SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

I managed to find some reenactor pictures from Hoilola and Keski-Suomi, the people's clothing here are based on local recostructions.
goteborgpuku.jpg
ec79330c1bc9d9a390bce9ed3c5de76e.jpg

Oh and the reason why i can't post something everyday is because i have no access to net or my computer at all times unfortunantly, i will be in Lapland next week but i will try to find some more good pictures and historical references, and put them here still.

Don't worry my friend, I really appreciate your effort! I do have some female dresses like that in the mod, as well as the head dress. But damn, that shirt looks really nice! I think I will replace a couple of the mod's tunics with it.

Well i managed to get my hands on my brother's laptop, but i won't be able to post anything for a few days, work,improvements to the house and so on,but here's something. i managed to find good pictures of old Finnic and Finnmarkian symbols that would be good as shield or cloth ornaments. Sorry if they are a little big this lap doesn't allow certain picture types.
3 picture from up. The Finnish hammer or "Ukonvasara" is our version of Thor's hammer, would be good on some clothing.
1st picture is a stylized old color palette picture from 1920's school book, the title is "Merchant's has come to sell his belongings and inspection of a sword".
2nd picture is an old symbol from Kalevala, with many swirls.
4 picture The blue-colored "Runonlaulajan kädet" is likewise an old Western Finland symbol, used from 700 AD at least.
5 picture "Hannunvaakuna" meaning coat of arms of Hannu, one of the oldest noble houses in Finland, first represented person lived in 8th century.
last picture is a stylized symbol from shields from a Viking-Age Finnmark and Lapland.

d9f6cdbf7eda46366d532fb687f735de.jpg

28ebc45118fd940110c003f3dac09790.jpg
ukonvasara.jpg
1200px-Runonlaulajan_k%C3%A4det.svg.png
315-3151772_file-noidansolmu-svg-wikimedia-commons-open-witches-knot.png
6178153134_6e3fd0c4b0_z.jpg

Well i finally managed to get back into my computer and i decided to give out some more pictures, had to reach for my friend for some of these.

1st picture: a so called "yleispuukko" meaning that this knife was used as a tool,ornament and a weapon.

2nd picture: a Viking Age Finnish man, notice the collar and long seax in the belt.

3rd picture: Reenactment of late Iron Age-Early Viking Age Finland, this particular place is Vihtala, the men at the background are wearing Norman-style clothing and armor but you can ignore that. Also notice the symbol in the right guy's shield, thats "kolmisydän" or Threeheart an old Finnish Pagan symbol.

4th picture: another render of a Finnmark couple from 800-900 AD.

5th picture: a picture of my friend's grandparents parents wearing the traditional Viking Age Karelian-East Finnish clothing. Which he allowed me to use,

42037873391_6e244c4c37.jpg

4a4cc12b865a0dcaf0e0cf5971b0a4aa.jpg

ED2ln0cXsAE4rxX.jpg

101096256_819232221813831_442027420641961408_n.jpg

D2dcLruAXTEI1jwtTcD4Sj0TrAZPH6qK2qcxZF3GY-rDFaTlLzDoPXmmq3C4ZTaxm7yEPiwnh1jc2wU9yKaFgYmVZuyfuxwxvdPslbh-lnurVw

Sorry but i haven't been able to post anything because i have been busy with work whole week is extremely intensive work, hopefully next week's Monday i can give some more pictures.

Heh, don't worry. I also have been re-working some of the things in the mod, adding some features etc. I also re-uv mapped from some Brytenwalda items and added some others that were re-made and given to me as a gift by oliver, author of the excellent 467AD mod.

Well it took some time but through my good friend who makes reenactments and has studied Viking Age Finland and Finnmark for 10 years, he gave me a few pictures that portay clothing of Finnmark,Finland and Karelia in 800-900 AD and more.

1st picture: a more wealthy merchant-prince from Finnmark.

2nd picture: reconstruction clothing, probably a middle or lower middle class man's from Vaasa's burial ground( these clothes were found from a Viking era "mount" grave.)

3rd and 4th picture: examples of kaftans used in Karelia, since it was relatively close to Novgorod and areas where the Rus/Variags ruled and their word held sway, their clothing got much inspiration from East, though not everyone wore this sort of clothing it depended on what culture were you more fond of or in more closer ties or who were your masters(if you had any direct ones).

