again, they were en mass and I was a single shooter.  A few charged but they fell to bayonet and sword.

A shame to say, though...  We all killed plenty of Russians.  We all stood our ground and fought heroically.  But, I'm the one who survived.  Thus, it will be my name that is spoken by the King's lips.  Maybe he'll be more keen to wage war against France.  Maybe I'll have to prove myself some more, try to become an officer.  I've made it this far.

God is with me.

2015-01-02_00002_zps3c90f5eb.jpg

April 22nd, 1809

I've finally been given a moment to talk with the King of Prussia.  He wasn't too keen on war with France just yet.  He politely reminded me of Prussia's failure to fend off Napoleon only three years earlier.  That's also ignoring the fact that Prussia is waging war against Russia as we spoke.

I'm not surprised by his answer.  After the siege and defense of Grodno happening well within a week, I doubt Russia will just roll over and accept peace.  I simply wish for Prussia to fight the French while some of their army is stuck in Spain and while Austria and Britain batter away at them when they can.  Still, the French are strong but they'll break.  Their allies aren't fairing too well, or at least the Poles aren't.  Austria managed to take Warsaw.  Warsaw, of course, used to be a part of Prussia.  So I'm rather concerned, hoping Prussia doesn't side with France against Austria.  Even if they don't side with France, they'll still be fighting a potential ally against France.

Recent events have been interesting, for lack of a better word.  I'm leaving for Grodno again tomorrow.  Hopefully this war will end soon.

April 24th, 1809

Russian activity in the area hasn't slowed down.  There is a bit of skirmishing between Prussians and Russians, with skirmish being the keyword.  The armies are small, hardly armies at this point.  More like regiments against regiments.  Considering my new rank, I've taken it upon myself to take a few men and help patrol the frontier.  About 20 total, with two cannons to help keep the enemies' numbers down while hopefully preventing ours from dropping as well.  I can't help but remind myself of Spain, how harsh times call for little wars.  Ambushes, sabotage, underhanded tactics.  Except, I'd be the French invader in this circumstance.  Not sure how I feel about this.

April 25th, 1809

I'm honestly surprised this strategy is working.  In a way, at least.  Apparently, Grodno is more a Lithuanian city than a Russian city, along with the nearby towns and villages.  I feel a bit ashamed for forgetting about Lithuanians, but it's easy to point at a map and say "That's Russia!  Invade it!"  I couldn't be more reminded of this than with an earlier skirmish between my 20 men, a Russian detachment of 80 men, and a bit of the populace from Szaly that the Russians figured they'd raid because why not?

My cannons got stuck in the mud so weren't able to be of much help during this encounter, but my few men that did make it fought very well.  However, the sheer numbers of the civilians still helped win the day.  Had it not been for their numbers and our experience and firepower, I do not think we would have been victorious.  The Russian general was captured but I ordered him to be let free in the hopes that he would appeal to the Tsar to end the war.

Looking back, he was rude and arrogant so I do not think he will.  But I can hope.

Regardless, after the battle the populous of Szaly was quite content with our actions.  An older gentleman even gifted me some sort of archaic battle axe.  I'm not sure how old it is or where it came from.  I insisted he keep the axe for himself, but he insisted harder and further and I eventually took the damn thing with a fake smile to shut him up.  I rather like the axe, to be honest.  A keepsake for the frontier I defend, eh?

April 30th, 1809

I've been patrolling the frontier for quite some time.  Usually I fight bandits or highwaymen, perhaps even some Lithuanian upstarts looking for their nation back.  The fights are quick and easy as it has become hard to ambush in broad daylight and we often enough see them before they see us.  Every now and then, we'll see Russians.  Usually caravans, sometimes regiments.  I don't like attacking caravans, even if it'd encourage a quick end to the war.  The regiments, I don't like to attack unless I know we have an advantage or they are attacking settlements or villagers.  And even then, I sometimes hesitate.

I did get in a larger battle earlier today at Glebokie.  More Russians than we fought at Szely, but the results were similar.  I did suffer some more direct casualties, losing several of my men.  However, the Russians were still repulsed and that's all I could ask for.

Not soon after the battle, a courier arrived looking for me.  It requested I join our Field Marshal in the Siege of Ostrog, a city further south of Grodno.  The letter also notified me that I was given an offer.  I was asked to join the Foot Guard of Prussia.

I became a Guard along with the rank of Lieutenant of the Great Prussian Army, defender of the King himself and a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.  Very prestigious, but hardly the plan I had set for myself.  This entire time, I thought I was lucky but Prussia thinks I'm actually an able fighter.  Time will tell who is right.  I left immediately as the sun began to fall in the west before setting up camp near Lida.  As I write this, I try to remind myself that I don't want to fight the Russians.  I'm also reminded that with rank comes more persuasion.  That and the Russians like to raid former towns and villages of Russia.

2015-01-03_00001_zpsf6356990.jpg

May 2nd, 1809

I met up with Ernst von Rüchel's main force not far from Ostrog.  In fact, we could see the city.  Even the defenders setting up stakes and barricades to defend their "Motherland."  I'm feeling confident.  I'm wearing a new jacket with silver bars on my collar and cuffs.  I couldn't help but feel superior when I put it on.

Still, this is setting up an important duty for me.  Tomorrow, we charge the city and I'm supposed to have my place on the field.  My heart skipped a beat when I was told this.  Apparently I'm a coward, but nobody told us (us being me and the ENTIRETY of Prussia).  I've made it this far.  Maybe I can make it a bit further.

May 3rd, 1809

Before the siege started, a regiment tried to join the defenders in the city.  I took my remaining men with me to try to cut them off.  Strangely enough it worked and they decided to return to wherever they came.

The day started well, but things can change quick when the battle actually begins.

The Siege began in light rain.  The sun was out, but it was still raining.  There have not been too many days without the rain in Eastern Europe, but at least there was sun today.  We all charged, myself behind General von Blücher.  It was a long run, and when we reached the battlements I was partially out of breath.  Maybe the run wasn't that far.  Maybe I just didn't want to be there, I don't know.

Whatever the case, I decided that I didn't want to stab anyone with a bayonet.  I hung back and shot into the Russians.  It seemed to work, too, as almost every shot ended with a fallen Russian.  I just kept firing my musket.  Before I knew it, it was only Prussians standing.  Our casualties were even less than Grodno.  I think I'll stay here for a while until the garrison is sorted out.

2015-01-03_00003_zps367737ee.jpg

May 5th, 1809

Well, the generals seem more keen to prepare Ostrog for a defense than they did at Grodno with nearly double the men they stationed there.  This is great for me because it means I can head back north and help keep Lithuania in line.  I'd hate to imagine the Russians raiding the towns and villages without me and my men there.

Besides, I'll be a lot better suited for the frontier now.  I stumbled upon a horse from Spain here in Ostrog.  It's a beautiful thing.  Looks fast, probably is fast.  It'll certainly help my feet from hurting.  I wonder if my men would mind if I rode it.

They might.  Especially after hearing that I've been promoted again.  I'm now a Captain in the Prussian Army.  I'm pretty sure Ernst von Rüchel has picked me to be his favorite.  Maybe von Blücher thought I heroically followed him far enough before I started shooting.

May 7th, 1809

I'm thankful for my new horse.  As was one of the Prussian Generals whose name I can't remember.  Probably von Something.  I found him at the losing end of a battle on my way north.  The odds were heavily in the Russian's favor, even if I joined.  But, I took a quick poll with my men asking if they wanted to help.

They all said no and I told them "Too bad, lets move."

Surprisingly, we didn't lose any of our men.  Our Prussian comrades, however, weren't so lucky but they were able to stand their ground.  The Russian foe was cut down, mostly.  A lot ended up fleeing the field.  I, however, was the only casualty for our warparty.  I was shot by a stray musket ball in the back as I rode through the Russians.  The thought occurred to me that it may have been a friendly musket ball, but the surgeon insists it wasn't.  If it wasn't for my pack that it had to go through, I'd probably be done for.

The surgeon suggested I take it easy for a few days.  Maybe I will.

2015-01-03_00006_zps5245fed5.jpg

May 10th, 1809

I've realized I'm lazy.  I realize this because I intentionally don't write in my journal on slow days.  But really, should I?  The Russians haven't been in these parts for a while, I'm told.  Usually, I'm too caught up in the hectic chaos that is the frontier.  But now?  I have too much time.  I'll have to promise myself to write something when something interesting happens.

May 15th, 1809

One of my men got drunk and shot a squirrel.  Not sure why but I couldn't stop laughing for an entire hour.

May 23rd, 1809

Apart from the occasional bandit, you won't see much on the frontier.  Any Russians we find, we harass, we go about our day.  We have suffered no casualties which is grand, but also nothing is happening in the world.  I often go to Grodno just to make sure nothing is happening like Prussia invading France finally.  Getting tired of Lithuania's countryside.  Everything was so action packed once.  I've been occasionally reading the stray book here and there to help pass the time.  It's easy to forget that the entire reason I am here is to help Spain.

Maybe Russia is preparing for a huge offensive.

May 26th, 1809

I meant PRUSSIA is preparing for a huge offensive.  Prussia always invades, after all.  Just not France.  I received word that I am needed to push into Belarus from Lithuania to help our NEW Field Marshal, Bogislav Tauentzien von Wittenberg (most renowned for easiest pronounceable name in the Prussian army) take Minsk.

I'm tired of offensives and defending these damn trees.  I just want Prussia to make peace so I can take my Spanish ass back to Berlin.  I'll ask about France later.

However, I have noticed something.  I've noticed I often get promoted for just showing up to these sieges.  So, with another promotion, I'll become Major.  Here's to hoping.

May 28th, 1809

Well, we're here.  The siegework is almost finished.  Not sure who I prefer, Ernst or Bogislav.  Both are equally ambitious, wanting to keep invading an enemy who should be an ally.  But, that is not my place to talk.  It's also not my place to talk about Ernst being openly supportive of the King of Prussia and secretly less so.  Honestly, I feel I respect Ernst for that.  He's not openly spewing slander about his Majesty, but he isn't blindly following him either.

Maybe I can convince Ernst to help push for peace.

May 29th, 1809

Minsk had far more men than at Ostrog.  At first, we were losing men by the handful.  But once we reached their fortifications, they fell just as easy as Ostrog.

Not sure why, but I think I can feel the exhaustion of the Russian people.  I'm growing sympathetic.  A stark irony considering what they were doing in Lithuania and what I thought then.  If peace doesn't happen soon, I may desert the army.  Go back to Spain.  Been saving my pay just in case I needed to.  Ah, well.

June 6th, 1809

The Battle of Lida will be a battle that will forever define me.  Two-hundred men against myself, fifteen of my own, and a battery of twelve pounders.  On the outskirts of Lida, we were met with all these men in open ground.  The General Nikolay something Russian and thus unpronounceable encouraged me to surrender.  I don't surrender.  If I did, I'd still be in Spain.  So I said something along the lines of his mother being a sultry wench who was able to take drinks like an entire row of sailors who purchased her those drinks and he seemed to be rather offended.  I'm never sure why.

I rode back to my men and told them that if they have any regrets, they should make peace with themselves and the good lord above.  It isn't my place to let them know that as protestants, they are soul-bound for hell anyways, but I'd prefer them to fight and die rather than run and die.

When the first cannon was fired, I charged.  Prior to the battle, I told the men who were on foot to take two shots and charge and the few on horses to stick with me.  We charged, headstrong expecting to be crushed quickly, but we weren't.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this.

Rather, they began to route.  They ran en mass, their quantity fearing us few.  It was strange.  Maybe it had something to do with the exhaustion of the Russian soldier.  Whatever the case, I took it and ordered a full charge and chased down as many as I could, hoping they won't decide to turn back and fight.  The general was captured, trampled underneath the boots of his own men, and I ordered his release as well as the release of another general who fought with him.

I watched as their army kept running through the forest, but I decided not to follow.  We lost six of our men in that fight, the fact that we survived is an act of God.

There was an old saying, from back when Spain was undefeated.  "God is Spanish."  Maybe he still is.

2015-01-03_00008_zpsd9d21f16.jpg
2015-01-03_00010_zpseaafc8aa.jpg

June 11th, 1809

After that victory, I was promoted to Major.  Not at the siege like I predicted, but I stopped caring well after.  It was so impressive, King Friedrich Wilhelm III held a ball in my honor.  All the Prussian noblewomen wanted to talk to me and kept referring to me as "The Spaniard."  It was odd as I suggested they just call me "Esteban."  Ernst, the gentleman that he is, overheard and told me they didn't call me that because I was Spanish but because the Russians call me that because I was Spanish.  They have been since my defense in the Lithuanian frontier, apparently.

I was surprised, and a bit honored.  I didn't think I was a fearsome person, I just didn't want the Russians to raid the settlements near Grodno.  My Prussian colleagues ended up joking how if every Spaniard was as tenacious as I was, that Napoleon's armies would soon be out of Spain.

Here's to hoping.  I ended up leaving early to sleep at a local tavern.

June 12th, 1809

I was rather embarrassed this morning.  At the ball, everyone was dressed as well as possible.  I was wearing my dirty blue uniform that had been stained with the grime of the Lithuanian forests.  No one seemed to mind, the Prussian Noblewomen in particular seemed to enjoy the 'ruggedness'.  However, I abide by my own standards.  It's been a couple months since I wore something that isn't a uniform.  So, I decided to spend some of my commission getting more formal attire should another ball arise.  Berlin didn't have exactly what I needed, so I decided to check all the tailors on my way from and too Lithuania.  Stettin will be my next stop.

June 13th, 1809

Bad idea.  I was ambushed in Stettin in front of the tailor's.  One of these scoundrels asked me at gunpoint if I was Esteban Inzunza, of which I politely informed him that he should ask his mother as I was in front of the entire row of sailors whom she had her ways with.

He seemed to take offense to my suggestion and it ended in a drawn out gunfight in the middle of the street, guardsmen surprisingly absent.  Fortunately for me, their shots were all over and it ended an hour later, all the while they cursed at me and insulted my name.  I ended up finding a large sum of francs on one of the bodies, so I feel I have to wonder who sent them.

Whatever the case, I decided to stop looking for new apparel in case I bump into more brigands.

June 24th, 1809

I saw the Tsar himself recently.  He had a rather large army with him, and I decided not to harass him in case he took offense and decided to feed me to a bear or something of that manner.  I did end up following him, to make sure he wasn't intending to push back into Prussia and her new found territories.  However, this is not the case.  He turned his force east and headed to Kiev right as he past Ostrog.  Wasted my time to be sure.

June 27th, 1809

I hate the English.  I don't mind the Scots or the Irish, but I hate the English.

May be random, to see all this about Eastern Europe only to find me complaining about the English.  But it's true.  Reason being, they made peace with their long time rivals, the French.  Possibly has something to do with Napoleon capturing Sir Arthur Wellesley, their best general.  Regardless, this leaves Spain and Portugal to fend for themselves.  England has always been a poor ally.  Look at the Dutch and how many ways they've been forsaken.  The Portuguese as well.  Spain could invade Portugal, and England won't respond.  However, a man named Jenkins claims to have his ear cut off and it's off to war!

My goal to get Prussia to fight France is a fleeting dream.  The war with Russia seems like it will only end with the destruction of the Russian nation.  I've seen a map before, I know that's a lot of nation to destroy.

June 30th, 1809

God is Spanish.  He must be.  England, the devils of bad weather, may have abandoned Spain but Prussia and Russia have finally made peace.  I'm so glad to hear this.  Austria has almost annexed the entirety of Poland and is still waging war with France and her puppets.  Maybe Prussia will join soon.  I know it will be a lot easier to convince the king now that the war has ended, and I know for a fact that the Prussian generals LOVE invading their neighbors.  Not far now.

If France falls too quickly, maybe I'll push for the invasion of England.  Play it by year.

9d6d8fa76f40051f9b95d8898ff05842.png

a9843b11b8e64d866fe2cb8ebb078442.png

65151758b50e979c1d38e07881da1008.png

e884282a776fc136cc3a7c6695b31173.png

656df64d524453a9eb1177e5315139d9.png

03c36286b100d0e6f51039255ad076bb.png

f0a2182267fe49b5500e9f7f797c81b4.png
[/spoiler]

Don't remember dates but here goes (I'm 60 days into current game)

first few days were spent on various errands for french lords. Collected a bounty for napoleon... then spent days training the peasants of that village to defend themselves against bandits so they'd like me and I could recruit from them.

I then promptly joined up as a french voltiguer... had a rude awakening at the hands of a group of deserters as to how difficult it would be to be successful as a light infantry captain.

So I disbanded my chasseurs a pied, threw down my m1777  fusil and bought meself a shiny new carbine and a steed to match. Recruited some chevaux-legers and currently me and my 30 trusty chasseurs a chevaux d'elites are wreaking havoc on Austrian caravans in the name of france  :grin:

Six days into Jozef's carrier and the Austrians already march on his birthplace of Warsaw. The Volitgeur holds his ground:

34AAB3BCEBAC42248C6225CF4998C5B8AB954154

7440D0A0E104C77C1FCB1F82CA2FF39745F4ADA2

*looking out from the window on the rainy street below*

*lighting a small candle then rub gently and slowly a leathery notebook then open it with empty pages*

*take last sip from a wine glass then putting it gently to stand empty near the lighted candel*

"my dear juan.."
"i reached paris this morning.."
"was called a scum by a local frensh guard for no reason as i tiped my hat to him"
"so french of him..."
"after a short wandering around paris i knew where will be my next destination.."
"the local tavern that is.."
"i found a clean looking one this one had no rats or dirty french ....ladies.. but good wine indeed.."
"i can say i officialy fund of french wines from now..."
"i dont have much plans ahead of me..just waiting for my officer position in the spanish army would be procced and then i will come back home.."
"oh my beloved spain...madrid...my juan..."
"in the meantime i think i would offer myself to the french here to train thair troops..adlist entill my commanding post in spain would be ready"
'bot the day is still young..and theres some nice french ladies down there in the tavern i wanna know better.."
"some of the locals promised me this fine ladies are clean and most gentle then the ones in the dirty poor brothel street.."

"p.s ... the rumors of eating peasent simple bread is true... it dose make us nobles constipated...stick to the fluffy white bread we nobles eat... i swear..i did not relived my bowels for 4 days.."

"your brother.."
"francisco"

The journey of Richard Edwards through the merciless Napoleonic Wars...

Driving by patriotism, I got out of my usual routine of drinking at the pub with a few of my mates, and joined the glorious British army. I traveled to the recruitment officer, and spoke to recruiter, who was quite rude at first. He called me names, and spit on my peasant shoes, but after signing my life away to Britain, he smiled at me, then told me to go bug off, as I was just cannon-fodder. That didn't give me much hope.
I was given an Indian Service Musket, standard issue of the British army, and met up with my captain's company. It was a large one, about 92 men, of all kinds. Line, lights, cavalry, and two 12 pounders.
The men of the regiment weren't very nice either. They didn't seem to like fresh meat. I was denied to play cards with my fellow detachment, and spent the first few days sitting by myself, writing letters home, to my beautiful wife, and my old friends. Then i got disturbing news. We were going to France the next morning, and were told to pack our bags. That night, the camp was quite, except for the crackles of the fire pit, made by a few Welshmen. We all knew what was coming the next morning. We all prayed, knowing the majority of us would die. But I didn't pray. I knew i would survive, somehow...
But things went worse than planned. Our ship convoy, consisting for a few transportation frigates, was intercepted by a fleet of French Capital ships. We all panicked, loading the cannons and grabbing our muskets. Our few cannons were nothing compared to the massive pounders the French boats were carrying. In a single volley i saw the three frigates behind us explode, and simply disappeared into the dark sea. Then my ship was hit. I don't remember vividly what happen, but I can recall hearing a loud, very loud booming noise, before being flown up into the ear and thrown into the cold ocean. I could barley move, or feel my body. The last thing I remember seeing was British men being burned alive on the quickly sinking ship in front of me, while the ear-piercing volleys of the French Marin's echoed in the background. Then it all went black...
I thought i was dead, sure of it. How could i be alive? But somehow, I was. I woke up on a beach, along with many other British troops. I looked up, and saw men in black uniforms pulling me and some other troops off of the beach and into a military camp.
"Prussians." I thought. "Bloody Prussians saved me."
I could barley speak, as I thanked the Prussian soldier dragging me. He looked young, like a boy, really. He told me to can it, and I shouldn't talk, my injuries were too bad. I looked down at my body, and noticed that my stomach drenched in blood. What the hell happened to me?
I got fixed up in the military camp off the shore, and was told I would be moving out with the rest of my regiment in about a week. What great news that was...
Then i heard gunshots in the distance...

Henry Evans

First Move: Acting Customs Officer (Tutorial)

Second Move: Collected King Georges taxes

Third Move: Accepted to be a mercenary for King George

Fourth Move: Raided French Villages

Fifth Move: Sold loot

Sixth Move: Realised that UK Troops deal only 4p damage and went and replaced them with Prussians

Seventh Move: Defeated French Armies

Eighth Move: Bought a 6 Pounder Cannon

Ninth Move: Assisted in the Conquering of Liege

Tenth Move: Awarded Town "Dfronbrelee" (? - I think thats the name)

Eleventh Move: Patched British Musket Damage

Twelfth Move: Re-Supplied with British Troops

Logged Off (01/01/2015)

War Diary of Mister Adrian Huxley, the son of a soldier and more British than the Union Jack.

Monday, 10th April, 1809:

Joined the British Army, hoping to lead my own line infantry company.

Wednesday, 12th April, 1809:

Our first engagement, we defeat a small band of pirates near Canterbury, we lost one man. However the pirates offered some decent loot and I was able to recruit more men.

Friday, 14th April, 1809:

Troops begin training; I have found a nice training field which offers some rather strange training equipment, but no matter, it'll whip the men into shape.

Saturday, 15th April, 1809:

Successfully hunted down a band of deserters, we managed to defeat them without losing any men.

Friday, 21st April, 1809:

I have managed to collect enough funds to purchase two 6 pounders, hopefully they'll make a difference.

Thursday, 27th April, 1809

The glory! My company has successfully crushed a French company while patrolling around Wales.

Monday, 1st May, 1809

Another victory! We managed to hunt down and wipe out a roaming band of French cavalry.

Sunday, 7th May, 1809

More glory for me! The war seems to be going in my favour, I have yet again defended this Island against the French menace, I think I may be due for a promotion.

Monday, 8th May, 1809

Huzzah! I was right, my exploits have earned me the rank of sergeant, I now sport a nice uniform and have been given command of a company of 105 men.

I might post more some other time but now I need some sleep. I'm attaching a screenshot of Sgt. Adrian Huxley, it may or may not work.

filedetails

It is clear night, me and company are resting in Prag, A 800 man Bavarian army is approaching no time to escape. We manned the wall and watched our fate charge at us. It was my company of 100 Royal Highlanders and 100 Foot Guard Fusiliers and the 120 Austrian city guards versus the army of 800 from the Rhine. We are holding the walls, men are falling and powder and shot are running low I estimate there are between 400 and 500 Bavarian's left. Our colors have fallen and it is my duty to retrieve them if this is out last stand, do not forget the 200

-Colonel Samuel Benedict

It has been about a month since the slaughter at Prag I still dont know how I made it out , sadly I was the only one who did, I have since rebuilt my Company but I am still haunted by the memories of my old one. The campaign has been moving slowly since then but we were just given the task of of burning the villages and hunting down the small armies that patrol North-West France, of course my Scottish Highlanders did most of the looting and burning. I fear we will soon be ordered to take Nantes, if the king wants it so bad why cant he just take it himself.

-Colonel Samuel Benedict

The French have pushed us out of their land and have entered ours, in a matter of days they have chased our armies north, they don's have any interest in taking our towns or cities they just want to kill our fighting forces. I was checking on the town of Reading when we were leaving we were ambushed in the forest north of Wilton by a force of 700 French infantry and cavalry. The fighting in the woods was long and brutal after the last French wave we tallied the losses we lost 70 men and had 90 injured the French took around 200 casualties and there were 500 poised to attack us again, I wasted no time moving north to link with a party of 7 commanders. I fear for my country.

-Colonel Samuel Benedict

We have successfully pushed the French out of Britain only to be greeted by an invasion from Holland although the Dutch must have overestimated their power and we cut through them with ease a few days after we pushed the last Dutch army into the sea we were ordered to make a move on Amsterdam. We successfully captured the poorly guarded city, from there we marched to Poznan where we helped our friends from the Osterreich finish off the Polish, But it was not all good news. We were celebrating our streak of victory when we received news from a messenger that the French had captured Gronigen, Hanovre, and Rome. I know this war is going to keep getting harder and longer

-Colonel Samuel Benedict

We received the worst today, the French  are moving on London with more than 1200 men. We are currently in Prag finishing off the last Polish armies with some of our allies from the Osterreich. We are packing now but I have much doubt we will make it to London in time even with the 50 wagons that the General in charge of Prag gifted to us. I hope this isnt the end.

-Colonel Samuel Benedict

BY GOD! We have been saved, then French up and left their siege camp in the middle of the night, apparently after we left the the Osterreich sent a force to attack Paris to get the French to run the cities defense and leave London, damn those Austrians are some brave idiots, but they seem to be our only real friend in all of Europe. The king has cancelled all foreign military campaign for the time being allowing us to prepare for assaults that will happen in the future

-Colonel Samuel Benedict

Diary of Alexander Russell:

April 10th, 1809 (Early Morning); Enlisted in His Majesty's Armed forces. I assigned to the 5th Battalion of the 60th Foot. I received my uniform, an odd green coat with red facings. The bastards are yet to issue me a proper rifle, so I am stuck with a standard-issue musket. Not as accurate, but a round is a round.

April 10th, 1809 (Afternoon); Apparently the Russell name still holds some merit, even if we aren't in Wales anymore. I reported to the military depot and met my Regimental Colonel. Once he found out which family I hailed from he gave me an immediate promotion to Sergeant. I promised father I would make the name proud but... I have a feeling he'll want more than these new stripes on my arms and this red sash. At least now I've been given some gloves, my damned hands were freezing in this God-forsaken rain

April 11th, 1809 (Morning); Orders from the Colonel are for me to train new recruits of the battalion. These idiots are the worst shots I've seen in a long time. Even the damned Irish could manage better marksman than this. Still... they are my men. I will see what I can do, give them some practice shooting and so on.

April 10th, 1809 (Dusk); Massive Highwayman band was spotted outside of London. My detachment has ordered to wipe them out. It's damned insanity, sending green troops to do what the Yeomanry or the Fencibles should be handling. Alas, I will take my six recruits into battle. Maybe they'll earn those rifles.

April 10th, 1809 (Dusk); We won, barely. Daniels and Turner both took rounds though. Daniels should be fine but... Turner didn't make it. I'm going to be helping the regiment take the fallen to their villages for burial. Turner was from Birmingham, apparently he was a Catholic. I wonder how his family will take their son being lead to his death by a Methodist like myself.

April 11th, 1809 (Early Morning); The Company has been ordered to march with Sir John Hope. Apparently we are going to invade the Dutch. My men still haven't earned their coats but... they seem excited. They all seem eager to fight some actual soldiers. This Hope character... I don't trust him. My father told me that there are two kinds of officers in this army, killing officers, and murdering ones. This bastard has the eyes of a murdering officer if I've ever seen one. He has command of an army, yet I can smell that he wants... more. I'll write again tonight once we get into the boat. Here's to hoping the Marines don't get drunk and start a fight with us Armymen.

April 11th, 1809 (Midnight); We were caught in a naval engagement. Damned Dutch had a squadron of ships ready to cut us off. We managed to boat them, though it didn't end well. Battle seemed to have ended in a draw. All of my men... they're either dead or wounded. We can't find Richards, one of the Sailors said they saw him get shot and fall into the ocean. Another solider who won't get a proper burial.

April 12th, 1809 (Early Morning); I've been given new orders, I am to be detached to the Second Battalion of the 95th. Apparently one of their old Sergeants got drunk and ended up getting arrested in the streets of London. I'm to be issued a new uniform but... I think that I will keep this one. These red faces have grown on me. I've bid the Colonel farewell, he said he'll put in a good word to get me promoted. God knows if I'll deserve it.

April 17th, 1809 (Early Morning); They're... the French. They're in England. They're attacking Cardiff! None of the Generals are around, we don't have enough men to hold the city! Lieutenant Colonel Norcott has me gathering souls across the countryside for an upcoming battle, farmhands and pedantics who've never held a weapon in their hands their entire lives. This battle... it will be the end of me.

April 18th, 1809 (Noon); Reinforcements have finally arrived. Still, we're outnumbered by the French and outmatch in quality. I've never seen this many boys scared out of their mind. I caught a few of the Chosen Men planning to flee while they still had the chance. It took a bit of convincing (And a lot of beating), but I was able to make them hold their ground. Damn bastards know how to throw a punch though, I think I lost a tooth. We march out to meet the enemy in an hour. Here's to hoping we survive this day.

April 18th, 1809 (Late Night); We... won. WE WON! The French are running! Their eagles are in our grasp! We even captured their Marshal! Michel Ney... an odd one. He looks and acts more like a common soldier than an Officer. But the man has a high sense of honor. I saw him get carted off by the Provosts, his only request was that someone gave him a bottle to drink so he could forget this mess. My detachment survived, minimum casualties thank God. No one died, the only person who was wounded was me. Damned French Hussar jumped at me off of his horse, slammed my head against the ground and knocked me straight out. My men were able to get him though, apparently he has a nice new hole where his stupid frog ear used to be.

April 20th, 1809 (Late Night); Perhaps we fought a bit... too well. Hope caught on to my antics during the siege, and I've been given special orders to scout out Holland for the oncoming invasion. I hate this damned country, everything's wet and annoying. After this I'm going to ask for some leave. See the family in Cardiff, ask my father if I can borrow some money to get my hands on an officer's commission so I can stop having to take orders from this idiot.

April 24th, 1809 (Morning); After a few days' leave, I returned to Lieutenant Colonel Norcott. Word had spread to him about Hope 'appropriating' my services without notifying him first. When I went into his office I thought the man was going to murder me, I've never seen an officer as livid as he was. He chewed me out for a good fifteen minutes before his rage finally subsided. I'm going to head down the mess hall, see if I can get some food before meeting my detachment again.

April 24th, 1809 (Early Afternoon); I had a pleasant surprise today as I walked out to meet the men. Norcott was waiting infront of them, all of them had quite a... pleased look about them. I asked him why everyone was so giddy and screamed at them to act like proper soldiers in-front of their Sergeant. Norcott cut me off, however, and told me that I wasn't their Sergeant anymore. At this point the entire formation started laughing and I gave him an inquisitive look. I asked him if I had been demoted, and he responded with 'even worse.' It was then he handed me a new arm patch, this one had four chevrons instead of three. Norcott turned to face the men and gave them the order to salute their new Sergeant Major. The company is going to head down to London to celebrate. None of us are going to make it out of that city in once piece I swear.

April 24th, 1809 (Midnight); The French have besiged London. We got word after we were in the pub for an hour. The lads are panicked out of their mind. The Captain ordered me to start setting up the entrenchments outside. God help us all.

I will put these on the front and regularly update them. You can PM me, or you can continue posting in the thread :smile:

Back
Top Bottom