To my fellow mount&bladers who are disappointed at TW atm, on TW's business mode

Users who are viewing this thread

I 100% agree that it’s easily used as a cop out for a design team, but because mods exist and people fidget with the game the way they want it, it’s only made PC gamers even more obnoxious with exactly how they think a game should operate. And when it comes to game “extras” the sad truth has become that many games are safer to let the modders make the 15 different variations that people ask for versus hard coding one into the game.

I’m not saying I like the current state of gaming and how Millennial-aged programmers are approaching this, but trying to also pull back and view the onslaught of opinionated forum goers pulling designers on 10000 directions and each one being professed as the one most vital for the game’s success. So telling them “We’re making the game mod friendly” is at a least shield, or more precisely, a funnel for criticism to focus on certain things as you concede many QoL and bells and whistles will be added by modders in the desired flavor.

I hear what your saying but Im guess what im ultimately saying is "A game of this magnitude and with its pedigree should have vision - and that vision should feel complete End game and all." Meaning regardless of whether I like the specifics of a game theme, time period, weapons, town names etc...Ill still know that this game is someones vision and feels complete to its own direction on its own merits. Sure we can always add new cultures, blood mods, turn it into Star Wars, middle earth whatever -but that shouldnt in anyway diminish what should always be expected and thats a completed piece of sandbox art in someone on the Dev teams mind.

Im not saying there arent dedicated developers on this game -far from it -but i honestly dont sense an overall strong direction the way say a Prophecy of Pendor mod had. Again you dont have to care for that mod's theme -but ive never met anyone who didnt agree that that game had deep roots and thought and care was put into it at every level. Can the same be said for BannerLord?

At this stage? Definitely not. But that’s also why I dropped my comment about people slinging the word “sandbox” and how the game not having something (or having something) ruins their sandbox. Having culture or story in game doesn’t disqualify the game from being a sandbox. It, in fact, can often enrich the experience. And in a game like Mount & Blade, it’s much better served with versus without

Last edited:
At this stage? Definitely not. But that’s also why I dropped my comment about people slinging the word “sandbox” and how the game not having something (or having something) ruins their sandbox. Having no culture or story in game doesn’t disqualify the game from being a sandbox. It, in fact, can often enrich the experience. And in a game like Mount & Blade, it’s much better served with versus without

Having no cultural distinctions enriches the experience? I have a time share property for you.

I understand why some people are frustrated, but I also feel some of those people sort of asked to be frustrated. I don't mean it in any sort of insulting way, but some of the complaints I read make me think the posters would have been better off if they waited until after EA was over. I know there are types of games I won't enjoy in EA for exactly that reason. It's way too early to claim the game is focused purely on face-paced combat. There's already enough in the game to demonstrate the intention of the noncombat portions of the game to be much more complex than in the previous installments of M&B. It doesn't surprise me that much of the current work seems to focus on refining combat, as I imagine that's more difficult to program and fine tune than the various RP and strategy aspects of the game. As others have pointed out, 9 months of EA isn't much in the modern world where some developers release DLC for games before removing them from EA. Additionally, most of the EA has been during a time where most of the world has been under a Covid lockdown. That's got to slow down development, and TW wasn't exactly known for how quickly they've worked on this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a TW fanboi, and I believe in holding developers accountable based on realistic expectations. But I'd rather them take the time to make a complete game than have this be yet another game following the popular trend of releasing games in an incomplete state.

It is theoretically possible that they have a bunch of great content off the main development branch and hold off on releasing it until they figure out who is truly faithful and deserving of this.
The naysayers would only get **** updates like sheep and barbers.

It is theoretically possible that they have a bunch of great content off the main development branch and hold off on releasing it until they figure out who is truly faithful and deserving of this.
You mean you didn’t get quick talk functions, better economics, more missions, hideout raid party selection, the ability to have offspring, and the ability to execute Lords like I did?

That’s just the thing though: the “this game is awful” folks are just overly dismissive of a lot of things that makes them fairly hard to take seriously. And they’ve been here since the beginning. The game saw HUGE strides in stability and functionality the first month and players were already melting down.

I often find myself thinking that if the gripefest wasn’t so overdone, I’d find myself more on that side of the isle, wondering why things we’ve seen flashes of haven’t been finalized for some reason. But to see someone complain about snowballing as if it’s the same problem it was (which in my plays, doesn’t even seem like it’s a problem, as there should be a chance certain factions get pushed to oblivion after 10 years) is just rhetoric and dismissive of where it used to be versus where it is.

giphy.gif

Enjoy the ban from breaking the DnA

No it doesn't but they might aswell have gotten additional funding through it. From what I know they only invest their own money to the project if either they ran out or its not working.

Fyi the literal definition of a funding goal: The funding goal is the amount of money that a creator needs to complete their project. There will be some uncertainty to the actual funding goal, perhaps they needed more $10k cash or whatever, but its up to the creator to successfully plan it out financially and know its limits.
Usually Kickstarter is not used to fund game development but to get trust from the real investors.

You mean you didn’t get quick talk functions, better economics, more missions, hideout raid party selection, the ability to have offspring, and the ability to execute Lords like I did?

That’s just the thing though: the “this game is awful” folks are just overly dismissive of a lot of things that makes them fairly hard to take seriously. And they’ve been here since the beginning. The game saw HUGE strides in stability and functionality the first month and players were already melting down.

I often find myself thinking that if the gripefest wasn’t so overdone, I’d find myself more on that side of the isle, wondering why things we’ve seen flashes of haven’t been finalized for some reason. But to see someone complain about snowballing as if it’s the same problem it was (which in my plays, doesn’t even seem like it’s a problem, as there should be a chance certain factions get pushed to oblivion after 10 years) is just rhetoric and dismissive of where it used to be versus where it is.

LOL, what a list of features..... "quick talk".... omg what a feature.... "hideout party selection screen" the prior screen was fine.... "better economics"... the whole economy is a complete mess, give it a rest dude lol.

LOL, what a list of features..... "quick talk".... omg what a feature.... "hideout party selection screen" the prior screen was fine.... "better economics"... the whole economy is a complete mess, give it a rest dude lol.
I will when you stop being disingenuous.

You couldn’t select your party when raiding a bandit camp. Now you can.

To say that’s not a new/improved feature is dishonest

To say that’s not a new/improved feature is dishonest
To say it´s more than a little QOL feature is also dishonest :wink: .

BTW, the quick talk stuff was a mod before, so TW just added a mod. Don´t get me wrong, both are welcome features, but they are not really game changers :wink:

If they add the ability to control your parties (give them commands) that would be huge, that´s what I call a "real" new feature.

Last edited:
To say it´s more than a little QOS feature is also dishonest :wink: .

BTW, the quick talk stuff was a mod before, so TW just added a mod. Don´t get me wrong, both are welcome features, but they are not really game changers :wink:

If they add the ability to control your parties (give them commands) that would be huge, that´s what I call a "real" new feature.

+40 billion points! JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The closest I've come to game development is being a closed beta tester but I've dealt with contracting for software: $50,000 is about enough to get you laughed at. The amount you're looking at for fast, reliable work starts like in the mid six figure range and you need to be very clear about what you want.

Modders do a mindboggling amount of work for free because it is something they want to do. There are low odds they are going to value their time the same way when working on someone else's interests. Because that's called work.
Im inclined to agree with you, although we are talking about two different things it seems.. I spoke of rewarding modders to mod the game with things that are enjoyable at the community wants, before TW can give us something substantial (which they seem to fail at often somehow?) - so, on that, I think you totally misinterpreted my post.

As a community, weve given millions of dollars to TW, just in bannerlord - but we arent being engaged, we arent being listened to - they previously asserted that suggestion posts which are very popular are the ones that get considered for implementation, seems pretty arbitrary since they arent actively making community engagement efforts in the forms of surveys etc (not everyone is on forum) - they havent put any effort into it (or barely if they have). I have seen many EA games do much much much better with clear communication, roadmapping, community engagement and community led development (what the players want).

Bannerlord, for all intents and purposes, is a game from the devs, for the devs - not for the fans - and that is what is truly painful and frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom