Using smithing mechanics to exponentially increase your currency. (Exploit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I've been a MnB player for many many years.

Watch the video to understand the basic idea behind what i'm about to explain: Here

After you've watched it, you now understand how to use the smithing mechanics to increase your loot's value.

How can this be exploited?

1 - Iron tools (my favourite being smithing hammer) usually cost 66 denars per, you can also buy them in bulk (sometimes up to 30 units).

2 - Disassemble them down to the components.

3 - Sell the iron you just got to the SAME TOWN for a lot more value. Optionally, if you are a profit nerd like me, go around other towns and quadruple your investment.

How can taleworlds fix this?

Option 1: Iron tools and weapons should increase in price, based on iron/steel demand.

Option 2: Make certain tools more expensive, depending on their disassembling output.

Smithing materials are usually 0.5 kilos. Maybe they could be made like food in Warband with a full stack being worth as much as it is now and anything less being worth a fraction of it.

Yes this happens, but fixes like that would really slow down leveling smithing which is quiet slow as it is

Completely agree with you. Levelling smithing is already a pain as it is with the stamina limit, I don't think making it even harder just to prevent some people from exploiting it is a good idea.

I do, but your fixes for this would see prices of things increase meaning it would cost a whole lot more just to get things to smelt down. Making it a bigger grind to level smithing

But this is an exploit, it shouldn't be in the game to start with, in my opinion.

Leveling up should feel natural and not grindy, so i understand where you're coming from, but exploits shouldn't be the answer.

I was addressing the fact that you can use this method to get free money basically, nothing mentioned about the experience of it, since i believe the progression system is unfinished and very grindy as it is.

To address the grinding, I would suggest giving the player more experience for crafting/disassembling more complex weapons, it would promote exploration/combat and crafting good weapons.

Either that, or still give the player experience for disassembling tools, but don't make it profitable.

I love how I posted about this hours ago and it still got a new thread. It is way more broken than the OP of this thread says and I didnt even touch his video or image HL. Hardwood is irrelevant. you can buy two HW and one mallet or other wooden tool and get a larger return of HW. Thus you can buy out most if not all weapons and tools and smelt them down and sell the components for a better return than on trading. Ie you get stuff for free and it compounds. The only hard issue is the kneejerk cap they put on smithing which is ultimately stupid. they should have just made every action in smithing pass time in game. that way focusing on it still keeps everything moving forward if you want to rp a smith business.

they should have just made every action in smithing pass time in game.

I wish that was possible aswell, it would make the game much more immersive, and i believe that it would facilitate coop campaign.

The only hard issue is the kneejerk cap they put on smithing which is ultimately stupid.

Is the ability to
...buy out most if not all weapons and tools and smelt them down and sell the components for a better return than on trading.

not a hard issue? (unsure what you might mean with it)

I wish that was possible aswell, it would make the game much more immersive, and i believe that it would facilitate coop campaign.

Is the ability to

not a hard issue? (unsure what you might mean with it)

point 1 - it will likely be, once they have worked out and implemented everything relating to businesses, they have the basic event handling in but none of the meat on the bones. This is clearly prioritized lower in their stepwise dev cycle. afterall in warband it was clearly seen that there is a lot of room for what was desired in different groups of players around businesses - ie farming and such.

point 2 - the smithing like the businesses which is a part thereof, is obviously lower down on their priorities, whatever they are focusing on right now which seems like hardcore problems like what was discovered through long playthroughs or savescumming is game breaking in a crash go f yourself kind of way. the smithing is more of an exploit because they havent clearly deep tested the conversions in smelting + the cost of components + the wider economy. this is a very deep and nuanced set of balancing that is best probably handled much later after more core content is in and they are set on how they want to do businesses, what their final view on smithing is, as of right now its completely separate to the actual business etc.

also the smithing is always going to be broken no matter what. Go to any city with no nearby hardwood or iron, buy weapons, some hardwood from the local trade market and start smeltscumming. you dont have to do it, but its a nice thing to know about if you are i na pinch for money or want to rush a business or right now a caravan is best.

Edit: my solution is to reduce the conversions, two ore for one crude, two crude for 1 wrought, two wrought for 1 iron, two iron for one steel etc. or 1 for 1. this is all testing after functionality is done. too much balancing before other related stuff is in will risk wasting time and having to repeat testing later. its why I say the hardcap on businesses was kneejerk. its incomplete but it works, leave it be. you want playtesting done, note it down and move on with core content. having most of what im interested not even in the game yet and seeing people wanting sieges to be polished but cant realise their complaint is related to warparties looking like they might have an immunity to starvation which answers the snowballing and not understanding that its a thing likely because diplomacy and other things are simply not done yet. get the content in without leaving actual game breaking stuff and leave the balancing until later. the sooner we have more content the better.

Last edited:
I was really excited when i saw pickaxes because I assumed straight away that they might be planning on implementing mining and farming later in development.

They certainly need to fix plenty of stuff before it comes to that, but like I've said before on my stream, the game has plenty tons of potential and the backbone for immersive and fulfilling gameplay.

Bannerlord seems to be shifting more to the diplomacy side of conflict, which i'm very interested in, because sieging your 100th castle can get quite boring (at least in warband).

I was really excited when i saw pickaxes because I assumed straight away that they might be planning on implementing mining and farming later in development.

They certainly need to fix plenty of stuff before it comes to that, but like I've said before on my stream, the game has plenty tons of potential and the backbone for immersive and fulfilling gameplay.

Bannerlord seems to be shifting more to the diplomacy side of conflict, which i'm very interested in, because sieging your 100th castle can get quite boring (at least in warband).
fill your army with high armor long reach and hold them at the top of the ladder and let the meat grind begin, or go in hard with high tier swadian knights / nord huscarls. This is why i have a bit more interest in the business and economy side, rome was a great example of a civilisation that had many non combat politically powerful and economically powerful individuals and brings gravitasse to intrigue and political infighting and such, all wishful thinking while people spam EA screeches on the forums for dare i say it, an EA game.

It's like people are expecting a full fledged game out of EA and then shout "bUt iTs BEen develope 4 8 yers"... Without knowing what has really been going on.
exactly - not much.- if anything probably lots of development sunk into visual stuff and back end.

Back
Top Bottom