Tips for melee from horseback

Users who are viewing this thread

dochtorgajo

Squire
Good day Id like to ask for a few tips about how to fight as cavalry differently from just riding by and killing anything that cant reach me or see me. :mrgreen: I use two handed sword for melee. Any tips about how to block and limitations of blocking, how to move around enemy, avoid being hit by longer weapon etc would be appreciated. :grin:

For guys with longer weapons get a charger and charge them.  The horse can take any hit besides couched lance.  Once you are in close beat on them with your weapon.  This works for me, but I have a 1-h sword, so I can hit them before they can draw their big polearm.

If you are 1 on 1 against a guy with the most effective weapon versus cav (the Rhodok pike) you should ready your 2h/1h sword for a swing and get near your target in a way to make him release the thrust and not hiting you or your horse. Then while he sets his next thrust you go for your swing and a head should be rolling down hill after that - be sure that is not your head. The thing here is to understand how you can manipulate his attack and be swift to get your swing to it without giving him the chance of attacking a second time.

Also, mastering the bump slash is a must against shielded oponents. The bump slash may be tricky to master tho, it requires some timing and you must be aware of your speed, range of your weapon and your choice of horse.

Get a long arming sword and run rings around them. It works well in single player and multiplayer.

It doesn't matter if you are on a heavy charge, never run straight into an infantry man. Always try to knick their side and slash while they are stunned. (Bump and slash)

Generally, try to stay away from anyone who has a weapon with a longer reach than you. Be especially weary of pikes.

It all depends on what difficulty level you play the game at, of course.

On suggestion from the fine people here, I started using a Balanced Long Awlpike, and I've had great results. It's a very long weapon that's both fast and (with a bit of practice) easy to aim. If I use a sword it's usually the Balanced Long Arming Sword. The length makes it easy to use. The main trick is timing when to release your mouse button to start swinging. Personally, I've found that looking up slightly helps me get a wider "kill zone" on my slash, though I could just be imaginging it.

Still, in mass combat I tend to prefer to target those who aren't looking in my direction. You don't have to worry about them attacking or blocking then.

Thx for all your tips. :smile:

Well right now I play on hardest setting and Im starting with fastest combat speed right now. Any mistake can be lethal like this. :mrgreen:

Might I ask if by bumpslash is meant riding by an infantry colliding with him and hitting him when off guard in full speed or slowly in circles not letting him get a swing on me? How to get close on an aware opponent with longer weapon if I want both me and my horse go away without taking damage the easiest way?

Also if blocking with 2h weapon I allways turn myself on him blocking as on foot if nesesary is there some easier way?

Back
Top Bottom