To my fellow mount&bladers who are disappointed at TW atm, on TW's business mode

Users who are viewing this thread

I commissioned about 100-hours of work for $500. It didn't require a "crack team" of devs. You guys are looking into specific wordage way too hard.
Did you bought a starving third-worlder time ? My company charges 73 €/h for my time, 500 € would literally barely be enough for half a day. And I'm just a regular, mediocre dev in a regular non-IT-focused company.

To put some emphasis on it, I'm a developer (not a game developer, just regular boring company dev), and 50 000 $ is about what my company would charge for four to six months of my time. Just mediocre me.
So yeah, good luck assembling a "crack team" of dev with that amount ^^

I've seen Kickstarter with a $100k budget and they did a pretty neat job. On the other hand, I've seen another campaign with a funding goal of $1M doing badly. It depends on how proficient they are in budget management and the competency of the devs. There are lots of people doing free lance work who are quite skilled and offer great price for their service. Game development is a really good industry with many opportunities for people, and quite frankly anyone can learn how to dev.

Last edited:
The kickstarter isn't the entire budget of the game. Some people have enough savings to work for a few months or years on a shoestring to pursue something like a kickstarter project, or they live with a supportive spouse or whatever. They then expect to make money from further sales after the kickstarter. This absolutely doesn't mean that the game only took 100k worth of manpower to make.

There are lots of people doing free lance work who are quite skilled and offer great price for their service.

Translation: Employers have a massive amount of power over ununionised developers who are desperate for work even if they get screwed.

Do you work in HR by any chance?

The kickstarter isn't the entire budget of the game. Some people have enough savings to work for a few months or years on a shoestring to pursue something like a kickstarter project, or they live with a supportive spouse or whatever. They then expect to make money from further sales after the kickstarter. This absolutely doesn't mean that the game only took 100k worth of manpower to make.

No it doesn't but they might aswell have gotten additional funding through it. From what I know they only invest their own money to the project if either they ran out or its not working.

Fyi the literal definition of a funding goal: The funding goal is the amount of money that a creator needs to complete their project. There will be some uncertainty to the actual funding goal, perhaps they needed more $10k cash or whatever, but its up to the creator to successfully plan it out financially and know its limits.

Last edited:
I agree with much of what you said, but nobody will be paying for mods.
You'll be surprised how many people are willingly paying for another Bikini armour in Skyrim. Some of them pay more than $50 monthly.

My contempt towards those is immesuarable - as long as they support this bull*** with their money, there will be more greedy modders hiding themselves behind paywalls.

It isn't greed to want to be paid for your work.
Yeah, that's exactly what they use to cover their greediness. Keep thinking this way and soon enough you'll be paying $400 for freaking freckles mod (im not joking, can't remember the author, but saw it on Reddit).

Yeah, that's exactly what they use to cover their greediness. Keep thinking this way and soon enough you'll be paying $400 for freaking freckles mod (im not joking, can't remember the author, but saw it on Reddit).

Then don't buy it? Speaking for myself: I damned sure won't be paying $400 for a freckles mod.

That's such a rip off :ROFLMAO:,

But how would paying the modders work in this case OP, does a % go to TW? will there be a price limit?

But how would paying the modders work in this case OP, does a % go to TW? will there be a price limit?
I'd only support something like Viking Conquest. AFAIK, it was initially a mod which was supported by TW. This masterpiece worth every dollar spent. But big F to any other paid mod for one set of armour or a shiny sword for $50.

Did you bought a starving third-worlder time ? My company charges 73 €/h for my time, 500 € would literally barely be enough for half a day. And I'm just a regular, mediocre dev in a regular non-IT-focused company.

I didn't put out job ads or anything. Literally was working on a mod by myself when a skilled modder pitched in to help with questions and it shifted to me offering him commission to do the leg work for me. I've also commissioned artists to create models for me before I picked up some Blender skills myself. The mod market is not saturated with 200k/yr devs who are looking for a second job. It's no different than artists doing artwork commissions. Some ask for more than others.

And people here are super entitled. How dare someone make a mod for a commission/donations/money. The nerve! You'll never be able to get free mods again!

The language choice people are going with to paint how detestable they find the concept as a paid mod is all too telling of their simple-minded deduction. It's actually basic economics and really simple logic. You want a product. That product does not exist in the world. There is no one making that product. You can try to make that product yourself. You either don't have the time, tools, skills, or desire. What you do have is money. You have now created demand where there is no supply. You find someone who can supply. They now have demand and can provide supply for money. That product now exists. In a world where that product was already made before you asked for it, you don't have to pay for it.

It's almost like we live in a system where someone's labor can be traded for someone else's labor through paper notes backed by a central banking system that ensures person a's labor is worth person b's labor. Where there is no demand or supply for either of those, then a and b can decide on that between themselves.

What those of you who disparage the concept are doing is coming along and saying "stupid enabler" as person c. Person c sees a very basic free market concept taking place and becomes frustrated because somehow they reserve entitlement to person b's potential labor. Not actual labor. Potential. Person c lives in a world where person b was somehow not going to exist without person a, yet person b was going to - without existing - fill person c's needs without person c having the need to begin with.

Thus is childish notion of "my god, someone got paid so this dooms the free mod market."

Brb, going to tell my lawnmower guy he is supposed to mow lawns for free because his time isn't really that valuable to someone, somewhere, who is really peeved that people pay lawnmowers because it's a really simple skill that just requires time and effort that the person paying for the service would rather spend on other pursuits in their life.

Partake in it or not, I'm losing no sleep over having a tailor-made mod commissioned taking away from your share of the pie that doesn't exist. Your guys' logic is literally "he's paying for someone to not make mods for us."

Last edited:
Well the developers need to hear it from their loyal diehard fanbase or else they will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance. Especially games like this or Arma -they both realize that modders will present far more fleshed out experiences so they make a BUSINESS DECISION to forgo those elements and in a very real sense -rely on the modders to finish the experience while they can just focus on core engine mechanics. Like it or not - its a reality.

Just like Arma -we have a few Devs here (mexxico) who kinda have a more similar vision as we do and try their best to flesh out some of these elements but are always fighting a tidal wave of board room opposition and pushbacks -"How cost effective is _x at this point?"
There’s a reason for that though:

All the ******* gamers out there have different demands and expectations on what they think the “finished” game should look like. 90% of the people using the term “sandbox” in these forums are clueless as to what base elements you need to make a good sandbox experience, or why one sandbox game is different from another, versus them All being slight variations from Minecraft.

All the ******* gamers out there have different demands and expectations on what they think the “finished” game should look like. 90% of the people using the term “sandbox” in these forums are clueless as to what base elements you need to make a good sandbox experience, or why one sandbox game is different from another, versus them All being slight variations from Minecraft.
How does it feel to call out people not knowing what a game should be, to then proclaim yourself the messiah and know what sandbox is supposed to be

How does it feel to call out people not knowing what a game should be, to then proclaim yourself the messiah and know what sandbox is supposed to be
When did I say I was a Messiah? Come off it. I pointed out a buzzword, like any buzzword, that gets dropped as the thing to do when trying to validate your criticism, but there is an obvious lack of understand of what that word actually either means, indicates, or how it’s implemented when reading their posts.

Thats an easy Company byline "Well they dont know what they want and their interests so varied...so...". Been gaming on pc for about 40 years -also run my own business for 25 -customers know whether they are educated in your field or not, when they are being delivered a fully fleshed out well presented product and when they arent. Sure the details and preferences may vary from customer to customer -but even the least articulate among them know instinctually when they are being shoeshined.

What you stated is almost verbatim what Bohemia Interactive stated when they decided to stop adding Campaigns for Single Player in their flagship Operation Flashpoint/Arma series -"Well they all want something different -let them make it themselves with our robust-y editor". Thereby abandoning half of what made them famous, crapping on their original fanbase and hoping/gambling they could replace them with the more accessible crowd who are far less demanding in the long run as they tend to keep moving on

Its a slippery slope and one i intend on calling out everytime i spot a favorite franchise of mine decide to go that route

I 100% agree that it’s easily used as a cop out for a design team, but because mods exist and people fidget with the game the way they want it, it’s only made PC gamers even more obnoxious with exactly how they think a game should operate. And when it comes to game “extras” the sad truth has become that many games are safer to let the modders make the 15 different variations that people ask for versus hard coding one into the game.

I’m not saying I like the current state of gaming and how Millennial-aged programmers are approaching this, but trying to also pull back and view the onslaught of opinionated forum goers pulling designers on 10000 directions and each one being professed as the one most vital for the game’s success. So telling them “We’re making the game mod friendly” is at a least shield, or more precisely, a funnel for criticism to focus on certain things as you concede many QoL and bells and whistles will be added by modders in the desired flavor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom