VÍGVELLIR – make and show your own maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Its weird, whenever I try to make a map, the object adder list gets cut off from my screen... anyone know how to fix this? And no it wont let me resize it.

You could try using a different resolution to start the game with, but the editing window is not easily come by. As I probably mentioned in an earlier post for me too, the vertex colouring for the ground mesh is out of reach too and one just can't move the window up. What resolution are you playing with? If its very low it could be that the editing window is just "too big". Unfortunately in my case changing the resolution doesn't help much either, but you should still try.

Here is a beta version of my map which I will call "Dal Chugach" I don't speak Swedish so I used a online translator for this but it should mean "Valley of Chugach." Basicly this map is based of a generic valley in my favorite mountain range, the Chugach mountains of Alaska. One side starts at the mouth of the valley, and another at the end. One thing I hope to improve on is getting the sun over the mountains and into the valley because currently the darkness and lack of shadows makes it look a bit depressing.

t5hf8k.jpg

This is the view from the mouth of the valley looking in.
w2brdt.jpg

Here is a view of the mouth of the valley and the lake in the middle of the valley.
1jp34j.jpg

This is team 2's spawn at the end of the valley. However it is not meant to be a defensive structure
1zwnbwg.jpg

this is a mini camp on a mountain, simply for looks, you cannot reach this point (or get far up any of the mountains)
zqvpw.jpg

this is the path that winds through the valley and serves for a guide to show the teams where to fight

So, check it out and tell me what you think.  :wink:

So I started working again on my Terp. I really have some problems filling up all the spaces so any ideas are welcome. I was supposed to be a much more crowded map.
Overview
mb18f.jpg

Graveyard
scaled.php

Acre
scaled.php

Fishing hut
scaled.php

sotijalo said:
It lacks stones

There is no stone in Frisia unfortunately. So I can't use stone buildings except for the church (which were made of stone quite early)

hrotha said:
I wouldn't name any Víkingr map after a valley in Alaska. :razz:

This. "Dal Chugach" would, for the record, mean "Valley Chugach". A more accurate translation would be "Chugachdalen", (dalen being the definite form of dal, which means valley).

Furthermore, I don't quite understand why you chose to use modern Swedish. If I were you, I would ask Hrotha or Eadric - very nicely, mind you - for help with the name.

I do like the look of the map, though, aside from the very awkward angle on the runestone. Keep it up!

Hengwulf said:
sotijalo said:
It lacks stones

There is no stone in Frisia unfortunately. So I can't use stone buildings except for the church (which were made of stone quite early)

Ya maybe I've just some addiction to stones as 3 km thick ice mass f*cked all land/sand/dirt/ground to somewhere else...

Aklis said:
hrotha said:

This. "Dal Chugach" would, for the record, mean "Valley Chugach". A more accurate translation would be "Chugachdalen", (dalen being the definite form of dal, which means valley).
If I were you, I would ask Hrotha or Eadric - very nicely, mind you - for help with the name.

I do like the look of the map, though, aside from the very awkward angle on the runestone. Keep it up!

I ended up deleting the runestone and making changes that others suggested. I still can't figure out how to get the sun over the mountains without deleting the mountains. Also, I only based it of the Chugach was because they were formed in a similar  the same way as the fjords of Scandinavia so I thought it would be easier to base it off of something I had seen than on google pictures, but I can always change the name later.

Aklis said:
hrotha said:

Furthermore, I don't quite understand why you chose to use modern Swedish. If I were you, I would ask Hrotha or Eadric - very nicely, mind you - for help with the name.

Modelling a map after a landscape in Alaska is one thing, using its Eskimo name is another. I would suggest transforming it completely to an Old Norse name, by using a similar sounding Old Norse word for Chugath and simply translating Valley.

In which case I would come up with something like Skuggadalr, which means 'Shadow Valley'.

Éadríc said:
In which case I would come up with something like Skuggadalr, which means 'Shadow Valley'.

Then by all means, Skuggadalr shall be the name of my map  :grin:! You guys wouldn't happen to know how to change the position of the sun would you?

Back
Top Bottom