5th picture: Very famous oil painting(" Vainolaista vastaan") from Pekka Salonen made in 1896, depicting Viking Age Finnish peasants going to war and engaging pillaging raiders and invaders. Finnish coast line was dotted with these so called "vainovalkeat" or foe fires, they told that an enemy war party was coming or had been seen sailing. Notice the simple clothing and that Nordic cap, in Finland we call it even in these modern times "the cap of Väinämöinen".

IMG_2548.jpg

17b36712ac6be6ca6b0ba30dd2c5f171.jpg

76ce2ce35495f8b3ffde25cba5e015b3.jpg

848af20ebbcedb75e88e4c6b067f0d80.jpg

Vainolaista_vastaan_Pekka_Halonen.jpg

Hey, thanks! Those are really helpful.
And, ah, Vainamoinen and the Kalevala. I freely confess to you that I first knew about them from the Scrooge McDuck story. :grin:

Yeah i couldn't get into contact with my smart friend since he was out in Lapland. now that i can get in contact with him he can help me with history and the clothing of Viking Age Scandinavia and Finland among other things.

Don Rosa actually made a full Kalevala story with Juha Heiskanen, i enjoyed this story very much because of it's authenticity and "kalevalamitta" meaning the Finnish characters speak a form of old Finnish a sort of singing that is still talking, i actually can read the "kalevalamitta" and understand it perfectly well even though it's very old style speech.

here's Don Rosa's adaptation of a famous Akseli Gallen-Kallela's painting " Sammon Puollustus" Defending the Sampo. As you can see the inspiration is quite clear.

9789513244668_26279_2048_600x600.jpg
Sammon_puolustus.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was referring at. That's one of my favourite Duck stories, with Luohi, that frog monster and all that. Very entertaining. :grin:
And thank you, for your continuing help and support!

I have been busy lately, even having visited my local bookshop and library to find some good reference material and so forth.

I try to give some new pictures and information from these books if i can

Well i managed to find some more pictures but unfortunately the safety measures in my laptop don't allow me to post pictures from these reference books( i'm trying to figure out what's causing the error to pop up)
Good thing that he gave me some links and good authentic pictures that will help.

1st picture: a typical Western Finnish coat with a Finnish seax(also called Leuku, knippi, kniva,kniv or most commonly puukko)

2nd picture: my friend's cousin who does reenactment sometimes dressed as an more wealthy peasant from Haukilahti, based on findings from that area about 850 AD.

3rd picture: A well-do housekeeper woman's clothing from Vaasa area, near the coast.

4th picture: a merchant's coat with a warm fur coat used mostly in winter, fall, but used very commonly in Finnmark, because of the cold.

5th picture: "pussihousut" or baggy pants, used very universally by commoners and the richer people of Scandinavia. there have been many findings of these sort of trousers in Finland.

6th picture: a horseman and a skiing infantryman from Karelia, notice the warm clothing and a hard-hitting mace. Finns were in the Viking Age adept at skiing, since every boy was expected to be able to ski when he reached the age of 10 and it was used in war times as a tactical move and a way to move fast from place to place, it's hard to hit a fast moving target obviously.( skiing soldiers, sometimes called "korpisoturi" were still used in 1939 when Finland was engaged in a defensive war against Soviet Union's Red Army,they were feared because in winter when combined with white camouflage it was almost always a shock and a surprise.)

7th picture: Finnish Seaxes(or puukkos) found from all around Finland and Karelia, these were used by soldiers, peasants, levies, militias, basically every man carried with him at least a puukko, to be used as an utility, tool, or a last resort weapon which was quite deadly if used to backstab or stab the chest. (there is an old saying in Finland that the puukko "knows" what it does and you can't control it.)

Cz-owiek-Retro-w-stylu-redniowiecznym-koszula-pirat-Viking-kostiumy-na-Halloween-renesansu-dekolt-w-serek.jpg_q50.jpg

157d0130af1be3155c3cd8e594febab2.jpg

e7d4f-muikkarit001.jpg

a058688b5631c3f8a327b7e2ed4be8c4.png

HG04-Linen-Viking-Warrior-Pants_08_LRG.jpg

latest
ca8b575054718450a1ee84dd07e62b33.jpg

Thank you! The meshes are very old, Alphadelta's Viknig Warriors tunics, from 2009 or so. But the texture is new, mdae by me and double the size of the original one. Clothes OSP for M&B are really rare. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom