Undercover Adminning

Users who are viewing this thread

Apthorpe

Knight at Arms
So I've heard stories of admins when they go undercover by using alternate names in order to catch problem players off guard. I was wondering whether or not I can kick/ban a player after enough evidence has piled up without a warning. I wouldn't want to blow my cover, but at the same time I do think it's important to ensure this isn't admin abuse.

I think yes. Otherwise they would just not do it when an admin is around. This way they wont know if an admin is on and would be scared to do it...

If they give you a suitable reason to take admin action against them, I don't think you need to tell them who you are. It doesn't matter who banned who, but that the problems are taken care of. If they start crying abuse because you banned them for a legitimate reason, we have server logs for that and we can establish who actually banned who here in the admin subforum.

If they recognize your name as the name of an admin, they aren't going to exploit or troll as hard as they would if you weren't there. If they don't know you're there, you can catch them red-handed.

So they get what they deserve.

I warn people when I'm 'undercover'.  I can always get a new character, but I hate blowing my cover and having to create a new one all the time lol.  My latest one has a kick ass name but was outted the other night :sad:

But if they're a past abuser (IE reported in the thread at the top of the page) I ban them out right whenever they're exploiting/being abusive/whatever.  They've already had their warning in the past.

Archonsod said:
Wait, we're supposed to warn people prior to banning?

Well, I'm used to kick first to let the douches a chance to think twice about their behavior but I once banned without it, so ... I guess it's up to the admins :smile:

I'll kick a player if I'm undercover and I don't recognize the name of the glitcher (they're in for a ban if I do though). Sometimes they come back in and say "who kicked me?" but they know full well that they've been doing something wrong in shooting from inside buildings or the like so I don't see the point in ruining my cover over that.

Nate said:
So I've heard stories of admins when they go undercover by using alternate names in order to catch problem players off guard. I was wondering whether or not I can kick/ban a player after enough evidence has piled up without a warning. I wouldn't want to blow my cover, but at the same time I do think it's important to ensure this isn't admin abuse.

I'm undercover all the time, and I'm not quite sure what your stressing over. If you feel they should be banned just ban them.

Archonsod said:
Wait, we're supposed to warn people prior to banning?

What?!?! I was not informed of this!

Harn said:
I'll kick a player if I'm undercover and I don't recognize the name of the glitcher (they're in for a ban if I do though). Sometimes they come back in and say "who kicked me?" but they know full well that they've been doing something wrong in shooting from inside buildings or the like so I don't see the point in ruining my cover over that.

Welcome to the KGB.

[EDIT]

In any case, who is Kurt_Cobain? And why were you kicking/banning Kevlar (which was fine in this case) but not TRUSOULJA, who was running around calling everyone ******s et cetera? If you're going to start kicking people, you'd better start kicking all of those that deserve it.

I was Kurt Cobain. I told SOULJA to cool it after he told Basu to "eat ****" and while I was there he obeyed. It wasn't an immediate warning because I was minimized reading the forums, but he did seem to chill out after that. If he continued doing stuff afterwords, it was not me in the server with that name (read, most likely kevlar), otherwise I would have had no problem giving him a full on ban. If anything, it would be a good way of testing if bans work on other players than the current problem child

Kevlar was already there under a different name (imagine that?) and so wasn't impersonating your alternate identity. TRU didn't calm down in the least, and I came in with the name nK_Marnid and he started freaking out, saying things like "I knew they'd call you in" and so on. I told him I would ban him, and he started off on this little rant about how he's getting PMs from server admins about random things regarding me, then he left.

Heh, bans didn't work at the moment anyway. He left and didn't come back because he wanted to deny me the pleasure of banning him again. So in effect, I made him ban himself.

like I said, after the warning I gave him, he did not type anything for the rest of the time I observed him. I  cannot vouch, nor did I ever vouch, for his behavior after I left. Anyone who claims he acting out when I was logged onto the server after I had given him the warning is a flat out liar.

I would have had absolutely 0 issues with banning TRU. If anything it would serve as a test on if the bans work on people other than kevlar

check the server logs. I joined after TRU first cussed out Kevlar, and he did not cause any problems after the verbal warning I gave until 11 minutes later when I left.

Back
Top Bottom