VÍGVELLIR – make and show your own maps

Users who are viewing this thread

My map so far:

mymap4.png

mymap3.png

mymap2.png

mymap1.png

Pretty HC to make completely paved streets in a village. Good lookin' otherwise. Where did you plan the spawn points?

Gwyrdh said:
SeGierdweg.png
Éalá everyone! This is my first time map making, I'm sure it's probably not that good, or that suited to a Víkingr environment, however, I would like to see if this is any good and I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions, comments or criticisms of the map! If you could think of any way in which I could improve it then I would be really thankful to you! The theme of the map is simply a road in the English countryside. There are a few features, like a church - which is there for show, and is out of the map edge - and a little house on the track. Perhaps this could be an area of fighting. Hopefully the map is capable of various options for fighting, either side of or on the road for example. Anyway, here it is.

Definitely not finished, it still needs a lot of work before it is. But if anyone can give me a poke in the right direction that'd be appreciated! Thanks!

It looks promising indeed, although Eadric might complain about copyright infringement regarding the walled ways^^
In general I would recommend all of you to be careful with those broad-leafed trees, as they can easily slow down the game for people with older PCs and might cause problems especially when seen up close.

For the next patch I have been trying around with a modular system of tree parts that can be combined by the mappers, so that they could be kept quite simple and yet fulfill exactly the purpose they are needed for, without taking too much computing power.

Another idea would be to allow for some alternative routes in the map, similar to the church that you already placed. Did you plan to have both factions start at one side of the main road each?

Also I recommend taking a look at some of the scene props that start with the mp_ or the pbv_ (for polished buildings - vikingr) names. Especially the latter could be a nice alternative to the rather bland native houses.

Tis a pleasure to see quite a few people making maps! For first timers you are doing very well already. If I may make some suggestions:

Odrán,

That small bridge you have is not connected to any path, on the island or on the mainland, while I would expect it to. Also, it looks a bit artificial the way the trees on your map are placed as a one-tree thick ring around the settlement, as if it’s a designed park. Perhaps it would look more natural if you’d have clusters of trees and shrubs instead. And maybe some shrubbery along the banks might be nice. You can even lower the small trees into the ground (by holding down T and moving your mouse) and so use them as shrubs.

Léodfriþ,

I wonder whether country roads would actually be paved (like that or at all) in that day and age. Also, your paved road texture ‘leaks’ to the other side of the stone walls in some places. And I feel like I’m missing a strong point of (visual and/or tactical) orientation, overall, so that your map gets overtaken by the (never good looking) outer terrain. I hope that makes sense. (Love how you gave your map a name like that, by the way!)

Puncky,

I think you are using too many styles of houses. It might be better to cut it down to one or two styles. Either way, the large Viking buildings are a bit too large compared to the other buildings. And I’m not sure about that (relatively high) stone wall around the bigger settlement. A wooden fence would fit it much better.

I understand about the path, something I was going to fix later! About the visual/tactical orientation, what do you mean? Could you elabourate?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The stone wall was made so that everything wasnt made of wood and I was thinking about only using a few buildings but it became a bit too boring. Thanks for the feedback though. Do you know how do make the entry points work?

sotijalo said:
Pretty HC to make completely paved streets in a village. Good lookin' otherwise. Where did you plan the spawn points?

The paved street is only at the center of the village (At the "keep"). The spawn points are meant to be at a camp like you see on the last screenshot in the right corner (There is a similar one at the other side of the map)

Gwyrdh said:
I understand about the path, something I was going to fix later! About the visual/tactical orientation, what do you mean? Could you elabourate?

Well, the fact is that the outer terrains of Víkingr are ugly. Since we map makers can't change much about that, we have three options: 1. to have a strong visual centre, something striking, to distract us from that ugly outer terrain; 2. to block that outer terrain from view, even if only in part, by placing one's own hills before it or some such; 3. to make the map large enough so that the outer terrain is rather far off and not very distracting.

Your map has lovely elements, but I think no real visual centre, while it is small and has the ugly outer terrain so near by. The result is that your small (and in itself fine) map seems to be like a small island in the large ocean that is the ugly outer terrain.

Puncky1000 said:
The stone wall was made so that everything wasnt made of wood and I was thinking about only using a few buildings but it became a bit too boring. Thanks for the feedback though. Do you know how do make the entry points work?

If you are running the map in battle mode then you should just check whether the number you added for the entry points are actually set in the right field. You can easily see which number they currently have if you look at the list of placed items, they should show up as entry point 0 and 32 there. It could be that they show as 1 and 2 or so, in which case you changed the number in the wrong line (something that happens to me quite frequently too^^).

To my understanding stone buildings in general were still quite rare at this point, and many of them were inspired or based on old roman ruins. Maybe if you hint some more extensive wall outlines reaching up to the tower ruin at the map edge, the setting would be more fitting for this time.

Éadríc said:
Gwyrdh said:

Well, the fact is that the outer terrains of Víkingr are ugly. Since we map makers can't change much about that, we have three options: 1. to have a strong visual centre, something striking, to distract us from that ugly outer terrain; 2. to block that outer terrain from view, even if only in part, by placing one's own hills before it or some such; 3. to make the map large enough so that the outer terrain is rather far off and not very distracting.

Your map has lovely elements, but I think no real visual centre, while it is small and has the ugly outer terrain so near by. The result is that your small (and in itself fine) map seems to be like a small island in the large ocean that is the ugly outer terrain.
After writing the technical guide to map making, you should go on by sharing that kind of info with the rest of us. General tips, small design tricks, which map elements have a significant impact on performance, etc. It would be pretty useful for us newbies. :smile:

Also, I have a suggestion: a special monthly, bi-monthly or whatever small semi-event where players would volunteer and come together to playtest these maps, because hopefully we'll have plenty to choose from.

Moeckerkalfie said:
Puncky1000 said:

If you are running the map in battle mode then you should just check whether the number you added for the entry points are actually set in the right field. You can easily see which number they currently have if you look at the list of placed items, they should show up as entry point 0 and 32 there. It could be that they show as 1 and 2 or so, in which case you changed the number in the wrong line (something that happens to me quite frequently too^^).

To my understanding stone buildings in general were still quite rare at this point, and many of them were inspired or based on old roman ruins. Maybe if you hint some more extensive wall outlines reaching up to the tower ruin at the map edge, the setting would be more fitting for this time.

Yea okay, I might try and change the village wall. Thanks  :wink:

Éadríc said:
Odrán,

That small bridge you have is not connected to any path, on the island or on the mainland, while I would expect it to. Also, it looks a bit artificial the way the trees on your map are placed as a one-tree thick ring around the settlement, as if it’s a designed park. Perhaps it would look more natural if you’d have clusters of trees and shrubs instead. And maybe some shrubbery along the banks might be nice. You can even lower the small trees into the ground (by holding down T and moving your mouse) and so use them as shrubs.

Thanks for the extensive input, I really appreciate it, I'm going to apply it as soon as I'm back in to the editor.

SeGierdweg.png
Here's the latest update, I've relocated the church from an off the map bit of scenery to a new central focal point, and an alternative location for fighting too hopefully! I have actually blocked the church up so you can't enter, a lot has to be done before it finished. I'll furnish the church and I will also add spawn points, and then any polishing that needs doing and it ought to be done. Please, give me any suggestions you have!

The map is finished! I hope, or at least the very first version is done! Let's call this... Alpha 0.1, shall we? Anyway, I haven't bothered to update the screenshots since it's very similar, I just polished and edited a few things on the final version of the map. So I'll but the scene code thing and the map file below. It replaces Hastings, since I don't know how to add a new map of my own. :sad:

Code:
scn_hastings hastings 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 200.000000 200.000000 -100.000000 0x00000003314005000003d0f400000008000039af00003b3a
 outer_terrain_plain_hills

Well, I've done a bit of work with the forest, but I think there may have previously been a misunderstanding (I could be wrong though), however, I forgot to mention that the map is meant to be small and should remain around the small island area and that's why there was really that kind of 'one ring' aspect so that it didn't use up as much resources and because I didn't intend for players to walk there. However, I have two versions of the map, one with the forest properly developed and one with the previous format.

Here's a few screenshots:

NitNg.jpg

nwiP0.jpg

zCqlB.jpg

Cheers again.

STARik said:
BapKing said:
Well, I've done a bit of work with the forest, ...

I wonder how hard will that amount of trees lag on lesser machines.
I wonder the same, but you see, the map is meant to be small, so I was left with a big space which looked disgusting for spectators or from certain angles for players and had to fill it with those trees unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom