Traveling Fairs/Random Events on World Map

Users who are viewing this thread

So, to make the world feel more alive, I'd love to see additional events show up on the World Map from time to time.

Examples:

1. Traveling Fair - can purchase food/gear/horses for a discount. Can enter into a mini-tournament to earn some silver/renown. Maybe a couple of quests can be launched from here as well. Can boost party morale by just showing up at the fair.

2. Cultist/Ritual in one of the darker forests where you can either kill them, sell prisoners, recruit some questionable folk to your warband or maybe can hire a companion that comes with Tracking/Party Speed/Foraging bonuses.

3. Wool Market - The wool trade was huge in Medieval England. Would be cool to be able to buy some wool for cheap here in maybe Vlandian territory and be able to sell it elsewhere for a profit. Or you can ransack it.

I'm sure there are other things I could think of but I'm at work.  Feel free to suggest other things.

Not entirely terrible ideas, but the developers probably have a LOT more on their plates in need of attention than these "frills".  One or two of these might be good material as minor enhancements for a major game expansion, free patch after release, or DLC, but I wouldn't expect to see them in the base game.

The fair idea is not bad. The rest is random mediocre stuff.
If you are going to write down design ideas, try to cull the mediocre ones and work out how the good ones will connect with other game systems, and also what are the challenges and rewards for the player.
Otherwise it looks like bored player spam like most posts in any suggestion thread ever.
Phalnax811 said:
I'm sure there are other things I could think of but I'm at work.
I'm not sure if this is meant as a threat.  :ohdear:
:iamamoron:

I'm all for semi-realistic ideas like these which spice up the experience and make the world feel more lived in.
Rodrigo Ribaldo said:
If you are going to write down design ideas, try to cull the mediocre ones and work out how the good ones will connect with other game systems, and also what are the challenges and rewards for the player.
Otherwise it looks like bored player spam like most posts in any suggestion thread ever.
I think you're being a bit too harsh. They are decent and somewhat unique ideas. The wool one especially because it has historic influence. If you're going to say something like that, at least explain why you liked/disliked certain ones.

vicwiz007 said:
Rodrigo Ribaldo said:
I think you're being a bit too harsh. They are decent and somewhat unique ideas. The wool one especially because it has historic influence. If you're going to say something like that, at least explain why you liked/disliked certain ones.
Creating unwarranted suggestion threads is harsh. Asking people to put effort into explaining why half-baked ideas are half-baked is harsh. It's a harsh world that expects quality posts and quality threads.

Rodrigo Ribaldo said:
Phalnax811 said:
I'm sure there are other things I could think of but I'm at work.
I'm not sure if this is meant as a threat.  :ohdear:
:iamamoron:

Yeah very unhelpful comment but thanks for stopping by.

Well, IMO he's not entirely wrong. :lol: Travelling fairs would be interesting to see for mini-tournaments and a way to buy/sell stuff without visiting a city, especially in hostile territory. The second suggestion sounds like it could just be a side quest, while the third is literally just the economy system working as intended.

Orion said:
Well, IMO he's not entirely wrong. :lol: Travelling fairs would be interesting to see for mini-tournaments and a way to buy/sell stuff without visiting a city, especially in hostile territory. The second suggestion sounds like it could just be a side quest, while the third is literally just the economy system working as intended.

Please point me in the direction of a comprehensive list of quests so I can see if I agree with you or not. I hope quests will be better in Bannerlord but other than seeing a few in the Gamescom videos, I really don't know what new quests we'll be getting. Will they be extensive with a short story behind them?  I've read all the DevBlogs but can't recall every detail, obviously.

Don't see how a 'Pagan'-themed ritual in the middle of Battania's darker forests would be a quest. Maybe you can get a quest or two from the ritual that only takes place during certain months. Recruit shady characters that could help in Criminal Enterprises Etc...

And no, it's not literally the Eco working as intended.  It'd be a point to visit on the map, probably near a city or farming village that has an abundance of wool/textiles (and probably some other goods).  If you're a trader, you'd jump at the opportunity to buy the wool cheap and sell it elsewhere.  If you're a marauder, you get to ransack a marketplace and get that sweet loot.  Attacking caravans was fun.  If you do attack it, the Lord in the area will come after you, in theory.

The Bannerlord Map obviously looks much better than Warband's.  I just hope it'll feel more alive with random events happening during your travels, herds of deer or boar to hunt (a la Viking Conquest) and maybe even natural disasters to avoid or capitalize on somehow.

Traveling and non-traveling fairs certainly did exist historically, particularly in the Champagne region of France.  The height was in the 12th and 13th Centuries but it's not hard to imagine smaller fairs existing during Bannerlord's time frame. 

Phalnax811 said:
And no, it's not literally the Eco working as intended.  It'd be a point to visit on the map, probably near a city or farming village that has an abundance of wool/textiles (and probably some other goods).  If you're a trader, you'd jump at the opportunity to buy the wool cheap and sell it elsewhere.  If you're a marauder, you get to ransack a marketplace and get that sweet loot.  Attacking caravans was fun.  If you do attack it, the Lord in the area will come after you, in theory.
... then why wouldn't they play it safe and set up shop inside of a city? That's how the economy currently works. Certain locations produce more of certain resources than others, and sometimes they are incapable of producing particular resources themselves because of geography. Naturally, goods which are highly concentrated in one or a few places will be cheaper there, and will be more expensive elsewhere due to relative scarcity. Again, the economic system at work.

Phalnax811 said:
Please point me in the direction of a comprehensive list of quests so I can see if I agree with you or not. I hope quests will be better in Bannerlord but other than seeing a few in the Gamescom videos, I really don't know what new quests we'll be getting. Will they be extensive with a short story behind them?  I've read all the DevBlogs but can't recall every detail, obviously.
:lol: I do appreciate some good sass. I didn't say it was a quest, I said it could be one. It could also branch into separate quest chains, providing the same experiences you've specifically mentioned. You could be given the quest by different notables or lords themselves, either to simply investigate or to drive them out of the area. Obviously, once you find them you could be given an actual choice in what to do with them. Kill or scatter them and your quest line is finished. Help them, or at least pass on dispersing them, and they remain where they are as well as offer you new quests themselves. Rewards for their quests could be companions, access to recruits from a minor faction troop tree unique to them, etc., as you described. Making it a quest gives it the advantage of being a somewhat controlled event, so the player has a chance to meet up with them before patrolling lords stomp them out.

Re: random events, how about peasant rebellions?

Happened often throughout history across the world, often tied to wars and/or famine and/or harsh taxes, and could be represented in-game by large mostly low-level armies spawning from villages suffering from one or more of those conditions.

Best left to mods if they haven't already built this into the game  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom