Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erdoğan style of donating books
BiKHsB9CUAAyUGy.jpg:large

Jhessail said:
Turkey has bought a million barrels of oil directly from the Kurds in North-Iraq. The Iraqi government is not happy, and is threatening trade embargo against anyone who buys oil directly from the Kurds.

Ohhhh, skewwy, I bet the Kurds are trembling in their sandals.

Private elementary, middle and high schools now are required to have prayer rooms.

According to the Radikal Newspaper, Turkish Ministry of Education requires "prayer rooms" in private schools but infirmaries and playgrounds are optional. No sites reporting in English have picked this up yet, as it was posted just 2 hours ago but there have been reports of and appeals for this for many years.

Elementary school kids putting religious pressure on each other is just what this country needs. Bend the tree when it is young.

He's been a Prime Minister since 2007. He was sent to jail for 4 months before then in 1999, for incitement to religious or racial hatred, and had got political ban but that ban was later appealed for in the parliament and the parliament approved but the President vetoed it the first time. It was re-appealed and the President Ahmet Necdet Sezer allowed it the second time.

No. Term length is 4 years but there is no limit on how many terms one can run. AKP, the ruling party, has a limit of its own. Used to be 2 terms for one person but Erdoğan got it changed to 3 so he could run for prime ministry again. He's not getting it changed to 4 terms because he is running for Presidency now.

See for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Turkey#Duties_and_responsibilities

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/11/uk-turkey-election-idUKKBN0FG1OE20140711
Erdogan has made little secret of his desire to create an executive presidency in Turkey, something that would require a constitutional change which his ruling AK Party could push through if it secures a wider majority of at least two thirds in parliamentary elections due next year.

He wants executive presidency anyway.

Cyborg Eastern European said:
And how the **** did you manage to elect him again and again anyway?
I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that people are stupid.

Promising stability and leaning heavily on "traditional" values appeals to the more... rural type of people I guess.

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom