MP Native [Update 1] Persistent Realms - Bannerlord Role-Play.

Users who are viewing this thread

There were still battles between the Byzantines and celtic/germanic tribe descendants. They even wrote a whole chapter in their Strategikon (a great book if you haven't yet read it, written in the 6th century by the Byzantines themselves, which digs deep into their formations, tactics, logistics and the characteristics of various people they had to fight against, from Persians to Scythians to Slavs to Germanic peoples).

Chapter 3: Dealing with the Light-Haired Peoples, Such As the Franks, Lombards, and Others Like Them

“The light-haired races place great value on freedom.  They are bold and undaunted in battle.  Daring and imperious as they are, they consider anuy timidity and even a short retreat as a disgrace.  They calmly despise death as they fight voliently in hand-to-hand combat either on horseback or on foot… Whether on foot or on horseback, they draw up for battle, not in any fixed measure and formation, or in regiments or divisions, but according to tribes, their kinship with one another, and common interest…  Either on horseback or on foot they are impetuous and undisciplined in charging, as if they were the only people in the world who are not cowards.  They are disobedient to their leaders.  They are not interested in anything that is at all complicated and pay little attention to external security and their own advantage.  They despise good order, especially on horseback.  They are easily corrupted by money, greedy as they are. “

“They are hurt by suffering and fatigue.  Although they possess bold and daring spirits, their bodes are pampered and soft, and they are not able to bear pain calmly.  In addition they are hurt by heat, cold, rain, lack of provisions, especially wine, and postponement of battle.  They are easily ambushed along the flanks and from the rear of their battle line, for they do not concern themselves at all with scouts and the other security measures.  Their ranks are easily broken by a simulated flight and a sudden turning back against them.  Attacks at night by archers often inflict damage, since they are very disorganized in setting up camp…”

Count Delinard said:
There were still battles between the Byzantines and celtic/germanic tribe descendants. They even wrote a whole chapter in their Strategikon (a great book if you haven't yet read it, written in the 6th century by the Byzantines themselves, which digs deep into their formations, tactics, logistics and the characteristics of various people they had to fight against, from Persians to Scythians to Slavs to Germanic peoples).

Chapter 3: Dealing with the Light-Haired Peoples, Such As the Franks, Lombards, and Others Like Them

“The light-haired races place great value on freedom.  They are bold and undaunted in battle.  Daring and imperious as they are, they consider anuy timidity and even a short retreat as a disgrace.  They calmly despise death as they fight voliently in hand-to-hand combat either on horseback or on foot… Whether on foot or on horseback, they draw up for battle, not in any fixed measure and formation, or in regiments or divisions, but according to tribes, their kinship with one another, and common interest…  Either on horseback or on foot they are impetuous and undisciplined in charging, as if they were the only people in the world who are not cowards.  They are disobedient to their leaders.  They are not interest in anything that is at all complicated and pay little attention to external security and their own advantage.  They despise good order, especially on horseback.  They are easily corrupted by money, greedy as they are. “

“They are hurt by suffering and fatigue.  Although they possess bold and daring spirits, their bodes are pampered and soft, and they rnot able to bear pain calmly.  In addition they are hurt by heat, cold, rain, lack of provisions, especially wine, and postponement of battle.  They are easily ambushed along the flanks and ot the rear of their battle line, for they do not concern themselves at all with scouts and the other security measures.  Their ranks are easily broken by a simulated flight and a sudden turning back against them.  Attacks at night by archers often inflict damage, since they are very disorganized in setting up camp…”
I know quite a lot about lots of history, i know byzantines had varangian guard who were essentially rus vikings, i know they fought the germanic tribes, celts and slavs, vikings as well as normans also fought arabic people on sicily and there were even 3 battles between serbian states and vikings on the coasts of adriatic sea and danube river.

We are talking about being appealing to masses here, we few history geeks know a lot more interesting detailes and unlikely encounters between nations and peoples (can that even be double plural?).

Thanks Delinard for sharing this chapter, haven't read that book, i am currently in the last 3rd of the Herodotus' "History" ( which i bought after i finnished AC Odissey, but started reading only after i bought Imperator:Rome, lol what hype can do to you ? ), then i must go through Jordan Petersons "12 rules for life" before i forget i bought it, and after that i cleared up all whats been piling up on the shelf, i could start "Strategikon", its been my wish for 10 years to read it ( since it also mentions slavic arrival on the balkans, among other interesting things ), but i always found something else beforehand, like for instance "De bellum galicum" after i watched "Rome" TV series etc... ?

Edit: Actualy i mixed Strategikon with another book, i was thinking this whole time of "De Administrando Imperio" that i wanted to read all.these years, that spoke of slavic arrival at the peninsula, i dont know if "Strategikon" mentions it? I tought it was the same book until now, so i must read both ?

Piconi said:
Edit: Actualy i mixed Strategikon with another book, i was thinking this whole time of "De Administrando Imperio" that i wanted to read all.these years, that spoke of slavic arrival at the peninsula, i dont know if "Strategikon" mentions it? I tought it was the same book until now, so i must read both ?

It's a different book, Strategikon was the Byzantine's version of a military handbook for commanders. It's full of tips on how to form your troops, how to handle logistics, how to set up camp, how to fight different enemies, what to do in each type of terrain or weather, etc. It's a wonderful trip into the mind of people long forgotten and how they used to think and organize around different problems.

I've got De Administrando Imperio in my wishlist, haven't managed to read it yet :smile:

Piconi said:
but i always found something else beforehand, like for instance "De bellum galicum" after i watched "Rome" TV series etc... ?

This one was a great read, I read it like 9 years ago so I can't remember every detail. I do remember though I expected to read pages upon pages on military strategy and I ended up learning about grains and logistics instead  :lol:

Count Delinard said:
Piconi said:
but i always found something else beforehand, like for instance "De bellum galicum" after i watched "Rome" TV series etc... ?

This one was a great read, I read it like 9 years ago so I can't remember every detail. I do remember though I expected to read pages upon pages on military strategy and I ended up learning about grains and logistics instead  :lol:
I ve read it when i heard Ridley Scott took inspiration from a paragraph about 2 soldiers, Lucius V. and Titus P. for his entire series, latter being drunk and breaking formation in the middle of a battle agains gauls, and the former saving his a** only to be able to punish him publicly later in camp, so noone does that anymore and risk the lives of others by breaking formation. Those were the only two non patricians mentioned by name in the book, so he geniously made series "Rome" start at the place in the middle of what Gaius Iulius wrote, and R.Scott made thigs about their lives up about what happened later ? . Geniuses, both of them !
And same for me, it wasn't what i expected at all, but when you invest initial effort, its silly not to finnish it, really !

Also, i higly recommend reading Herodotus, if you havent already, its amazing how he depicts situations thah happened so long ago, with common  language, no fancy expressions or refferences, when you read him, it just all makes simple human sense . . .
Captain Obvious said:
Well this get very deep very quickly haha
Harcore RP lol  :grin:

Z0mbiN3 said:
Plan on modding something of the sorts, although I'd like to keep it open-source. Hate the current state of Warband RP gamemodes.

Would be great to see such created! I think I'm correct to say there is a Persistent World sort of mod being created but we are all welcome to as many mods to help allow as much choices as possible! The warband RP issues have been well... monoplised due to the lack of ability to mod the game.

Why cant i find steam groups through steam app, but i can via google chrome when i log in steam? I only found it and joined after i found you through steam app Obvious, then saw you were in a group then joined.

I cant find groups nowhere under community tab ....

elcapo29 said:
Is your tag Captain Obvious on steam too?

You can find my profile link in my taleworlds profile :razz:

Piconi said:
Why cant i find steam groups through steam app, but i can via google chrome when i log in steam? I only found it and joined after i found you through steam app Obvious, then saw you were in a group then joined.

I cant find groups nowhere under community tab ....

Weird, the group name should be 'delorious-network' if you search it, idk what is wrong with steam. But it can be found on my profile. Steam is weird....

I did find the group, through your profile, i just cant find a box to even search for the groups on steam. I go to community and there is : home, discussions, workshop, market, broadacst subtabs.
I typed everywhere and couldnt find it. Maybe im just a derp, but for my life i cant find "community groups" in steam desktop app.

And whats even worse, there is now 2 Piconis in chat, one from steam desktop app, one from google browser log in  :shock:

Edit: Just fixed it now, logged out with the browser, there should be only 1 me now :grin:
If there`s anyhing i can help except ideas, CPT Obvious, tell me

Piconi said:
I did find the group, through your profile, i just cant find a box to even search for the groups on steam. I go to community and there is : home, discussions, workshop, market, broadacst subtabs.
I typed everywhere and couldnt find it. Maybe im just a derp, but for my life i cant find "community groups" in steam desktop app.

And whats even worse, there is now 2 Piconis in chat, one from steam desktop app, one from google browser log in  :shock:

Edit: Just fixed it now, logged out with the browser, there should be only 1 me now :grin:
If there`s anyhing i can help except ideas, CPT Obvious, tell me

Steam gone all weird recently, good you found it though :smile:

There will be a forum opened up soon where a lot of things will be put there so you can chip in with helping there then :wink: An announcement on the steam group will be made when such happens :grin:

I'm a huge fan of roleplay on many games (Warband, ARMA, SAMP). So, RP on Bannerlord is definitely something I'll be looking forward to! A mod such as PW improved and made on Bannerlord would what I'd play the majority of the time if it's possible.

Reuven said:
I'm a huge fan of roleplay on many games (Warband, ARMA, SAMP). So, RP on Bannerlord is definitely something I'll be looking forward to! A mod such as PW improved and made on Bannerlord would what I'd play the majority of the time if it's possible.

If it is possible on warband it should easily be possible on bannerlord! Also let me know which of the scenarios you prefer :wink:

nice ideas, but we're far off a playable module to base this on.

not to mention, there's people like pike and flav who are likely aiming to make similar servers which the roleplay community are much more likely to put their faith into than yours.

you should hit one of them up and offer your ideas and help, i can assure you they've been planning a bannerlord server long before you have and possess the standing and experience within that community to make it very successful. no offence, but if a load of semi-known semi-experienced people all try to launch their own servers the community will be worse off for the divide it will cause.

not to be offensive but it's only really blueberry pike and flav (maybe a couple others) that have run properly successful servers in the past, yours have been pretty unmemorable, so much so that i've actually forgotten which ones they were. bottom line there's much better people than u to run this particular community, but it's nice that you're spreading the word about the viability of these type of servers.

Right, where to begin my oh my. I didn't just find this post amusing but purely bewildering of how blatant it was to try and belittle me and the general prospect of me opening my own server.

Hrod said:
nice ideas, but we're far off a playable module to base this on.

Firstly, thanks. I'm aware of the current state of the status of a playable server, this thread was intended to gather support for the idea and see where the players interest lie, which has been successful.

Hrod said:
not to mention, there's people like pike and flav who are likely aiming to make similar servers which the roleplay community are much more likely to put their faith into than yours.

I'm not so sure where you got the idea from that people would be putting more faith into ones mentioned, although, that is your own opinion and you're entitled to such.

Hrod said:
you should hit one of them up and offer your ideas and help, i can assure you they've been planning a bannerlord server long before you have and possess the standing and experience within that community to make it very successful. no offence, but if a load of semi-known semi-experienced people all try to launch their own servers the community will be worse off for the divide it will cause.

I'm sorry no, I'm not just going to dump the ideas I've had for quite a while just to go help someone else, who probably wouldn't be either interested or appreciated of my assistance. This isn't a competition though with who has been planning a bannerlord server for longer and one doesn't need to have been in the community from the start to be able to be 'qualified' to make a server. Although I must point out saying no offense, then going on to saying something which could be considered offensive doesn't automatically render the insult invalid due to such. And I am aware of a few people who are considering planning their own server, hovering over the idea, but I can assure you and any others that I am completely committed to delivering a fun and enjoyable server to all. This is something I've been planning for a long time (although, as said prior it isn't something which I'm using as a competition in comparison) and don't intend to drop such after a couple of posts from others. I have a considerable interest from players already, and I hope to see it continue to thrive, so there isn't any worries my end - although in some part I think it'll be healthy for the community to have several servers, where several different types of groups can go and part ways, unlike in warband RP where the lack of a player base led to compromises which caused the community to split and eventually drove away a large portion of the community.

Hrod said:
not to be offensive but it's only really blueberry pike and flav (maybe a couple others) that have run properly successful servers in the past, yours have been pretty unmemorable, so much so that i've actually forgotten which ones they were. bottom line there's much better people than u to run this particular community, but it's nice that you're spreading the word about the viability of these type of servers.

Just because someone has run a successful server, doesn't automatically qualify them as the only candidates for the job; if anything in some circumstances it disqualified them for the job due to some past issues. My servers? Perhaps they are unmemorable because they haven't been a thing. My brief spell as Head Admin on CRP was in one of the worst points in time for the warband RP community, and later on my own personal life - many of the decisions and such made were out of my control & I became more of a bullet-proof vest if anything, absorbing damage being done. But to finish up, I find your last comment unnecessary and rather disparaging. In the end, I am here to help provide RP and a style away from the typical life of many, at least in the Warband RP community, are used to, as a fresh new start for Bannerlord.

The more servers, the better, I say. Bannerlord is young and it will have plenty of people playing it, so there is really no need to worry about servers splitting things up, at least not prematurely. I wish Captain Obvious good luck with his project.

Back
Top Bottom