Viking Conquest issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alakeram said:
Germanic Celt said:
Utfred said:
Throwing spears i can deal with because vikings actually used throwing spears and axes back in their era, but never has a viking used a SPEAR to fight with

Use of thrustin spears by norsemen is mentionned several times in Sagas. It has also been proven many times by archeological founds.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_spear.htm

It's actually hard to find a people on earth that never used spears for warfare. Its cheap, intuitive in the making and very deadly.

Man, someone actually said that? I feel sorry for the Vikings then, they'd have had a hard time fighting pesky Cavalry.

Okay well i should of said Never used it in a duel, which is true, of course they used spears on cavalry but have you ever seen a viking fighting/dueling on-foot combat? i have not, they would more likely slam a axe through someones head then cheaply poke at someone... when i said NEVER seen a viking fight i meant in a duel/on-foot combat

I wasn't aware you are able to watch Vikings from over 1000 years ago in combat. Personally I'd rather just jab out my spear to stop a horse then attempt to time a perfect axe swing. There's no reason that Vikings wouldn't use spears, just because of how cheap and generally effective in formations (most importantly a shieldwall) they were. You also need to keep it in mind that the Vikings were Germanic, and spears were one of the most common/favoured weapons in Germanic culture.

JuJu70 said:
Hanz Ex said:
kalarhan said:
Hanz Ex said:
Hi,
I have a problem with :
my companions Helgi and Ceawlin are imprisoned in Cippanhamm. If I remember correctly - its because I sent them on mission "Improve my relation with a settlement".
And I can´t get them out.  Any dialog  option appeared  when I tried talk to them and I had to restart the game.

savegame?
Hi, uploaded here : http://uloz.to/x9bckgzx/sg00-zip

Thank you. It is fixed now. In the mean time you can try to go to a tavern find a traveler and try to ransom your companion.

Does that mean sending our companion will actually improve our relations with the place or that he'll simply wont get stuck as a prisoner ?

No that means you can try to free him from prison now instead of waiting for a patch to come  :grin:

Germanic Celt said:
Alakeram said:
Germanic Celt said:
Utfred said:
Throwing spears i can deal with because vikings actually used throwing spears and axes back in their era, but never has a viking used a SPEAR to fight with

Use of thrustin spears by norsemen is mentionned several times in Sagas. It has also been proven many times by archeological founds.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_spear.htm

It's actually hard to find a people on earth that never used spears for warfare. Its cheap, intuitive in the making and very deadly.

Man, someone actually said that? I feel sorry for the Vikings then, they'd have had a hard time fighting pesky Cavalry.

Okay well i should of said Never used it in a duel, which is true, of course they used spears on cavalry but have you ever seen a viking fighting/dueling on-foot combat? i have not, they would more likely slam a axe through someones head then cheaply poke at someone... when i said NEVER seen a viking fight i meant in a duel/on-foot combat

I wasn't aware you are able to watch Vikings from over 1000 years ago in combat. Personally I'd rather just jab out my spear to stop a horse then attempt to time a perfect axe swing. There's no reason that Vikings wouldn't use spears, just because of how cheap and generally effective in formations (most importantly a shieldwall) they were. You also need to keep it in mind that the Vikings were Germanic, and spears were one of the most common/favoured weapons in Germanic culture.

Not to mention the huge amount of spear heads that are obviously too big for throwing spears found in graves. Often together with warrior weapons like axes and swords.

That out of the way, I have a small problem. I just bought VC yesterday and I've enjoyed it greatly so far. The problem I have is that the game is a bit unstable, meaning it seems to have very rapid fps break downs and just as rapid recovery of the frame rate, while I'm using my ship. I noticed (or at least think I noticed) that it often happens when I am close to shore and new landing points keep popping up. It makes for less than smooth ship rides to plunder Britain.
Nothing that stops me from playing and enjoying the game, but it is kind of annoying none the less. Can't or shouldn't be my PC since it is a fairly good one.

Version I use is 1.04; bought from gog.

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Wheem said:
Edit2: Not sure if this is already known, but since blunt damage no longer guarantees a knockout, the "Capture Spy" mission given by lords in their city is a big gamble; there's a very high chance that one or both of the necessary NPCs will be killed instead of knocked unconscious. I don't expect blunt damage to be changed to what it was in native across the board, but maybe these particular NPCs should always be a knockout, or at least have a higher than normal chance of knockout over death?

Hi Wheem,
Can you provide us the version you have? Those bugs look like 1.03. Did you load a savegame before receiving the mission? If you did that, try to load a previous savegame.
Updating on this a little: I found another capture-the-spy mission in my story campaign, and experimented with it several times. When running through the mission legitimately, I was never able to capture both of the necessary NPCs; one or both always died, even when I personally took them out via blunt damage. However, when I started running the mission with cheat-killing everything, I noticed that if my in-hand weapon is a club, the knockout rate is 100% (including vs other bandits that aren't quest related). With any other weapon - including Fustibalus, which is obviously blunt damage like clubs are - deaths are significantly higher than knockouts when cheating.

In an effort to get around the potential issue with "loading a savegame before receiving the mission," I started a new sandbox game while using cheats from the start (which I don't do with my "real" campaign unless I'm just testing things). However, even after doing other lord quests + waiting around in cities for about a month of in-game time, I wasn't able to find a spy mission. I'm not sure if that's just bad luck, or if there's any criteria that I'm missing (the lord must be inside his city I know, but do you need some level of relations with either he or the settlement? or maybe I needed to run some non-lord missions for that to show up?)

-----------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else been experiencing the issue with ships changing their wood-type when left in a port overnight? My original post on it from a few pages ago:
Wheem said:
The #5 position ship in my fleet changes the type of wood that it's made out of if I leave it in a port overnight (either staying at sea or leaving it on the beach seems fine, with no apparent issues). I first noticed this when one of my Snekkja downgraded itself from Oak to Ash, so I started experimenting a bit, and discovered that the bug seems to only affect the #5 ship slot in the fleet, no matter what ship is in said position.

Thinking that this could be an issue with my particular save(s) being screwy, I started up a brand new Story Campaign to test it out. As soon as the initial Woden Ric battle was over, I cheated myself a lot of gold, and teleported around between Lundenwic, Dorestad, and Ribe, buying up a total of 6 ships, then repaired them all and started waiting in the port at Ribe. Sure enough, my #5 ship (starting out as a Pine Skeid) downgraded itself to Ash, then upgraded to Oak after waiting another day or two. I wasn't familiar enough with this particular fleet to be 100% sure that none of the other ships changed as well, but I think they all remained the same.
After playing with the previously mentioned sandbox game, it seems to me that this issue is limited to story campaigns. I'm just wondering if anyone else is noticing it, or if there is indeed something up with my install (though I did reinstall the game with a 1.153 full version of Warband, which was then patched to 1.167 + VC installed).

On another note, I have a screenshot that illustrates two issues (which may already have been reported actually, I think I mentioned the army texture issue a while back, anyway):
Those groups of raiders (and there are 3 more of them just off screen to the east) seem to be indefinitely stuck, unless I come along with my fleet and cause them to start fleeing from me. I've seen this happen in northern Ireland as well, up around Aileach (the raiders that end up a bit west of the city appear to get stuck for a long time, and possibly forever without player intervention, but ships that get caught closer to the city seem to get moving again before too long, due to traders and what not getting their attention).

On another note, I have a screenshot that illustrates two issues (which may already have been reported actually, I think I mentioned the army texture issue a while back, anyway):

do you by chance have an AMD/ATI card?
I wasn't able to find a spy mission. I'm not sure if that's just bad luck, or if there's any criteria that I'm missing (the lord must be inside his city I know, but do you need some level of relations with either he or the settlement? or maybe I needed to run some non-lord missions for that to show up?)

