SP Dark Ages Viking Invasion of Scotland and Ireland (potentially more)

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthony

Knight
My idea is for a modification that features Scotland and Ireland at least, perhaps more, involving the Gaels, Norse/Danes, and Picts, and perhaps the remaining Britons and the Anglo-Saxons. Gameplay wouldn't be too much different; mostly focused on warbands duking it out, though a few major armies would be wheeling about, though they'd hopefully be too powerful a player controlled warband to engage alone.

The player would play the part of a chief or minor noble, cavorting around Ireland and Britain, raising a warband to combat the invader (or aide them, if they're allies of the Dublin/Manx Norse).

Appearance would be accurate, just to note now. No kilts. Instead, the Irish and Dal Riadans would wear long shirts with a padded coat, robes with chain or scale, and tunics with tight trousers (all of which can be skinned onto meshes already in game). Modelling would mostly be for some weapons (mostly various axes and swords) and helmets. Included on some helmets would be brat for Gaels and some Picts. A brat is a shoulder cloak, either leather or decorated with plaid. It's not protective, but a sign of status and kept them warm. It's very short, not long enough to interfere with animations.

Factions, for simplicities sake, would likely just be Gaels, Picts, Norse, and Anglo-Saxons, though Picts may be ditched in favor of Britons (or combined with Britons maybe).

I know it may not be terribly popular, but I find the region and period interesting, with events like the battle of Clontarf and such, and it just lends itself so well to the M&B style of small warbands fighting it out. Also, the historical look of all factions in the region and period is just so bad ass, and the small unit combat is great for the kind of 'hero' focus the game has, especially with the focus on heroes each culture has.

Alright;

Progress wise, there are some weapon meshes done, a shield mesh. Done by Logan, who's doing 3D modelling, and some texturing

Still need some one who can actually put stuff in game.

No, but I think it can be scripted that one could be transported by visiting port cities. It'd be 'teleporting' I suppose, but we'd use it to represent transport by ship. Go to port, pay a cost to transport to some other port.

That'd be nice. I've gotten handle of little. All I've done is editted weapons and soldiers and such before, but really I'm not much good with it, and doubt this idea will attract much attention.

i think it will actually, it's undeniable that this is an interesting period, i don't care who you are! :wink:

and there are a lot of people with gaelic/norse blood in'em!

It'd be nice to get a hand on Norse, and there'd have to be at least some Anglo-Saxons and Britons (the lowlands would have them in Lothian, and Britons still inhabitted Strathclyde and Galwyddel).

Inauspicious start, joy.

However, it is nice to plan. Trying to think of how soldiers would develop currently for the different factions. Would want some nice variety and all.

Actually, the javelins already in would probably work as darts; they're not really that complex, and the javelins in game are so short. I'd rather put in some actual throwing spears, because actual soldiers preferred those (darts were more in the realm of the levies).

kerns mainly used darts, right?

i'm curious as to a lot of the specifics of the soldiers, you know any credible websites? or books to buy? (there's a border's near where i live, woot)

It's a bit foggy. There are some generalizations. I should note that Gaels didn't actually call them kerns (that's a medieval English term for Gaelic irregular soldiers). The ceithernaght/catharnaght are just light infantry, levies, irregulars, archers, etc. Anything made up of soldiers who don't recieve normal pay and have little/no training. They're usually servants of actual soldiers.

The bonnachts (paid soldiers; 'billetmen') hadn't quite formed yet under that name as far as we know, but there was a regular soldier body, which would be pretty much the same thing, divided between various regulars serving different purposes. They'd probably carry throwing spears instead of darts.

weren't bonnachts scottish mercenaries that the irish cheiftans would often hire to fight for them?

or am i confused? (happens a lot, no i'm not blonde)

No, that's gallowglass, they were Gaelo-Norse soldiers from the Hebrides (which wouldn't exist in the time this mod is set). Bonnacht just means 'billet-man', meaning he's a paid soldier. They were the core of Gaelic armies in the middle ages, and presumably an equivalent body was the core of earlier armies. They would be supported by cathernaght in varying roles (archers, slings, irregular screening infantry/skirmishers, etc.). There'd also be nobles/aristocratic warriors and champions, but they are augmentary, and don't form any main bodies of the army (except guards of a king perhaps, but a king himself fought in the line, and his guards augmented the infantry usually).

if i remember correctly, didn't the gaels not use bows, only throwing spears? though the welsh used bows (original creators of the longbow), and they were gaelic...

The Welsh are most certainly not Gaelic. They are Britons. Dyfedd had a Gaelic aristocracy, but was still composed of Britons; that's the closest Wales ever got to being 'Gaelic'. Totally different people, with entirely different cultures that are only thinly related due to Celtic ancestry (and Ireland is only in part Celtic; a lot of influences created the Gaelic culture).

Gaels used plenty of bows, but they didn't have any regular archers until the middle ages. They hired a lot of mercenary bowmen though, and levied together warbands with bows sometimes, but none of their archers would be that great (they'd actually be pretty poor quality).

I find it's a mistake commonly made, but not sure why. I think people seem to think Celts were all one closely related group of people, but 'Celtic' is a superculture, with many barely related cultures within it, and some cultures that are 'almost' but not quite actually Celts (like Celtiberians; they're not actually Celts, but are related culturally due to Celtic influences). The old Gaels are barely Celtic; different style of dress, language was heavily antiquated, and they had so many native and Iberian or Aquitanian influences as to have become substantially different than what Gauls or Britons were like.

That said, some Gaelic culture was introduced to Wales due to the conquest of Dyfedd and many Gaelic nobles, but not nearly enough to ever call them Gaelic. They maintained a very British culture, which eventually was a lot closer to Norman than it was Gaelic, by the high middle ages. They were pretty culturally distinct even from other Britons though due to their constant wars with the Anglo-Saxons and introduction of a lot of little things that made them different than the Britons in the north (which were a lot closer to the pre-Roman Britons than the Welsh were, except maybe for Welsh hillmen and such).

Also, I don't know how helpful VI would be. They messed up the Irish pretty bad in it. Though perhaps they got the Norse better, since that was the focus of the expansion. And any help would be appreciated. I've been kind of messing around with things myself for a while, seeing what looks right and all. Determining which armor meshes I can actually use to get the Gaels to look right (the Norse will be a lot easier, but a few armors, properly skinned, will do the Gaels fine). Beyond that, modelling is really just needed for some helmets I suppose (though I'd rather focus on getting a few brat in game, they'd use the helmet slot and occassionally accompany a helmet), and weaponry. Shields should be fine, just needs skinning. A lot of skinning really.

Back
Top Bottom