Want to read a BOOK? Like VIKING CONQUEST? Come here!

Users who are viewing this thread

I hope I don't have the dates wrong, but if I remember correctly the next Book in the Series 'Warriors of the Storm' will be released on 8th October and shortly after the first season of the BBC America series, sometime around the 12th or so.
Altough I'm not as hyped for that anymore after I saw all the small trailer stuff. So many historical inaccuracies. :mad:

GiipaGips said:
One of my relative's work:

thelongships2.jpg.png

Read it in swedish like 4 years ago. Really gud.

Oh, so "Röde Orm" is also available in English! At least the original was a very good read, very entertaining. Highly recommended, but of course I'm not familiar with the English translation.

I've read both Röde Orm (i.e. "the longships") and  Domen över död man : en vikingaroman baserad på historiska fakta från den tidigaste vikingatiden och Nordens födelse about ten years ago in Swedish to maintain some (albeit very low) level of literacy in Swedish - it's a long time since I've learned Swedish in school. The latter was also a worthwhile read, but afaik only available in Swedish.

We all seem to agree that Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles are great fun.

And last, but not least: the sagas themselves are full of interesting stuff also!

Faenwulf said:
I hope I don't have the dates wrong, but if I remember correctly the next Book in the Series 'Warriors of the Storm' will be released on 8th October and shortly after the first season of the BBC America series, sometime around the 12th or so.
Altough I'm not as hyped for that anymore after I saw all the small trailer stuff. So many historical inaccuracies. :mad:
but its like 14 seconds long :eek:

Lohi i'm curious about how the Vikings are potrayed in a Swedish novel.. savages or noble warrior poets? maybe some liberal spin with an emphasis on supposed greater (relative) womens rights? hmm

No, there are several: http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-last-kingdom/
Sadly, they don't work if you're not from America. :sad: (Like for me...)

But you can find several of them uploaded by other people to youtube if you search the names of the trailers.

harpred said:
Lohi i'm curious about how the Vikings are potrayed in a Swedish novel.. savages or noble warrior poets? maybe some liberal spin with an emphasis on supposed greater (relative) womens rights? hmm

Neither "noble poets" nor "savages". The protagonists were portrayed more like "self-made" men, attaining their status due to their own ability - determined and able to overcome their disadvantageous beginnings, brave and resourceful but with with a sense of justice, loyal to their friends and so in return worth their loyalty.

Röde Orm (the longships) is an rather old novel (I think it was from the forties), so the portrayal of women is still very old fashioned. It is now of course known that viking women had much more active role, not only as the ones who were in charge over the viking homes, their slaves and servants etc. while the men were on raids but also as warriors/settlers in their own right.  I don't remember  how women were portrayed in Anders Leopold's "Domen över död man" (a much younger book) so I guess the female characters were not very interesting there either.

I see

Anyway I swear the book is just like the game

(Minus ham tun having a port :wink: )

“But he had persuaded me to join his fleet, and I had promised him a year, and here I was in Hamtun, which was a fine port at “the head of a long arm of the sea. Alfred had ordered twelve ships made, and their maker was a shipwright who had been an oarsman on a Danish boat before escaping in Frankia and making his way back to England. There was not much about ship fighting that he did not know, and nothing I could teach anyone, but ship fighting is a very simple affair. A ship is a scrap of land afloat. So a ship fight is a land fight at sea. Bang your boat alongside the enemy, make a shield wall, and kill the other crew.”

Excerpt From: Cornwell, Bernard. “The Last Kingdom.” HarperCollins,

mike56 said:
I've never understood the need for an audiobook.

too many words, it hurts the eyes

jk aside it is nice to listen while driving/on a bus, if you are waiting on a line, etc. Just like people enjoy listening to music or radio/podcasts shows.

but I agree on the basic point: reading a book >>> audiobook

mike56 said:
Rarilmar said:
Audiobook version comes on 29 November... FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

I've never understood the need for an audiobook.
When you have 500+ hours in M&B u get tired of the sounds so muting game and hearing a book is better :grin: Also at work if you're job permits it it's the best! :grin:

read the book this weekend

51KgJrnABqL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

surprise surprise, it is not the end (damn Bernard pulled another Sharpe on us)

story is still fun, but too short... again. Somehow tho he still had to create magical problems to push the story to 300 pages,

Sharpe will come back... errr I mean, Uhtred will come back

Back
Top Bottom