AFAIK, it's the same as Native:
1. no homage
2. level at least 10
3. tracking of party is 3+
4. lord is not goodnatured

Wheem said:
Those groups of raiders (and there are 3 more of them just off screen to the east) seem to be indefinitely stuck, unless I come along with my fleet and cause them to start fleeing from me. I've seen this happen in northern Ireland as well, up around Aileach (the raiders that end up a bit west of the city appear to get stuck for a long time, and possibly forever without player intervention, but ships that get caught closer to the city seem to get moving again before too long, due to traders and what not getting their attention).

do you have a savegame? This should be fixed with 1.04, it is strange you are still seeing it.

JuJu70 said:

do you by chance have an AMD/ATI card?
Yes, 2gb version of HD6870.

JuJu70 said:
AFAIK, it's the same as Native:
1. no homage
2. level at least 10
3. tracking of party is 3+
4. lord is not goodnatured
Ahhh, #3 was my problem. After increasing tracking I was able to get the spy quest, and went ahead and tried it some more (in old saves and brand new games alike). Honestly, it feels like the death rate is much too high for that quest to be worthwhile, unless the player wants to save/load for some favorable randomness. If the spy's handler dies, you take a pretty hefty -10 relations hit with the quest giver, and it just doesn't seem like the risk is worth it.

Phaiak said:
Wheem said:
Hi Wheem,
thats very strange. Could you upload this savegame?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_0LpF50z6BwX1FVZExzbC16OHM/view?usp=sharing

Edit: I'm near Ribe in this save, rather than the part of the Scottish coast shown in the screenshot, but the raider ships are in the same place. On another note, if you stick around near Ribe for a little, there's a fairly decent chance of one of Danmark's "Sea Kings" coming onto land (with their boat icon) and fleeing from nearby enemy lords, which is something that I saw someone else report a while back. In my experience, the Sea Kings don't usually stay on land for all that long though, and make their way back out to sea as soon as the coast is clear (pun intended). Just figured I'd mention it in case a save would help with that issue.

kalarhan said:
do you have a savegame? This should be fixed with 1.04, it is strange you are still seeing it.
I seem to be encountering some weird issues that no one else is getting (or at least not noticing?) My rgl_log appears to have the correct version numbers, and I have other things from 1.04 (1h/2h axes and such), though there are 3 lines near the end of the log that may represent an issue? They are:
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME PRESENTATION CODE:  prsnt_game_escape
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME SCRIPT CODE:  game_check_party_sees_party
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME SCRIPT CODE:  game_missile_launch

I am now a King (at last  :grin: )and having terrible times with my vassals, all of them becoming crazy unhappy after I give lands to any lords (-14 relations in some cases). Holding feasts doesnt really help since only friendly vassals attend to these and it's hard to watch every lord's back while they are campaignin.

I guess the VC system is no different from Native in that regard but I'd just like to know if there is a way to grant land without pissin every one off. Any advice welcome.

There is no avoiding some relations hit when granting a fief. The best you can do is ask them who do they think deserve it the most and see if there is some kind of consensus. If you give it to somebody they support, you won´t get a decrease with them.

Utfred said:
I am now a King (at last  :grin: )and having terrible times with my vassals, all of them becoming crazy unhappy after I give lands to any lords (-14 relations in some cases). Holding feasts doesnt really help since only friendly vassals attend to these and it's hard to watch every lord's back while they are campaignin.

I guess the VC system is no different from Native in that regard but I'd just like to know if there is a way to grant land without pissin every one off. Any advice welcome.

you can recruit the nobles that love land and power more easily, but they tend to complain about everything.
or you can work to recruit the ones with good reputation and personality, which will be much harder as they don't like to break oaths in the first place.

kalarhan said:
Utfred said:

you can recruit the nobles that love land and power more easily, but they tend to complain about everything.
or you can work to recruit the ones with good reputation and personality, which will be much harder as they don't like to break oaths in the first place.

That seems indeed to be it since I only have a bunch of "debauched" and "quarrelsome" lords. Still you need these guys badly when forming a Kingdom since knighting companions too often pushes other lords away (If i'm not mistaken ?). And as you said the nice and honorable guys won't join you unless exceptionnal situation emerges. Would love to see additional ways of smoothing relations at some point cause right now I'm ruling over the happyland of Complainia  :lol:

I know you probably already have a lot on your hands though so I'm gonna have to deal with it.

PS : Thanx for the advice Articulo, i'll try to minimize my feudal nightmare that way even though my lords are all pretty far from each other.

Utfred said:
That seems indeed to be it since I only have a bunch of "debauched" and "quarrelsome" lords.
Feasts are a good way to work relations with them. You can even use the opportunity to ask who should get what as they will be in the same room  :mrgreen:

You know... court life, intrigues, all that hehe

Articulo34 said:
kalarhan said:
You know... court life, intrigues, all that hehe
I think an axe on the back of the whiniest lord should be enough to calm the others down. Actually, I demand that feature!

And I totally back that demand :grin:

More seriously from my experience it seems that lords with 0- relations don't come to your parties. Am i wrong ?

Wheem said:
Phaiak said:
Wheem said:
Hi Wheem,
thats very strange. Could you upload this savegame?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_0LpF50z6BwX1FVZExzbC16OHM/view?usp=sharing
Thank you Wheem! Its fixed now for the next version.

And also this one which was very special:
Wheem said:
Wheem said:
The #5 position ship in my fleet changes the type of wood that it's made out of if I leave it in a port overnight (either staying at sea or leaving it on the beach seems fine, with no apparent issues). I first noticed this when one of my Snekkja downgraded itself from Oak to Ash, so I started experimenting a bit, and discovered that the bug seems to only affect the #5 ship slot in the fleet, no matter what ship is in said position.

Thinking that this could be an issue with my particular save(s) being screwy, I started up a brand new Story Campaign to test it out. As soon as the initial Woden Ric battle was over, I cheated myself a lot of gold, and teleported around between Lundenwic, Dorestad, and Ribe, buying up a total of 6 ships, then repaired them all and started waiting in the port at Ribe. Sure enough, my #5 ship (starting out as a Pine Skeid) downgraded itself to Ash, then upgraded to Oak after waiting another day or two. I wasn't familiar enough with this particular fleet to be 100% sure that none of the other ships changed as well, but I think they all remained the same.
After playing with the previously mentioned sandbox game, it seems to me that this issue is limited to story campaigns. I'm just wondering if anyone else is noticing it, or if there is indeed something up with my install (though I did reinstall the game with a 1.153 full version of Warband, which was then patched to 1.167 + VC installed).

My Issues with VC so far:

Shipbattles:
Busse: Boarding transistion is buggy, you hardly ever get back, probably because of the height difference. Makes boarding/fighting multiple vessels quite tricky, as many guys will get stuck especially when you fight rollo styl :grin:.
Snejkka / Skeid: Both vessels are too narrow, especially on the skeid its a pain in the ass to move to your desired position, I would recommend to make both models a little wider, so you can walk through without a fight everytime. 

Siege:
Sieges are engaging too quickly, I actually do miss the hardcore mode from Brytenwalda, but here it is the oposite problem, you hardly have the time to reach the besieged settlement to relief it.

Story:
Danemark declares war on Northumbria while the story is not completed. Happened to me twice. Not sure if there is a way to prevent this from happening as its probably hardcoded.

TYR said:
Shipbattles:
Busse: Boarding transistion is buggy, you hardly ever get back, probably because of the height difference. Makes boarding/fighting multiple vessels quite tricky, as many guys will get stuck especially when you fight rollo styl :grin:.
Snejkka / Skeid: Both vessels are too narrow, especially on the skeid its a pain in the ass to move to your desired position, I would recommend to make both models a little wider, so you can walk through without a fight everytime. 
Hi TYR,
thank you for the report. I will check the Busse boarding transistion. Snejkka and Skeid are even more narrow in reality. We already made them significantly wider. Ingame thats the disadvantage of this ships in comparison to the Karvi, which is slower in return.

Is there a place where finding gothi among prisoners is relatively common? I accidentally ordered the only one I had to charge against some Elite Danish Vikings and lets just say Thor didn´t help him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom